hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I doubt think, even if it shown to be a good signing here, that this is anything like the mold we should be going for.
    So even if he is a good signing he isn't.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yeah, I somehow doubt that.

I will be the first to admit I'm wrong, and do so happily. Will all the ones giving me pelters on here do the same?

I doubt think, even if it shown to be a good signing here, that this is anything like the mold we should be going for.

Probably time to lay off the sauce for the rest of today lol.......

I don't envy our recruitment team

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    So even if he is a good signing he isn't.
    No. If he's a good signing, I'll be delighted. I won't be delighted if we are regularly signing players of this type, though. Hopefully a rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by HIbs2 View Post
    I don't envy our recruitment team
    This is a Ross signing 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Hold on, so even if he turns out to be a success it's not the kind of signing we should be making?? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever
    It makes perfect sense. I don't think 31 year olds on 12 month deal, that no one else seems to want are guys we should be signing. Might get the occasional success but really, it's not for me. Should be signing guys to take s spot, not fill one.

Coaching Staff
    No. If he's a good signing, I'll be delighted. I won't be delighted if we are regularly signing players of this type, though. Hopefully a rarity.
    Nah, that doesn’t make any sense.

We should know by now that no signing is a guaranteed success. We’ve had all sorts of results that don’t equate with what we thought when we signed them.

What is important is how they actually play and really how the overall team operates.

The only ‘type’ of signing that we should hope for are ones that improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Nah, that doesn’t make any sense.

We should know by now that no signing is a guaranteed success. We’ve had all sorts of results that don’t equate with what we thought when we signed them.

What is important is how they actually play and really how the overall team operates.

The only ‘type’ of signing that we should hope for are ones that improve the team.
    Right, and since everyone is saying he is a backup, he doesn't improve the team, does he?

The type of signing we should be looking for is ones that we need, can take us forward, are wanted by others. You know, like Mccrorie, or Nisbit, or Gogic, Doidge.

I don't think this is the type we should be going after when we desperately need a quality player in that role. That's all.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Right, and since everyone is saying he is a backup, he doesn't improve the team, does he?

The type of signing we should be looking for is ones that we need, can take us forward, are wanted by others. You know, like Mccrorie, or Nisbit, or Gogic, Doidge.

I don't think this is the type we should be going after when we desperately need a quality player in that role. That's all.
    I don’t think we “went after it” really, it was more circumstantial.

Who’s to say we aren’t looking for they types of signings still? I’m sure we can look at more than one player at the same time. Not that we had to use any resources to find S Mcginn

A back up does improve the team when they’re needed. It improves the squad as a whole. A great choice and experience to bring off the bench.

Coaching Staff

You can improve the overall team or squad at least by having cover and competition.

In any case you were saying even if he did well you wouldn’t be happy with signings like that.

Signings that do well are exactly what we should be happy with.

I don’t think anyone is saying this is going to be signing of the season but the other way it is a bit odd to be unhappy about bringing in some cheap back up. There’s really no particular downside to it.

You can improve the overall team or squad at least by having cover and competition.

In any case you were saying even if he did well you wouldn’t be happy with signings like that.

Signings that do well are exactly what we should be happy with.

I don’t think anyone is saying this is going to be signing of the season but the other way it is a bit odd to be unhappy about bringing in some cheap back up. There’s really no particular downside to it.
    Of course there is a downside, same as there was a downside to other backups signed. They cost a signing fee, wages etc that could go elsewhere. If he contributes, great. If he doesn't, wasted. I don't think it's a model we should be going for. Old guys who's best days are long gone (Watford spell being his best days, many years ago) to come in as backup. A younger player of similar ability would be so much better. I'd be surprised if he contributed more than Whittaker and we released him.

A good signing is a good signing whatever type.

What the Hamilton and St Mirren Covid acres have showed us is that it might well be a squad game this season. As such. Pretty delighted to get another experienced proven pro into the squad

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Good signing. He's played at a good standard and adds depth to an area of the squad where we are lacking.

Coaching Staff
    Of course there is a downside, same as there was a downside to other backups signed. They cost a signing fee, wages etc that could go elsewhere. If he contributes, great. If he doesn't, wasted. I don't think it's a model we should be going for. Old guys who's best days are long gone (Watford spell being his best days, many years ago) to come in as backup. A younger player of similar ability would be so much better. I'd be surprised if he contributed more than Whittaker and we released him.
    If you don’t think he is very good why would you want a younger version who would definitely cost us more and would, if you are right and they don’t contribute, we’d be stuck with longer?

It isn’t exactly a model we follow for every signing is it? As a short term thing in this environment it is sensible enough. When you add in that Ross clearly trusts him and his input it is frankly a bit baffling why anyone could get particularly negative about it.

An old guy at 31? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Good signing. He's played at a good standard and adds depth to an area of the squad where we are lacking.
    Agree lets hope we are right and all the Doubting Thomas's are wrong.Time will tell but this place is so full of negativity from the usual suspects.Lets give the guy s chance for Christ sake.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    A good signing is a good signing whatever type.
    Yes. But think of the players over the last 5 years we've signed who have been good. How many were this type? Maybe McGregor. Maybe Fontaine.

Then look at the ones who were young, raw, talented, energetic, could improve. Significantly outweighs anything else.

We have enough midfielders who can contribute here and there. Who can cover this position or that one. It's a real quality player we need and are hopefully focused on getting. Mcginn would make sense as a cheap option when our team was sorted and we have extra money for a body. I don't think we are there yet.

Did you see the Aberdeen game the other week?

Do you not think McGinn would have walked into that midfield and improved it?

I accept you're demanding high standards and you want to improve our first XI - so do I, and that's why I'll be miffed our business is finished here. I don't think it is though.

McGinn will play a part - not necessarily a 90 minutes every week part. Last season we ended up getting a lot more out of Whittaker than we had the previous 2 seasons, once we realised how best to use him and keep him injury free. McGinn might actually be able to offer us more being called upon occasionally rather than being a first pick every week.

I'm not seeing the downside here. We've signed a squad player. Every club needs squad players. If he forces his way in and earns a bigger role then even better. Ross will have seen this guy at close quarters, sees how he is relative to our current players and will have been able to decide exactly whether or not this is a justifiable addition - and has clearly decided based on that that he is. I'm fine with that.

If you don’t think he is very good why would you want a younger version who would definitely cost us more and would, if you are right and they don’t contribute, we’d be stuck with longer?

It isn’t exactly a model we follow for every signing is it? As a short term thing in this environment it is sensible enough. When you add in that Ross clearly trusts him and his input it is frankly a bit baffling why anyone could get particularly negative about it.

Can't disagree a kind of no lose signing. Capable and experienced who may do a job if he doesn't nothing really lost and he will probably be a good influence both in training and in dressing room. Not really worth the angst.

I guess we'll see. As I've said, he gets my full support.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Did you see the Aberdeen game the other week?

Do you not think McGinn would have walked into that midfield and improved it?

I accept you're demanding high standards and you want to improve our first XI - so do I, and that's why I'll be miffed our business is finished here. I don't think it is though.

McGinn will play a part - not necessarily a 90 minutes every week part. Last season we ended up getting a lot more out of Whittaker than we had the previous 2 seasons, once we realised how best to use him and keep him injury free. McGinn might actually be able to offer us more being called upon occasionally rather than being a first pick every week.

I'm not seeing the downside here. We've signed a squad player. Every club needs squad players. If he forces his way in and earns a bigger role then even better. Ross will have seen this guy at close quarters, sees how he is relative to our current players and will have been able to decide exactly whether or not this is a justifiable addition - and has clearly decided based on that that he is. I'm fine with that.
    On what I've seen, I do not think he would've improved us against Aberdeen, no. If he was good enough to improve us that much, we wouldn't be signing him after 7 games.

This getting to 9 pages is peak .Net Well done everyone.

@hibs.net private member
    I guess we'll see. As I've said, he gets my full support.
    Unless he reads your posts on here

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This getting to 9 pages is peak .Net Well done everyone.
    People having a discussion about football really isn't peak .net anymore.

Absolutely nothing wrong with discussing the merits of a signing.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Unless he reads your posts on here
    Probably gets worse from his missus than I've said on here. Nothing personal, I just think there is reason to question this signing, that is literally it.

People having a discussion about football really isn't peak .net anymore.

Absolutely nothing wrong with discussing the merits of a signing.
    Sorry peak. .MHHIBBIES

Yeah so welcome to the club, Stephen.

Glad that your mum and dad don't have to choose which son's game they have to miss anymore. One heads to England, one to ER. 💚

We all dream of a team full of McGinns...

@hibs.net private member
    I trust Jack Ross addition of a player he knows well. A good experienced pro is a welcome addition to the squad for me.

Clearly there are some on here that can’t wait to write their first after match “waste of money” posts about him, but for me he is a good experienced addition that will help on and off the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In a season where we will suffer the usual injuries and suspensions but also the unknown impact of covid 19, testing, quarantining against a back drop of no fans and reduced income then signing an experienced pro who knows the league, as a pool player makes absolute sense. I actually think we may need to rely on other similar type players to get us through the season. We could still be ravaged by covid and players of this type could prove vital. We need a squad, a pool, it cant all be first team signings. St Mirren team on Saturday was the perfect example how part of your team can be affected. Let's get behind him and cheer him on if and when required.