hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Good luck Stephen.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whittaker was signed to do the same thing, only problem was his contract length given his age but he deputised fairly well when called upon.
    Indeed, Whittaker took a lower salary, so in turn got a 3 year deal ..a decent outcome for both parties ..like this one. Ross knows this guy well, was his Captain..has played at a decent level, been around the place - feels like a no brainer. He’s not even 32 until the end of this year ..

We seen how bare we were in the middle against Aberdeen, McGinn would've fitted in nicely there.
    Absolutely.

Gogic turning an ankle the week before the Scottish Cup game with Hearts would have been panic stations before.

Obviously losing Gogic is never going to be ideal but we need to be in a position where losing one player doesn't damage us as much as Gogic missing the Aberdeen game did.

We were lost in that game. McGinn might not, by himself be able to reverse something like that altogether but he can certainly contribute.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    If he wasn’t required we wouldn’t have signed him. Welcome aboard Stephen .

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I believe we signed him so that those posters, largely missing since Saturday, could return to this board! Seriously, it's a cheap, short term contract to bring in a popular, experienced guy as back up. Whats not to like? I doubt it will have any impact on our overall signing strategy.
    PS, it now looks like history is being rewritten & the signing of Whitty was met with universal acclaim!!
    Exactly. It's been amazing how slow this place has been over the past couple of days.

He strikes me as a good solid pro who, if he has a similar attitude to his brothers, will be an excellent guy to have around the place.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Welcome to the Hibees Stephen!

Welcome on board. Could've done with you against Aberdeen when we didn't lay a glove on their midfield.
    Last edited by Brooster; 16-09-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Whittaker was signed to do the same thing, only problem was his contract length given his age but he deputised fairly well when called upon.
    Would disagree Whittaker was signed as cover. He was straight in to the team when he signed.

He was limited by injuries, thereafter, but he was signed to play and ended up playing Most of the big games when available.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    We seen how bare we were in the middle against Aberdeen, McGinn would've fitted in nicely there.
    Great point J-C

Full panic mode has set in with some on here, they dont know what cover means, wasting money etc etc.
    No one is panicing. You know its possible for people to have different opinions without deserving abuse from you?

Welcome aboard Stephen.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Who’s to say he will be cover, if we were to go 3 in the middle, he can play that role, with Gogic central and Newell left
    Also gives us some more options/formations
    Think he is predominately left sided.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Welcome on board. Could've done with you against Aberdeen when we didn't lay a glove on their midfield.
    Absolutely.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Can’t say im overly happy with this but willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Hes been training with us since we started back up but it’s took us until now to sign him on a 1 year deal? Seems very like we’ve not got who we’ve wanted and this is the back ups back up.

Its not like he was an unknown quantity either and wanted to assess how good he is, he’s been in the league for years and Ross has even managed him.

I imagine he will only ever be used as backup for Gogic however.

He’s been getting back to full fitness after a serious injury?

Even I know this, and I know nothing.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    A lot of these comments remind me of them Paul McGinn signed!

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Welcome Stephen. Now, quietly go about your business and make some people eat their words.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No one is panicing. You know its possible for people to have different opinions without deserving abuse from you?
    He's not even played ten minutes for us yet. Why not wait until you see how he does once he gets game time in the green and white.. Give the guy a chance to prove his worth before slating him. Dearie me.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Would disagree Whittaker was signed as cover. He was straight in to the team when he signed.

He was limited by injuries, thereafter, but he was signed to play and ended up playing Most of the big games when available.
    Possibly not exactly cover but was on a lot lower wage than many on here thought, he was also doing his badges and working with the youth players. He was a good solid pro to have around at the time, McGinn is helping out Ross and is also going into coaching too, good deal for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Genuine question, but what did you think we signed his brother Paul ? I’m not saying you did but more than one poster said he wasn’t good enough if we wanted to be challenging for 3rd. I don’t believe the money we had earmarked for McCrorie has disappeared, maybe we will still sign another promising youngster with potential for making us money in the future. Like we did with Nisbet.
    Wasn't Excited by it. We had Gray, James and Naismith. It seemed a panic buy due to injury's and James been frozen out. I knew he 'would do a job' but I didn't expect him to be as good as he has been, hopefully his brother has the same impact. Time will tell. But another Quality midfielder is a must.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think he is predominately left sided.
    Sorry I thought he was a rightie
    Anyway I like Newell on the right, cuts onto his left hand side

Right but he's shown nothing to suggest he is the level of Paul McGinn never mind John. Paul actually played and was wanted by that St Mirren side.

It doesn't matter really, does it. 2 guys left for nothing, both of whom are better than Stephen McGinn IMO.

I just really don't understand this signing. If his name wasn't McGinn and he didn't have a decent game against us about 4 years ago, plenty others would be unhappy as well. Bizarre signing when the money could be going to a real quality player in an area we desperately need one.
    Last sentence a bit panicky.

Look no abuse, that'll make you happy.

You can hardly call someone who hasn't kicked a ball for 9 months and not wanted by St Mirren or anyone else including Hibs for that matter until today anything other than a strange signing.

It doesn't mean its a bad signing though as its cheap, cheerful and he has obviously fitted in with the lads and there are plenty dross games coming up where he can play in to get match fit again.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    An improvement on Whittaker and Slivka from last season imo.
    Not a chance he's better than whittaker. He is a better option however than hallberg who is surely on borrowed time and offers absolutely nowt.

Last sentence a bit panicky.

Look no abuse, that'll make you happy.
    Yes, it does make me happy when you aren't calling me names and insulting me. How unreasonable of me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    You can hardly call someone who hasn't kicked a ball for 9 months and not wanted by St Mirren or anyone else including Hibs for that that matter until today anything other than a strange signing.

It doesn't mean its a bad signing though as its cheap, cheerful and he has obviously fitted in with the pads and there are plenty dross games he can play in to get match fit again.
    He's been training with us since the start of pre season.

Possibly not exactly cover but was on a lot lower wage than many on here thought, he was also doing his badges and working with the youth players. He was a good solid pro to have around at the time, McGinn is helping out Ross and is also going into coaching too, good deal for both parties.
    Time will tell if it’s a good deal for us I suppose (I’m not saying it won’t be).

What I find interesting is the whole ‘coaching’ aspect. We have Gray and McGregor with their long term contracts with that type of thing apparently included. Does it maybe tell us Ross wants his own guy and doesn’t see them getting in to that?

@hibs.net private member
    If he’s in as a backup player and we also bring in another midfielder, then fair enough. If he’s in as the alternative signing to McCrorie then it’s not the best.

We need another midfielder than can control the game, and despite some thinking otherwise, we also need another striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He's been training with us since the start of pre season.
    Yes that's what I meant. He has been here for 2/3 months without being offered anything which is quite unusual but probably needing to offload someone first probably James.

Left by mutual consent!
    Muckle surprise that the usual suspects question every single decision hibs make without an ounce of rational thought.

Yes, it does make me happy when you aren't calling me names and insulting me. How unreasonable of me.
    Didn't call you names and if saying you talk tripe or pish is insulting, you need to get out more or start developing a thicker skin.