hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anthony Stokes

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely.

A first team player at Hibs is probably on at least around £100-150k p/a before tax. If you get that for at least 10 years you should be able to live off it if you spend your money wisely and make sensible decisions etc.

That fact that he's spent a large chunk of his career at Celtic, Sunderland and Blackburn, making many times that amount of money suggests he would need to have really messed up to blow that by the time he's in his 30s.
    You really think people can live for the rest of their days off 10 years at £100k?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You really think people can live for the rest of their days off 10 years at £100k?
    No but it's a ****ing good start in life. I get so hacked off with the bull**** about football being a short career. It may be but it isn't the end of their working lives. The way that comes across is like when you stop playing football then you stop working, it's utter crap. 10 years at 100k and then on to a job that pays half of that. Yes please!! Cos by the time I have to move on I'd be mortgage free and have my self set up well.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    No but it's a ****ing good start in life. I get so hacked off with the bull**** about football being a short career. It may be but it isn't the end of their working lives. The way that comes across is like when you stop playing football then you stop working, it's utter crap. 10 years at 100k and then on to a job that pays half of that. Yes please!! Cos by the time I have to move on I'd be mortgage free and have my self set up well.
    Net they would be taking home £64,000. If they managed to save £20,000 a year they could put in a pension an get tax relief. But they still have to finance their life and that of their family for 30 years until retirement. So they need a a job that pays about £60,000 a year. A pretty long shot for the majority of players.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Net they would be taking home £64,000. If they managed to save £20,000 a year they could put in a pension an get tax relief. But they still have to finance their life and that of their family for 30 years until retirement. So they need a a job that pays about £60,000 a year. A pretty long shot for the majority of players.
    Why do they need a job that pays £60k a year when they finish playing? They could live off much less than that if they wanted.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Why do they need a job that pays £60k a year when they finish playing? They could live off much less than that if they wanted.
    I guess they would want to Maintain their lifestyle ..not essential of course, but often desirable

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I guess they would want to Maintain their lifestyle ..not essential of course, but often desirable
    Exactly and when needs must they can still live a decent life on far less.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    It is of course very desirable and it will be difficult to take a step down however I think most of us would accept £200,000 + along with all the adulation and good things that come with that for 6-10 years in the knowledge it won’t last forever. It is a great opportunity and start. If you have to settle for a “normal” job thereafter it is not the worst thing in the world. If you are willing to work someone will always give you a chance.
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 16-09-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I don’t think that is a very realistic view of that type of earning. If they are going to have no family, live in somewhere with virtually no mortgage and spend very little on stuff like cars then I’d still question being anywhere close to mortgage free and set up for life in 10 years.

Maybe it seems like a lot of money to some but it is pretty equivalent for example to people in professional roles or senior manager type roles in financial services. Not many folk are working 10 years then retiring or stepping down to lower roles or anything close to it.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    It is of course very desirable and it will be difficult to take a step down however I think most of us would accept £200,000 + along with all the adulation and good things that come with that for 6-10 years in the knowledge it won’t last forever. It is a great opportunity and start. If you have to settle for a “normal” job thereafter it is not the worst thing in the world. If you are willing to work someone will always give you a chance.

True, but the argument above is that a player could retire in their mid 30s and live off their football earnings for the rest of their life. That seems highly unrealistic.

Capitalism has a clever and nasty trick of convincing almost every participant that they need more money - that is how it works. Footballers don’t compare themselves to the average person earning an average wage but to their peers. If your team mates wear Gucci and drive Porsches you would need a very strong resolve not to get sucked in to that lifestyle.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    That is 30 years earnings for the most of us.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    And hardly any of us could retire after 30 years if our earnings were around £30k.

The vast majority of us will work 40+ years and still struggle to fund our retirement.

Stokes and Best in the same sentence - get a grip !!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Most folk’s lifestyle is based on their earnings. They earn £30k pa, they have outgoings less than that (assuming they’re not in masses of debt). They earn £100k, their outgoings are normally more (better car, bigger house, fancier holidays etc etc etc).

I’m sure there are some footballers earning £100k or so who save loads or bung lots of it into pensions but I’m guessing that more will be just enjoying their better-than-average earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by blaird03 View Post
    Stokes and Best in the same sentence - get a grip !!

Depends on the context I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Who was the better player for Hibs?

NB - it wasn't Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Who was the better player for Hibs?

NB - it wasn't Best!

@hibs.net private member
    Exactly. My post had nothing to do with their respective talent, but the similar result of their lifestyle stifling what they brought to the game way to soon.
    We should be applauding yet another great performance, not discussing his demise.

Blog Entries
    True, but the argument above is that a player could retire in their mid 30s and live off their football earnings for the rest of their life. That seems highly unrealistic.

Capitalism has a clever and nasty trick of convincing almost every participant that they need more money - that is how it works. Footballers don’t compare themselves to the average person earning an average wage but to their peers. If your team mates wear Gucci and drive Porsches you would need a very strong resolve not to get sucked in to that lifestyle.
    An aside bit of trivia. I heard somebody on the radio last week going on about Jamie Vardy having had only one car in his lifetime, a Vauxhall Astra, I think and still driving it. Rubbish of course, he drives a Bentley Continental GT...... a cool £150k.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    An aside bit of trivia. I heard somebody on the radio last week going on about Jamie Vardy having had only one car in his lifetime, a Vauxhall Astra, I think and still driving it. Rubbish of course, he drives a Bentley Continental GT...... a cool £150k.

Ha! Yeah it sounds like total BS. I don’t think Rebekah Vardy married him to keep chickens, tend a vegetable plot and live The Good Life.

Look at Logan at Aberdeen. Been training to become a spark for when his career finished, McAllister concentrated as a joiner with football as his sideline. There's more to life than tats and nandos😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Look at Logan at Aberdeen. Been training to become a spark for when his career finished, McAllister concentrated as a joiner with football as his sideline. There's more to life than tats and nandos😂😂
    Absolute no brainer. Pro footballers are in the privileged position to be able to have the time to learn things outwith football. A run of the mill Scottish Premiership player , if they played their cards right, could finish their career in football with a very comfortable bank balance then start a new career straight away.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Absolute no brainer. Pro footballers are in the privileged position to be able to have the time to learn things outwith football. A run of the mill Scottish Premiership player , if they played their cards right, could finish their career in football with a very comfortable bank balance then start a new career straight away.
    Armstrong ex Celtic now Southampton completed university degree just last season

Did Falkirk not have a random selection of doctors and lawyers playing for them years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee=legend View Post
    He was at Gleneagles with Tyson Fury on the drink all weekend and turned up for training absolutely steaming.
    Not for the first time either, Livi had enough and they agreed to terminate the contract.
    100% fact.
    Heard he was helping out at an old folks home entertaining them signing Elvis songs was late for training and Livvy binned him. It might be rubbish though 😐

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Most folk’s lifestyle is based on their earnings. They earn £30k pa, they have outgoings less than that (assuming they’re not in masses of debt). They earn £100k, their outgoings are normally more (better car, bigger house, fancier holidays etc etc etc).

I’m sure there are some footballers earning £100k or so who save loads or bung lots of it into pensions but I’m guessing that more will be just enjoying their better-than-average earnings.
    I read something a while back that suggest Andy Robertson lives of 10% of his salary and saves / invests the rest. Presuming he earns £80k a week that’s still £32k before deductions each month to live on very comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry just noticed this reply.

I'm sure making around £1 million over a period of maybe 10-15 years will give you a decent start in your post-playing life.

£100,000 per year should mean that if you invest your money wisely and don't lead an extravagant lifestyle, you should have money saved away as well.

I would need to work into my 70s to make the kind of money a Hibs player would make by their 30s.

Footballers will also get a decent sized pension even from a club like Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Sorry just noticed this reply.

I'm sure making around £1 million over a period of maybe 10-15 years will give you a decent start in your post-playing life.

£100,000 per year should mean that if you invest your money wisely and don't lead an extravagant lifestyle, you should have money saved away as well.

I would need to work into my 70s to make the kind of money a Hibs player would make by their 30s.

Footballers will also get a decent sized pension even from a club like Hibs.
    I doubt many people on £100k a year invest wisely whatever that means. They might save a few pounds a month, put money into a ISA and pension but it’s not going sustain you for life. Whilst it might seem big money for some, it’s not, as others have said the majority just have a more expensive life style. Bigger house and car and more holidays. I doubt may footballers live their lives as hermits and save every penny to give them a better start in life after their football career ends. Like all of us, when your young you want to enjoy yourself. There are very 20 somethings that save to have a better start to their 30s.

Football pays well compared to majority of careers but I doubt the likes of Hanlon or Stevenson will have earned enough at Hibs for them to never work again when they stop playing football.