hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Laying Down a Statement of Intent

If there was ever a game to do that, then Sunday is that game.

Not crucial, but pivotal.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rangers and Celtic are not our main rivals if there was a time for a statement it was last week and we missed our opportunity. Good bounce back result onwards and upwards.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rangers and Celtic are not our main rivals if there was a time for a statement it was last week and we missed our opportunity. Good bounce back result onwards and upwards.

Nah. Take them down a peg or two. We all love greetin Huns.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Nah. Take them down a peg or two. We all love greetin Huns.
    Totally agree but our main rivals are Aberdeen not Rangers

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    If we can avoid gifting them goals in the first ten minutes (like last Christmas) we can give them a proper game

I very much consider Rangers and Celtic to be our main rivals.

Aberdeen don't stop us winning trophies, the uglies do.

Agree, would LOVE to get a result against The Rangers next week, and am actually quietly confident we will perform

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    I very much consider Rangers and Celtic to be our main rivals.

Aberdeen don't stop us winning trophies, the uglies do.

Agree, would LOVE to get a result against The Rangers next week, and am actually quietly confident we will perform
    The dons do if they beat us in. Semis (which they have done recently)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Unfortunately Rangers are now on a different level again with Celtic. A draw would be a good result.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    No team is unbeatable.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    The Rangers are playing very well just now and look to be on a ‘ mission ‘ under Slippy G

Hopefully they will have a few injuries from the weekend and we can take advantage - get in their faces and get a result

Aberdeen are the same old Aberdeen under McWinless. Frustrating sucking the life out of every game using every trick in the book to get a result at all costs. Cheating bassas. Every time we play them I expect us to win but it never pans out that way

We need to be better than Aberdeen be consistent in the League and beat the Uglies any time we can

Onwards and upwards

Totally agree but our main rivals are Aberdeen not Rangers
    Long time since we were good enough to rival Aberdeen over a season.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Let’s stop their shutout record first then we can work on their ‘unbeaten’ run. I use ‘unbeaten’ like that because I saw a hun post on Twitter their ‘unbeaten’ run that didn’t include their games against Leverkusen but did include friendly results.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

The highest we've finished in the league in the last forty years is third, which I think we did three times.... the same number of times as we've been relegated. In fact, the last time we finished third was fifteen years ago.*

Let's be realistic here, unless Elon Musk has a bump on his head and decides to give us £500M, we're not competing with The Rangers any time soon

* Unless you count finishing third in The Championship

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It's a big ask to beat Rangers in their current form, but they aren't Bayern Munich and there's nothing to fear. We've beaten better Huns sides than their current one, so let's get stuck in from the first minute. The Old Firm hate it when teams don't let them play. Hassle and harry them and occasionally boot one of them up in the air.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Long time since we were good enough to rival Aberdeen over a season.
    Two years ago we were 2 games away from finishing above them

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Except that season.

Agreed, Aberdeen at home was the one to go and win. Rangers will be extremely tough.

Some big statement of intent is really nonsense as well. We beat Rangers early the season McLeish has us 3rd. We still totally disappeared after Christmas. Same in the season Collins had us flying. Finished bloody 6th.

A statement of intent would be being consistent over a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    They finished 6 points above us

We miss a penalty at Pittodrie

Lenny throws a wobbly

No one to blame but ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    They finished 6 points above us

We miss a penalty at Pittodrie

Lenny throws a wobbly

No one to blame but ourselves
    So, still only 2 games then? Fairly good considering the silly money advantage they had over us.

They look very good, although it’s also true that they haven’t been tested yet. I’d take another lucky Doidge deflection early doors, we weather the second half storm and Tommie tap in can tap it in in the 90th minute to seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    So, still only 2 games then? Fairly good considering the silly money advantage they had over us.
    Two games in which they maximised their points and we didn’t plus a +3 goal advantage

As I said no one to blame but ourselves

We move on

Agreed, Aberdeen at home was the one to go and win. Rangers will be extremely tough.

Some big statement of intent is really nonsense as well. We beat Rangers early the season McLeish has us 3rd. We still totally disappeared after Christmas. Same in the season Collins had us flying. Finished bloody 6th.

If we don’t get a result on Sunday it’s not the end of the world imho. As you’ve mentioned MW, it’s about consistency.

I think others have mentioned both the OF are on a different level but we need to compete and make it as difficult as possible for them.

3/4 this season is the very least we should be aiming for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Beating Rangers would be laying down a statement of intent to Aberdeen.

We lose, and Aberdeen beat Motherwell, then they are 1 point behind us with 2 games in hand.

Yes, Rangers and Celtic are not realistic rivals, but so far we are showing some constancy beating other teams (Aberdeen apart), so we need to clay back those lost 3 points from somewhere, and a win over Rangers and/or Celtic is where we need to get it.

You have to expect Aberdeen will pick up the same wins against the other teams as we do. And therefore the pivotal games will be the ones against each other and what surprises against the the Uglies. Aberdeen currently have the advantage and we need to get that back.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    If we don’t get a result on Sunday it’s not the end of the world imho. As you’ve mentioned MW, it’s about consistency.

I think others have mentioned both the OF are on a different level but we need to compete and make it as difficult as possible for them.

3/4 this season is the very least we should be aiming for.

Does it matter where the points come from?

We didn’t get them against Aberdeen and there’s nothing we can do about it now. Another 3 are available against Sevco.

*Obviously* it’s a tough assignment but I’m not convinced they are completely transformed from the team that threw away a lot of points in January and February.

Let’s ask them a few questions and see if they’ve got the answers. A very tricky tactical challenge for Jack and the team but one I hope they are relishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Does it matter where the points come from?

We didn’t get them against Aberdeen and there’s nothing we can do about it now. Another 3 are available against Sevco.

*Obviously* it’s a tough assignment but I’m not convinced they are completely transformed from the team that threw away a lot of points in January and February.

Let’s ask them a few questions and see if they’ve got the answers. A very tricky tactical challenge for Jack and the team but one I hope they are relishing.
    I don’t care where the points come from but want us to compete. Very hard game on Sunday and we need everyone on their game.

Of course we should be aiming to beat The Rangers however over the course of a full season realistically they are not our rivals. Aberdeen have been consistently better than us for some time but are well within reach we should aim to finish above them. Now that would be a statement of intent.

@hibs.net private member
    Taking points from the old firm is a huge part of being successful in the Scottish Premiership... but I’d argue that dropping points to anyone else... anyone... is more important.

At the beryl east we don’t want to be shipping multiple goals to Celtic or Rangers as being best of the rest can come down to goal difference. Close games, take a point or a win even better... but no point if we then go and lose or draw with bottom 6 teams.

Och, I see it as a free hit. The days of a swashbuckling young Hibs team showing Celtic and Rangers who's boss (at least at ER) are over.

I'd be happy with a point.

That last sentence is bang on.
    Aberdeen finish above us regularly primarily by being pretty consistent.

Putting aside the fact I like beating then more than any other team beating Rangers is only really of any use if we play consistently against the other teams which, tbf, we've made a relatively good fist of so far.

If we lose to both the ugly sisters and come back and win all three League matches in October that would be preferable to a glamour win against sevco and some disappointing results in the other games.

Blog Entries
    Any points taken from The Rangers or Celtic are always welcomed and enjoyed for the moment. In the greater scheme of things the odd win or draw against them has minimal effect. The added bonus of putting one up soorpus Gerrard would be icing on the cake.