Hanlon
    Doig

Boyle
    Gogic
    Newell
    Wright

Doidge
    Nisbet

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rocky

Boyle
    Mcginn
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Doig

Irvine/Kayal
    Gogic
    Newell

Nisbet
    Doidge

Was watching the 5-1 cup final win against Killie the other day. Stevenson in the middle might not be a bad shout.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was watching the 5-1 cup final win against Killie the other day. Stevenson in the middle might not be a bad shout.
    That was 13 years ago to be fair.

Can we stop the Stevenson in midfield chat. It’s not happening. We have about 8 players ahead of him for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He may go 352 but Rangers play with wide players and wingbacks, we need 3 in the middle to compete and 2 wide men to take care of their wingbacks, 433/451 for me.
    It will be interesting to see what JR comes up with. Will he drop one of the strikers? If so, which one? I don't see any merit in pushing Nisbet out wide.
    Doidge is more experienced, works so hard and plays a key role in defending set-pieces, but, at the moment, Nisbet looks more likely to tuck away a chance.
    Allan or Mallan and Wright in for a striker & Murphy might help us retain the ball a bit longer but it might not be enough to make a difference against an in-form Rangers.
    Kamara in for Jack and Arfield in for Barker / Aribo doesn't weaken them much.
    Most sides this season have simply packed their defence and hoped for the best against Rangers - and then been blown away.
    I'd like to see Wright and Boyle get at their full-backs but we need the ball first.
    A real test for our improved defence lies ahead and Porteous cannot afford any lapses of judgement (I still can't get over how crazy that handball was).
    Roll on the weekend...

Jack Ross will need to get this right as the diamond against them pre Christmas was a disaster

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Jack Ross will need to get this right as the diamond against them pre Christmas was a disaster
    He did seem to learn from that when we played them at Ibrox in February. We were unlucky that losing a goal right before half time changed the game completely. That said, the whole second half was then played in our half.

In that game, and it was the same when we played Celtic before Christmas last year, the likes of Boyle spent the whole game running back the way (think Boyle ended up playing left wing back against Celtic to try and match Frimpong).

Hopefully with a defence that seems more trustworthy, and some genuine protection from Gogic, we can let get our attacking players running the other way this time.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Can we stop the Stevenson in midfield chat. It’s not happening. We have about 8 players ahead of him for that role.
    I get what you're saying but I think we're all quite anxious about the dilemma facing Ross in picking a midfield for this match.

To get a result against Rangers we'll need to (at least) match their energy in midfield and make tackles. How many of these 8 players have Stevenson's energy? How many of them are stronger in the tackle? How many of them have played more games in midfield than him for us (albeit his have been spread over a very long period of time)? Also, the very valid reason against playing Lewis in midfield was always that he was needed at LB - that isn't the case right now.

I don't necessarily think it's the answer but short of bringing new blood in ahead of the game on Sunday I'm struggling to think of a better one. Stevenson and Gogic sitting in and snarling, Newell given a bit of freedom to get further forward - is it that bad an idea?

Wright for Murphy because of his ineligibility. Rest of the team have earned their start IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I get what you're saying but I think we're all quite anxious about the dilemma facing Ross in picking a midfield for this match.

To get a result against Rangers we'll need to (at least) match their energy in midfield and make tackles. How many of these 8 players have Stevenson's energy? How many of them are stronger in the tackle? How many of them have played more games in midfield than him for us (albeit his have been spread over a very long period of time)? Also, the very valid reason against playing Lewis in midfield was always that he was needed at LB - that isn't the case right now.

I don't necessarily think it's the answer but short of bringing new blood in ahead of the game on Sunday I'm struggling to think of a better one. Stevenson and Gogic sitting in and snarling, Newell given a bit of freedom to get further forward - is it that bad an idea?
    He can't get in the team at his own position never mind one he hasn't played in years.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    He can't get in the team at his own position never mind one he hasn't played in years.
    He's got a good player, well suited to the role of LB ahead of him there right now.

We don't have many people better suited to playing CM than him right now.

Not saying it's an ideal option but how often has Lewis Stevenson had a challenge like that thrown down to him and he's not risen to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Wright for Murphy because of his ineligibility. Rest of the team have earned their start IMO.
    Agreed

@hibs.net private member
    I’d like to see a change to the shape as I don’t think we are good enough to go with just 2 in the middle of the park. I would like us to keep 2 strikers so I’d go 3-5-2

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Think we will only play one up. Important against Rangers to limit or double up in wide areas. Think Wright will come in for Murphy and possibly Nisbet as an attacking mid or possibly Mallan in that role with Nisbet on the bench, Allan also a possibility however think we need legs in that area. Looks like Jack will be out who is a key player. Need to compete then score on the break.

I'd have Ben Stirling in there before Stevenson... But i actually dont think he will change much from what he played at the weekend. You cannot win by playing behind the ball v Rangers. The only chance we have a getting a result is pushing them up the pitch. If we end up changing to wingbacks etc those wingbacks will spend the whole game defending and it will only be a matter of time until we lose goals. We just need to ensure we score more goals than them.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I'd have Ben Stirling in there before Stevenson... But i actually dont think he will change much from what he played at the weekend. You cannot win by playing behind the ball v Rangers. The only chance we have a getting a result is pushing them up the pitch. If we end up changing to wingbacks etc those wingbacks will spend the whole game defending and it will only be a matter of time until we lose goals. We just need to ensure we score more goals than them.
    Exactly, the reason we have had so much joy over the old firm in recent years over say an Aberdeen is we have had a go at them where as Aberdeen have tried to contain them.

Stevenson hasn’t played centre mid for years yet think he’d be able to seamlessly slot back into a centre mid position against rangers Too much fifa thinking going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Stevenson hasn’t played centre mid for years yet think he’d be able to seamlessly slot back into a centre mid position against rangers Too much fifa thinking going on.
    Yeah, but who is going to slot in seamlessly?

Ben Stirling, who hasn't started a game for us before?

We've got 10 players who essentially pick themselves into either a 352 or 451 formation. That final, tricky player is key to the whole thing, and we look good if that 11th player is a particular type of player (the type of player Lewis Stevenson once was and might still be, depending on opinion).

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    He's got a good player, well suited to the role of LB ahead of him there right now.

We don't have many people better suited to playing CM than him right now.

Not saying it's an ideal option but how often has Lewis Stevenson had a challenge like that thrown down to him and he's not risen to it?
    Not the time to experiment with Lewis in midfield, League Cup ties would be a better option than against a high flying Rangers.

Hibs 7/1 or 11/1 Ht - Ft 🧐

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Hibs 7/1 or 11/1 Ht - Ft 🧐
    11/2 to be leading at half time

Fear will we be overrun with the two big lads up front and potentially isolated.
    Rocky
    McGinn Porteous Hanlon
    Wright Hallberg Gogic Newell Doig
    Boyle Doidge

Nisbet can come on for the last half hour and bang in the winner.
    Doidge gets the nod for his defensive duties on set pieces and Boyle can bomb about in a free role.
    Hallberg wouldn't be first choice but offers a bit more dig than Mallan.

Rocky

Mcginn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Newell
    Gogic
    Stevenson
    Doig

Doidge
    Nisbet

Don't rate Hallberg, not sure it's the game for Mallan. Throw stevenson in the middle of the park to give us a bit more dig, energy and much needed experience.

..................Marciano...............

McGinn.....Porteous.....Hanlon.....Doig..

...........Gogic.............Newell.....

Boyle...........Mallan..............Nisbet.......

....................Doig.........

Nisbet playing a bit out of position but nothing he’s not capable of imo and I think he’d terrorise Tavernier with his physicality and direct approach. Would be look for it to be much more of a 433 than 451 but obviously defensive duties need to be done so we don’t get overrun.

Either that team or a 442 with Wright in for Mallan and push Nisbet up top.

352 for me allows rangers far too much joy in the wide areas as Kent and whoever else is on the wing tuck in so our 3 centre half’s would be man marking their front 3. They would then get so much joy from midfield runners and wingbacks bombing on.

442 is risky as they’ll have the extra man in midfield which would cause a lot of issues but 2 up top and attacking wingers would really trouble them.

@hibs.net private member
    Marciano

McGinn
    Porto
    Hanlon

Boyle
    S. McGinn/Hallberg
    Goga
    Newell
    Doig

Nisbet
    Doidge

I wouldn't be playing two up front against Rangers. They'd over run us. I'd pack the midfield and try and stop them getting any service to the strikers. Gerrard knows it too and mentioned us being dangerous playing two up front in his press conference. Reverse phycology there.
    Last edited by Since452; 18-09-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    ..................Marciano...............

McGinn.....Porteous.....Hanlon.....Doig..

...........Gogic.............Newell.....

Boyle...........Mallan..............Nisbet.......

....................Doig.........

Nisbet playing a bit out of position but nothing he’s not capable of imo and I think he’d terrorise Tavernier with his physicality and direct approach. Would be look for it to be much more of a 433 than 451 but obviously defensive duties need to be done so we don’t get overrun.

Either that team or a 442 with Wright in for Mallan and push Nisbet up top.

352 for me allows rangers far too much joy in the wide areas as Kent and whoever else is on the wing tuck in so our 3 centre half’s would be man marking their front 3. They would then get so much joy from midfield runners and wingbacks bombing on.

442 is risky as they’ll have the extra man in midfield which would cause a lot of issues but 2 up top and attacking wingers would really trouble them.
    Think it will be a 451 or 4231 hoping to win the ball and break quick. Wright possibly in for Nisbet on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I wouldn't be playing two up front against Rangers. They'd over run us. I'd pack the midfield and try and stop them getting any service to the strikers. Gerrard knows it too and mentioned us being dangerous playing two up front in his press conference. Reverse phycology there.
    Agree with that pack the middle and double up wide and break quick. Need to be much more difficult to play against than we were in our last home game against them. Livingston dealt with them well and limited them to very few chances and hopefully we could win the ball and break better than they did and be a threat. Stay in the game is the first priority imo.

Marciano

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Doig

Boyle
    Hallberg
    Gogic
    Newell
    Wright

Doidge

Lots of hard work for our centre forward. Hopefully Boyle can get to his side when we break.