hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Joe Newell

I thought Newell looked much more like the player we were seeing last season today. Ross obviously likes him and has persisted in playing him despite his performances not being as good as before.
    Let’s hope he kicks on from this mom performance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Vere View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Newell looked much more like the player we were seeing last season today. Ross obviously likes him and has persisted in playing him despite his performances not being as good as before.
    Let’s hope he kicks on from this mom performance.
    It’s a myth that his performances weren’t good. He was playing the role hes been asked to play, sitting deep and popping the ball about. Ross said himself that he asked him to be more adventurous yesterday. A very good footballer that we’re lucky to have.

He looks amazing against really bad midfields but up against a combative midfield he wilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It’s a myth that his performances weren’t good. He was playing the role hes been asked to play, sitting deep and popping the ball about. Ross said himself that he asked him to be more adventurous yesterday. A very good footballer that we’re lucky to have.
    I don’t think there was any myth about his recent performances. He, and we, were poor. Yesterday he, and we, were much better. We need to see more of that from Newell. It was the first time in a few weeks that he influenced the game, not just because he scored, but actually taking the ball and passing it forward.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I don’t think there was any myth about his recent performances. He, and we, were poor. Yesterday he, and we, were much better. We need to see more of that from Newell. It was the first time in a few weeks that he influenced the game, not just because he scored, but actually taking the ball and passing it forward.
    Next week will be a big test for Newell (and the rest). Can he influence a game in adversity, compete against players who are better and more able and still drive the team forwards? Hibs need to be dynamic, willing to take the game to Rangers and we need the men in midfield to have an influence on the play. Newell has a great chance to demonstrate why he should be a first pick.

Midfield had much better balance.

Gogic is just a the perfect fit for us, allows Newel to dictate from deep and come forward and Murphy comes inside and looks more effective than Horgan. Boyle continues to get into great positions in attack.

Against a stronger midfield (like Aberdeen) it was no surprise we lacked any influence as up against McCrorie and Ferguson.

We still need another CM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    He looks amazing against really bad midfields but up against a combative midfield he wilts.

Wilts is a laughable exaggeration. The whole team struggled without 2 key players against Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Wilts is a laughable exaggeration. The whole team struggled without 2 key players against Aberdeen.
    It’s not just Aberdeen though is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It’s not just Aberdeen though is it?

This season, yes. Motherwell was far more to do with forwards not holding it imo. In both these games we have missed excellent chances that would have enabled us to take control. Our midfield hasn't wilted at all this season. Been poor or outplayed maybe, not wilted. You'll have a rough time signing anyone who won't have tough games against the better sides. Even Mcginn wasn't always perfect.

Next week is a big test.

This season, yes. Motherwell was far more to do with forwards not holding it imo. In both these games we have missed excellent chances that would have enabled us to take control. Our midfield hasn't wilted at all this season. Been poor or outplayed maybe, not wilted. You'll have a rough time signing anyone who won't have tough games against the better sides. Even Mcginn wasn't always perfect.

Next week is a big test.
    Motherwell was also to do with them having 3 against our 2, and their three were excellent players, one of which has just moved for £3m. You can’t afford to do that. Our problem against Aberdeen was the fact our front 4 were off it massively, and our full backs never got high and supported.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Next week is a big test.
    Is wilted not just another adjective for outplayed/dominated/lost the midfield battle?

I didn’t see the game yesterday but sounds like he had a good game. My only caution would be that we’ve been here before and he’s quickly gone back to being ineffective in the next few games. As well as the fact we played one of the poorer teams in the league who it sounds like they sat off us and tried to play football.

Over his whole time I’ve still to be convinced he’s good enough/consistent enough to be a mainstay of the midfield and not an excellent squad player.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    I wouldnt be adverse to have a midfield 3 that contained Newell

Hypothetically

Gogic

Alan Campbell. joe newell

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Can we not just enjoy what was a very good performance by him yesterday? Far too many appear willing to knock him down or build him up - what next he'll be compared to either a Brian Kerr or a Kaka.

He's shown glimpses of play that would make you think he would perform well in the English Championship, but then at times he looks like he would struggle in the English Conference (or whatever it's called today). I suppose that's why he's at Hibs.

Let's hope he continues his good form from yesterday in the next two games against the Old Firm.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Can we not just enjoy what was a very good performance by him yesterday? Far too many appear willing to knock him down or build him up - what next he'll be compared to either a Brian Kerr or a Kaka.

He's shown glimpses of play that would make you think he would perform well in the English Championship, but then at times he looks like he would struggle in the English Conference (or whatever it's called today). I suppose that's why he's at Hibs.

Let's hope he continues his good form from yesterday in the next two games against the Old Firm.
    Agree, generally hes had a good start to the season and hopefully more to come.

Was that his first competitive goal?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Thought he had a great game. Difference imo with Gogic and Murphy in midfield and 2 forwards to hit. Brilliant finish for second goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post

This season I think so

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thought he had a great game. Difference imo with Gogic and Murphy in midfield and 2 forwards to hit. Brilliant finish for second goal.
    It’s a team game and I think you’re bang on.
    Better balance and great to have Nisbet back.
    He just seems like the sort of player that whenever he gets the ball you feel something good could happen.
    Also think Doidge work ethic is outstanding. Tireless for the team.
    Last edited by Percy Vere; 13-09-2020 at 10:43 AM.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Interesting after match from Ross saying its getting him to believe and perform like that week in week out

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Disagree that he wasn’t playing well. Think he has been short of match fitness and confidence. You maybe right that he was being asked to do a role that limited his performance. Hope he keeps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post

It was his 1st league goal. Scored in League Cup last year v Elgin.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Thought Newell either found or to some extent was given more time and space to play yesterday and took advantage with a good performance.

He's failed to shine against the better sides mostly so hopefully he'll turn up against the hun next week. No room for passengers in that one.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I think gogic is really important for newell, let’s him be more free and express himself more

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Interesting that JR is challenging him to be more consistent, because that’s undoubtedly been his big problem IMO. I thought he was very poor in the previous few games, but put in consistent performances like he did yesterday and I’d look to offer him a new deal. Be interesting to see how he does in the next few games because he won’t be afforded the time on the ball he was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Interesting that JR is challenging him to be more consistent, because that’s undoubtedly been his big problem IMO. I thought he was very poor in the previous few games, but put in consistent performances like he did yesterday and I’d look to offer him a new deal. Be interesting to see how he does in the next few games because he won’t be afforded the time on the ball he was yesterday.
    In those games that you think he's been very poor, how did the rest of the team play?

I think that we all agree that the whole team hasn't been performing that well in a creative sense. Is that Newell's fault, when it's a team game.

It was interesting that last night I watched the highlights of the Hibs 4 - Aberdeen 1 SC Replay from 2007 and thought "we don't have someone like Scott Brown, who takes control of the midfield and drives us forward against the good teams". Let's be honest, we've not had many players like that over the years since.

Then I reflected that Brown was playing alongside Thomson, Stewart and Boozy in midfield. He had Sproule and Fletcher ahead of him and Benji when he came on at half-time. He had Murphy and Whittaker at full back and the reliable central defence of Jones and Hogg. The rest of the team allowed him to play the way he did.

It's a team game. Newell played well when the team was dominant. He's played poorly when the team is playing poorly. If he was reliably able to single-handily drag Hibs from playing poorly to getting a result, he probably won't be at Hibs much longer.

In those games that you think he's been very poor, how did the rest of the team play?

I think that we all agree that the whole team hasn't been performing that well in a creative sense. Is that Newell's fault, when it's a team game.

It was interesting that last night I watched the highlights of the Hibs 4 - Aberdeen 1 SC Replay from 2007 and thought "we don't have someone like Scott Brown, who takes control of the midfield and drives us forward against the good teams". Let's be honest, we've not had many players like that over the years since.

Then I reflected that Brown was playing alongside Thomson, Stewart and Boozy in midfield. He had Sproule and Fletcher ahead of him and Benji when he came on at half-time. He had Murphy and Whittaker at full back and the reliable central defence of Jones and Hogg. The rest of the team allowed him to play the way he did.

It's a team game. Newell played well when the team was dominant. He's played poorly when the team is playing poorly. If he was reliably able to single-handily drag Hibs from playing poorly to getting a result, he probably won't be at Hibs much longer.
    That was a good team. You forget, usually because we don’t get to hold onto great teams for very long. You’re right of course it’s a team game but it’s interesting how well he does when the formation and the form is right.
    We still need a midfielder who bosses the play and takes the team forward.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

Defence aside no they probably didn’t, but this thread is about Joe Newell not his team mates. Playing poorly isn’t a one off for Joe Newell, look at threads from last season where albeit he was played wide, there was a lot of criticism for his performances.

I agree it’s a team game and players complement each other, hopefully allowing them to do what they do best. However that’s not to say a player can be excused a poor performance just because those around them are having a bad game. There has been similar chat that McGeouch and Allan only did as well because they had SJM beside them, but McGeouch will always do what McGeouch does regardless of those around them and in Allan’s case something isn’t clicking with him at present, players playing well beside him won’t make much of a difference to that IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Sky's MOTM yesterday.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    He needs to find a bit more consistency in his game, at times he’s looked brilliant and at others he’s been ineffective. He plays in a position that’s pivotal to how we play and if he’s not on it we struggle.

United we stand here....

Pirlo Newell 👌.
    Can sometimes look majestic the way he floats around the park,but I’m always conflicted by joe.need to see more games like Livvy and yesterday to say he’s an out and out player.I love the days when he’s pinging passes and whipping crosses.not so much the days when he plays the ball backwards constantly,keeps his stats tidy but doesn’t drive the team forward when we are in the thick of the harder games,we need that and lack that in midfield.
    Still a player who I like ,and seems to be growing at hibs.
    Hope he stays beyond next summer and kicks on.a lot to play for this season Though , and joe will be key to how much we can achieve I feel.
    Seems a top lad as well.

Newell like many others that have been here suffer from inconsistency, if they didn't they'd be nowhere near us. It's all about trying to make them better and more consistent if possible.