hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affiliate club

Affiliate club

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to perhaps look into building a partnership with a ‘bigger’ club from down south or abroad in which we can take their fringe or younger players on loan. Could also present the opportunity of a ‘glamour’ friendly and build our reputation.

I think Aberdeen have something in place with an American team? With Ron’s American background perhaps this is something he may also be looking into with Mathie? Not particularly sure how the finances work in these particular cases.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Houston Dynamo would be a fine idea.......

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Palmeiras. A club also formed by and for discriminated immigrants. Do it.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Houston Dynamo would be a fine idea.......
    Firstly A) I am crashing on your couch should this happen and B) NYRB would be better...

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Firstly A) I am crashing on your couch should this happen and B) NYRB would be better...
    No problem on suggestion A, bollocks to suggestion B............

I’m not sure what the benefits to us would be from such a scheme. I mean, say you partnered with a club in a top league, they’re not likely to send their best young players here, like, Chelsea say, would continue sending players to the English Championship, rather than form a partnership with a Scottish club.

We’d likely get the players they were less certain would make it at a high level, in exchange, they get first pick of any good player we produce, potentially at a lower price.

As I say, I don’t see the benefit.

Maybe Bayern Munich fancy putting some of their youth prospects out on loan in Scotland for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Maybe Bayern Munich fancy putting some of their youth prospects out on loan in Scotland for a while.
    Yea so they can get sh it kicked out of them playing Killie etc.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Were we not meant to have had some sort of tie-in with Chelsea at one point (pre Abramovitch) which didn't really come to anything?

First Team Breakthrough
    Aberdeen have this arrangement with Atlanta United. They had Jon Gallagher on loan last season who played 22 games scoring 1 goal

If it was up to me I found get an affiliate club in Europe rather than down south as I don't think they will look down on the league as much as they do down there.

My suggestions

Marseille (The Sauzee factor)
    Hoffenheim (Long tradition of great youth talent)
    Ajax (Arguably the best youth set up in Europe)
    Sporting Lisbon (Some guy called Cristiano Ronaldo came through their set up)

Only UK club I would probably like to see us team up with is West Ham

Very rarely to young players from the EPL come up to the premiership on loan and do well. The step up comes as a surprise to them.

Didn't we have something like this with Chelsea before? If I recall we ended up with Yves Ma-Kalambay.

How about we make ourselves a big club and farm our potential young players out to Affiliate Clubs.

EZ
    Last edited by eezyrider; 11-09-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Palmeiras. A club also formed by and for discriminated immigrants. Do it.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    And I thought affiliate was a sex act.

Quote Originally Posted by St Pauli Hibee View Post
    Aberdeen have this arrangement with Atlanta United. They had Jon Gallagher on loan last season who played 22 games scoring 1 goal

If it was up to me I found get an affiliate club in Europe rather than down south as I don't think they will look down on the league as much as they do down there.

My suggestions

Marseille (The Sauzee factor)
    Hoffenheim (Long tradition of great youth talent)
    Ajax (Arguably the best youth set up in Europe)
    Sporting Lisbon (Some guy called Cristiano Ronaldo came through their set up)

Only UK club I would probably like to see us team up with is West Ham
    Why West Ham? Horrid club with awful owners..?!

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    It was around 2004/2005 I think that we were in talks with Chelsea about something like this, around the time we had Rocastle on loan from them. We didn't go for it in the end as the terms were much more favourable to them than to us.

Something I could see happening is Celtic or the Rangers "coming to the rescue" of a Covid afflicted lower league club in the next year or two, and turning them into a Colts side by another name in the process.

Ive always wondered why we don't have an official partnership with Groningen in the Netherlands, after all the fans are well affiliated.

Two similar sized clubs, within easy distance of each other. Just think what we could learn and get out of working closely with a Dutch academy.

I'm sure there would be many other positives for both parties.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Ive always wondered why we don't have an official partnership with Groningen in the Netherlands, after all the fans are well affiliated.

Two similar sized clubs, within easy distance of each other. Just think what we could learn and get out of working closely with a Dutch academy.

I'm sure there would be many other positives for both parties.
    As an aside, with out close proximity to Holland, think Amsterdam is nearer to Edinburgh than London? Why have there been so few players over the years played in Scotland

Rangers had some of the top ones, when Murray was splashing the cash

Do the Dutch clubs of our level, pay much more than we do, or are they comfortable, like most Scottish players, to stay at home

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Does anyone think it would be a good idea to perhaps look into building a partnership with a ‘bigger’ club from down south or abroad in which we can take their fringe or younger players on loan. Could also present the opportunity of a ‘glamour’ friendly and build our reputation.

I think Aberdeen have something in place with an American team? With Ron’s American background perhaps this is something he may also be looking into with Mathie? Not particularly sure how the finances work in these particular cases.
    No. We should never be any other teams ‘feeder club’.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    As an aside, with out close proximity to Holland, think Amsterdam is nearer to Edinburgh than London? Why have there been so few players over the years played in Scotland

Do the Dutch clubs of our level, pay much more than we do, or are they comfortable, like most Scottish players, to stay at home
    No one mention de Graaf please.......

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    No one mention de Graaf please.......
    I didn’t😄

I didn’t😄
    😂😂

I found a list of club budgets, from three seasons back. Celtc and The Rangers could compete on wages but nobody else in Scotland

The most reason figure I found for PSV had them down as having around €97M (~£90M), with Ajax not too far behind.

Let's be honest, you wouldn't move from The Netherlands to live and play in Scotland unless somebody offered you a lot of money.

Am sure Ron Gordon referred to this as part of his vision for the future.
    Worth bearing in mind that affiliate wasnt just about the movement of players but also the sharing of information as well. It would be lovely to have the finances of Man City and have their network of clubs but there is no reason Hibs couldnt do the same, even if it was their own version of it.
    For exampe , if there was a network of clubs Hibs were affiliated to , you could share scouting information , commercial ideas , coaching or sport science methods. To be honest , if there was an association between similar clubs , it may be possible to have commercial partners interested in sponsoring group rather than a single club.
    Also , no reason why Hibs couldnt be the bigger club. If one of the intentions for the future was to develop and promote youth players then why cant we be seen as the the club at the top of the pyramid. The better players could feed into the Hibs set up just as simpy as we are talking about our players going to 'bigger clubs'. No reason why good young players from UK and Ireland cant feed into Hibs. Hibs could reciprocate by using these clubs for loans or developing coaches. After all , why keep going out to the market every time a manager leaves and trying to recruit another manager and his assistants when you could be developing your own coaches. Not only is it cheaper but maintains a continuity in the style of play you want to endorse.

It's not a bad idea. Let's face it unless you are one of about 6 or 7 clubs in the world then every team is a feeder club to one extend or another.

Celtic who are the biggest club in the country are essentially a feeder club to the English Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Why West Ham? Horrid club with awful owners..?!
    West Ham are a decent club with trully horrible owners.

Do Southampton still have a decent academy? There was a time that it seemed every decent player in england was coming through their system.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar

To be more accurate Murray was splashing the Bank’s cash.

Per Ron Gordon, we're looking into a strategic partnership with a team fro. The USA, so who knows.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Per Ron Gordon, we're looking into a strategic partnership with a team fro. The USA, so who knows.
    Portland Timbers?
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16