hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griffiths

Griffiths

A bit of controversy surrounding Leigh after the game.

He liked a picture of Lafferty crying after NI lost. It turns out KL lost his sister only last week, and there's a lot f rage directed to Griffiths suggesting he knew about that and that's why he liked the post.

What's everyone's take on it? I must admit I almost liked the pic of him crying too, but realised that could easily have been our boys

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He liked a picture of Lafferty crying after NI lost. It turns out KL lost his sister only last week, and there's a lot f rage directed to Griffiths suggesting he knew about that and that's why he liked the post.

What's everyone's take on it? I must admit I almost liked the pic of him crying too, but realised that could easily have been our boys
    Probably in poor taste to have done it as a pro footballer to be slagging him for not qualifying and being upset by it. Next to no chance he done it because his sister died though and to suggest so is in even poorer taste imo.

I'm sure Leigh was simply still on cloud nine after the Scotland result and was only thinking about football when he liked the post. Not very clever considering he just lost his sister but no malice intended and purely football related for me.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Load of *****. His tweet had nowt to do with Laffertys sister and everything to do with enjoying seeing a prick upset that his country didn't qualify for the Euros.

I'm more than happy to laugh at Lafferty not qualifying for the euros. **** him, he's a welt.

Shame about his sister, of course it is, not relevant to the above though.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Load of *****. His tweet had nowt to do with Laffertys sister and everything to do with enjoying seeing a prick upset that his country didn't qualify for the Euros.

I'm more than happy to laugh at Lafferty not qualifying for the euros. **** him, he's a welt.

My thoughts exactly Easty

All of the above I agree with and is correct. It won't stop the narrative being different though, Leigh should realise by now that social media is not a good thing for him. It's brought him nothing but trouble and I don't see what he gains by having it.

He isn't the brightest.
    There is no malice in him. He just sees and reacts without engaging his brain.
    Those with an agenda quickly latched onto it. It's the modern way sadly.

His apology isn't very good either.
    Should keep away from social media.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    He isn't the brightest.
    There is no malice in him. He just sees and reacts without engaging his brain.
    Those with an agenda quickly latched onto it. It's the modern way sadly.

His apology isn't very good either.
    Should keep away from social media.
    He shouldn't even have apologised.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    No chance it had anything to do with his sister, the uproar is farcical tbh, although it's mainly huns who will be raging Scotland never got beat last night.

The boy needs to stay off Twitter though, manages to get himself into some stinking situations.

He shouldn't even have apologised.
    No other player on the planet was stupid enough to like the photo.
    He puts the t in thick.
    If he was a fish, anglers would be sick of catching him
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 13-11-2020 at 11:35 AM.

As i said on the other thread the MAN (he's 30!), needs to remove himself from all socials. He constantly makes are arse of himself. He's not some daft wee laddie. Grow up and concentrate on what you are paid to do.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Haven’t seen the tweet and wasn’t aware of the sad news about Lafferty. Basing it solely in a football context it’s not the end of the world, but a pretty crass think to do to a fellow footballer.

I’m not so sure folk would be so nonplussed if Lafferty had mocked Griffiths for Scotland not qualifying.

Unless anyone can prove that LG knew about Lafferty's sister and liked the picture because of that then it's all just supposition.

It probably wasn't the smartest move liking such a picture regardless of the circumstances, footballers aren't just 'normal lads', but it's total mountain out of a molehill stuff. Such is the way when the social media lynch mobs come after you though.

Let's be totally honest; Rangers fans on twitter don't really care about the loss the Lafferty family have endured, it's just an excuse to aim sectarian abuse and abuse about mental health at LG. Using such a tragedy for their own ends is the lowest of the low.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

No one in 2020 on social media is going to lose the opportunity to put on a holier than thou moral outrage performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Unless anyone can prove that LG knew about Lafferty's sister and liked the picture because of that then it's all just supposition.

It probably wasn't the smartest move liking such a picture regardless of the circumstances, footballers aren't just 'normal lads', but it's total mountain out of a molehill stuff. Such is the way when the social media lynch mobs come after you though.

Let's be totally honest; Rangers fans on twitter don't really care about the loss the Lafferty family have endured, it's just an excuse to aim sectarian abuse and abuse about mental health at LG. Using such a tragedy for their own ends is the lowest of the low.
    exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Good post👍

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

There is absolutely no question that he liked it because he knew about KL's sister.

What kind of moron would suggest something like that?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    LG has apologised and has insisted it was for purely footballing reasons. As if it needed clarification.

Real shame about Lafferty's sister, hopefully the family and him are okay.

He's still an absolutely prick, though. Nothing wrong with the tweet. Obviously not intentional.

What kind of world do we live in where a "like" on social media can cause all this

This whole social media crap does my head in. As others have said, it would have been football related banter that's now being twisted out of proportion by those who have an interest to chuck mud (or worse) at Leigh Griffiths.

How many other players liked the tweet? Leigh doesn't help himself. Take dead sisters out of it as don't see any intention there but imagine the roles were reversed. We were out and N.Ireland had qualified. Lafferty likes a tweet mocking us in defeat, I just don't see the point.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    How many other players liked the tweet? Leigh doesn't help himself. Take dead sisters out of it as don't see any intention there but imagine the roles were reversed. We were out and N.Ireland had qualified. Lafferty likes a tweet mocking us in defeat, I just don't see the point.
    Agree not the smartest thing to do. The boy needs to get his head down and get back playing at his best.

Left by mutual consent!

Yip. My thoughts exactly too.

The guy is a welt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I'm sure quite a few of us laughed when Gazza was in tears after getting booked in Italy.

Nobody would deliberately cause offence like that ... clearly unintentional. As others have said, social media probably isn't the best place for Leigh Griffiths at the best of times.

On a better note .... All the fuss was around Marshall for his penalty save, but LG showed a bit of guts stepping up to take the first one for Scotland last night considering he hadn't kicked the ball once after coming on as a sub, that I can recall anyway.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    No chance it had anything to do with his sister, the uproar is farcical tbh, although it's mainly huns who will be raging Scotland never got beat last night.

The boy needs to stay off Twitter though, manages to get himself into some stinking situations.

Agree the internet trolls quite happy to express Faux outrage or grievance at any opportunity
    Last edited by whiskyhibby; 14-11-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I'm sure quite a few of us laughed when Gazza was in tears after getting booked in Italy.
    Still find it funny. He rammed it right up us in 96 though. Genius with a football.

@hibs.net private member
    As a NI fan (supporting them decades before I supported Hibs), would it be acceptable to call Griffiths a welt?

KL will always have a special place in the hearts (no pun intended) of NI fans as he was his goals that greatly helped us qualify for Euro 2016.

He may be a bit of a plonker (Griffiths too) but to describe him as a welt doesn't do it for me

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    As a NI fan (supporting them decades before I supported Hibs), would it be acceptable to call Griffiths a welt?

KL will always have a special place in the hearts (no pun intended) of NI fans as he was his goals that greatly helped us qualify for Euro 2016.

He may be a bit of a plonker (Griffiths too) but to describe him as a welt doesn't do it for me
    I think it would be perfectly acceptable on an NI supporters forum