hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 US Open

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just reading that!

Wow!
    It took so long for him to seemingly accept the referee's decision. More bad press for Djokovic...shame!

2. Log in to remove the advert

When was the last time anyone other than Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Murray or Wawrinka won a slam?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    When was the last time anyone other than Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Murray or Wawrinka won a slam?
    Marin Cilic 2014 us open

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Marin Cilic 2014 us open
    Cheers 👍

On watching it back it doesn't look as bad as it was being described. I think he's been a bit unfortunate to be honest.

Marin Cilic 2014 us open
    Even forgetting about Wawrinka, it's 2016 since anyone other than Djokovic, Nadal or Federer won one!

Djokovic has got away with that before. He chucked his racket in frustration at the French Open a few years back and missed a line judge by inches. He wasn't so lucky this time.

He knows the rules, accidental or not it's a disqualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Djokovic out!! Kicked out of the tournament for hammering the ball at the line judge's throat!! Wasn't intentional but totally reckless.
    Remember Henman doing that at wimbers. Hit a ball girl unintentionally in a doubles match and was booted out of the whole tournament.

On watching it back it doesn't look as bad as it was being described. I think he's been a bit unfortunate to be honest.
    I think the lino taking a dive has done for him but even so, he deserves to go for hit. These players know the rules.

Best one I recall was Shapovalov hitting the umpire. That was a straight red.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I think the lino taking a dive has done for him but even so, he deserves to go for hit. These players know the rules.
    Yeah under the letter of the law he probably had to get defaulted but I just feel it was a lot different from the Shapovalov or Nalbandian incidents which immediately spring to mind.

He didn't seem to whack the ball with much anger and just did what many players do at the end of a game and just took a ball out of his pocket and hit it to the back of the court in preparation for the next game.

I think he's been unlucky due to him not really being out of control like Shapovalov was for example.

Nalbandian kicking the line judge at Queens was another cracker.

Best one I recall was Shapovalov hitting the umpire. That was a straight red.
    That was the best one I've ever seen. If you're going to get defaulted from a tournament, that's the benchmark.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Whether he meant it or not the players really should know better.

That line judge was audibly struggling so hope she's OK.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a further ban.

I see Kyrgios is stirring it already

Djokovic getting it tight for not holding a press conference afterwards and instead just leaving the whole site and presumably heading back to his hotel.

Left by mutual consent!
    Djokovic getting it tight for not holding a press conference afterwards and instead just leaving the whole site and presumably heading back to his hotel.
    Underneath all that 'spiritual' guff he's a nasty, arrogant tosser. Always has been.

Djokovic issues an apology on Instagram.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/54052345

Terrible way for a champion to react imo. Not had a great year to be honest with his summer tournaments when he and others caught Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Djokovic has got away with that before. He chucked his racket in frustration at the French Open a few years back and missed a line judge by inches. He wasn't so lucky this time.

He knows the rules, accidental or not it's a disqualification.
    If he has missed someone by inches you would think he should have been kicked out especially throwing a racket.

If he has missed someone by inches you would think he should have been kicked out especially throwing a racket.
    He didn't throw it as such, he kind of swung his racket towards the ground as if he was going to slam it against the ground after a bad shot but seemed almost in two minds between throwing it and slamming it and ended up swinging it downwards and then backwards and then it slipped out his hand and flew towards the back of the court and landed next to a line judge.

He was definitely fortunate that it didn't hit the line judge as that definitely would have merited a disqualification, even more so than last night's incident.

Bit of a Rivaldo-like reaction from the lino - no?

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Bit of a Rivaldo-like reaction from the lino - no?
    Ever been hit in the throat by a tennis ball travelling at probably around 70mph?

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    Ever been hit in the throat by a tennis ball travelling at probably around 70mph?
    I think you are wildly over estimating the speed. He's more or less patted the ball. It's certainly nowhere near 70mph.

Not that I can recall.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I think you are wildly over estimating the speed. He's more or less patted the ball. It's certainly nowhere near 70mph.
    Exactly. It would give you a fright if you didn't see it coming, but even taking that ball full on the windpipe wouldn't have hurt that much.

No way it was 70mph, he basically patted to the back of the court.

You would be lucky if it was half that speed. Still enough to get a fright when you're not expecting it though.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Fair enough, it seems you can all judge the speed of a tennis ball better than I can

But speaking as someone who has taken a squash ball in the eye at probably about 5mph, I can tell you that it ****ing hurt. OK, so we're not comparing apples with apples, but I think it's pretty harsh to vilify the line judge for reacting in the way she did. Some of the comments on here are a tad out of order IMO.

Fair enough, it seems you can all judge the speed of a tennis ball better than I can

But speaking as someone who has taken a squash ball in the eye at probably about 5mph, I can tell you that it ****ing hurt. OK, so we're not comparing apples with apples, but I think it's pretty harsh to vilify the line judge for reacting in the way she did. Some of the comments on here are a tad out of order IMO.
    Vilify?

I trust you're not including me there. I merely wondered out loud that her reaction might have been a bit ... em ... contrived. Just a thought.

Nothing scientific but the speed of a serve is about double that so I just think 70 mph would have been much faster.

I agree.. I’m not sure where or why there seems to be a hate fest against him.. I’ve always found him gracious and dignified in his interviews.. maybe I’ve missed something..