hibs.net Messageboard

Private physiotherapy in Edinburgh?

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question but how much money is a session and generally speaking how many sessions do you need? And does anyone have any recommendations?

Went to the docs back in Feb about a pain in the right side of the hip when I walk. If I walk 1-2 miles it starts getting very sore. Doc had me on naproxen but never done anything. Thought it could be as I spent alot of the day driving but thats since changed and the pain isn't getting any better.

Gave me a number for the NHS MATS but closed for covid. And if they've been closed for 6 months i can't see me getting an appointment any time soon...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hi mate , I feel your pain as I am in exactly the same position as yourself. I have been suffering from sciatica for the last five weeks and I am on my third type of painkillers. I was advised by my own doctor to see a private physio as the waiting time for the NHS is months . The one I went to is Taylor Physiotherapy in Comely Bank Avenue. The guy I am seeing is called Stewart Scott and he is excellent. The initial consultation cost £60 and following appointments are £50. If you are thinking about going private I would definitely consider them . Hope this helps .

@hibs.net private member
    I went on the nhs waiting list (west lothian) in jan and got a phone appointment in July. I went private in march because I couldnt take the pain any more and had a couple of zoom calls over lockdown Went back at the end of july. Well worth the money. I paid £60 for assessment and first treatment then its £30 a session and that included acupunture.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Steve at Feel Fit in Brunswick Street is highly recommended.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    As well as physio, seeking advice from an Osteopath might well be worthwhile.
    I had fairly severe lower back pain where I had spells when I literally could not walk. A surgeon thought a back operation carried to many risks (for my then age, mid thirties).
    I was referred to an Osteopath, Tom Kelman from www.osteopathedinburgh.co.uk
    After a consultation and a few sessions, my back pain is practically gone. I had a fair bit manipulation, a little acupuncture and taught how to manage my back in future.
    Cost wise, it was much the same as physio sessions, maybe a little dearer.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Amanda is my go-to for back stuff.

https://www.abosteopathy.co.uk/

Brutal, but she gets the job done.

I struggle with lower back pain, which extends in to the hips. On fairly strong painkillers for it which barely touch the sides at times

Tried NHS and private physio and never got a great deal of relief. I've recently started visiting a chiropractor which i'm more positive about

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question but how much money is a session and generally speaking how many sessions do you need? And does anyone have any recommendations?

Went to the docs back in Feb about a pain in the right side of the hip when I walk. If I walk 1-2 miles it starts getting very sore. Doc had me on naproxen but never done anything. Thought it could be as I spent alot of the day driving but thats since changed and the pain isn't getting any better.

Gave me a number for the NHS MATS but closed for covid. And if they've been closed for 6 months i can't see me getting an appointment any time soon...
    Paul at Midlothian Physiotherapy, just past the old Justinlees at eskbank toll, is very good, and is also a Hibby. He used to post on here, so if he reads this post, you may hear from him. If not look him up on google, you won't be disappointed.

GGTTH

GGTTH

Thanks for the replies guys i'll check these out during the week

@hibs.net private member
    I couldn't recommend Kenny Mcivor highly enough. You get a full hour for £30. He's a Hibs season ticket holder & bleeds Green. He's based in Bonnyrigg.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    As well as physio, seeking advice from an Osteopath might well be worthwhile.
    I had fairly severe lower back pain where I had spells when I literally could not walk. A surgeon thought a back operation carried to many risks (for my then age, mid thirties).
    I was referred to an Osteopath, Tom Kelman from www.osteopathedinburgh.co.uk
    After a consultation and a few sessions, my back pain is practically gone. I had a fair bit manipulation, a little acupuncture and taught how to manage my back in future.
    Cost wise, it was much the same as physio sessions, maybe a little dearer.
    I had my right hip replaced 8 years ago. Given the manipulation they do for back pain am i safe using osteopathy?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    I had my right hip replaced 8 years ago. Given the manipulation they do for back pain am i safe using osteopathy?
    I'm not medically trained so unsure, the lowest treatment I got for my back pain was a lumber massage and some acupuncture in the glutes to alleviate some root never pain.
    I'd suggest a consultation might clear up any reservations/issues.

Pip yeates in Dunfermline is very good and not expensive.

I'm sorry to hear about the pain you're experiencing in your hip. It's true that the wait times for NHS physiotherapy can be long, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.

I've had a similar issue with hip pain, especially after long walks or sitting for too long. Changing my daily activities didn’t really help.