hibs.net Messageboard

Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2340

Thread: Neil Lennon

I genuinely think I could have managed Celtic to the titles that he won in his first spell there. They had zero competition and a squad that absolutely dwarfed everyone else. He doesn't get much credit for that.

As soon as Rangers put pressure on he failed.

Was an absolute failure at Bolton.

Overall was ok for Hibs. Not great in the cups. Finished 4th which was good but not great. Left whilst the team was in freefall and heading for a bottom 6th finish.

When you actually analyse his record it's average at best.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 24-02-2021 at 06:50 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...3092394?r=5892

Stevenson actually says that he played his best football under Lennon and that he got the best out of him during his time as manager. The comment was made fairly recently. The headline is quite misleading, but there again it is the Evening News.

If ai had made the comments above, I’d be feeling a hit embarrassed ( not you Stanton Spence).

“My best football time was probably under Neil Lennon. He got the best out of me. He was a hard taskmaster at times and we had some big fall-outs but I think he appreciated what I was doing for him and vice-versa. He got the best out of me and the best out of the team”
    Fair enough bud I'm genuinely intrigued if what he said still stands now he's working with Jack Ross but I'd hazard a guess it would be given the minutes Lewis has had this season

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Kennedy was regret to the heavens turning down our job.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I genuinely think I could have managed Celtic to the titles that he won in his first spell there. They had zero competition and a squad that absolutely dwarfed everyone else. He doesn't get much credit for that.

Overall was ok for Hibs. Not great in the cups. Finished 4th which was good but not great. Left whilst the team was in freefall and heading for a bottom 6th finish.

Absolutely agree. 14 draws and 3 defeats in a piss poor Championship was shocking too. One point more than Stubbs managed and in a far poorer league. We actually won less games in the Championship under Lennon than we did under Stubbs which is incredible given the number of extra games we played getting to two finals under Stubbs. I don't think he's a good manager. Just one who's landed two unbelievable jobs at the right time.
    Last edited by Since452; 24-02-2021 at 07:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Not to mention year on year failure in Europe.

First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    Rangers fans banging on about a 55th title when we all know it will be their first. 55 being significant though. Neil Lennon quits on the 55th day of the year. Numbers eh. Funny old thing

Ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaleHibs View Post
    Rangers fans banging on about a 55th title when we all know it will be their first. 55 being significant though. Neil Lennon quits on the 55th day of the year. Numbers eh. Funny old thing

Ggtth
    Also the scoreline in the game when Neil Lennon was at his absolute best for us, doing the airplane against those filthy no title having pigs.

Hates the Huns.

Great entertainment, great guy.

Well I genuinely don't think you could have. Plenty of experience in getting rich footballers to play for you?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Depends how you analyse it I suppose? Since we've had a 12 team, 38 game league -

18/19 - 5th - 54 points (3rd place got 67)

17/18 - 4th - 67 points (3rd place got 70)
    16/17 - Won Championship (3rd place in Prem got 67)

15/16 - 3rd in Championship (3rd place in Prem got 65)
    14/15 - 2nd in Championship (3rd place in Prem got 65)
    13/14 - 11th - 35 points (3rd place got 68)
    12/13 - 7th - 51 points (3rd place got 56, 2nd place got 63)
    11/12 - 11th - 33 points (3rd place got 62)
    10/11 - 10th - 37 points (3rd place got 63)
    09/10 - 4th - 54 points (3rd place got 63)
    08/09 - 6th - 47 points (3rd place got 59)
    07/08 - 6th - 52 points (3rd place got 60)
    06/07 - 6th - 49 points (3rd place got 65)
    05/06 - 4th - 56 points (3rd place got 73)
    04/05 - 3rd - 61 points
    03/04 - 8th - 44 points (3rd place got 68)
    02/03 - 7th - 51 points (3rd place got 63)
    01/02 - 3rd - 66 points

In those 18 seasons, we've never got more points than in Lennons full season in the top flight.

We finished 4th, but in 14 of the above 18 seasons, the 67 points we won under Lennon would have been enough for 3rd, in fact in 1 season it would have been enough for 2nd.

So, when I analyse what he did here, which is all I really care about...it doesn't appear all that average. Not to me anyway.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Well I genuinely don't think you could have. Plenty of experience in getting rich footballers to play for you?

It’s ok we all know it’s rubbish.

Left by mutual consent!
    The worst thing about any discussion about Lennon is this immediate desire to explain him via his mental health problems.. He admitted to suffering from depression in the past so now every time he’s mentioned you get this odd presumption he’s “not well” or “has issues” or “clearly struggling”.

Is it glaringly obvious that he’s currently suffering from an episode of mental illness? I don’t think so.

Did he speak out about his mental health ages ago so that people would speculate and use it as some catch all explanation of his behaviour until the end of time? I don’t think so either.

Why not just judge him like any other football manager without making assumptions about his mental health? It’s crass and a gross oversimplification of how mental health affects people.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    The worst thing about any discussion about Lennon is this immediate desire to explain him via his mental health problems.. He admitted to suffering from depression in the past so now every time he’s mentioned you get this odd presumption he’s “not well” or “has issues” or “clearly struggling”.

Is it glaringly obvious that he’s currently suffering from an episode of mental illness? I don’t think so.

Did he speak out about his mental health ages ago so that people would speculate and use it as some catch all explanation of his behaviour until the end of time? I don’t think so either.

Why not just judge him like any other football manager without making assumptions about his mental health? It’s crass and a gross oversimplification of how mental health affects people.
    Good post.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Resigning from the job rather than being sacked is a bettter way out.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Resigning from the job rather than being sacked is a bettter way out.
    Probably not financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Probably not financially.
    He's not resigned without being offered a financial package, probably the same one if he'd been sacked. This will have been put to him as a face saving exercise for a club legend.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Depends how you analyse it I suppose? Since we've had a 12 team, 38 game league -

04/05 - 3rd - 61 points
    01/02 - 3rd - 66 points

In those 18 seasons, we've never got more points than in Lennons full season in the top flight.

We finished 4th, but in 14 of the above 18 seasons, the 67 points we won under Lennon would have been enough for 3rd, in fact in 1 season it would have been enough for 2nd.

So, when I analyse what he did here, which is all I really care about...it doesn't appear all that average. Not to me anyway.
    That really is scandalous for a club of our size.

In fact, season 01/02 has us down in 3rd. Was that not Sauzee and Blobby’s first season?
    Last edited by Heckys Wheel; 25-02-2021 at 06:08 AM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

Well said.

Some of the chat about him on this board is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Well said.

Disgusting? I've seen far worse thrown at our current manager than what's on this thread.

I agree with this. I was listening to some stupid hack the other day making a joke about him losing his mind, when asked what he was going to lose next. It was either a bit of a coincidence or hes been spending too much time on the internet and thinks going that far below the belt is now OK.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    Fair enough bud I'm genuinely intrigued if what he said still stands now he's working with Jack Ross but I'd hazard a guess it would be given the minutes Lewis has had this season

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    He said all this in a podcast interview he also said there was times there would be no discussion over tactics and it was a very much make of it what you can after he announced a line up in the dressing room before a game.

His methods may have gotten the best out of guys like Lewis there was plenty others it didn’t which is why he went with us 8th in the league and heading south and a clown like hecky came in and made an immediate impact to get us top 6.

Lennys own ego is his downfall, the tantrums after tynie instead of just admitting he shouldn’t have changed a winning team, the quit threats cause we don’t match his recently unemployed ambitions and now instead of holding his hands up and walking when Celtic had a chance of catching rangers in the league he goes now so he’s not around when rangers win the title at Celtic park

04/05 - 3rd - 61 points
    01/02 - 3rd - 66 points

Someone will be along soon to explain that of all those 18 seasons, the old firm were at their weakest or some other BS to discredit that record points haul!

Going by these stats, which are kinda the most important ones for the league, he's the best manager we've had since the 12 team top flight started. If JR can better 67 then brilliant!!

Someone will be along soon to explain that of all those 18 seasons, the old firm were at their weakest or some other BS to discredit that record points haul!

Going by these stats, which are kinda the most important ones for the league, he's the best manager we've had since the 12 team top flight started. If JR can better 67 then brilliant!!
    He's the best manager over 1 league season without anything else to consider? Maybe. He definitely isn't the best manager for many reasons. There are so many other things to consider. Cup performance, signings, long term job done, what he inherited etc.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Out of interest. Is it purely the points won that define the “best” manager? Is a record points total and 4th, a greater achievement than say Mowbray 04/05, who amassed 6 points less but finished a place higher? Or, what looks likely, Ross getting 3rd but probably less points than Lennon's 17/18 season.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

all about opinions I suppose.

mine is that he was better than “ok” for the vast majority of his time with Hibs.

16/17... got the job done. Achieved the one target we all had that season. Yeah, there were some disappointing draws. But I never felt for one second that season that we were in danger of not going up as champions. Decent cup defence too. Schooled hearts at ER in one of the most enjoyable derby nights in recent history

17/18... mostly very good. Excellent performances against the old firm, bossed hearts twice at ER and denied a deserved win at Tynie by the linesman. Some good football played. Points dropped in the first half of the season ie accies at home cost us 2nd and 3rd place. Terrible performance at tynecastle after the split. Overall though, a very enjoyable season.

18/19... July to October... good. Decent wee European adventure, good start to the league, second in the table by Halloween.
    November to January... fell apart. He left at the right time.

overall out of two and a half years with us I’m happy with about two years of it, and judging by the attendances at Easter road during his tenure, and the atmosphere at times, I’m definitely not the only one who enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Pagan Hibernia; 25-02-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Well said.

Is it as disgusting as Ross bringing Scott Allan off the bench in the semi final?

04/05 - 3rd - 61 points
    01/02 - 3rd - 66 points

You could also say that his Championship winning season points total would have seen him finishing 3rd in the previous Championship season.

Left by mutual consent!
    There are certainly others who should be sharing the blame for Celtic's demise.... I'm thinking about the person(s) who scouted the likes of Barkas and Kimala. Lennon didn't scout these people. They were scouted then the Celtic paymasters sanctioned the signings and then they flopped. Big time. I think a lot of things were out of Neil's hands and that's where his anger stems from. They 100% need a director of football now because Lawwell is the man running the show and that ain't right.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Most people with mental health issues don't behave like Lennon- slating and bullying players, feigning injury when hit by a coin and blaming everybody else but themselves - we tend to blame ourselves for everything and don't talk down others. Not much sympathy for him.

Every sympathy in the world for him , anyone who hates the ****mers is good enough for me !
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Out of interest. Is it purely the points won that define the “best” manager? Is a record points total and 4th, a greater achievement than say Mowbray 04/05, who amassed 6 points less but finished a place higher? Or, what looks likely, Ross getting 3rd but probably less points than Lennon's 17/18 season.
    Yeah I was a being a wee bit cheeky with the ‘best’ manager line!

I think what the stats do show is that he is nowhere near as bad as made out on here.

He was my favourite Hibs manager when he was here. Best in my lifetime? Probably not but it’s a hard one to call.

There hasn’t been a stand out manager in my 40+ years of supporting Hibs but he’s certainly up there and not down with the likes of Calderwood, Butcher, Duffy, Blackley or Auld!