hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Lennon

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players should've put the Scottish cup DVD on and told him to get ****ed. Lewis, Paul, Darren and others will live forever in our hearts, he will be soon forgotten.
    i actually think that was Lennons point tho and I agree. We'd won the cup, brilliant. But let's do it again and again. Let's not accept 2nd best. There is nothing wrong with an attitude like that.

we won it 4 years ago and have not been in a final since. Soft mentality at Hibs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    FWIW I genuinely think that Alan Stubbs would have gotten similar, if not better results, when he would have gotten us back up to the top flight. His focus on young players with potential and having Taff and John Doolan as a backup was a great combination and he was unlucky that he had to compete in arguably the strongest Championship in memory.

I don't think we improved under Lennon (other than five months when we lucked out that Celtic wanted Scott Bain and were able to get Scott Allan in) and in some ways - particularly recruitment - regressed.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    i actually think that was Lennons point tho and I agree. We'd won the cup, brilliant. But let's do it again and again. Let's not accept 2nd best. There is nothing wrong with an attitude like that.

we won it 4 years ago and have not been in a final since. Soft mentality at Hibs.
    Eh, yes, because he lost to Aberdeen x2, QoTS, Celtic and Hearts in cup ties. He is as much to blame for us not reaching another final as anyone.

In both semi he managed finals, Lennon had to make huge changes by half time because he got it wrong. 2 subs at half time vs Celtic, Holt on because he had Jason up top alone at 2-0 down vs Aberdeen.

He is a loser. Stubbs had Hibs tough and fighting and competing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I mean, essentially he is right. A dressing room isn’t a democracy. The old days of managers bullying and terrifying players should be long gone but ‘Player power’ as it is often termed rarely goes well.
    Yep, there's probably a balance to be struck. As it's cheaper to get rid of the manager than all the players, players hold a lot of power now and a manager probably recognises that. The only one who could get away with being dictatorial in recent years was SAF aa he was entrenched at Man U and a player would soon be out if they challenged him.

All in all, I have to say that I quite like Neil Lennon. He's pretty honest and can come across quite vulnerable. If he could embrace that a little more I think he could be a really top manager. Didnt approve of everything he did in last six months though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    FWIW I genuinely think that Alan Stubbs would have gotten similar, if not better results, when he would have gotten us back up to the top flight. His focus on young players with potential and having Taff and John Doolan as a backup was a great combination and he was unlucky that he had to compete in arguably the strongest Championship in memory.

I don't think we improved under Lennon (other than five months when we lucked out that Celtic wanted Scott Bain and were able to get Scott Allan in) and in some ways - particularly recruitment - regressed.
    Don’t think it’s fair (to either) to basically suggest that Stubbs was unlucky when things went wrong but Lennon was lucky when things went right.

Both had good points and both had bad points. Both, IMO, did good things for Hibs and both, IMO, could have done certain things better.

Left by mutual consent!
    Eh, yes, because he lost to Aberdeen x2, QoTS, Celtic and Hearts in cup ties. He is as much to blame for us not reaching another final as anyone.

In both semi he managed finals, Lennon had to make huge changes by half time because he got it wrong. 2 subs at half time vs Celtic, Holt on because he had Jason up top alone at 2-0 down vs Aberdeen.

All fair points but come on, that’s an incredible statement to call Lennon a loser.

It’s fine margins. I loved Stubbs time but if SDG does not score in 92nd minute. Could he have been sacked for not delivering?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    He was and is an excellent manager. He’s proven it.

The slant given to everything to continue to discredit him is the baffling thing. Did a good job here despite how it ended and the amount of stick he gets here is OTT.

If Stubbs or anyone else had us challenging for 2nd at the very end of a season folk would worship their every word and move.

Lennon just gets hate.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Yep, there's probably a balance to be struck. As it's cheaper to get rid of the manager than all the players, players hold a lot of power now and a manager probably recognises that. The only one who could get away with being dictatorial in recent years was SAF aa he was entrenched at Man U and a player would soon be out if they challenged him.

All in all, I have to say that I quite like Neil Lennon. He's pretty honest and can come across quite vulnerable. If he could embrace that a little more I think he could be a really top manager. Didnt approve of everything he did in last six months though.

I didn’t see much honesty or self appraisal from Lennon when he was making mistakes and things were going badly. He was right to call out players at times but when he was getting it wrong he stopped doing press conferences.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Don’t think it’s fair (to either) to basically suggest that Stubbs was unlucky when things went wrong but Lennon was lucky when things went right.

Both had good points and both had bad points. Both, IMO, did good things for Hibs and both, IMO, could have done certain things better.
    Well, if Celtic didn't need a last minute goalie and hadn't identified then we don't get Scott Allan and we don't improve. Stubbs' side had several dodgy decisions go against but had us playing good football.

I also would say that very little of my argument was based on Lennon being "lucky", but more on him only gaining one more point in an easier Championship without Rangers or Hearts. Stubbs left us one of the best midfields in the country and in our clubs recent history. Lennon left us in a nosedive.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

If Stubbs or anyone else had us challenging for 2nd at the very end of a season folk would worship their every word and move.

Lennon just gets hate.
    John Collins won us a cup, and in style, but left us when we were struggling and that’s the aspect a lot of people remember him for. Lennon finished 4th and left us struggling but a lot of people seem to remember him for finishing 4th.

It’s not unique to Lennon and it works both ways IMO.

Well, if Celtic didn't need a last minute goalie and hadn't identified then we don't get Scott Allan and we don't improve. Stubbs' side had several dodgy decisions go against but had us playing good football.

I also would say that very little of my argument was based on Lennon being "lucky", but more on him only gaining one more point in an easier Championship without Rangers or Hearts. Stubbs left us one of the best midfields in the country and in our clubs recent history. Lennon left us in a nosedive.
    Or you could look at it as being a brilliant bit of business as opposed to being lucky. We also got rid of our top scorer, at the time, as part of the deal.

As for the points totals, he got more than everybody else in the league. Stubbs finished below Falkirk. We then went on to achieve only three or four points less in the top league than we did in the championship.

I do agree Lennon didn’t leave us in particularly great nick with the midfield issue that still exists today.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I didn’t see much honesty or self appraisal from Lennon when he was making mistakes and things were going badly. He was right to call out players at times but when he was getting it wrong he stopped doing press conferences.
    You're right in that. When things started to go wrong he kind of went in on himself and started to play the blame game. It's a real shame it went that way.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

If you put it like that, ‘soft’ mentality at 99% of clubs.

Picking yourself up after a setback is hard. But hitting the heights and then staying at that level is harder - especially at Hibs, where it’s inevitable that a good team will be broken up as richer clubs covet our players.

@hibs.net private member

I definitely think we improved under Lennon although I know others dont. I liked Stubbs as a man and he certainly signed some good players and built a great dressing room but Ifound the narrow diamond and lack of width pretty frustrating. He failed to get the best of McGeouch and McGinn in that formation and they, along with Boyle, improved significantly under Lennon.

Stubbs was key to where we got to under Lennon as he laid really good foundations that Lennon was able to build on (before it went pear shaped). I often wonder what it would have been like had we had Lennon first then Stubbs - I don't think Lennon could have built us up like Stubbs and I dont think Stubbs could have taken us on like Lennon. Perhaps a combination of them would have been ideal - Lubbs!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Was it not thr best run in Europe since the 70s?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

All fair points but come on, that’s an incredible statement to call Lennon a loser.

It’s fine margins. I loved Stubbs time but if SDG does not score in 92nd minute. Could he have been sacked for not delivering?
    If my granny had wheels she'd be a bike.

Stubbs won it, Lennon made a dog's dinner of it. One of them won it with a championship team, the other can only win with 10x the budget of the opposition.

@hibs.net private member
    Total lack of perspective. How many managers have won cups with Hibs?

If Celtic has beat Rangers in the semi in 2016 we would have had no chance with no Stokes or Henderson. In the semi against Aberdeen, Lennon made the wrong call but that didnt cost us the 2 goals and we were well on top when Aberdeen got a jammy deflected goal.

There are very fine margins in these things.

Agree that Hibs were poor in the semi against Celtic and not bringing Marciano back in was a huge and foreseeable error.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar

Stubbs won it, Lennon made a dog's dinner of it. One of them won it with a championship team, the other can only win with 10x the budget of the opposition.
    If you're using that simplistic an argument then you could say Lennon won the Championship but Stubbs didn't (twice).
    Is getting to a semi-final(pumping Hearts along the way) really making a dogs dinner of it? Hate to think what you'd make of some of our previous efforts in the Cup.

Left by mutual consent!

You’ve just contradicted yourself. 1st you say Lennon is a loser and then you say he can only win it with 10x the budget?

So is Lennon a winner of cups or a loser?

And don’t forget Stubbs made a dogs dinner of league cup final.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Players should've put the Scottish cup DVD on and told him to get ****ed. Lewis, Paul, Darren and others will live forever in our hearts, he will be soon forgotten.
    if threads like these prove anything it’s that Lennon isn’t getting forgotten any time soon.

You’ve just contradicted yourself. 1st you say Lennon is a loser and then you say he can only win it with 10x the budget?

So is Lennon a winner of cups or a loser?

And don’t forget Stubbs made a dogs dinner of league cup final.
    How on earth did Stubbs make a dog's dinner of the league cup final? Nonsense.

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    I’m pretty sure all of us knew what we were getting when Lennon took the Hibs job. He took a much firmer line than Stubbs who laid the foundations for Lennon to build on with McGinn, McGeouch, Boyle, Cummings and others at his disposal. He made us harder to beat and instilled a toughness about us that was missing previously.

Some of the football in the championship wasn’t pretty but he did what he was brought in to do - get us out of that league and that was all that mattered. Lennon also got us to the semi-final of the cup that season but in doing so laid bare his own failings. His team selections at times were baffling - this game, the game at Tynie, the league cup semi v Celtic were all games we lost due to his random, weird tactics/team selections where if we’d stuck to what we were good at we would have given a better account of ourselves.

Our first season back in the top division was great for the most part but sadly Lennon crashed and burned - maybe it’s his personality which means he can’t stay in one place too long but when he fell out of favour, he did it big time, burning all his bridges and more. I’m glad he came in when he did but by the end it was obviously time for him to move on. Overall - Lennon was a success for me but he would have been even better without the brainfarts in big games.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    I’m pretty sure all of us knew what we were getting when Lennon took the Hibs job. He took a much firmer line than Stubbs who laid the foundations for Lennon to build on with McGinn, McGeouch, Boyle, Cummings and others at his disposal. He made us harder to beat and instilled a toughness about us that was missing previously.

Some of the football in the championship wasn’t pretty but he did what he was brought in to do - get us out of that league and that was all that mattered. Lennon also got us to the semi-final of the cup that season but in doing so laid bare his own failings. His team selections at times were baffling - this game, the game at Tynie, the league cup semi v Celtic were all games we lost due to his random, weird tactics/team selections where if we’d stuck to what we were good at we would have given a better account of ourselves.

Our first season back in the top division was great for the most part but sadly Lennon crashed and burned - maybe it’s his personality which means he can’t stay in one place too long but when he fell out of favour, he did it big time, burning all his bridges and more. I’m glad he came in when he did but by the end it was obviously time for him to move on. Overall - Lennon was a success for me but he would have been even better without the brainfarts in big games.
    This is probably a fair analysis. The problem with Lennon is his character and personality mean that its hard to find a middle ground and these kind of debates around him will keep going.

I think your right that he was ultimately more of a success for us than a failure, I just don't hold any affection for him. Once it all started going wrong he was worse than hopeless. The fact that he sounds like a bully in the dressing room, and is publicly unwilling to admit any errors on his part, means I've lost any respect I had for him.

Left by mutual consent!
    By the way if Gray didn’t score in the 92nd min (sorry but it wasn’t 93) it was extra time.

Same people saying if we didn’t win the cup yet rip him for no reason because we lost to Falkirk.

Alan Stubbs was our best manager since McLeish and as a manager my biggest ever hero. Lennon is an angry wee ****er. Because he’s Celtic or catholic? No, see Stubbsy. Even before him see Mowbray. My two best and favourite managers after a ginger hun judas. Still our best manager in modern history (McLeish)

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post

Great Analysis, perfect summary of NL's time with Hibs.

I’ve been reading through this forum for a few years now as a guest and I’ve always got the impression that Lennon gets criticised more than the likes of Terry Butcher and I’m not sure why.

Btw, Hello 👋😅

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    I’ve been reading through this forum for a few years now as a guest and I’ve always got the impression that Lennon gets criticised more than the likes of Terry Butcher and I’m not sure why.

Btw, Hello 👋😅
    Hello. Fair comment. I am equally perplexed

Left by mutual consent!

Btw, Hello 👋😅
    Hi Magpie.

Lennon was like Butcher to our team. If he for instance took over from Butcher, with a club on its knees with a few youngsters and a couple of players and Liam Craig, Lewis and Scotty Robb do you believe deep down he would have attracted the players and had the team playing Stubbs had?

Stubbs took his hand and put my chin up, even when I didnae want to go back I did then I had belief again. It was much more then the cup final cumulative wise ended at the final. I’m just really surprised there’s lots of our support than doesn’t feel that way.

Lennon comes in after Butcher it would be a shambles imo.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Lennon was like Butcher to our team.
    Wait, what??

@hibs.net private member

Btw, Hello 👋😅
    Because there is no doubt about Butchers managerial ability or temperament.

Lennon on the other hand has Hibs fans who still think he's a born winner who can do no wrong.