Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2340

Thread: Neil Lennon

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rather harsh on Stubbs who had Hearts and Rangers in the league
    Stubbs would have promoted us but for a series of scandalous refereeing decisions against Falkirk at ER in the first leg play off and all within 30 seconds.
    Still had the playoff final to go after Falkirk

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Also, the only top flight team we lost to over 90 minutes under Stubbs was in the league cup final. We'd have done very well under his leadership in the top flight. Particularly memorable was taking on the league leaders Aberdeen and winning 2-0.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Also, the only top flight team we lost to over 90 minutes under Stubbs was in the league cup final. We'd have done very well under his leadership in the top flight. Particularly memorable was taking on the league leaders Aberdeen and winning 2-0.

Yes we would have been fine.

He probably regrets his decision to leave every day.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OtleyHibs View Post
    Always remember Lennon chuckling in the post match interview saying “we needed the 4th goal”
    Was a ridiculous start that day, probably the best 20/25 mins I’ve seen at Easter road 😁
    We had some amazing games with Lennon in charge.

The buzz around ER was way better than than we had seen for years and we went into big games against Hearts and the Old Firm with genuine belief we would win.

Good times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Yes we would have been fine.

He probably regrets his decision to leave every day.
    Don't think he had much choice in leaving at that time, needed to be nearer his wife and family.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    The first 20 of the 5-5 was superb. Possibly the loudest ive ever heard easter road after the 3rd goal. If Whittaker had scored a header and put us 4 up then i reckon we wouldve got the 6 goals.
    That was great - McGinn was pumped and waving everyone back to halfway after we’d just gone 3-0 up!

Even if we’d got 6 I think we still wouldn’t have got 2nd due to Aberdeen winking at parkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    We had some amazing games with Lennon in charge.

The buzz around ER was way better than than we had seen for years and we went into big games against Hearts and the Old Firm with genuine belief we would win.

Good times indeed.
    Lennon's tenure for the most part was the most enjoyable time to watch Hibs since the Mowbray days for me. Going to parkhead and ibrox and into derbies not hoping, but expecting to get a result. European football. Great times. The wheels came off in the end but it was some ride

I'm trying to imagine Jack Ross doing the aeroplane!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Lennon's tenure for the most part was the most enjoyable time to watch Hibs since the Mowbray days for me. Going to parkhead and ibrox and into derbies not hoping, but expecting to get a result. European football. Great times. The wheels came off in the end but it was some ride
    We did not win the Championship convincingly and most of the football was hard to watch.

First half of season back in SPFLwas mediocre, second half was the highlight of his time here. Bringing in Allan, McLaren and Kambeti turned the team around.

2nd season back we were woeful and in free fall. Team selection and tactics puzzling.

Then we had his antics on and off the pitch.

Yes there were some highlights and we got a lot of media attention but his tenure was far from a consistent success. One good half season.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    We did not win the Championship convincingly and most of the football was hard to watch.

First half of season back in SPFLwas mediocre, second half was the highlight of his time here. Bringing in Allan, McLaren and Kambeti turned the team around.

2nd season back we were woeful and in free fall. Team selection and tactics puzzling.

Yes there were some highlights and we got a lot of media attention but his tenure was far from a consistent success. One good half season.
    That one good half blinkers how largely mediocre the rest of his tenure was. The Championship season was eye bleeding disguised by the euphoria of just having won the cup and a good cup defence. Failed to win 18 games which was more than in the previous two seasons with Rangers and Hearts in the league.

He's generally remembered for finishing 4th and doing an aeroplane celebration at the end of a game we chucked. The woeful championship season and relegation form is largely forgotten about.
    Last edited by Since452; 22-01-2021 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    We were never getting relegated though.
    I thought the same when Butcher took over from Fenlon when we were only 5 points off 2nd.
    Last edited by Since452; 22-01-2021 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post

I agree with most of this post, however lets be fair to Lennon, that whole first season back in the Premiership was excellent. The first half rightly gets overshadowed by the second half, but up until the January break the team was averaging 1.59 points per game, which would have put us almost exactly on the same points as Mowbray's first season (60.42 vs 61) and only bettered by the 00/01 season since we moved to 38 games a season.

We only lost 5 out of the first 22 games that season, scoring at a rate only bettered by Mowbray and Mcleish's teams and conceding at a rate only bettered by the 00/01 season. I'd hardly call that "mediocre" as some people on this thread are.

Interestingly the first half of the season he left was exactly what I would describe as mediocre, we had 7 wins, 9 draws and 7 losses when he left meaning our points per game at that stage was worse than 8 out of the previous 15 seasons in the premiership (since 38 games started) and better than 7.

I agree though, the form was not good when he left and he appeared to have no idea how to turn it around with the players we had.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    That one good half blinkers how largely mediocre the rest of his tenure was. The Championship season was eye bleeding disguised by the euphoria of just having won the cup and a good cup defence. Failed to win 18 games which was more than in the previous two seasons with Rangers and Hearts in the league.

He's generally remembered for finishing 4th and doing an aeroplane celebration at the end of a game we chucked. The woeful championship season and relegation form is largely forgotten about.
    Come on man. The Championship season was far from impressive, but woeful? We won the league by 11 points.

Why does it matter that the Championship season wasn't hugely impressive? It was a means to an end, we had spent two years down there already, and just needed to get out. How impressively we won the Championship was never going to have any bearing on how we performed once back in the SPL. We won the league by a mile in 1999, but were far better equipped for the top league in 2017, than we were in '99.

For me, moaning about the Championship winning season being boring is akin to complaining that we weren't very impressive when we beat Dundee Utd in the 2016 Scottish Cup semi final - it doesn't matter, it got us to where we wanted to be. And once we were there, we delivered, big time.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Rumour that Rafa is heading to celtic

That would be a serious appointment

Edit - Guillame Ballague saying he won't be either Newcastle or Celtics manager

Last edited by Callum_62; 24-01-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

But ten in a row is gone Doubt they will get that opportunity again
    Some Celtic Fans will not forgive the Board or Lennon fir not Delivering on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

1/6 with Skybet.

His comments on Frimpong in the press today are naive and childish. Talking about how he’s ‘feeling let down’, how Celtic played such a big part in his development (boy was in the best youth set up in Europe from age of 9 to 19, then plays for less than 12 months in Scotland under a manager who even his supporters admit is more of a man manager and motivator (shorthand for shouting and swearing) than a tactician. I see his friend Chris Sutton has weighed in too about how he’s not worth £11.5 million, how he’s lazy, etc.

They paid £300k for him and will receive over £11million. Even with City’s cut that’s a healthy profit. Much better to make the normal noises about being grateful to the player etc than to flat tyre him on the way out the door.

Balague would know I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Balague would know I reckon.
    I read yesterday that Rafa’s preference is to return to the Premier League. Steve Bruce seems to be on thin ice so I expect that job will become available first.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    I read yesterday that Rafa’s preference is to return to the Premier League. Steve Bruce seems to be on thin ice so I expect that job will become available first.
    Probably more chance Steve Bruce going to Celtic than Rafa

Missed penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    That was great - McGinn was pumped and waving everyone back to halfway after we’d just gone 3-0 up!

Even if we’d got 6 I think we still wouldn’t have got 2nd due to Aberdeen winking at parkhead.
    If I recall correctly, was the third last game of the season not up at Aberdeen when Jamie Mac missed the penalty and it finished 0-0. I recall thinking at the time if we won that then we were in pole position for 2nd place with only 2 games remaining. My memory might be playing tricks

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i see Lawwell is retiring this summer

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell to step down in summer after 17 years | Celtic | The Guardian

Celtic’s chief executive, Peter Lawwell, is to retire in the summer after 17 years with the Scottish Premiership champions.
    The 61-year-old will step down at the end of June after overseeing a period of success that has seen the club win 29 trophies, including 13 league titles.

Scottish Rugby’s chief operating officer, Dominic McKay, will take over from Lawwell in July.

Just listened to his post match interview and again pretty much blaming the players. "Not getting enough from them". "Even look at the contribution from Griffiths". (Meant as not nearly good enough)"

Good questions. Lennon sounds tired and completely lost. But criticizing LG? Let's stir it.

Release the

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    2nd place is there for the taking if he stays as manager...they are heading for freefall once he starts slagging players...he’ll refuse to turn up for news conferences soon.

I actually think the Celtc players have given up, but you've got to ask why. They look a completely different side to the one that beat us 3-0 earlier this season.

Lennon certainly doesn't seem to be helping much.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    He’s now slagging players off in his post match interviews. A tragic repeat of business by the born winner who is going to surely go down as one of the worst Celtic managers ever for their performance this season on its own.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    Rather harsh on Stubbs who had Hearts and Rangers in the league
    Stubbs would have promoted us but for a series of scandalous refereeing decisions against Falkirk at ER in the first leg play off and all within 30 seconds.
    I think it’s unlikely we would have won the cup if we had made the play off final.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    He’s now slagging players off in his post match interviews. A tragic repeat of business by the born winner who is going to surely go down as one of the worst Celtic managers ever for their performance this season on its own.
    More amazing considering Leigh’s minutes per goal ratio for the league is the best in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    2nd place is there for the taking if he stays as manager...they are heading for freefall once he starts slagging players...he’ll refuse to turn up for news conferences soon.
    It should have been. But six points behind having played two games more, it isn’t unfortunately. Missed opportunity IMO.

This looks all very familiar, replace Kamberi with Griffiths, complaints about fitness levels, team downing tools etc, it's what he does best, takes a decent team, brings in his own players and then toils and blames everyone except himself.