hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heard a clip from an interview with Lewis Stevenson on the ‘Did Ye Aye?’ Podcast about NL.

Apparently came in over an hour late, told the players “let’s get one thing ****ing straight here, this isn’t a democracy, this is a dictatorship and I’m in charge” And then put on a video of the playoff defeat to Falkirk - which he wasn’t even manager for - and absolutely slaughtered the players and lost the rag.

It’s no surprise he falls out with so many of his players and we ended up with such a toxic atmosphere if that’s his approach to management.
    Darren McGregor tells the story on the Extra Time For Heroes DVD. Didn’t mention anything about him being late, losing the rag etc. Just that he was basically saying he didn’t want to see anything like the Falkirk playoff again. I think Lennon even spoke about it on the same DVD.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Heard a clip from an interview with Lewis Stevenson on the ‘Did Ye Aye?’ Podcast about NL.

Apparently came in over an hour late, told the players “let’s get one thing ****ing straight here, this isn’t a democracy, this is a dictatorship and I’m in charge” And then put on a video of the playoff defeat to Falkirk - which he wasn’t even manager for - and absolutely slaughtered the players and lost the rag.

It’s no surprise he falls out with so many of his players and we ended up with such a toxic atmosphere if that’s his approach to management.
    Absolutely guaranteed he wouldn't have the balls to do that at Celtic and guys like Édouard, Brown and Elyanoussi. Goes back to him giving the impression he was doing us all a favour by managing Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Absolutely guaranteed he wouldn't have the balls to do that at Celtic and guys like Édouard, Brown and Elyanoussi. Goes back to him giving the impression he was doing us all a favour by managing Hibs.
    Definitely. He told Broony, Tierney and Griffiths to tell the dressing room he (Lennon) was in charge at Celtic when he went back. I would assume the biggest part of that exercise was to get Brown and Tierney on side. Brown and Lennon done the team talk at the PBS.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Link?
    A video was posted on the ‘Hibs Supporters Group’ Facebook page. Unfortunately the page must be private as you can’t get a link to share it.

From the comments it appears to be a teaser clip before the full podcast/interview is released.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

i couldn’t really care less what his managerial style is like if he gets the right results and for two seasons Lennon did.

Coaching Staff
    Some amount of nonsense gets spoken about Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    i couldn’t really care less what his managerial style is like if he gets the right results and for two seasons Lennon did.
    And then ended up with us in free fall. There’s pro’s and cons to having someone with an attitude like his in charge. The run we went on was certainly one of the pro’s but there was also quite a few cons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Do you think what LS is saying isn’t true?

Left by mutual consent!
    Not a lot of things I disagree with you on the whole but your defence of Lennon is baffling.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Heard a rumour Paul Heckinbottom went into a rage after another defeat, telling everyone if we did not get a point at least in the next game, he was going to give each and every one one of them a Chinese burn.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Not a lot of things I disagree with you on the whole but your defence of Lennon is baffling.
    He was and is an excellent manager. He’s proven it.

The slant given to everything to continue to discredit him is the baffling thing. Did a good job here despite how it ended and the amount of stick he gets here is OTT.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Heard a rumour Paul Heckinbottom went into a rage after another defeat, telling everyone if we did not get a point at least in the next game, he was going to give each and every one one of them a Chinese burn.
    Wrong thread. Think that one belongs on the Paul Heckingbottom thread.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Wrong thread. Think that one belongs on the Paul Heckingbottom thread.
    No worries, will just put my post out on loan.

I heard Stevenson threw his training bib at Parker and gave Lennon a black eye.

Do you think what LS is saying isn’t true?
    Don’t know exactly what he said but he did play his best football in years, possibly in his whole career, under Lennon.

The slant given to everything to continue to discredit him is the baffling thing. Did a good job here despite how it ended and the amount of stick he gets here is OTT.
    Has he proven hes an excellent manager? Not sure to be honest.

Celtic - Won league titles at the club with the biggest budget but his cup record for them is not all that impressive. Europe for them has been abit of a mixed bag.

Hibs - Got us promotion once Rangers and Hearts had left the league which was pretty much a minimum. Finished 4th the following season which was good but the following season left as the club were sitting in 8th. Done nothing outstanding in the cups.

Bolton - Failed, appreciate it's a bit of a basket case of a club but ultimately his one stint in English football as a manger ended up in failure.

Overall I think you can make a case that he is a decent manager and at times a good manager. Excellent? That's stretching things way too far.

He has the potential to be an excellent manager.

I can never decide if you'd lose too much of the good about Lennon if he was forced to curb the radgeness.

At Hibs - we had some great times together but it was going pear-shaped for a while before he left, and at Celtic right now they have all the hallmarks of the same thing happening again.

On balance I liked him as a Hibs manager, I'm grateful for the good times he brought and I'm glad he left before he ruined that legacy. I'm not convinced he's head and shoulders over other managers who did us a good turn and I don't necessarily feel honoured that he graced us with his presence. Grateful he came and did his best, not bowled over by having been in the presence of a great who lowered himself to our level for a while.

@hibs.net private member
    Let's just be grateful he didnt show do a JC and show HIS six pack or the result could have been very different.

In all fairness a lot of managers have adopted this type of tactic and it can prove effective. It can be taken too far though and Lennon seemed to continue with this type of management at the end of his tenure when it was clear there was no turning it around. It did seem to work for the first two years though and he did create a bit of invincibility about Hibs like no other manager has in my time following them.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I guarantee if he'd shown the club more respect by not threatening to walk at a time when he should have been trying to attract players to the club and generally acting like an idiot he wouldn't get as much stick on here

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I think Marciano, Mallan & Allan are the only players left from his signings. Not a great endorsement of what he left subsequent managers IMO.

Didn’t like him before, didn’t take to him during his tenure, and still don’t like him now. He’s a better manager than some say but not as good as others say. One above average season, one excellent season and one abomination of a season is how I’ll remember him.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I never wanted NL in the first instance but slowly he won me over and I think it was to do with getting the club and the fans. He really got us and initially seemed really relax with life here. I'll not demean him in any way but I am disappointed in how it all ended and that includes our club too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I think Marciano, Mallan & Allan are the only players left from his signings. Not a great endorsement of what he left subsequent managers IMO.

Didn’t like him before, didn’t take to him during his tenure, and still don’t like him now. He’s a better manager than some say but not as good as others say. One above average season, one excellent season and one abomination of a season is how I’ll remember him.
    Pretty much how I would sum up his tenure

@hibs.net private member

He's really not. If he was an excellent manager he'd have left Celtic the first time and moved onto bigger and better things. Instead he struggled at Bolton and left Hibs in freefall. Celtic did him a huge favour taking him back - he wouldn't have got a club near their size if they hadn't been interested.

Another poster put it better - he's been than his detractors say but worse than his supporters. He had a great half season at Hibs when he won a lot of fans over but couldn't sustain it.

Players should've put the Scottish cup DVD on and told him to get ****ed. Lewis, Paul, Darren and others will live forever in our hearts, he will be soon forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    He's really not. If he was an excellent manager he'd have left Celtic the first time and moved onto bigger and better things. Instead he struggled at Bolton and left Hibs in freefall. Celtic did him a huge favour taking him back - he wouldn't have got a club near their size if they hadn't been interested.

Another poster put it better - he's been than his detractors say but worse than his supporters. He had a great half season at Hibs when he won a lot of fans over but couldn't sustain it.
    Always think the ‘half a season’ thing is harsh in regard to our first season back up. In the first half of that season we won at Ibrox, beat Hearts and did well against Celtic twice when they were still ‘invincible’. We were in a good position to kick on after the winter break and we really did that.

Obviously his third season didn’t exactly go to plan, it’s fair to say.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Let's just be grateful he didnt show do a JC and show HIS six pack or the result could have been very different.

In all fairness a lot of managers have adopted this type of tactic and it can prove effective. It can be taken too far though and Lennon seemed to continue with this type of management at the end of his tenure when it was clear there was no turning it around. It did seem to work for the first two years though and he did create a bit of invincibility about Hibs like no other manager has in my time following them.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I mean, essentially he is right. A dressing room isn’t a democracy. The old days of managers bullying and terrifying players should be long gone but ‘Player power’ as it is often termed rarely goes well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Players should've put the Scottish cup DVD on and told him to get ****ed. Lewis, Paul, Darren and others will live forever in our hearts, he will be soon forgotten.
    This.

Correct

His football in the Championship was grim watching and we won with less points than when we had Hearts and Rangers there. We did well the next season and he struck it lucky with the 352 with Boyle as wingback and the 3 in midfield that were as good as anyone that season but he blew it against Aberdeen and particularly Hearts, where he started questioning his own ability. His final season is well documented and he lost it completely, he's lived off that one result against Barca when he did what every manager at that time did against them, they defended en masse, suddenly he was a tactical genius and he believed them. An average to decent manager who thinks he's better than he is.