hibs.net Messageboard

Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2340

Thread: Neil Lennon

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not always. Depression can manifest as anger and frustration. Not that I think it's necessarily the reason Lennon is acting the way he is, but the symptoms generally vary from person to person.
    Not a medical expert but think Lennon is bipolar. What used to be called manic depressive. He looks to be going through the manic phase where he is putting the world to rights through his distorted version of reality. Talking from personal experience😀

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    For me he hasn't helped matters but if you read a transcript of what he said he actually talked a lot of sense, however if you watch him saying it you get the impression that he's lost the plot.

And I'm no fan of Neil Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    For me he hasn't helped matters but if you read a transcript of what he said he actually talked a lot of sense, however if you watch him saying it you get the impression that he's lost the plot.

Out of curiosity which parts made sense? The scotland bit possibly, other than that I can’t think of anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think that’s the rules when arriving in Australia
    No there were special rules put in place for the tennis players where they are allowed outside to practice for 5 hours each day during their quarantine period. It's only the players who were on the affected flights who are subject to the same rules as everyone else and are unable to leave their hotel rooms at all for 2 weeks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...ralia-55693223

When I watched that interview my initial thought was a I hope somebody at his club is looking after him.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

If you read what he says, he actually makes some very good points, although I don't really agree with him on the bits in red. Also St Johnstone are calling him out on what he said about their changing facilities.

A tough two weeks to handle?

“Considering I was isolating for 10 days. You can see how people get frustrated and a little bit fed up because there is nothing you can do other than try to keep your mode of thinking in the right way.

“It’s been interesting watching all the fallout, the media coverage and the opinions of some people as well."

On the 'backlash' to the trip

“Yes, if you want to call it that. First of all, it shouldn’t have been Peter out apologising. It should have been me because it was my decision. We made it with the best intentions for the players and the club for the second half of the season. Unfortunately, we picked up one infection out of a group of 60. It did show that our protocols are all in place and working.

“But I do feel we have been harshly treated in terms of the amount of people that have had to isolate and the time they had to isolate as well.

“We’ve picked up one more positive case. So that makes two out of the whole party. So there was no outbreak. There was no misbehaviour.

“We were very professional in how we went about our business. The preparation was top-class.

“We prepared as if we were going away on a European trip.

“The innuendo and the insinuation from Andy Walker that it was a ‘jolly’ - I can’t have that. I can’t tolerate that at all.

“That calls into question my professionalism, the professionalism of my players, my staff, the people who were out there helping us. It’s an absolute scandal.

“The fact that 80 per cent of my squad were probably tee-total … it’s a total distortion of the facts.

“And for him to go on a public platform and accuse the club of being arrogant, demanding an apology from the club, which we’ve done. Even then, it wasn’t good enough for him.

“I want an apology from him. You cannot go there and falsify what went on with a total misrepresentation of reality.”

Who decides the isolation cases?

"The Scottish Government."

How are contacts decided?

"Well, on the plane it was the guys that were closest to them. So all of a sudden it was two rows back, two rows forward, two rows to the side. We were under the impression that with business class seat the distance from two seats back was pretty safe. And some lads had to isolate because they were on buses with Christopher.

"This is where I’m confused. Because all clubs in Scotland have been travelling up and down the country in two buses. With these guidelines now that we are having to adhere to it means that only three players can travel on a 52-seater bus.

"So when we played Hibs last Monday we had to bus six players on two 52-seater buses. So that would mean every club in the country with a say of, you know, 30 people, would have to take 10 buses.

"So for me the goalposts are completely moved. And in terms of physical distancing we have been in dressing rooms throughout the country - Hamilton on Boxing Day, St Johnstone - where there is no physical distancing. There is no room, we are cramped up, 15-20 people in the one room.

"And now, all of sudden, we adhere to all protocols, taken photographs, adhered to every rule in place and we have 13 players, and three staff isolating for 10 days that, apart from one, are all negative. It is absolutely preposterous."

Disappointed with Nicola Sturgeon's comments on the trip?

"I’m not going to get into a fight with the First Minister but I’ll take umbrage on her use of the term ‘r n r’, which she selectively picked out of interviews - completely ignoring the hard work we were intending to do, and the intensive training.

"And also that we abused our so-called privileges when we were out there. That couldn’t be further from the truth."

What about the photos?

“We are all sitting outside in a bubble. We may not be exactly two metres apart, but we are in our bubble.

"There was no Chris Jullien in any of the photographs. All the people in the photographs are negative.

"By the way, it is illegal to take a picture of somebody without their consent in Dubai. And it’s not as if we were doing a conga at three o’clock in the morning in a dining room or dancing to Baccara in a dressing room or traipsing up and down the country with Covid in a train from Glasgow to London.

"My players’ behaviour was exemplary. They are top professionals. The way this has been portrayed has been a total distortion of the facts.”

But there were bar pictures too?

“We are in an area. Some players are in a bar, not all of them drinking. They are maybe not totally distancing, but they are sitting there quietly watching the football for half an hour with masks on.

“We got treated like common criminals for it. I apologise to Celtic supporters for the fallout and what has happened.

“That was never our intention. We went out there with the best of intentions to do a good weeks’ work, come back and really look forward to the second half of the season.

“We followed the protocols, but it has backfired on us because the goalposts have been moved.”

You said you should apologise if anyone has to. Do you feel there needed to be an apology for it?

“The intention for going to Dubai was correct, what was regretful was the outcome of it and the way we have been treated on it. The whole bus thing? Clubs up and down the country are travelling on three buses. Now by the regulations now that can’t be possible.”

Do you think if you have beaten Rangers there wouldn’t have been the same backlash?

“It’s hard to say.”

SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell has confirmed their disciplinary department is investigating whether you broke protocols following the publication of the photos. Will it be an injustice for you if Celtic are punished given that nothing happened to Scotland?

“As long as they investigate that that’s fine. It is hypocrisy of the highest order. I am feeling aggrieved and my staff and players are feeling aggrieved as well. It is all political.”

Leagues shut down claim?

“I have no comment. It’s such nonsense I don’t even have to answer that.

Another positive case though?

“There’s another positive but he’s already been isolating and the rest of the squad is negative. It won’t affect the squad at all.

“No one else is affected.

Hartson says time to go?

“John has an opinion, like more people on the periphery of the game. You either take it on board or you don’t. It has no impact on me.

“It means nothing.

“When he is praising me, it means nothing. When he’s talking about me losing my job or being removed from my job, it means nothing to me.

“John feels he has a job to do. Yeah, he could have rang me first and had a chat about it.

“But when you are on the media side – and I’ve been there myself – it’s an easy life."

Is the title race still alive?

“Well we’ve got to win every game. It’s as simple as that. The players are capable of doing it.

“We were really going well, played well at Ibrox and were the better team.

“And then this has happened.

“So we just have to galvanise ourselves and go again.

“This season has been totally disrupted constantly. We’ve had very little room for momentum building.

“You had the Bolingoli incident at the start of the season, then you had four guys on international duty ruled out- that disrupted our preparations.

“And then we’ve had this, the whole fall-out which I think has been completely over the top.

The club gave you support, are they still backing you?

“Yes, they’re fully behind me. I’m in contact with Peter daily.

“There has been no talk of any change or any difference to my position.

“I’ve always been appreciative of the support Peter and the board have given me. They’ve been absolutely wonderful.

“It’s only a month ago that we won the Treble. Since I’ve come back, we’ve won five trophies in a row.

“That seems to have been forgotten very quickly by some people.

“It’s not an easy thing to do. I think I’m the first person ever to win the Treble as a player and manager.

“So I’m not saying the performances have been good this season. They haven’t. I’m not shying away from that.

“But, you know, we’re going through a difficult period. We’re going through a bit of adversity. And you need to be strong.

“I think I’m completely the right man for the job. I have the backing of the board – and the players, as well.

Isolation experience?

“You heart sinks, of course it does, because you can’t do your job for 10 days. We had two very important games against formidable teams and you want to be able to do all you can.

“It was very frustrating. And I understand what the public are going through at the minute. I understand their frustrations, having gone through it myself.

“It’s not an easy thing to go through because you know you’re healthy, you know you’re well. But you have to adhere to the rules.

“It’s awful what we’re living through at the moment. And that’s been interesting, as well, watching news loops and seeing how it’s affecting the public not just in the UK but around the world. It’s horrendous.

“And yes we are privileged to be doing our jobs at the minute.

“But I can guarantee there has been no abuse of those privileges.

“Well, we had the Hibs game on the telly.

“I was constantly on the phone to the dugout. Then it was exactly the same at the weekend against Livingston.

“It wasn’t easy. You don’t get a real feel for the game and see the whole picture.

“It was very, very difficult and very frustrating because you can’t do your job properly through no fault of your own.”

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    To be fair, the Scotland players were in a bubble on a Euro qualifying trip. Scott Brown and Neil Lennon were sitting drinking pints at the pool next to Branda and Tam from Larkhall on an unnecessary training jolly.
    The "bubble" rules only allow football players to come into close contact with one another during training and matches, they are supposed to follow the same social distancing rules as the rest of us at all other times.

I could understand the actions of the Scotland players that night but it doesn't make it right.

The majority of Lennon's rant was nonsense but he did have a point about the Scotland players. The circumstances are different of course in terms of the purpose of both trips but he was referring to the media reaction being different which I think he does have a poibt about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    The "bubble" rules only allow football players to come into close contact with one another during training and matches, they are supposed to follow the same social distancing rules as the rest of us at all other times.

I could understand the actions of the Scotland players that night but it doesn't make it right.

The majority of Lennon's rant was nonsense but he did have a point about the Scotland players. The circumstances are different of course in terms of the purpose of both trips but he was referring to the media reaction being different which I think he does have a poibt about.
    In the text above, how much is nonsense?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I’m also baffled.

In a seriously congested season, at a time when people are being told to stay at home, Celtc jet off to Dubai for beer and pool time, facilitated by moving a fixture to accommodate them.

Their team is seriously underperforming and they’ve not managed to avoid COVID either.

From any angle, it looks simply awful, and railing at the media for ‘hypocrisy’ misses the mark by a mile.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    55 hate filled pages and now we’ve turned to his mental health.

Classy.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Classy.

There shouldn’t be any need for ‘hate’.

Certainly none from me. I know it’s very typical of football supporters to turn on those we previously praised, but I have been and remain a Neil Lennon fan.

I just think he’s struck the wrong tone here, not helped by working for such an arrogant club who always see themselves as the victim.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Classy.
    I really don’t get the need to bring his mental health into everything he does.

The guy is acting like a knob. We’ve all done it, it doesn’t need to be attributed to the fact he has mental health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I’m also baffled.

In a seriously congested season, at a time when people are being told to stay at home, Celtc jet off to Dubai for beer and pool time, facilitated by moving a fixture to accommodate them.

Their team is seriously underperforming and they’ve not managed to avoid COVID either.

From any angle, it looks simply awful, and railing at the media for ‘hypocrisy’ misses the mark by a mile.
    Deflection tactics for a club who have monumentally ballsed up their 10IAR bid.

They've been caught sleeping at the wheel and Lennon (once again) showing his limitations as a manager. In such an important season too.

If they were 15 points clear at the top he wouldn't bother his arse about the media flak.

His ability, or lack of it, is there for all to see.

I'm quite enjoying it all tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Deflection tactics for a club who have monumentally ballsed up their 10IAR bid.

They've been caught sleeping at the wheel and Lennon (once again) showing his limitations as a manager. In such an important season too.

If they were 15 points clear at the top he wouldn't bother his arse about the media flak.

His ability, or lack of it, is there for all to see.

I'm quite enjoying it all tbh.
    Same here.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Classy.
    What I don't get, is that if we want to talk about Scott Allan and his problems, the thread is shut down before it can reach 2 pages. Apparently because we don't want speculation, or the likes, about peoples health when we don't actually know.

Doesn't apply to Lennon for some reason.

Thing is, I couldn't give a **** about Neil Lennon, and have nae interest in what is or isn't wrong with him, but I can read about that on here. I really do care about what's going on with Scott Allan, but we're not allowed to speculate or talk about that.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    What I don't get, is that if we want to talk about Scott Allan and his problems, the thread is shut down before it can reach 2 pages. Apparently because we don't want speculation, or the likes, about peoples health when we don't actually know.

Thing is, I couldn't give a **** about Neil Lennon, and have nae interest in what is or isn't wrong with him, but I can read about that on here. I really do care about what's going on with Scott Allan, but we're not allowed to speculate or talk about that.
    NL has been quite public about his health issues. SA hasn't and due to patient confidentiality in which the club would be liable, it wouldn't be right to speculate.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    NL has been quite public about his health issues. SA hasn't and due to patient confidentiality in which the club would be liable, it wouldn't be right to speculate.
    Scott Allan has been public about having diabetes, and I'm not asking anyone to break patient confidentiality rules.

Neil Lennon has not been public about having bipolar disorder. Ever, as far as I'm aware.

The club certainly aren't liable for any speculation on here.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Is the difference not that Lennon has been very open about his mental health, whereas it’s pure speculation about what’s wrong with Allan and whether he’ll ever play again.

For what it’s worth, I agree with others that too often Lennon's mental health can be used as a crutch for his behaviour. Sometimes it will be as a result of his struggles, other times it’s just him acting like an arse.

Classy.
    I cant see 55 hate filled pages, just folk pointing out what he said was wrong and out of order.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Is the difference not that Lennon has been very open about his mental health, whereas it’s pure speculation about what’s wrong with Allan and whether he’ll ever play again.

For what it’s worth, I agree with others that too often Lennon's mental health can be used as a crutch for his behaviour. Sometimes it will be as a result of his struggles, other times it’s just him acting like an arse.
    It's still pure speculation that Lennon is being a prick because of his mental health issues. Just because he's said that he's suffered from depression, that doesn't mean he's having mental problems every time he's not happy on the telly.

It is speculation to talk about what's wrong with Scott Allan, and I don't even see the problem with us speculating, I just don't understand why that speculation is not allowed wen it's Scott Allan, but speculation about Lennons mental health/bipolar/whatever is fair game?

If I was St Johnstone and Hamilton I would tell Celtic to get changed on their 20 buses. Clubs would have had to carry out risk assessments which would be available to Celtic and the SPFL, if the facilities at both these grounds are as described both clubs would have received more complaints.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    The club certainly aren't liable for any speculation on here.
    Unless someone was spot on with specifics.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    In the text above, how much is nonsense?
    No awareness of the sacrifices the wider public are making on a daily basis and any consideration at what was a training trip taking place at a time when virus was rising significantly and travel is not genuinely essential. They have a multi million pound training complex. The pictures particularly of him and Brown next to apparently tourists on sun beds was clearly breaking protocols. Didn't realise they had 60 people there wow. Defending the indefensible imo. We didn't need to apologise for anything.

It's still pure speculation that Lennon is being a prick because of his mental health issues. Just because he's said that he's suffered from depression, that doesn't mean he's having mental problems every time he's not happy on the telly.

It is speculation to talk about what's wrong with Scott Allan, and I don't even see the problem with us speculating, I just don't understand why that speculation is not allowed wen it's Scott Allan, but speculation about Lennons mental health/bipolar/whatever is fair game?
    Its not wrong to speculate about Scott Allans health situation. The fact that nothing has been disclosed about it leads to folk speculating about what it is or isnt. The club and others have clearly decided that its best to keep it under wraps maybe at the players wishes.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post

Can it not also be used as an excuse for his behaviour? Surely personal responsibility for how he behaves.

Unless someone was spot on with specifics.
    If something is leaked, then it's no longer speculation.

The club isn't liable for anything that you or I say, however outrageous. If one of us repeats something that a club employee tells us, then that's a different story.

Bottom line is that this was a trip that could and should have been avoided.

It wasn't necessary or essential to travel to Dubai. If Neil Lennon had wanted to sharpen the training regime Celtc have, to use a popular cliche, "state of the art" facilities to do that. For everyone at Celtc to fail to see the optics that this trip would be perceived by all, including their own support, to have a recreation / jolly element to it is pretty staggering.

When people, including the Celtc support, have lost loved ones, been seriously ill, lost jobs, are suffering great financial hardships, for any football club to jet to the other side of the world for such an unnecessary trip was hugely insensitive and hugely arrogant.

Lawells delayed -sorry not sorry- "apology" only came after the Celtc support had turned on their club en masse, and imo is driven by a fear of reduced ST sales and sponsorship rather than any genuine contrition. Lennons failure to ever take any responsibility for any of his actions and deflect attention onto others is typical Lennon.
    Last edited by Brizo; 20-01-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    No awareness of the sacrifices the wider public are making on a daily basis and any consideration at what was a training trip taking place at a time when virus was rising significantly and travel is not genuinely essential. They have a multi million pound training complex. The pictures particularly of him and Brown next to apparently tourists on sun beds was clearly breaking protocols. Didn't realise they had 60 people there wow. Defending the indefensible imo. We didn't need to apologise for anything.
    Try to ignore your own opinion and feelings about whether Celtis should have gone and bear in mind the fact that they were within their rights to do so.

The vast majority of what he says makes sense. His emotive state, the current context and our own opinions might put things in a different light, but there's nothing much wrong with the content of his statements/answers.

Try to ignore your own opinion and feelings about whether Celtis should have gone and bear in mind the fact that they were within their rights to do so.

The vast majority of what he says makes sense. His emotive state, the current context and our own opinions might put things in a different light, but there's nothing much wrong with the content of his statements/answers.

Legally, on a technicality, yes.

But they were very foolish not to cancel.