hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For a while we were playing the best football in the League under Lennon. Hit a bad patch of form at the end but that can always happen to a team with our budget. I would have him back in the future in a second.

What a miserable place this is. Some seem to just dislike everyone.
    If someone else built the team for him and he just had to coach them and motivated him, sure. If he was in charge of transfers as well, definitely not. Made an absolute arse of replacing Stubbs team, a team that was built entirely in the championship on 9k season ticket holders.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    For a while we were playing the best football in the League under Lennon. Hit a bad patch of form at the end but that can always happen to a team with our budget. I would have him back in the future in a second.

What a miserable place this is. Some seem to just dislike everyone.
    This place is full of it these days. Practically anyone involved in Scottish football that isn’t at Hibs gets absolutely slated for anything and everything.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Don’t agree we were woeful our first season back up. Thought we were pretty decent and then went onto be outstanding after January.

Other than that though I’d agree generally. We weren’t great in the Championship and were rotten in our second season back up until he left.
    Definitely not 'woeful' in the first season back. We'd hit a bit of a plateau by the new year but the transfer window signings set us off on a brilliant run.

We also started the second season back up well and were top of the league by October, not forgetting a good (by Scottish club standards) European run.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Did we not go 14/15 games without a win? That's more than a bad patch. That's sackable form.

*Bit harsh it was 2 wins in 14
    Remember it well and there were no calls from anyone to have him sacked.

There never were. The day he left everyone was in complete shock, no one said they saw it coming.

The general feeling amongst the fans was that the board hadn’t supported him enough in the summer. Even through that run of 14 the fans were generally right behind Lennon and saying it was down to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

There never were. The day he left everyone was in complete shock, no one said they saw it coming.

The general feeling amongst the fans was that the board hadn’t supported him enough in the summer. Even through that run of 14 the fans were generally right behind Lennon and saying it was down to the players.
    Horrible period. Lennon calling out Kamberi on a weekly basis almost. Mind boggling team selections week after week. I remember saying at the time we'd end up relegated if something didn't give. It was a sad end to what was a pretty good few years!

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    https://twitter.com/jucojames/status...034232832?s=19

Interesting and damning thread about Lennon and Celtic's upper management here. Never heard of this guy before, but he's supposedly pretty well informed.
    That's quite interesting.

I remember someone at Hibs calling Lennon a 'flip chart manager in a digital era'. Tbf the same person went on to list several qualities Lennon had as well so it wasn't a wholly negative assessment.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    He was the right manager for us at the time.

by the end it was clear it had run its course but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy his tenure. Some great football and some great results. Competitive against the old firm. Good atmosphere at ER.

A mixed legacy but overall I remember his time fondly. Wish him well.
    I would agree with all that but having said all that Celtc were off their heid to give him the job full time, should have thanked him for the job he came in and did and moved for someone else in the summer

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Horrible period. Lennon calling out Kamberi on a weekly basis almost. Mind boggling team selections week after week. I remember saying at the time we'd end up relegated if something didn't give. It was a sad end to what was a pretty good few years!
    It was never that bad.

When you say 'I remember saying at the time'......is that like when you remember thinking at the time McNulty had got himself sent off deliberately in the Derby?

mmmm who does he manage now, who pays his wages.
    No interest now he has gone from my team.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    So which players are wanting to leave Celtic

First Team Breakthrough

That's not my recollection. The feeling I had was that Lennon had lost it bigtime, not just with the horrible run of form but with his body language and general demeanour. His tactics and team selections were getting pelters and I for one was hugely relieved when he went because we were in relegation form.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    It was never that bad.
    It really was that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    So which players are wanting to leave Celtic
    Ntcham, Ajer, Christie, Griffiths and Edouard were 5 guesses in I think the Record.....so prob none of them!

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    It really was that bad.
    All about opinions I suppose......I certainly don't recall mind boggling team selections every week.

This isnt true at all. There were many wanting him gone around that time.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=Lennon

Theres a thread from full time in his final game we lost away to Motherwell. Plenty people thinking it was time for him to go.
    Last edited by we are hibs; 27-08-2020 at 04:00 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

I think your recollecting that period through rose tinted glasses a little. It came as a shock that Lennon was no longer the manager in the way it happened, but my recollection is that with each week more and more people were coming round to the view that it wasn’t just a blip we were on and it was more a case of when, not if, he was going to be sacked. “Selection bingo” was a popular phrase at the time as Lennons lineups and formations became more erratic. 6 or 7 defenders playing away to Killie, the lineup posted a few pages back at home to Livi etc. That’s not to say that the players got off scot free during that period either as they badly underperformed and Lennon was right to call them out. However he wasn’t quite as good at calling out what he was getting wrong.

I also don’t remember the support questioning the boards backing, we spent money on Horgan, Mallan, making Kamberi permanent and signed Milligan in the summer window. There was lots of criticism that we had recruited poorly, and worries about the midfield, but that’s not the same as saying the board didn’t back him. Our recruitment was poor for a number of years, particularly the summer windows, so it wasn’t an issue unique to Lennon. However I’d say that he had one exceptional January window and 3 poor windows overall.

I was responding to your recollection of his last season so not just an opportunity to have a dig at Lennon. It’s not really relevant to my reply above but before the wheels fell off he deserves credit for promotion, getting 4th and the fantastic ride there in the second half of the season. As well as improving an already very good midfield unit and players like Boyle etc.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Slivka at right wing back more than once (I think), that Killie game where we got skelped 3-0 and he played about 7 defenders. Lewis Allan getting a run in the side despite being woefully out of his depth. I’m sure there’s more.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Ntcham, Ajer, Christie, Griffiths and Edouard were 5 guesses in I think the Record.....so prob none of them!
    I’m not sure Griffiths wants away, but not surprised about the rest of them
    Heard Christie’s refusing to sign a contract extension, and fancies a move to the Premier league
    All in all, doesn’t sound a happy camp

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I detested Lennon as a player, wasn't that keen when he was appointed, accepted him when we had a decent run of results but wasn't that fussed when he departed.

First Team Breakthrough
    All about opinions I suppose......I certainly don't recall mind boggling team selections every week.
    This one was a belter: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46325989. An ultra-defensive formation, "we came not to lose", and we got pumped 3-0.

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    This one was a belter: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46325989. An ultra-defensive formation, "we came not to lose", and we got pumped 3-0.
    Indeed....sad day when your best hope is another floodlight failure.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This isnt true at all. There were many wanting him gone around that time.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=Lennon

Theres a thread from full time in his final game we lost away to Motherwell. Plenty people thinking it was time for him to go.
    To be fair that could be after any defeat on this site.

Was Sparky on bench last night ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Lennons an ******** and doesn’t give a **** about Hibs. **** him.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Slivka at right wing back more than once (I think), that Killie game where we got skelped 3-0 and he played about 7 defenders. Lewis Allan getting a run in the side despite being woefully out of his depth. I’m sure there’s more.
    Lewis Allen, there’s a name I’d completely forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Was Sparky on bench last night ?
    No.His usual calf injury.

Blog Entries
    Stokes (talking as a Celtic supporter) just on Reporting Scotland, seeming to just shrug off their defeat last night and saying 10IAR is all that matters. Pretty blinkered, parochial viewpoint as surely ECL participation is more financially rewarding than 9.75 IAR.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Stokes (talking as a Celtic supporter) just on Reporting Scotland, seeming to just shrug off their defeat last night and saying 10IAR is all that matters. Pretty blinkered, parochial viewpoint as surely ECL participation is more financially rewarding than 9.75 IAR.
    Is quoting 9.75 not a bit parochial? Only Rangers fans surely believe Celtic didn’t win the league last year?

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Once again he fails when really tested. The born winner stuff is really starting to fade.

And of course its all the players fault. He leaves two expensive strikers on the bench and puts Christie up front but takes none of the blame. Its like Tynecastle all over again.
    An absolute cowardly welt of a man.

Glad he’s gone.

And who’s fault will it be this time? I hear he is ‘carrying the can’ in a sort of ‘its all the players fault’ way.
    Last edited by judas; 27-08-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Is quoting 9.75 not a bit parochial? Only Rangers fans surely believe Celtic didn’t win the league last year?
    Fair point but, that apart you might want to address the more obvious point I’m making.