hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Lennon

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mind the time he played Oli Shaw and Lewis Allan up front purely to try and prove a point? Those were the days.
    Against Livi. I was actually quite excited at the prospect. Did we not miss a penalty then Porteous got the equaliser?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I agree it wasn't that much of a shock. Is Scottish football really any better than Hungarian? The Hungarians also just beat the Swedish champions in the round before.

This Celtic team are bang average and I'd make it 50/50 who wins the league right now. Lennon will go from being a hero at Celtic to being despised if he messes up 10 in a row.
    A lot will depend on who the buy and probably more importantly sell before window is out. Doesn't say much for Klijmaal or Ajeti that they were not trusted last night, can see Ajeti not being up to speed but Klijmaal has had full preseason and played and also scored in league. If Eduard leaves or wants to leave and goes in the huff because they deny him could be real issues. Lennon was lucky there was no crowd there yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Listened to him after the game and couldn't disagree with anything he said.

He called it spot on, like he usually does. I really like listening to him.
    Did he not threaten to reconsider his position in the summer?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Surely those views are simply offset by the chat that Lennon was a “born winner”, which doesn’t actually mean anything, or that we won’t ever get a manager as good as Lennon again. Those views are/were equally as unbalanced and unrealistic.
    I don’t see those things said very often and if they are it’s usually being chucked in by people who want to use these things negatively.

Listened to him after the game and couldn't disagree with anything he said.

He called it spot on, like he usually does. I really like listening to him.
    It's often the case that when he goes off on one fans find Lennon agreeable. Slaughtering the players after a defeat will always play well with fans who are generally emotive about the game rather than it being their profession. It's why the 'get them doon tae Gullane' attitude persists despite the fact it would be pointless punishment rather than constructive coaching.

A fan raging about getting horsed out of Europe, or someone who can understand that frustration, is going to find themselves nodding along when a manager starts listing his players failings, calling them out and telling them the club deserves better. Indeed there is probably even an element of truth in some of the ranting. When it becomes a go to whenever the going gets tough it's harder to take seriously though. It doesn't even seem to have worked this time either as from what I have read the majority of Celtic fans have Lennon firmly in their sights now.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's often the case that when he goes off on one fans find Lennon agreeable. Slaughtering the players after a defeat will always play well with fans who are generally emotive about the game rather than it being their profession. It's why the 'get them doon tae Gullane' attitude persists despite the fact it would be pointless punishment rather than constructive coaching.

A fan raging about getting horsed out of Europe, or someone who can understand that frustration, is going to find themselves nodding along when a manager starts listing his players failings, calling them out and telling them the club deserves better. Indeed there is probably even an element of truth in some of the ranting. When it becomes a go to whenever the going gets tough it's harder to take seriously though. It doesn't even seem to have worked this time either as from what I have read the majority of Celtic fans have Lennon firmly in their sights now.
    Couldn't agree more

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Against Livi. I was actually quite excited at the prospect. Did we not miss a penalty then Porteous got the equaliser?
    I think Horgan scored first and we then lost 2 crappy goals?

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    I think Horgan scored first and we then lost 2 crappy goals?
    I think there is confusion between 2 games. The first game was away and is the one you are referring to. Horgan scored first and we lost 2-1. Hibs team was:

31Bogdan
    25Ambrose
    36Porteous
    4Hanlon
    10Boyle
    3Whittaker
    7Horgan
    14Mallan
    16Stevenson
    9Maclaren
    49Allan

We also drew 1-1 at home with Livingston later in the season, team that day was:

31Bogdan
    25Ambrose
    24McGregor
    36Porteous
    10Boyle
    8Slivka
    5Milligan
    20Hyndman
    43Mackie
    32Shaw
    49Allan
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    I think there is confusion between 2 games. The first game was away and is the one you are referring to. Horgan scored first and we lost 2-1. Hibs team was:

31Bogdan
    25Ambrose
    36Porteous
    4Hanlon
    10Boyle
    3Whittaker
    7Horgan
    14Mallan
    16Stevenson
    9Maclaren
    49Allan

We also drew 1-1 at home with Livingston later in the season, team that day was:

31Bogdan
    25Ambrose
    24McGregor
    36Porteous
    10Boyle
    8Slivka
    5Milligan
    20Hyndman
    43Mackie
    32Shaw
    49Allan

Ah yes....thanks. Prob tried to blank both from the memory tbh.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

I don’t think he went off on one at all last night.

Listen to what he actually said, do you disagree with any of it or is it because it’s Lennon saying it?

Listen to what he actually said, do you disagree with any of it or is it because it’s Lennon saying it?
    I don't know enough about the internal politics at Celtic to know if I agree or not. His assessment about the chances they created was pretty accurate, beyond that I just don't know.

I'm wary when any manager starts questioning their players mentality, attitude and commitment publicly. Telling players to leave is a risky move in an age when players hold all the power. He's taking a massive gamble calling out his players like that, it may well work and he'll get a reaction. If it doesn't he'll be out the door before some of them will, as was the case for him at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Surely the biggest question is: in a one off, must-win tie, why didn’t he select a single striker? If none of their 4 strikers were fit enough, why not?

That’s a question for Lennon to answer and I don’t think he has... instead he has deflected the criticism.

@hibs.net private member
    I suspect a lot of NL's comments were aimed at Griffiths. If his attitude had been right then he would have played last night and the result may well have been different. Not surprised his manager is very angry.

Re Lennon's time at ER - the usual polarised debate here. In my view Lennon was really good for us and while we weren't outstanding in the year we won the championship, we were better than previous and Lennon got a big improvement in Boyle. The following year we were ticking along nicely for our first year back up but then really came to life after Christmas. While many put this down to Kamberi, McLaren and Alan - I think the biggest factor was changing McGeouch's position from RM to the base of a midfield 3. Our midfield pretty much dominated every game thereafter. Whether that was by luck or design - Lennon deserves the credit. It's the best sustained period I've seen from Hibs in my lifetime.

Things started to go downhill quickly the next season - no surprise with the loss of McGeouch, Alan and then McGinn. No wonder the strikers started to struggle. This was a huge challenge and would have taken patience and time to overcome but Lennon seemed agitated and started to blame the players. No surprise that it ended the way it did.

Conclusion - Lennon has many good attributes and is a good manager of a good team but his weakness is probably in managing teams in a mess or in decline due to his aggressive approach with players not meeting his standards. I still think he's a good fit for Celtic but will be tested if Rangers ever get their act together and put him under a lot of pressure.

While Lennon is also a bit of a wind up merchant, at Hibs I thought he came across as a decent human being. That said, I did think the management's treatment of Kamberi (no matter how deserved) crossed a line.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

First Lennon took responsibility for the loss last night.He also blamed the players-he was right.Don’t know how much say he has in what players are signed-it’s obviously very much a business decision.The truth is you don’t need to be a European standard defender to play in our league.This is proved regularly in the games our teams play.Griffiths let him down big time and now has his usual calves problem which he has had for years evidently from not doing enough gym work when he was young and which comes up every season.Who’d be a football manager-it’s like herding cats.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    He was the right manager for us at the time.

by the end it was clear it had run its course but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy his tenure. Some great football and some great results. Competitive against the old firm. Good atmosphere at ER.

A mixed legacy but overall I remember his time fondly. Wish him well.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    I suspect a lot of NL's comments were aimed at Griffiths. If his attitude had been right then he would have played last night and the result may well have been different. Not surprised his manager is very angry.

Re Lennon's time at ER - the usual polarised debate here. In my view Lennon was really good for us and while we weren't outstanding in the year we won the championship, we were better than previous and Lennon got a big improvement in Boyle. The following year we were ticking along nicely for our first year back up but then really came to life after Christmas. While many put this down to Kamberi, McLaren and Alan - I think the biggest factor was changing McGeouch's position from RM to the base of a midfield 3. Our midfield pretty much dominated every game thereafter. Whether that was by luck or design - Lennon deserves the credit. It's the best sustained period I've seen from Hibs in my lifetime.

Things started to go downhill quickly the next season - no surprise with the loss of McGeouch, Alan and then McGinn. No wonder the strikers started to struggle. This was a huge challenge and would have taken patience and time to overcome but Lennon seemed agitated and started to blame the players. No surprise that it ended the way it did.

Conclusion - Lennon has many good attributes and is a good manager of a good team but his weakness is probably in managing teams in a mess or in decline due to his aggressive approach with players not meeting his standards. I still think he's a good fit for Celtic but will be tested if Rangers ever get their act together and put him under a lot of pressure.

While Lennon is also a bit of a wind up merchant, at Hibs I thought he came across as a decent human being. That said, I did think the management's treatment of Kamberi (no matter how deserved) crossed a line.

In the promotion season we got 71 points. The previous season we got 70 points and that was with the Rangers in the league and us getting to two cup finals. We also won fewer games in the promotion season than in the season before. The differences between the two seasons is that we got harder to beat, probably due to a big upgrade in our goalkeeper, and we were up against weaker, less consistent opposition.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    In the promotion season we got 71 points. The previous season we got 70 points and that was with the Rangers in the league and us getting to two cup finals. We also won fewer games in the promotion season than in the season before. The differences between the two seasons is that we got harder to beat, probably due to a big upgrade in our goalkeeper, and we were up against weaker, less consistent opposition.
    You can only beat what is put in front of you and let's not forget the season before Falkirk finished above us and put us out in a two leg play off.

I certainly thought there was a big improvement in Hibs. Under Stubbs we were very narrow and struggled to break down teams and create chances. Lennon improved that from the outset with far better width and Boyle really started to improve his final product.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    You can only beat what is put in front of you and let's not forget the season before Falkirk finished above us and put us out in a two leg play off.

I certainly thought there was a big improvement in Hibs. Under Stubbs we were very narrow and struggled to break down teams and create chances. Lennon improved that from the outset with far better width and Boyle really started to improve his final product.
    Yes, and we beat the opposition that was put in front of us fewer times under Lennon than we did under Stubbs...

Granted Falkirk beat us in the league on goal difference as we stumbled towards the end of an exhausting season but I'm sure we all remember the circumstances in which they won the playoff tie.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post

by the end it was clear it had run its course but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy his tenure. Some great football and some great results. Competitive against the old firm. Good atmosphere at ER.

Same.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Can't help thinking that if Celtic want to kick on to the next level in Europe, they will need to replace Lennon. Embarrassing defeats in Europe have become the norm; they need a new approach. Brendan Rodgers improved them greatly domestically, but also had some bad European results against supposedly lesser teams. If they want to be considered a big club outside Scotland once again, they will need to show some ambition, otherwise it's remain a big fish in a small pond.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

Decent summary, especially the part about the atmosphere around ER.

The place was buzzing before and after most games, some of it was amazing.

Natural Order was one of my best days at ER in the last 10 years or so and the way Lennon handled Levein was superb.

There are no outstanding coaches,European or otherwise, in Scotland as they want to be where the best players are.Like all of them Lennon has his weaknesses but generally I enjoyed his time with Hibs.Something was always happening.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    First Lennon took responsibility for the loss last night.He also blamed the players-he was right.Don’t know how much say he has in what players are signed-it’s obviously very much a business decision.The truth is you don’t need to be a European standard defender to play in our league.This is proved regularly in the games our teams play.Griffiths let him down big time and now has his usual calves problem which he has had for years evidently from not doing enough gym work when he was young and which comes up every season.Who’d be a football manager-it’s like herding cats.

Someone once said to me that if whatever it was referred to something extremely difficult it should be described as being like herding ducks as that's worse than herding cats because they also **** on your shoes. This is how I imagine being a manager is.

On the positive side, its been a while since there was a .net opportunity for a Neil Lennon hate fest. I'd imagine some posters must think Christmas has come early. Whatever else is the case, he totally had Kamberi's number the useless twat.

Fair and balanced assessment.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    I think he was overated at Hibs. Lots loved the big character.

1st season in Championship was eye bleeding and we took our time to win it. Thought football was unattractive and negative.

1st Season back we were woeful till after Christmas until Allan, Kamberi and Mclaren came in on loan.

2nd season back up and we were on course for relegation before he was sacked/left.

Failed down south and struggling now at Celtic even though their budget dwarfs the rest of teams in the league.

Man management skills are clearly lacking and hark back to a bygone era.
    Don’t agree we were woeful our first season back up. Thought we were pretty decent and then went onto be outstanding after January.

Other than that though I’d agree generally. We weren’t great in the Championship and were rotten in our second season back up until he left.

Left by mutual consent!

Spot on. He was a great choice as Hibs boss to follow Stubbs and after taking us back up to the top flight he was brilliant at making sure we made our presence felt there with a bit of swagger, rather than adopting a 'survival first' mentality. It didn't end well, but like you I enjoyed the majority of his time with us. The desire by some to jump upon any poor Celtic result as a reason to put the boot into him baffles me.

https://twitter.com/jucojames/status...034232832?s=19

Interesting and damning thread about Lennon and Celtic's upper management here. Never heard of this guy before, but he's supposedly pretty well informed.

For a while we were playing the best football in the League under Lennon. Hit a bad patch of form at the end but that can always happen to a team with our budget. I would have him back in the future in a second.

What a miserable place this is. Some seem to just dislike everyone.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Once again he fails when really tested. The born winner stuff is really starting to fade.

And of course its all the players fault. He leaves two expensive strikers on the bench and puts Christie up front but takes none of the blame. Its like Tynecastle all over again.
    Crap tactics - blame the players. Sure I've seen this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    For a while we were playing the best football in the League under Lennon. Hit a bad patch of form at the end but that can always happen to a team with our budget. I would have him back in the future in a second.

What a miserable place this is. Some seem to just dislike everyone.
    Did we not go 14/15 games without a win? That's more than a bad patch. That's sackable form.

*Bit harsh it was 2 wins in 14
    Last edited by Since452; 27-08-2020 at 03:00 PM.