hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 2217

Thread: Neil Lennon

  1. #31
    I liked Lennon before his time at Hibs and for much of his time at Hibs.

    I lost a lot of respect for him after that game at Tynecastle. Changing the team that had steamrollered everything before it for weeks was odd but I almost understand why he did it. We lost so he should have shouldered some responsibility. To call players who had given everything that season 'unprofessional' was unfair. To tell a blatant lie about the board not backing him in January (and admitting it was a lie some time later) opened the floodgates for all the usual criticisms. It was a disgraceful thing to do and he knew exactly what he was doing when he did it. Classic deflection as suddenly no one was talking about him but all anger was focused on the board. The whole 'I'm the only one who really cares about winning' was a slight on some players who done a lot more for Hibs than he ever did.

    The whole 'Lenny changed our mentality in derbies' line is a total crock anyway. It's disrespectful to Stubbs and the players who regularly performed well in derbies and more than matched Hearts when it became a battle.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    35,615
    BREAKING: Boli Bolingoli confirmed as Celticís player of the year after going further in Europe than the rest of his team mates put together.

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9,544
    While he did well for the club in the Championship and our first season back I lost a lot of respect for him after the Tynecastle derby defeat onwards. He rarely took any blame, chucked his players under the bus repeatedly and had us playing turgid football sitting 8th in the league. His time was up.

  5. #34
    I will be surprised if he holds on to his job tbh. I know itís 10 iar etc but he continues to let them down on big occasions. Not playing a striker last night was embarrassing.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,184
    He's lived off that one game against Barca and thinks he's a tactical genius, the same tactics every plays against them, soak up pressure and hit on the break, genius haha.
    Anyone with a half decent football background will do well at Celtic, they've got the money, players and coaches in place, set them up right and on you go.
    Once again hes been found out and its everyone elses fault, no desire etc etc blah blah blah, same thing happened the last time he was at Celtic, he accused them of penny pinching.

  7. #36
    I see he's reverted to type - just like he did at Hibs Post May 2018 at Tiny.
    When the going gets tough - Lennon plays the blame game. It will all start to slowly unravel over there now as I can see some of their players turning against him.
    Hes not a great manager at all - as others have said we were languishing in 8th when he left us. We weren't impressive in winning a poor Championship under him, our best spell was the 2nd half of our 1st season back up and he managed to blow that at Tiny. The following season under him was mainly a disaster which all his media pals conveniently forget when calling him a success at Hibs.

  8. #37
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,548
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will be surprised if he holds on to his job tbh. I know itís 10 iar etc but he continues to let them down on big occasions. Not playing a striker last night was embarrassing.
    It's a decision that should get him the sack - you simply cannot blame players when you have three strikers to choose from, one bought recently for millions with Europe no doubt in mind. He claimed they were not match fit............their new signing scored the winner v Utd and would have played on adrenaline last night, and would have been able to play 60 minutes surely ? Their Polish striker has played pre-season games and scored, also featured in the SPFL and scored.

    As for Leigh, we all know he is a handful at times but he's had his own personal issues which football, and playing regularly, would perhaps be cathartic.

    The blame for last night lies with Neil Lennon and Neil Lennon alone. You have to ask also - the media rightly slaughtered Levein for the same - why not call out Lennon with the same headlines ? Utterly ridiculous at this level of football not to play strikers that can give you at least 45-60 minutes of football.

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,548
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a decision that should get him the sack - you simply cannot blame players when you have three strikers to choose from, one bought recently for millions with Europe no doubt in mind. He claimed they were not match fit............their new signing scored the winner v Utd and would have played on adrenaline last night, and would have been able to play 60 minutes surely ? Their Polish striker has played pre-season games and scored, also featured in the SPFL and scored.

    As for Leigh, we all know he is a handful at times but he's had his own personal issues which football, and playing regularly, would perhaps be cathartic.

    The blame for last night lies with Neil Lennon and Neil Lennon alone. You have to ask also - the media rightly slaughtered Levein for the same - why not call out Lennon with the same headlines ? Utterly ridiculous at this level of football not to play strikers that can give you at least 45-60 minutes of football.
    This. Lenny will get an easy time from his pals in the press just like at Hibs. They'll win their next game against a team with a tenth of their budget and he'll be back to being a winner again in the eyes of some.

  10. #39
    Its hard to believe so many now see Lennon for what he is but in his last weeks at Hibs many people on here were shouted down for wanting him gone and told "we will never get anyone like him again. Born winner blah blah" when it was clear that we were a shambles and he had lost the plot completely. 2 wins in 15 in the end i think it was. A tedious slog in the championship in 16/17 where we done the bare minimum. Pretty average first half to the 17/18 season then a superb run in the 2nd half of the season. A good start to 18/19 before it all fell to pieces and became a bit embarrassing in the end.

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    13,004
    Old pop corn teeth dragged us over the line kicking and screaming in the Championship-too many draws- but we got there that was all that mattered

    In the Premiership he made the Ďbraveí decision in the second half of the season to bin his two main strikers and bring in Kamberi and MacLaren.

    This brought the nearest any of us have seen of the mysteriousí high press Ď and the best football we have seen in a generation.

    We had a real chance of a second place finish. A missed penalty against The Sheep, mind games with Potter in the build up to the derby caused him to Ď overthink Ď his line up deciding to go with Brandon Barker through the middle disrupting our winning lineup resulting in the predictable defeat.

    3-0 up against the Hun on the Sunday and many of us were starting to believe but it was not to be

    His final season was a disaster acting like a man that didnae want to be here working his ticket. Weird team selections and behaviour avoiding the media resulting in Lennongate .

    Only a few people know exactly what happened that day but one thing is for sure he was spot on with regard to Florian Kamberi

    I will be surprised if he is still Celtic Manager at the end of the season

    A career in media beckons

  12. #41
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,827
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, I struggle to understand how some Hibs fans continually have a go at him. As you say he did a good job for us. Every chance we could have stagnated in the Championship for another year or two if we didn't recruit him. No time for Celtic but Lennon was a successful Hibs HC and for me it was mostly happy times when he was with us
    I think he was overated at Hibs. Lots loved the big character.

    1st season in Championship was eye bleeding and we took our time to win it. Thought football was unattractive and negative.

    1st Season back we were woeful till after Christmas until Allan, Kamberi and Mclaren came in on loan.

    2nd season back up and we were on course for relegation before he was sacked/left.

    Failed down south and struggling now at Celtic even though their budget dwarfs the rest of teams in the league.

    Man management skills are clearly lacking and hark back to a bygone era.

  13. #42
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Osprey Heights
    Posts
    29,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the BBC interview with Lennon after the game

    "I'll have to carry the can, and take the responsibility for it."

    Not his usual response, as you suggest. Normally happy to point the finger at his players
    He also said...

    ďGet your mentality right, get your attitude right. If some of you donít want to be here, leave. Let us work with players who want to be here.Ē Pressed on whether he thought some of his group had eyes on other things, he added: ďIn some cases.

    ďThe players need to buckle up. Theyíve been OK but some of their attitudes need to be better if they want to come and play for the club. Iím detecting a little bit of a malaise among them where sometimes theyíre not as good as they think they are.Ē

  14. #43
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    61
    Posts
    52,263
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he was overated at Hibs. Lots loved the big character.

    1st season in Championship was eye bleeding and we took our time to win it. Thought football was unattractive and negative.

    Complete and utter rubbish.
    1st Season back we were woeful till after Christmas until Allan, Kamberi and Mclaren came in on loan.

    More rubbish, what were you expecting after 3 seasons in the Championship, SPFL winning form right away?
    2nd season back up and we were on course for relegation before he was sacked/left.

    Again, complete rubbish

    Failed down south and struggling now at Celtic even though their budget dwarfs the rest of teams in the league.

    Bolton were a basket case, who would have kept them afloat in your opinion?
    Man management skills are clearly lacking and hark back to a bygone era.
    It's amazing that our board who are lauded on here as forward thinking and in LD the best CEO in a long time, were stupid enough to bring in such a dinosaur, and again Celtic the best team by a country mile chose to appoint him AGAIN.

    Cheap option i hear, like Brendan Rodgers?

  15. #44
    Underestimated his opponents. Like he did Hearts in that derby.

    He had 2 strikers that he spent over 8 million pound on on the bench. And he plays Christie up front.

    No one to blame but himself but as usual itís never his fault.

    Celtic fans I know didnít want him in the first place and heís done nothing to change there minds

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he was overated at Hibs. Lots loved the big character.

    1st season in Championship was eye bleeding and we took our time to win it. Thought football was unattractive and negative.

    1st Season back we were woeful till after Christmas until Allan, Kamberi and Mclaren came in on loan.

    2nd season back up and we were on course for relegation before he was sacked/left.

    Failed down south and struggling now at Celtic even though their budget dwarfs the rest of teams in the league.

    Man management skills are clearly lacking and hark back to a bygone era.
    Usual drivel from you

  17. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he was overated at Hibs. Lots loved the big character.

    1st season in Championship was eye bleeding and we took our time to win it. Thought football was unattractive and negative.

    1st Season back we were woeful till after Christmas until Allan, Kamberi and Mclaren came in on loan.

    2nd season back up and we were on course for relegation before he was sacked/left.

    Failed down south and struggling now at Celtic even though their budget dwarfs the rest of teams in the league.

    Man management skills are clearly lacking and hark back to a bygone era.
    Totally agree.

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    18,452
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Usual drivel from you

    Perhaps, but some Hibs fans also have a blind spot when it comes to Lennonís failings.

    He did good things for us no doubt, and brought us many good days, but his ability to second-guess himself with his own tactics and team selection is a persistent failing.

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    32,316
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think Lennon was good for Hibs however imo no doubt he was aware of Rodgers leaving and worked his ticket. It was absolutely the right time to leave as it was going pear shaped. He had every right to pick the team he did at Tiny however personally wouldn't have done so but we lost in the usual up and at em battle on the 5 a side pitch. His reaction after it was extreme but he is that sort of emotional guy. Thought it was quite funny when he was telling Hearts fans how many points ahead of them we were after the game. He was always going to be a short term appointment here imo.

    Celtic fans will be raging however to me it isn't the monumental shock it is being portrayed. Hungarian football is on the rise and think it was said Ferencvaros were unbeaten away in their Europa league last season plus just comfortably beat the Swedish champs. Celtic have looked pretty average in the league games I have seen this year and take Eduard out of that team and they are pretty average imo.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 27-08-2020 at 08:47 AM.

  20. #49
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,036
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps, but some Hibs fans also have a blind spot when it comes to Lennonís failings.

    He did good things for us no doubt, and brought us many good days, but his ability to second-guess himself with his own tactics and team selection is a persistent failing.
    Iím sure most are aware of the failings. No manager will be perfect, however, the negative drivel being written about Lennon isnít in any way balanced or realistic.

  21. #50
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps, but some Hibs fans also have a blind spot when it comes to Lennonís failings.

    He did good things for us no doubt, and brought us many good days, but his ability to second-guess himself with his own tactics and team selection is a persistent failing.
    I don't disagree. The post I commented on was a particularly one eyed side of events which seems to be the way of things on here....particularly when it comes to NL.

  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím sure most are aware of the failings. No manager will be perfect, however, the negative drivel being written about Lennon isnít in any way balanced or realistic.
    Surely those views are simply offset by the chat that Lennon was a ďborn winnerĒ, which doesnít actually mean anything, or that we wonít ever get a manager as good as Lennon again. Those views are/were equally as unbalanced and unrealistic.

  23. #52
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    32,316
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Usual drivel from you
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally agree.
    The joys of .net.

  24. #53
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The joys of .net.
    😁

  25. #54
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9,544
    Mind the time he played Oli Shaw and Lewis Allan up front purely to try and prove a point? Those were the days.

  26. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he was overated at Hibs. Lots loved the big character.

    1st season in Championship was eye bleeding and we took our time to win it. Thought football was unattractive and negative.

    1st Season back we were woeful till after Christmas until Allan, Kamberi and Mclaren came in on loan.

    2nd season back up and we were on course for relegation before he was sacked/left.

    Failed down south and struggling now at Celtic even though their budget dwarfs the rest of teams in the league.

    Man management skills are clearly lacking and hark back to a bygone era.
    We were not woeful until after Christmas. That's just a lie. Doesn't stand up at all.

  27. #56
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,310
    Lennon made a bit of **** of Hibs at times. Club and fans were very supportive, but those four months at the end of that season aside ( 18-19), the football was pretty dire. Heís lost the plot completely by the end, clueless and in a massive rut. Nae malice towards him, but heís being found out again. Not an astute manager.

  28. #57
    Lennon was good for the club at the time, we needed out the championship ASAP 3rd season in there?? Wasnít good enough past 2 seasons, he done the main thing, that Hearts game was a shocker we shouldíve won and was huge chance finish 2nd we blow it.. his time was up he left, got sacked whatever you call it,
    We draw at home against Motherwell and this place turns
    Into world war 2... Lennon unfortunately at times says what all fans think
    after a huge defeat which is angry and pain.. Am glad heís not at Hibs but he was good for us at the time and had bit fun too.. await we lose a game a lot here will turn on the players a lot worse than Lennon does.
    Last edited by smithy_hibees; 27-08-2020 at 08:49 AM.

  29. #58
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    5,715
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Lennon was good for Hibs however imo no doubt he was aware of Rodgers leaving and worked his ticket. It was absolutely the right time to leave as it was going pear shaped. He had every right to pick the team he did at Tiny however personally wouldn't have done so but we lost in the usual up and at em battle on the 5 a side pitch. His reaction after it was extreme but he is that sort of emotional guy. Thought it was quite funny when he was telling Hearts fans how many points ahead of them we were after the game. He was always going to be a short term appointment here imo.

    Celtic fans will be raging however to me it isn't the monumental shock it is being portrayed. Hungarian football is on the rise and think it was said Ferencvaros were unbeaten away in their Europa league last season plus just comfortably beat the Swedish champs. Celtic have looked pretty average in the league games I have seen this year and take Eduardo out of that team and they are pretty average imo.
    I agree it wasn't that much of a shock. Is Scottish football really any better than Hungarian? The Hungarians also just beat the Swedish champions in the round before.

    This Celtic team are bang average and I'd make it 50/50 who wins the league right now. Lennon will go from being a hero at Celtic to being despised if he messes up 10 in a row.

  30. #59
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,441
    Listened to him after the game and couldn't disagree with anything he said.

    He called it spot on, like he usually does. I really like listening to him.

  31. #60
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,310
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listened to him after the game and couldn't disagree with anything he said.

    He called it spot on, like he usually does. I really like listening to him.
    Did he critique his own team selection or tactics? I havenít listened to it, but by all accounts these were significant factors?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)