hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely not Strachan..... I reckon they need to do something urgently but not sure what Strachan would bring. They have a brilliant squad of players yet for some reason they arent showing that on the pitch.
    I saw Martin O'Neill mentioned earlier as well. I'd assume that would be because he is 'Celtic minded' and would play up to a certain section of their fan base. Pretty much the same reason they brought Lennon back really.

It's really hard to understand how Celtic have regressed so quickly from the position Rodgers left them in. Lennon isn't the best manager going and a few players are clearly working their ticket to get away but it can't all be on him; surely they have s structure in place that provides an element of continuity?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Agree with that. Lennon is the off field equivalent of a man short when thing are not going well. He has started pointing fingers and telling players they are lazy on camera etc. Meltdown approaching and he will end up losing the dressing room as he is incapable of shouldering any blame or responsibility. I suspect Celtc would improve regardless of who was brought in but they need to act quickly and also spend big as they are unlikely to ever get another shot of 10 in a row.
    When has this actually happened in Lennon’s reasonably long and successful management career so far?

This seems to be entirely based on an over dramatisation of what was imagined to have gone on at Hibs but that we don’t actually know much about. If anything the talk from players he worked with at the time have remained entirely positive about playing for him.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Every season we hear the same thing about The Rangers needing astronomical sums of money to see out the season. It never happens.
    Yip, Douglas Park and someone else who I can't remember have guaranteed to keep bailing them out so no issues whatsoever with cash. There are always enough staunch millionaires out there to help them sadly

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    When has this actually happened in Lennon’s reasonably long and successful management career so far?

This seems to be entirely based on an over dramatisation of what was imagined to have gone on at Hibs but that we don’t actually know much about. If anything the talk from players he worked with at the time have remained entirely positive about playing for him.
    Well it happened with us to begin with. You really seem to have a very short memory.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Well it happened with us to begin with. You really seem to have a very short memory.
    Did it though?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Every season we hear the same thing about The Rangers needing astronomical sums of money to see out the season. It never happens.

Eh? What never happens?

My point was that The Rangers need money every year to cover their losses and that is a fact, not an opinion. I got the figure wrong - they actually need £23m by the end of next season - but the point still stands: it will be tempting for them to cash in if they get a big offer for a player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55024741

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Eh? What never happens?

My point was that The Rangers need money every year to cover their losses and that is a fact, not an opinion. I got the figure wrong - they actually need £23m by the end of next season - but the point still stands: it will be tempting for them to cash in if they get a big offer for a player.

From their accounts, recently published:-

At the time of preparation, the forecast identified that the Group would require £8.8m by way of debt or equity funding by
    the end of season 2020/21 in order to meet its liabilities as they fall due with further funding of £14.4m required by the end
    of season 2021/22. The first tranche of funding is required from investors before the end of November 2020. However, the
    final amount required is dependent on future football performance, European football participation, player trading and the
    ongoing impact of COVID-19 amongst other factors.
    The Board of Directors have discussed the Club’s forecast cash flow shortfall and have reached agreement with Douglas
    Park and John Bennett whereby they will provide additional loan facilities as necessary to meet shortfalls to the above
    requirements and any further amounts that may be required a result of variances to forecast cash flows. Further to this,
    Douglas Park and John Bennett have agreed to provide a formal facility with funds being made immediately available to
    meet short term cash needs with further funds to be made available to draw down as they are required.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Yip, Douglas Park and someone else who I can't remember have guaranteed to keep bailing them out so no issues whatsoever with cash. There are always enough staunch millionaires out there to help them sadly

I can definitely see why a desire to stop 10IAR could help with the staunchness levels. However, it’s not so long ago that Moonbeams was forced to sell to Craig Whyte because no one else would step up, and then they got rinsed by Charles Green. If I know anything about rich people, they don’t like throwing money away.

Did it though?
    Yes. A weird obsession with blaming Kamberi, playing six defenders against Kilmarnock, bizarre team selections and substitutions, rants in the press (just after the derby at Tynecastle when he had an almighty rant was largely where it started) but in those last few months the buck started anywhere other than with himself and we were terrible on and off the pitch.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Eh? What never happens?

Apologies, I meant they always see out the season. This season won’t be any different, neither will the next one.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

From their accounts, recently published:-

At the time of preparation, the forecast identified that the Group would require £8.8m by way of debt or equity funding by
    the end of season 2020/21 in order to meet its liabilities as they fall due with further funding of £14.4m required by the end
    of season 2021/22. The first tranche of funding is required from investors before the end of November 2020. However, the
    final amount required is dependent on future football performance, European football participation, player trading and the
    ongoing impact of COVID-19 amongst other factors.
    The Board of Directors have discussed the Club’s forecast cash flow shortfall and have reached agreement with Douglas
    Park and John Bennett whereby they will provide additional loan facilities as necessary to meet shortfalls to the above
    requirements and any further amounts that may be required a result of variances to forecast cash flows. Further to this,
    Douglas Park and John Bennett have agreed to provide a formal facility with funds being made immediately available to
    meet short term cash needs with further funds to be made available to draw down as they are required.
    They have a few player assets on the books now

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I can definitely see why a desire to stop 10IAR could help with the staunchness levels. However, it’s not so long ago that Moonbeams was forced to sell to Craig Whyte because no one else would step up, and then they got rinsed by Charles Green. If I know anything about rich people, they don’t like throwing money away.
    The can't I've heard us that when Murray was selling, even for a pound, that there were a lot who were apparently in the know about the finances and didn't want to invest/buy at that time. They seem happy to chuck their money in now though and I think it's about control. King is not the guy in charge, Park and that other dude are the main players and will end up with most of the shareholding

Seems like no dip in form can ever be without an associated bust up or meltdown these days.
    To be fair every dip in form we had when he was our manager was accompanied with a meltdown so the story is not without potential.

How much debt are they actually in?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    How much debt are they actually in?
    They have total liabilities of £87m

If Celtic win their two games in hand there is only 5 points in this and it is far too early to predict which way the league will go this season. There are a lot of unpredictable elements in play, covid a huge risk to any player or squad never mind teams like us or Aberdeen taking points off either of them. And Gerrard will be away in 2021 if he wins it or before his reputation is tarnished as soon as a decent level english club come calling. And Kent is wanted by Leeds and Morelos will be off...

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Yes. A weird obsession with blaming Kamberi, playing six defenders against Kilmarnock, bizarre team selections and substitutions, rants in the press (just after the derby at Tynecastle when he had an almighty rant was largely where it started) but in those last few months the buck started anywhere other than with himself and we were terrible on and off the pitch.
    Lennon lacked the skills to turn things around at Hibs once things started to unravel. Once McGinn and McGeouch had gone and Allan back at Celtic, Lennon failed to sign players good enough to carry on the good work of the previous season. Then he couldn’t handle the pressure or be tactically astute enough to make the most of what he had. I suspect the full story of life at Hibs that last season will emerge in time and it won’t portray Lennon in a great light.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Lennon lacked the skills to turn things around at Hibs once things started to unravel. Once McGinn and McGeouch had gone and Allan back at Celtic, Lennon failed to sign players good enough to carry on the good work of the previous season. Then he couldn’t handle the pressure or be tactically astute enough to make the most of what he had. I suspect the full story of life at Hibs that last season will emerge in time and it won’t portray Lennon in a great light.
    There have been little hints of what he was like with Hanlon, I think, saying he didn't really do tactics. That clearly showed. I saw another poster here say that Lennon buys players and then tries to find a role for them. That is exactly what he was like with us and it must have cost us a few bob and he has done the same at Celtc.
    The signs of pressure with Lennon are blaming players on camera and accusing them of being unprofessional or lazy and then starting to mix and match his team hoping to find a formation that works. He also has a thing about strikers imo and it worked for us on Saturday as he left his best two on the bench. Celtc have no chance with him at the helm and a decent The Rangers team. Gerrard has a style of play, two players for each position and a team that all know their roles and responsibilities and buy into it. Look at the way the Celtc players chased Nisbets penalty in for a little insight into their drive and commitment. He also also started to look disinterested on the side line, that was the case at Hibs too in the later stages. He is a manager that does ok with someone else's team who are already a decent outfit. A few loses though and the toys are out the pram and he is looking around for someone to blame.

A Dundee supporting friend has also heard about Strachan. Think he’s been advising McPake there IIRC.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    A Dundee supporting friend has also heard about Strachan. Think he’s been advising McPake there IIRC.
    I almost think they’d be better keeping Neil Lennon. And that’s saying something.

Eddie Howe or Marcos Silva would be the obvious choices to me. They would maybe even think about gambling and going for Maloney.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 23-11-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    There have been little hints of what he was like with Hanlon, I think, saying he didn't really do tactics. That clearly showed. I saw another poster here say that Lennon buys players and then tries to find a role for them. That is exactly what he was like with us and it must have cost us a few bob and he has done the same at Celtc.
    The signs of pressure with Lennon are blaming players on camera and accusing them of being unprofessional or lazy and then starting to mix and match his team hoping to find a formation that works. He also has a thing about strikers imo and it worked for us on Saturday as he left his best two on the bench. Celtc have no chance with him at the helm and a decent The Rangers team. Gerrard has a style of play, two players for each position and a team that all know their roles and responsibilities and buy into it. Look at the way the Celtc players chased Nisbets penalty in for a little insight into their drive and commitment. He also also started to look disinterested on the side line, that was the case at Hibs too in the later stages. He is a manager that does ok with someone else's team who are already a decent outfit. A few loses though and the toys are out the pram and he is looking around for someone to blame.
    Good summary. I don't disagree with any of that.

I just feel he cant handle any period of negativity and basically cannot accept responsibility for poor performances

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    They should sign Gazebo.
    That would be a marquee signing!

Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    Certainly a statement of in-tent.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Certainly a statement of in-tent.
    Scouting continuing in Eastern Europe as Lennon struggles to get the two Poles in.

Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    Big ideas but I reckon they need taken down a peg or two.

It feels like deja vu a little but with Celtic instead of ourselves here. After what was a good lift and fairly successful start to life at the club, any real work laid down by the predecessors is now so far in the rear view mirror you can't remember what it looked like and he's now struggling to find his own identity and plan something coherent to meet the standards set by his predecessor and the earlier stages of his reign.

Lennon was not, never was, and never will be the manager that many people believed so passionately that he was when we were getting rid of him. He is, to his credit, a passionate man that can be brilliant at getting people fired up for very specific situations, but it exhausts an awful lot of energy from them as well as people working around him. If I could pay him a compliment its that he shares a lot of similarities with someone like Jose Mourinho in that there is a shelf life to the performances he can draw out of people before he eventually flicks the wrong switch with someone and the whole fusebox blows out in his face.

Lennon is a dead man walking at Celtic and he will not turn the situation around unless Gerrard leaves or absolutely bottles this beyond belief. The longer Lawwell leaves the situation as it is the harder a job the man replacing him will have to rescue 10IAR. But for what it's worth they'd be as well trying to let him turn it around than get someone like Gordon Strachan in.

This will be Lennon's last season as not just Celtic manager, but maybe even as a manager in general.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Celtic made the classic mistake of getting Lennon in as a short term fix and lazily keeping him on for two more seasons. His time was up in May 2019 and he is still there.

Absolutely the fault of the board. His has run out of bluster and his signings are poor. Very similar to Hibs. If this continues I expect the situation to quickly deteriorate significantly. He has lost the fans already.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    It feels like deja vu a little but with Celtic instead of ourselves here. After what was a good lift and fairly successful start to life at the club, any real work laid down by the predecessors is now so far in the rear view mirror you can't remember what it looked like and he's now struggling to find his own identity and plan something coherent to meet the standards set by his predecessor and the earlier stages of his reign.

Lennon was not, never was, and never will be the manager that many people believed so passionately that he was when we were getting rid of him. He is, to his credit, a passionate man that can be brilliant at getting people fired up for very specific situations, but it exhausts an awful lot of energy from them as well as people working around him. If I could pay him a compliment its that he shares a lot of similarities with someone like Jose Mourinho in that there is a shelf life to the performances he can draw out of people before he eventually flicks the wrong switch with someone and the whole fusebox blows out in his face.

Lennon is a dead man walking at Celtic and he will not turn the situation around unless Gerrard leaves or absolutely bottles this beyond belief. The longer Lawwell leaves the situation as it is the harder a job the man replacing him will have to rescue 10IAR. But for what it's worth they'd be as well trying to let him turn it around than get someone like Gordon Strachan in.

This will be Lennon's last season as not just Celtic manager, but maybe even as a manager in general.
    Celtic should get Yogi Hughes in for the rest of the season. Would be an upgrade on Lennon.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    No Hibs manager has been able to replace McGinn/McGeough since they left.

Lennon did bring in Omeonga, who loads of folk liked and wanted to keep.

I was glad to see him go in the end, and think he should be sacked at Celtc, but I would defend his signings at Hibs.

Marciano, Ambrose, Mallan, Simon Murray did well, Swanson looked like he should be a good signing at the time. Kamberi, MacLaren, he brought Allan back, Bogdan, Milligan was a decent player who a lot of folk would have liked us to keep. Horgan, Holt.

I wouldn’t judge him too harshly on failing to replace 2 players who were still trying to replace. It’s not easy to do it. Lennon signed a lot of good players, that wasn’t the problem with Neil Lennon.