hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 2217

Thread: Neil Lennon

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,548

    Neil Lennon

    Once again he fails when really tested. The born winner stuff is really starting to fade.

    And of course its all the players fault. He leaves two expensive strikers on the bench and puts Christie up front but takes none of the blame. Its like Tynecastle all over again.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Old Codger Hibstorian Jonnyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    68
    Posts
    32,216
    From the BBC interview with Lennon after the game

    "I'll have to carry the can, and take the responsibility for it."

    Not his usual response, as you suggest. Normally happy to point the finger at his players
    This is how it feels

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the BBC interview with Lennon after the game

    "I'll have to carry the can, and take the responsibility for it."

    Not his usual response, as you suggest. Normally happy to point the finger at his players
    He did add this as well;

    Asked what message he would give to his players, Lennon added: "Get your mentality right, get your attitude right. If some of you don't want to be here, leave."

    Asked if his impression was some players don't want to be at the club, he responded: "In some cases."

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    14,869
    I'm not sure there will even be a discussion about his future at Celtic, when there certainly should be. They are regularly knocked out of Europe by clubs with a small fraction of their budget. Big clubs must take tough decisions. They don't seem to be moving forward.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,015
    Celtic & Lawell are settling for second best and canít match Lennons ambitions, or something...

  7. #6
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure there will even be a discussion about his future at Celtic, when there certainly should be. They are regularly knocked out of Europe by clubs with a small fraction of their budget. Big clubs must take tough decisions. They don't seem to be moving forward.
    Very literally moved backwards to hire him in the first place I suppose.

    I could see somebody like Eddie Howe doing well in the Celtic job and using it as a springboard, much like Rodgers did.

  8. #7
    He was the cheap and easy option for Celtic there fans must be raging.. more than fair chance heíll blow 10 in a row as well..

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,497
    I liked him at Hibs. Didnít end well but neither do any of them, not one.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    14,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked him at Hibs. Didnít end well but neither do any of them, not one.
    I did too. Overall he did a good job for us, and he won Celtic another treble last season. However, his European record there is very poor. I suppose it comes down to the expectations of the Celtic board.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  11. #10
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was the cheap and easy option for Celtic there fans must be raging.. more than fair chance heíll blow 10 in a row as well..
    Their fans focus is entirely 10 in a row. If Lennon does it there will be a statue of him outside Parkheid. Nothing else matters to their fans.

  12. #11
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    14,155
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their fans focus is entirely 10 in a row. If Lennon does it there will be a statue of him outside Parkheid. Nothing else matters to their fans.
    They don't take meek Champions League exits lightly though.

    That's a lot of money that could be put to use that they're missing out on.

    They're not a happy bunch.

  13. #12
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did too. Overall he did a good job for us, and he won Celtic another treble last season. However, his European record there is very poor. I suppose it comes down to the expectations of the Celtic board.
    Yep, I struggle to understand how some Hibs fans continually have a go at him. As you say he did a good job for us. Every chance we could have stagnated in the Championship for another year or two if we didn't recruit him. No time for Celtic but Lennon was a successful Hibs HC and for me it was mostly happy times when he was with us

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Fife
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,852
    All he had to do at Tynecastle was stick with the team that were 13 unbeaten. I still don't understand.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, I struggle to understand how some Hibs fans continually have a go at him. As you say he did a good job for us. Every chance we could have stagnated in the Championship for another year or two if we didn't recruit him. No time for Celtic but Lennon was a successful Hibs HC and for me it was mostly happy times when he was with us
    I'd say pretty much zero chance we stayed in the championship without him.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    18,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked him at Hibs. Didnít end well but neither do any of them, not one.

    Me as well, despite the fact that the manner of his departure was particularly disappointing (and the way in which he then pitched so quickly at Celtc... letís just say, he made himself available at the right time for himself).

    Anyhow, is Edouard genuinely injured or is there a suggestion he is working his ticket? Canít believe Lennon didnít start with a striker tonight for tactical reasons, looks like another clumsy attempt to Ďsend the board a messageí.

    All not well at Celtc Park just now.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,818
    Seems to me he has reverted to his sort of favoured "it's their fault not mine" stance. If so they could be kissing goodbye to 10 IAR if he alienates this particular group of players? Not a mind reader myself, just recalling things said in the past by him.

  18. #17
    Left by mutual consent! Lex7zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, I struggle to understand how some Hibs fans continually have a go at him. As you say he did a good job for us. Every chance we could have stagnated in the Championship for another year or two if we didn't recruit him. No time for Celtic but Lennon was a successful Hibs HC and for me it was mostly happy times when he was with us
    I am in the camp that wanted Lennon in and thought he did a decent job for the majority of the time he was here. But I struggle to understand Hibs supporters that did not see the collapse in terms of behaviours and results.
    He had to go as he became a liability as he lost the plot and we went on a run of losing just about every game. Lennon was not a success overall if you open your eyes and look at his stay from start to finish.

  19. #18
    First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex7zero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am in the camp that wanted Lennon in and thought he did a decent job for the majority of the time he was here. But I struggle to understand Hibs supporters that did not see the collapse in terms of behaviours and results.
    He had to go as he became a liability as he lost the plot and we went on a run of losing just about every game. Lennon was not a success overall if you open your eyes and look at his stay from start to finish.
    Surely no Hibs manager would be considered a success overall if you looked at their stay from start to finish? It is all relative, and compared with a lot of previous managers, I'd say Lennon was a success at Hibs.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,839
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely no Hibs manager would be considered a success overall if you looked at their stay from start to finish? It is all relative, and compared with a lot of previous managers, I'd say Lennon was a success at Hibs.
    I agree. Definitely a success overall. Won the championship (which was expected) , our highest points total in the Premiership with a chance of finishing second going into the final few games and a decent European run.

    Obviously it all fell apart towards the end and he needed to go. But overall a successful tenure for me.

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked him at Hibs. Didnít end well but neither do any of them, not one.
    Duno, that lad Stubbs did not too bad.

    Lennon was alright for Hibs. Inherited a good side. Tweeked it. Was heavily backed. Got results and then undid a lot of work in the fans eyes by blowing a derby. Better and worse Hibs managers have done the same.

    My biggest bug bear was the fact we were always just his second option til Celtic came calling again. Like the jilted lover that goes running back.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Just_Jimmy; 27-08-2020 at 01:58 AM.

  22. #21
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    267
    I think The Rangers will win the league.

    Pressure is a huge factor and Celtic will buckle

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member The 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    16,128
    When he has to think as as a football manager and not play it simple heís found out as a angry wee prick.

    I loved him at him at Hibernian until the pressure came on. Then he became a ****.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Blaxland, NSW
    Age
    63
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did too. Overall he did a good job for us, and he won Celtic another treble last season. However, his European record there is very poor. I suppose it comes down to the expectations of the Celtic board.
    No treble yet, I am pretty sure we have semi against Hearts on the horizon.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think The Rangers will win the league.

    Pressure is a huge factor and Celtic will buckle
    I donít see that at all. Last two seasons Rangers have crumbled in the second half of the season and Celtic have went on strong. Nothing about Rangers or Gerrard as a manager would say this season will be any different.

    Celtic and Lennon will get their beloved ten and then the rest of the country will have to hear about it constantly. Over and over again.

  26. #25
    Lennon never recovered from the tactical shambles that was Tynecastle 2018. Toys out the pram blaming everyone but himself and threatening to walk. Prick.

  27. #26
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,462
    Looking over at the Celtic forums theyíre largely all saying what a few of us who saw through him early took a lot of stick for when he was here.

    Tactically inept when his plan A doesnít work, odd signings and shifts the blame wherever possible. A fair few want him gone.

    If Sevco are within striking distance of the league with two or three months to go then I really fear that heíll crumble.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, I struggle to understand how some Hibs fans continually have a go at him. As you say he did a good job for us. Every chance we could have stagnated in the Championship for another year or two if we didn't recruit him. No time for Celtic but Lennon was a successful Hibs HC and for me it was mostly happy times when he was with us
    Just talking about the championship season, Lennon got us promoted and deserves credit for that. However we didnít improve any, we finished with 1 point extra in a league without Rangers in it.

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    sunny leith
    Age
    53
    Posts
    8,307
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their fans focus is entirely 10 in a row. If Lennon does it there will be a statue of him outside Parkheid. Nothing else matters to their fans.
    You must be joking. They are going ballistic all over social media.

  30. #29
    Some of Lennon's time at Hibs was fantastic to watch

    But you just dont go missing from your job, hiding for 5 days, after a derby defeat, blaming mcgeough ("I dropped Dylan because he told me he wants to leave") when all you needed to do was pick the same team who'd steamrollered their way to 13 unbeaten games on the spin.

    That 5 days of anti-social distancing revealed a lot about Lennon, as a manager, I thought

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,680
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of Lennon's time at Hibs was fantastic to watch

    But you just dont go missing from your job, hiding for 5 days, after a derby defeat, blaming mcgeough ("I dropped Dylan because he told me he wants to leave") when all you needed to do was pick the same team who'd steamrollered their way to 13 unbeaten games on the spin.

    That 5 days of anti-social distancing revealed a lot about Lennon, as a manager, I thought
    That he has issues with his mental health and occasionally needs support?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)