hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Lennon

@hibs.net private member

Neil Lennon

Once again he fails when really tested. The born winner stuff is really starting to fade.

And of course its all the players fault. He leaves two expensive strikers on the bench and puts Christie up front but takes none of the blame. Its like Tynecastle all over again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

From the BBC interview with Lennon after the game

"I'll have to carry the can, and take the responsibility for it."

Not his usual response, as you suggest. Normally happy to point the finger at his players
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the BBC interview with Lennon after the game

"I'll have to carry the can, and take the responsibility for it."

Not his usual response, as you suggest. Normally happy to point the finger at his players
    He did add this as well;

Asked what message he would give to his players, Lennon added: "Get your mentality right, get your attitude right. If some of you don't want to be here, leave."

Asked if his impression was some players don't want to be at the club, he responded: "In some cases."

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I'm not sure there will even be a discussion about his future at Celtic, when there certainly should be. They are regularly knocked out of Europe by clubs with a small fraction of their budget. Big clubs must take tough decisions. They don't seem to be moving forward.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Celtic & Lawell are settling for second best and can’t match Lennons ambitions, or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I'm not sure there will even be a discussion about his future at Celtic, when there certainly should be. They are regularly knocked out of Europe by clubs with a small fraction of their budget. Big clubs must take tough decisions. They don't seem to be moving forward.
    Very literally moved backwards to hire him in the first place I suppose.

I could see somebody like Eddie Howe doing well in the Celtic job and using it as a springboard, much like Rodgers did.

He was the cheap and easy option for Celtic there fans must be raging.. more than fair chance he’ll blow 10 in a row as well..

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I liked him at Hibs. Didn’t end well but neither do any of them, not one.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I did too. Overall he did a good job for us, and he won Celtic another treble last season. However, his European record there is very poor. I suppose it comes down to the expectations of the Celtic board.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    He was the cheap and easy option for Celtic there fans must be raging.. more than fair chance he’ll blow 10 in a row as well..
    Their fans focus is entirely 10 in a row. If Lennon does it there will be a statue of him outside Parkheid. Nothing else matters to their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Their fans focus is entirely 10 in a row. If Lennon does it there will be a statue of him outside Parkheid. Nothing else matters to their fans.
    They don't take meek Champions League exits lightly though.

That's a lot of money that could be put to use that they're missing out on.

They're not a happy bunch.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    I did too. Overall he did a good job for us, and he won Celtic another treble last season. However, his European record there is very poor. I suppose it comes down to the expectations of the Celtic board.
    Yep, I struggle to understand how some Hibs fans continually have a go at him. As you say he did a good job for us. Every chance we could have stagnated in the Championship for another year or two if we didn't recruit him. No time for Celtic but Lennon was a successful Hibs HC and for me it was mostly happy times when he was with us

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    All he had to do at Tynecastle was stick with the team that were 13 unbeaten. I still don't understand.

Yep, I struggle to understand how some Hibs fans continually have a go at him. As you say he did a good job for us. Every chance we could have stagnated in the Championship for another year or two if we didn't recruit him. No time for Celtic but Lennon was a successful Hibs HC and for me it was mostly happy times when he was with us
    I'd say pretty much zero chance we stayed in the championship without him.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Me as well, despite the fact that the manner of his departure was particularly disappointing (and the way in which he then pitched so quickly at Celtc... let’s just say, he made himself available at the right time for himself).

Anyhow, is Edouard genuinely injured or is there a suggestion he is working his ticket? Can’t believe Lennon didn’t start with a striker tonight for tactical reasons, looks like another clumsy attempt to ‘send the board a message’.

All not well at Celtc Park just now.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Seems to me he has reverted to his sort of favoured "it's their fault not mine" stance. If so they could be kissing goodbye to 10 IAR if he alienates this particular group of players? Not a mind reader myself, just recalling things said in the past by him.

Left by mutual consent! Lex7zero's Avatar
    I am in the camp that wanted Lennon in and thought he did a decent job for the majority of the time he was here. But I struggle to understand Hibs supporters that did not see the collapse in terms of behaviours and results.
    He had to go as he became a liability as he lost the plot and we went on a run of losing just about every game. Lennon was not a success overall if you open your eyes and look at his stay from start to finish.

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex7zero View Post
    I am in the camp that wanted Lennon in and thought he did a decent job for the majority of the time he was here. But I struggle to understand Hibs supporters that did not see the collapse in terms of behaviours and results.
    He had to go as he became a liability as he lost the plot and we went on a run of losing just about every game. Lennon was not a success overall if you open your eyes and look at his stay from start to finish.
    Surely no Hibs manager would be considered a success overall if you looked at their stay from start to finish? It is all relative, and compared with a lot of previous managers, I'd say Lennon was a success at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    Surely no Hibs manager would be considered a success overall if you looked at their stay from start to finish? It is all relative, and compared with a lot of previous managers, I'd say Lennon was a success at Hibs.
    I agree. Definitely a success overall. Won the championship (which was expected) , our highest points total in the Premiership with a chance of finishing second going into the final few games and a decent European run.

Obviously it all fell apart towards the end and he needed to go. But overall a successful tenure for me.

Duno, that lad Stubbs did not too bad.

Lennon was alright for Hibs. Inherited a good side. Tweeked it. Was heavily backed. Got results and then undid a lot of work in the fans eyes by blowing a derby. Better and worse Hibs managers have done the same.

My biggest bug bear was the fact we were always just his second option til Celtic came calling again. Like the jilted lover that goes running back.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Just_Jimmy; 27-08-2020 at 01:58 AM.

I think The Rangers will win the league.

Pressure is a huge factor and Celtic will buckle

Left by mutual consent!
    When he has to think as as a football manager and not play it simple he’s found out as a angry wee prick.

I loved him at him at Hibernian until the pressure came on. Then he became a ****.

@hibs.net private member
    No treble yet, I am pretty sure we have semi against Hearts on the horizon.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    I think The Rangers will win the league.

Pressure is a huge factor and Celtic will buckle
    I don’t see that at all. Last two seasons Rangers have crumbled in the second half of the season and Celtic have went on strong. Nothing about Rangers or Gerrard as a manager would say this season will be any different.

Celtic and Lennon will get their beloved ten and then the rest of the country will have to hear about it constantly. Over and over again.

Lennon never recovered from the tactical shambles that was Tynecastle 2018. Toys out the pram blaming everyone but himself and threatening to walk. Prick.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Looking over at the Celtic forums they’re largely all saying what a few of us who saw through him early took a lot of stick for when he was here.

Tactically inept when his plan A doesn’t work, odd signings and shifts the blame wherever possible. A fair few want him gone.

If Sevco are within striking distance of the league with two or three months to go then I really fear that he’ll crumble.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Just talking about the championship season, Lennon got us promoted and deserves credit for that. However we didn’t improve any, we finished with 1 point extra in a league without Rangers in it.

You must be joking. They are going ballistic all over social media.

Some of Lennon's time at Hibs was fantastic to watch

But you just dont go missing from your job, hiding for 5 days, after a derby defeat, blaming mcgeough ("I dropped Dylan because he told me he wants to leave") when all you needed to do was pick the same team who'd steamrollered their way to 13 unbeaten games on the spin.

That 5 days of anti-social distancing revealed a lot about Lennon, as a manager, I thought

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Some of Lennon's time at Hibs was fantastic to watch

But you just dont go missing from your job, hiding for 5 days, after a derby defeat, blaming mcgeough ("I dropped Dylan because he told me he wants to leave") when all you needed to do was pick the same team who'd steamrollered their way to 13 unbeaten games on the spin.

That 5 days of anti-social distancing revealed a lot about Lennon, as a manager, I thought
    That he has issues with his mental health and occasionally needs support?