hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 1620 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am sorry but he got it wrong answering it the way he did. It was always going to provoke a reaction from the clubs involved. I am not concerned with NL having a go but how do we know it wasn’t in the back of Aberdeen’s mind when they decided to gazump us on the McCrorie deal? And of course people from non affected clubs would say yes let’s deduct points from them. Would you still be up for points deductions if for some reason one of our players was to commit a similar discretion?
    He answered the question.Why should he care what Celtic and Aberdeen think?Are people in football to be censored in case someone disagrees with them.I don’t think Aberdeen base their transfer policy on another club’s owner being quoted on something.If points deduction became the rule I would be very annoyed if we suffered it(but not with the rule).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Unsurprising. I tend to avoid the msm. Ron should just stick to Hibs TV.
    He did.

Quote Originally Posted by proud_and_green View Post
    I think this Celtic blog sums it up for me.

https://thecelticblog.com/2020/08/bl...d-controversy/
    Good summary of the situation. Our manager clearly gets irked by the constant loaded questions he gets. It’s getting tedious now. The same with Mcrorie. The dons made a huge thing of beating us to Dylan and Ono. Time has shown that they headlines weren’t merited as in this case. Such ridiculous journalism. Par for the course these days.

Quote Originally Posted by #2 Double Tap View Post
    'There is no such thing as bad publicity';

is the notion that all mentions in the media aid a person's cause, even if they put them in a bad light.
    Michael O'Leary is the perfect example of that

On this occasion Ron quite simply got it wrong I am afraid.
    Experienced business man that he undoubtedly is he should have recognised a loaded question when it was put to him.
    There was nothing wrong with how Ron answered the question. The press have twisted it to generate a story which is what they have to do to keep themselves relevant.

Hibs TV shouldn't be asking loaded questions.

Some people complain that RG isn't visible enough. Look what happens when he does give an interview, the media twist it for their own ends and blow it up out of proportion. 😂

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    On this occasion Ron quite simply got it wrong I am afraid.
    Experienced business man that he undoubtedly is he should have recognised a loaded question when it was put to him.
    He didn’t get it wrong. One person got it wrong and that was Lennon who compared players breaching rules and getting league games suspended to test results not clearing in time to play a pre season friendly. There is no comparison here.

My My what is that last line all about!
    I am not having a go at Ron, merely suggesting my surprise that he was naive in responding to a loaded question in the way that he did. I think you need to go and have a lie down somewhere.
    He wasnt. I can only assume you havent watched it either. Have you?

It's football. Press take something and make it into a story.
    Then push the buttons of people they know they'll get a rise out of / good quote from.
    Like NL.

Getting upset by it is pointless - it's banter.
    Not unlike the folk who ride a player about his personal life / weight / rumoured sexual predilections from the terracing for most of a
    game and then want the Police to arrest the player when he flicks the V's at them as he's subbed.

As for points deductions - not a fan in this situation.
    Unless you have an enforced bubble players will misbehave and it'll be a mockery of a league campaign if it finishes with points deductions everywhere.
    Imagine being where we're at now near the end of the season and dropping down the league because a couple of players act like inconsiderate douches?

I'm not belittling the health aspect btw but it's got **** all to do with football league positions.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_and_green View Post
    I think this Celtic blog sums it up for me.

https://thecelticblog.com/2020/08/bl...d-controversy/

Yeah fair enough.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    I see the Sun is picking up on this now, with Derek McWinless also slating Ron.

Testimonial Due
    Don't think the press or media have ever tried to drum a story before!!!!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Budge answers a question from the media, she’s a visionary. Ron Gordon answers one, he’s vilified. For what it’s worth I totally agree that a points deduction is something that should be considered.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He didn’t get it wrong. One person got it wrong and that was Lennon who compared players breaching rules and getting league games suspended to test results not clearing in time to play a pre season friendly. There is no comparison here.
    Funny how another team from Glasgow played a friendly against Dundee United without even having test results. No punishment or censor for them though. Press hardly comment on it either.

Surely worth a lot more criticism than a team who cancel a match as the results aren't available.

Funny that.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    Nothing but s***stirring from the media.

RG specifically made the point during his interview that these types of sanctions would need be agreed by the clubs before any of them could be applied and they have presented this to Lennon as RG calling for Celtic to be deducted points to provoke a reaction which Lennon duly obliged by talking s***
    The point that sanctions would need to be agree in advance is critical. RG was not calling for retrospective punishments that were not in the rules at the time of the offences.

The question for me is why a world-class administrator like Neil Doncaster hadn't put proposals forward about the penalties for breaching regulations. When you're putting procedures in place for Covid or anything else part of the exercise should automatically be to include appropriate punishments for infringements.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    The point that sanctions would need to be agree in advance is critical. RG was not calling for retrospective punishments that were not in the rules at the time of the offences.

The question for me is why a world-class administrator like Neil Doncaster hadn't put proposals forward about the penalties for breaching regulations. When you're putting procedures in place for Covid or anything else part of the exercise should automatically be to include appropriate punishments for infringements.
    I would guess that it’s because clubs don’t like discussing/agreeing possible punishments but only what goodies they can get.

Part of my concern here is that you can see just by looking at this thread and countless others here that every football fan has <insert colour> tinted spectacles.

Now don't get me wrong, I found it hilarious Hearts getting relegated and I also think that the decision was correct.
    Unless you restructured the league (which I think penalizes everybody with a **** set up) you either have to penalize Dundee Utd (who did the business on the park) or Hearts (who categorically didn't).

That said many on here - probably including myself - would have been raging had we been in that position as the claim would have been we had 8 matches to make up a 4 point gap.
    The fact that nobody watching (including a sizeable chunk in Gorgie) thought there was the chance of them even picking up 4 points in 8 games never mind picking up 4 more points than Hamilton is immaterial to the sense of injustice.

Now imagine how anyone would respond if we start making those kind of calls based on matters entirely unrelated to the football pitch.
    (and yes there's precedent with insolvency / admin based deductions but they are rare and to an extent brought on by the club themselves failing to correctly manage their finances rather than exerting a level of control over all their employees in extremely unusual circumstances and without any legislative framework or support).

Is it just me or is it not a bit of a coincidence that this nonstory has blown up after Boli and the Aberdeen players were ********s. Funny but I’ve only heard Mcinnes and Lennon bumping their gums over this invented story. Sounds like they are trying to deflect from their players behaviour. I know it’s tomorrow fish and chips wrapper but noticeable nonetheless. Also Mcrorie signing to appease the dons fans when the bans hit.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Ron’s intervention probably means that this issue will now get priority, which is a good thing. Personally I don’t think points deductions is the way to go but our clever chairman has brought the issue to the forefront now. This should mean more clarity for the season ahead.

I doubt hardly any of the media have listened to Ron's interview. As far as I know it is only available to season ticket holders or Hibs TV subscribers. Lennon and McInnes's responses are based on Chinese whispers.

Hibs should put the whole interview on the YouTube channel so at least any criticism is based on what he actually said rather than some member of the media's misrepresentation of it. Probably too late now though, I suppose it will die down soon enough.

I’ve always found Mcinnes to be pretty balanced and sensible enough. But I’m not sure what exactly he is unhappy about.

“It was our turn to take a bit of a kicking” seems to suggest he thinks criticism has been unfair and that others have been doing the same but not punished?

And who exactly is he calling hypocritical?

Can understand being fed up of this **** but all a bit bizarre for me. You’ve been let down by the players, as manager you are representing them in front of the cameras - apologise, take your medicine and move on. Even if not personally at fault that would be strong leadership to me.

Don’t come out calling others hypocrites, suggesting come on guys enough is enough stop battering us it will be someone else next week ach well these things happen.

Went down in my estimation when he said that and I would luv it luv it if we beat them.
    Last edited by Bobby's Cinema; 19-08-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HIbs2 View Post
    I’ve always found Mcinnes to be pretty balanced and sensible enough. But I’m not sure what exactly he is unhappy about.

“It was our turn to take a bit of a kicking” seems to suggest he thinks criticism has been unfair and that others have been doing the same but not punished?

And who exactly is he calling hypocritical?

Can understand being fed up of this **** but all a bit bizarre for me. You’ve been let down by the players, as manager you are representing them in front of the cameras - apologise, take your medicine and move on. Even if not personally at fault that would be strong leadership to me.

Don’t come out calling others hypocrites, suggesting come on guys enough is enough stop battering us it will be someone else next week ach well these things happen.

Went down in my estimation when he said that and I would luv it luv it if we beat them.
    Totally agree. Classic diversion tactics. Does Dave Cormack think any other folk in any other job wouldn’t be lucky to keep their jobs. Me thinks they protest too much. They know their season could be totally screwed by this and are lashing out. Very undignified.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    He didn't get it wrong though. He gave an honest answer most folk not from the affected teams genetally agree with.
    I don't think he got it wrong either. Quite the contrary.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk