hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scott Allan- A formation that suits.

The conundrum that JR has is how do you find the best shape to suit your mercurial talent that is Allan without sacrificing other areas. I am aware it has to be dependent on the strengths of the opposition, player availability and current form etc etc. however opinions of supporters vary. My personal thoughts are that his favoured role is behind a striker in a 4-2-3-1 or at the tip of the diamond in a 4-4-2. The first shape would leave Ross playing 1 striker which I am not sure is his preference or supporters choice having invested in both Nisbet & Doidge. The 2nd shape allows both strikers to play, gives us strong foothold in the centre of midfield, however takes out the natural strengths of Boyle and Horgan with the width coming from the full backs. I wondered what other folks take on this is or am I missing something?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    I think the best he’s played is in a 352 just behind the strikers with two sitting behind

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the best he’s played is in a 352 just behind the strikers with two sitting behind
    Agreed, would like to see Hallberg and Gogic behind him, Boyle n Horgan on outside.

@hibs.net private member
    Rocky

Mcginn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Gogic
    Newell (potentially McCrorie)
    Allan
    Doig

Nisbet
    Doidge

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Definitely in the hole behind Doidge and Nisbet and having a pop himself

This is his third spell at the club scoring 16 goals from 99 appearances

Does not seem to be as influential as in his first two spells starting in 2014 but still only 28 needs to kick on this season and get back to his usual high standards

He will know that himself and be looking to be a starter

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    3-5-2 is the way to go.

A back 3 of McGinn - Porteous - Hanlon with Boyle wide right and Doig wide left.

Gogic and Newall/Halberg sitting

Allan in the hole

Doidge and Nisbit up front.

Anyone who doesn’t think that’s the way to go needs to watch the games we played in the latter half of our first season back in the top flight. We were scintillating, possibly one of the most exciting teams to watch in my lifetime watching Hibs.

He’s the most talented player at the club but does need to be played in his best position.. for the benefit of the club I hope jack Ross recognises this soon..

My concern with 3 at the back is that most teams deploy a back 4 with 1 striker which would give them an overload in wide areas both in an attacking and a defending situation. I have watched on numerous occasions teams against us have freedom to deliver crosses into our box without any pressure when we have deployed this system.It also drags Paul Hanlon into areas where he is often isolated and out paced with opposition getting in behind. My opinion is Paul is better in a central partnership with Porteous. It is also a huge ask for any wide player physically to cover the length of the pitch.
    I am not convinced practically this is a game planA we could successfully use against either of the Old Firm whilst getting the best out of what we have and making it difficult for them. I suppose time will tell.
    Last edited by The Wireless; 17-08-2020 at 07:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    It might just have to be Scott Allan to tweak his game rather than the rest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    3-5-2 is the way to go.

A back 3 of McGinn - Porteous - Hanlon with Boyle wide right and Doig wide left.

Allan in the hole

Anyone who doesn’t think that’s the way to go needs to watch the games we played in the latter half of our first season back in the top flight. We were scintillating, possibly one of the most exciting teams to watch in my lifetime watching Hibs.
    No argument from me on this comment. Maybe the shape worked better as we had better players which I suppose is relevant to any formation.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    It might just have to be Scott Allan to tweak his game rather than the rest of the team.
    I was thinking the same.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    I think it would be worth trying the diamond again, our best performances last season (away to St Johnstone, home to Aberdeen and Motherwell) came playing it.

In those games Boyle was on the right but stayed out wide, still playing like a winger, so was still looking dangerous getting on the ball with plenty space in wide areas. Just means that the left midfielder has to stay narrow and help out centrally, which suits Newell imo, giving Doig plenty space to attack into on the overlap.

Also think that Gogic would make us look even stronger using this system, as he's more suited to playing at the base than Hallberg, who was playing there last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    I think it would be worth trying the diamond again, our best performances last season (away to St Johnstone, home to Aberdeen and Motherwell) came playing it.

In those games Boyle was on the right but stayed out wide, still playing like a winger, so was still looking dangerous getting on the ball with plenty space in wide areas. Just means that the left midfielder has to stay narrow and help out centrally, which suits Newell imo, giving Doig plenty space to attack into on the overlap.

Also think that Gogic would make us look even stronger using this system, as he's more suited to playing at the base than Hallberg, who was playing there last season.
    Good call based on Saturday. Maybe as wide as Craigentinny Avenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post

Yeah I Agree with this. It was really effective in the home game against Aberdeen. Id like to see us try this with Gogic the destroyer at the base which will hopefully free up and utilise arguably our best player Allan in his natural position.

Coaching Staff
    3-5-2 is the way to go.

Allan in the hole

This helps both Allan and Newell. I think Newell is pretty specifically a left of a 3 midfielder. He’s not a winger and he’s not one of two in the middle.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    3-4-1-2?

_______________Marciano

______McGinn____Porteous____Hanlon

Boyle_______Gogic_______Newell_______Doig

_________________Allan

__________Nisbet________Doidge

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Pretty sure Allan has said he prefers playing deeper, not behind the strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This helps both Allan and Newell. I think Newell is pretty specifically a left of a 3 midfielder. He’s not a winger and he’s not one of two in the middle.
    Yepp, and for games where we will need to be really combative in midfield Mcrorie can step in to that role.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Yepp, and for games where we will need to be really combative in midfield Mcrorie can step in to that role.
    Doesn’t sound like McRorie is happening.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I'm coming in line with you. He can be a match winner on his day but I wouldn't expect JR to build a shape solely to accommodate him. That is building in an over dependence on a single player, no? He's a professional and as much as I usually enjoy seeing him I equally think he might have to change his game for the good of the team.

But what do I know, I'm neither player or manager just a supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Doesn’t sound like McRorie is happening.
    That’s pissed on my cornflakes this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    Pretty sure Allan has said he prefers playing deeper, not behind the strikers.
    Wasn't a number 10 as a youngster - I'd have him in the centre of midfield whether that's a deep-lying playmaker, or behind the strikers.

I don't think he's ever announced he's incapable of playing in a midfield two either but that's been decided by hibs.net as well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Scott Allan isn’t good enough to shoehorn an entire team around

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    The simple fact is he wins games and we play better when he is in the team. We should set up to accommodate him.

exactly

Maybe worth remembering that Jack Ross didn't sign Allan?

I think he is.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    Maybe worth remembering that Jack Ross didn't sign Allan?
    Yep, doesnt strike me as his kind of player. His signing of Drey Wright make me think he wants a functional midfield with the creativity out wide. Alan will have to try very hard to get him to change his preferred way of playing to accommodate him.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Yep, doesnt strike me as his kind of player. His signing of Drey Wright make me think he wants a functional midfield with the creativity out wide. Alan will have to try very hard to get him to change his preferred way of playing to accommodate him.

I’m not sure that Allan isn’t his type of player. He must have started in 90% of the matches Ross has been here for.

He had him in the team for the first game of the season. Left him out for one game and we did really well so he didn’t get back in, but he’s the first player he’s turned to when it wasn’t going well in the subsequent two games.

Still think Allan will have a big part to play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post

A few more weeks of Saturdays 442 and Ross will have to change his mind.