hibs.net Messageboard

Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2247
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just digging this thread out again. In hindsight I wonder if it should have been entitled 'What's the chances of fans going back in September 2021' because at present I suspect we might not even see full crowds back by then, which would obviously be catastrophic for clubs.

With the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics now deemed unlikely to go ahead, a lot of the year's bigger global events must be under threat again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55722542
    Except places like Abu Dhabi for the UFC etc no virus there

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just digging this thread out again. In hindsight I wonder if it should have been entitled 'What's the chances of fans going back in September 2021' because at present I suspect we might not even see full crowds back by then, which would obviously be catastrophic for clubs.

With the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics now deemed unlikely to go ahead, a lot of the year's bigger global events must be under threat again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55722542

I think we'll be back for the start of next season, but not before.

Absolutely no reason for the Euros to be cancelled. Whether there will be any fans is up in the air but worst comes to the worst they will play the games in 1 country rather than spread across Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I think we'll be back for the start of next season, but not before.
    I'm fairly certain some fans will be back by then but it's difficult to see how it will be possible for everyone to be back by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Except places like Abu Dhabi for the UFC etc no virus there
    They said there was no virus in Dubai. Then Celtc went there!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Absolutely no reason for the Euros to be cancelled. Whether there will be any fans is up in the air but worst comes to the worst they will play the games in 1 country rather than spread across Europe.
    I guess that might be a slightly less risky than the multiple-city tournament it currently aims to be, but it would still involve multiple squads from all around Europe flying to whatever nation was accorded host status. Still strikes me as foolhardy if you bear in mind the flak Celtic have taken. June might seem a good way off, but we're already heading towards the end of January and we know through painful experience that, even with vaccines now starting to roll out, when it comes to Covid we can't really make accurate predictions from one month to the next. At this stage I imagine they'd see a fan-free tournament as their 'best worst-case scenario'.

I remember back in February that I was 99 per cent certain I had it. I said that 3 times I had been told to get tested but each time the health board had phoned to say it was fine didnt need to. I showed my sickline which claimed Febrile illness.
    What I remember most are the keyboard scientists on here who shot me down, demanded I give proof, basically called me a liar and attention seeker.
    I am still suffering effects nearly a year later. To those who supported me, thank you from the bottom of my heart, to the doubters, mibbe even bulliers? **** off

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I guess that might be a slightly less risky than the multiple-city tournament it currently aims to be, but it would still involve multiple squads from all around Europe flying to whatever nation was accorded host status. Still strikes me as foolhardy if you bear in mind the flak Celtic have taken. June might seem a good way off, but we're already heading towards the end of January and we know through painful experience that, even with vaccines now starting to roll out, when it comes to Covid we can't really make accurate predictions from one month to the next. At this stage I imagine they'd see a fan-free tournament as their 'best worst-case scenario'.
    What makes you think the Euros would not go ahead when the Champions League and Europa League are going ahead? Those tournaments involve more teams, more travelling, more cities and at a time when the virus prevalence is very high and the vaccine rollout only started.

What is your reasoning behind them going ahead but thinking they'll cancel the Euros?

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    I remember back in February that I was 99 per cent certain I had it. I said that 3 times I had been told to get tested but each time the health board had phoned to say it was fine didnt need to. I showed my sickline which claimed Febrile illness.
    What I remember most are the keyboard scientists on here who shot me down, demanded I give proof, basically called me a liar and attention seeker.
    I am still suffering effects nearly a year later. To those who supported me, thank you from the bottom of my heart, to the doubters, mibbe even bulliers? **** off

I remember that what you said you had the covid and you got shot down. I had it back in March and still feel the effects now with my breathing but let’s hope this vaccine works as if it doesn’t then we are in total dogs poo.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post

Yes a basic behaviour of humanity is to treat everybody with dignity and respect. We should all work on that here.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    What makes you think the Euros would not go ahead when the Champions League and Europa League are going ahead? Those tournaments involve more teams, more travelling, more cities and at a time when the virus prevalence is very high and the vaccine rollout only started.

What is your reasoning behind them going ahead but thinking they'll cancel the Euros?
    Just my opinion but I don't think those events should be going ahead either. I'm surprised the Six Nations is being held this year, while the situation with the Australian Open tennis is a farce. It just seems to me that sports events which involve the sort of resources required to get elite competitors transported safely around the world should be on hold just now and we should be sticking to domestic events only. Even those seem a bit artificial without fans and I don't imagine I'm the only one feeling a lot less invested in the current football season than I would usually be.

I get that broadcasting revenune plays a big part in all this, but these are awful, unprecedented times and sport just doesn't strike me as a priority.

Just my opinion but I don't think those events should be going ahead either. I'm surprised the Six Nations is being held this year, while the situation with the Australian Open tennis is a farce. It just seems to me that sports events which involve the sort of resources required to get elite competitors transported safely around the world should be on hold just now and we should be sticking to domestic events only. Even those seem a bit artificial without fans and I don't imagine I'm the only one feeling a lot less invested in the current football season than I would usually be.

I get that broadcasting revenune plays a big part in all this, but these are awful, unprecedented times and sport just doesn't strike me as a priority.
    Whether they should be taking place or not is a different arguement to if they will. I'd be shocked if the Euro's dont go ahead.

It also gives people something to look forward to later on in the year which isn't a bad thing at the current time.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 20-01-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'm fairly certain some fans will be back by then but it's difficult to see how it will be possible for everyone to be back by then.

Yeah, that's probably right.

Testimonial Due
    Reading between the lines on all elite sports, it appears that they are all running scared of the big picture!
    The rugby they say that France V Italy will go ahead, but not sure about the rest of their ties?
    Champions League may have to postpone the restart due to covid, same for Europa League!
    Motor racing, the first two F1 race meetings called of early!
    Tennis is in the same way, players arrive in Austrailia only to find that their bubble is confined to their hotel room!!!
    I know some fixtures have had fans in already, but with these new strains of covid, I think common sense will prevail, keeping fans away as long as possible until everyone is vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Reading between the lines on all elite sports, it appears that they are all running scared of the big picture!
    The rugby they say that France V Italy will go ahead, but not sure about the rest of their ties?
    Champions League may have to postpone the restart due to covid, same for Europa League!
    Motor racing, the first two F1 race meetings called of early!
    Tennis is in the same way, players arrive in Austrailia only to find that their bubble is confined to their hotel room!!!
    I know some fixtures have had fans in already, but with these new strains of covid, I think common sense will prevail, keeping fans away as long as possible until everyone is vaccinated.
    I just do not understand the argument for continuing with elite sport while thousands are dieing in the country each week. We are not back to normal life - nowhere near it.

If there are no spectators then who is it for - a few tennis players and footballers? Why should they be allowed to trade if my gym can't? Why is allowing a few people to play rugby more important than people being able to open their hairdressers?

There was a tenuous argument that allowing elite sport was to lift the spirit of the nation - I don't know anyone whos spirits are being lifted by hearing millionaire tennis players complain about having to stay in their hotel room for a few days, or by allowing Celtic to spend £250k on a training trip while other clubs are pleading poverty.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I just do not understand the argument for continuing with elite sport while thousands are dieing in the country each week. We are not back to normal life - nowhere near it.

If there are no spectators then who is it for - a few tennis players and footballers? Why should they be allowed to trade if my gym can't? Why is allowing a few people to play rugby more important than people being able to open their hairdressers?

There was a tenuous argument that allowing elite sport was to lift the spirit of the nation - I don't know anyone whos spirits are being lifted by hearing millionaire tennis players complain about having to stay in their hotel room for a few days, or by allowing Celtic to spend £250k on a training trip while other clubs are pleading poverty.
    Will cancelling elite sport have an effect on the amount of people dying each week? I for one am really happy to see the football continue. I remember the first lockdown, it was torture and if the weather hadn’t been good I’d have tearing my hair out. It’s cold and grim at this time of year, having the football to look forward to is something I’m thankful for. I think for many who aren’t really enjoying watching the football from home it seems pointless in continuing with it, but I’d imagine the majority don’t want to see it stopped.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Will cancelling elite sport have an effect on the amount of people dying each week? I for one am really happy to see the football continue. I remember the first lockdown, it was torture and if the weather hadn’t been good I’d have tearing my hair out. It’s cold and grim at this time of year, having the football to look forward to is something I’m thankful for. I think for many who aren’t really enjoying watching the football from home it seems pointless in continuing with it, but I’d imagine the majority don’t want to see it stopped.

Strange take on it

Exactly, trying to compare football to gyms and hairdressers is carnage. One is essentially regulated and has constant testing, the others don’t. I’d love more than anyone for the gyms to be open but it’s just not viable.

@hibs.net private member

It's a welcome distraction for large swathes of the nation and so, if it's possible to run it safely then I don't see any reason to stop it other than spite.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

Thousands have sadly died but millions have not and the vast majority are trying their best to comply with the ever-changing regulations. Following your teams results and watching them play on a Saturday is at least some relief from the boredom of lockdown and the daily bombardment of bad news from the media .

yip, there is little to look forward too at times, I do my best not to let the miserable fecks not drag me down

let you into a secret, thousands of people die every week anyway.

There are plenty of potential spectators for the televised games in any sport, although I'd agree that the definition of elite has been stretched too far.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    It's a welcome distraction for large swathes of the nation and so, if it's possible to run it safely then I don't see any reason to stop it other than spite.
    I think it is one if the things that keeps us going. Not for the whole population but a large part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    I think it is one if the things that keeps us going. Not for the whole population but a large part of it.
    It is - as long as it does no harm then I’m sure it’ll carry on.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The dalmeny View Post
    let you into a secret, thousands of people die every week anyway.
    What a crass remark - jeezo.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    As a society the majority seem fairly comfortable with lockdown and I don’t see millions pushing the narrative that we need to get back to normal.

Unless that malaise changes then we can kiss goodbye to ever going back to Easter Rd, if we still have a club.

It’s up to the population of this country what happens next when the vulnerable are vaccinated and deaths reduce by 99%.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Exactly. My take on it too. As LB said its one of the few things you can look forward to at this bleak time of the year. Also find it strange that a Hibs fan would prefer not to have their team to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    As a society the majority seem fairly comfortable with lockdown and I don’t see millions pushing the narrative that we need to get back to normal.

Unless that malaise changes then we can kiss goodbye to ever going back to Easter Rd, if we still have a club.

It’s up to the population of this country what happens next when the vulnerable are vaccinated and deaths reduce by 99%.
    Lets see how the vaccine takes off and the numbers pan out. Your last sentence is nothing more than speculation at this stage. Are you also proposing a people’s revolt?