hibs.net Messageboard

Page 36 of 75 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 2247
    I can't imagine any reason why the government would ever nationalise a football team

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This seems a little confusing.Is it being suggested that governments use tax payers money to nationalise clubs and then continue to pour money into them to run them? Or even worse somehow get local authorities to run them when they can’t even afford to repair potholes?Cheaper to give them a bale out.
    Its not my plan, so i dont know any details or practicalties.

But i assume the point is bail outs are giving money to owners and govt gets nothing back.

Taking a stake means there is an asset there, so its not just giving money away, and it would discourage owners from seeking govt help until the last possible moment.

Also, i would assume any rescue plan would have to include cuts to bring the cost base in line with the new income.

These are just my guesses.

For what its worth, i think there are far more important things for govts to do with their money than prop up a terribly run and very profligate sport. But at least with that suggestion the govt could get its money back through future sale, and also impose some overdue reform.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I can't imagine any reason why the government would ever nationalise a football team
    Indeed – we've already got a national football team and just watching one is a miserable enough experience.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Of course lives matter more than football but we really need to start living again and a big part of that is getting back to what we did before and not hiding away forever.

I’m not one of these people that refuse to wear a mask or think it’s all a conspiracy but we can’t go on like this, from a mental health point of view, to people’s livelihoods and to the national economy, we need to learn to live with this virus and mitigate the risks as much as possible, without hiding indoors all the time.

Get football stadiums open (amongst other things) but with restrictions, hand sanitiser stations, compulsory mask wearing, no away fans and a better spread of home fans across the whole ground, don’t use turnstiles and have a steward with a scanner scanning tickets going in either the normal exit or any other possible access point.

What’s the longer term plan here? Stay indoors until it passes? What if there’s never a vaccine found? I was all for the lockdown as it gave us time to organise things but it’s not practical for it to continue, even like this IMO.
    We can’t continue like this, we need a proper plan to mitigate the risk, but allow people to return to some kind of normality.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Mate, I'm not arguing with you. The thing is tho that once things opened up the virus started spreading again and numbers are going through the roof.
    I wish I had the answers and no one misses going to games more than me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    The numbers have rocketed up since the students came back. Bringing a load of youngsters into student halls was a huge mistake imo, they should’ve made all learning online for now.

United we stand here....

If fans not coming back means clubs not surviving, maybe the government can make a fund available to mothball those clubs and upkeep the venues.

Wont help jobs I know, but there will be something to come back to whenever that time is. Clubs wont go bust through upkeep costs with little or no income and developers move in.

I was thinking of the lower and non league divisions here. Premiership is a tough call for the likes of Hamilton etc...

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The numbers have rocketed up since the students came back. Bringing a load of youngsters into student halls was a huge mistake imo, they should’ve made all learning online for now.
    My daughter has just started University at Stirling. I'm worried for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    If fans not coming back means clubs not surviving, maybe the government can make a fund available to mothball those clubs and upkeep the venues.

Wont help jobs I know, but there will be something to come back to whenever that time is. Clubs wont go bust through upkeep costs with little or no income and developers move in.

I was thinking of the lower and non league divisions here. Premiership is a tough call for the likes of Hamilton etc...
    The government have just extended the business support loan scheme from 6 years to 10 years repayment at fixed rate. I suspect that is the method football will use to get through the cash flow crisis some may face.

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    My daughter has just started University at Stirling. I'm worried for her.

I think at that age she’ll be fine.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Of course lives matter more than football but we really need to start living again and a big part of that is getting back to what we did before and not hiding away forever.

I’m not one of these people that refuse to wear a mask or think it’s all a conspiracy but we can’t go on like this, from a mental health point of view, to people’s livelihoods and to the national economy, we need to learn to live with this virus and mitigate the risks as much as possible, without hiding indoors all the time.

Get football stadiums open (amongst other things) but with restrictions, hand sanitiser stations, compulsory mask wearing, no away fans and a better spread of home fans across the whole ground, don’t use turnstiles and have a steward with a scanner scanning tickets going in either the normal exit or any other possible access point.

What’s the longer term plan here? Stay indoors until it passes? What if there’s never a vaccine found? I was all for the lockdown as it gave us time to organise things but it’s not practical for it to continue, even like this IMO.
    with you on this one, I can see us getting to Easter 2021 and being little further forward than Easter 2020. The one guarantee in life is you die, it’s all about when.

im not bothered about visiting folks houses but I am bothered about not being able to do some of the stuff I enjoy. A bit of thought and common sense (dangerous I know) there’s lots of things we could be doing.
    Last edited by The dalmeny; 24-09-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Plenty fans at the Super Cup in Budapest tonight. In a country that had 951 cases yesterday. Population a bit under 10m.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Plenty fans at the Super Cup in Budapest tonight. In a country that had 951 cases yesterday. Population a bit under 10m.
    Says it all how far we are behind other European countries.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Says it all how far we are behind other European countries.
    Our ‘solution’ seems to be to hide and hope it’s disappeared when we come back out. When we realise it hasn’t, repeat. And so on.

Raman Bhardwaj from STV tweets

Would not be surprised if a club/clubs will raise the question tomo if the game should be suspended if no bailout/fans

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Raman Bhardwaj from STV tweets

Would not be surprised if a club/clubs will raise the question tomo if the game should be suspended if no bailout/fans
    Why would they do that? They‘d still need to pay everyone but would be kissing goodbye to money from broadcasters and sponsors and would also have fans demanding refunds. Football isn’t viable, long term, without fans but it’s even less viable without games!

Why would they do that? They‘d still need to pay everyone but would be kissing goodbye to money from broadcasters and sponsors and would also have fans demanding refunds. Football isn’t viable, long term, without fans but it’s even less viable without games!
    Have absolutely no idea tbh someone did ask

'How does that help? Still need to pay everyone surely?'

His response was.

'No. If SFA suspends game, contracts of players/staff etc.. also effectively suspended'

Someone goes on to ask

'So no club teams in Europe? No International games?'

And his response is

'Suspension can be applied from tier two down (ie Championship to lowest level). I’ll add and say I reckon suspension would be v unlikely if no cash injections/fans
    '

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    And what do they do with players in contact

Fans singing at the Super Cup Final. Outrageous behaviour!

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    JRG statement

CORONAVIRUS – JOINT RESPONSE GROUP
    23RD SEPTEMBER 2020

The Joint Response Group has held initial discussions on the implications for Scottish football of yesterday’s announcement that the return of supporters has been postponed and, consequently, that no further fan pilot events will be considered until the national outlook for Covid-19 improves significantly.

Significantly, the Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing, Joe FitzPatrick MSP, has confirmed to us that he has written to the UK Minister for Sport and Civil Society seeking urgent discussions regarding a package of financial recovery for sport, accessible to Scotland.

The Minister also expressed the gratitude of the Scottish Government for the efforts that Scottish football has made in playing its part in the national effort to tackle the pandemic.

The JRG would like to put on record our thanks to all clubs who have played their part by adhering to the strictest measures to combat Covid-19, despite the enormous financial toll it has inflicted on them.

The game in Scotland depends on ticket revenue far more than the vast majority of professional leagues across Europe. We usually see over five million supporters per season attending Scottish league matches - with 43% of all revenue generated via gate receipts. The prospect of that vital income being lost for the majority of the season - far less in its entirety - could be catastrophic for many of our clubs.

We are committed to working with government to avert that crisis.

Rod Petrie, Scottish FA President and chair of the JRG, said: “We understand the challenges and decisions facing the Scottish Government and society as a whole and Scottish football will continue to play its part in helping the country overcome the pandemic.

“It is also incumbent on us to safeguard the futures of our football clubs, whilst at the same time respecting and adhering to public health guidelines. We welcome the correspondence from Scottish Government to the UK Minister for Sport and Civil Society and hope for a positive outcome for the national game and Scottish sport as whole.”

Neil Doncaster, CEO of the SPFL, commented: “We are engaging with the Scottish Government to underline the existential threat to many of our clubs, and to the huge community, economic and sporting benefits they deliver, if this grave situation continues without meaningful public financial support. We therefore welcome the intervention of the Scottish Government in seeking urgent discussions with the UK Government about a package of financial recovery for Scottish sport.”
    Still no clarity on grassroots.

Testimonial Due
    Looks like no government support:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Other

We can’t continue like this, we need a proper plan to mitigate the risk, but allow people to return to some kind of normality.

Brits, along with many other nationalities, just aren’t responsible enough.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tubs View Post
    Brits, along with many other nationalities, just aren’t responsible enough.
    It's just because we love freedom too much. 😂

Almost seems too good to be true🤔. Think Viktor Orban might have something to do with those figures being so low.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Again, it’s not the Premier league that is refusing numbers into grounds, the Government have stopped this huge revenue stream for clubs therefore need to be helping out. Clubs aren’t struggling due to their own decisions, they are struggling due to a pandemic and the decisions the Government have made around that.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...hange-for-good

Love this article. Fund the grassroots.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Almost seems too good to be true🤔. Think Viktor Orban might have something to do with those figures being so low.
    They’re not low at the moment, that was a single day figure this week and fairly comparative to Scotland, roughly double but with roughly double the population. My point was more that other countries seem to be content to start getting on with getting people back in to stadiums when we want to lock everyone away again.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    Its not my plan, so i dont know any details or practicalties.

But i assume the point is bail outs are giving money to owners and govt gets nothing back.

Taking a stake means there is an asset there, so its not just giving money away, and it would discourage owners from seeking govt help until the last possible moment.

Also, i would assume any rescue plan would have to include cuts to bring the cost base in line with the new income.

These are just my guesses.

For what its worth, i think there are far more important things for govts to do with their money than prop up a terribly run and very profligate sport. But at least with that suggestion the govt could get its money back through future sale, and also impose some overdue reform.
    I don’t see this happening, and it would be a terrible idea IMO. Having a stake in a football club would very rarely lead to any return.

In your prior post to this you agree that people need to get back to some normality.

But here you think students should all learn remotely, which is very far from normal for a university experience. Not a criticism but it just shows there are no easy answers. For me peoples education should come first and football is at the back of the queue. If that means lower divisions all mothball for a year, so be it

This has me stumped aswell, why are they not doing their lessons online?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This has me stumped aswell, why are they not doing their lessons online?
    My daughter starts 1st year uni next week and is doing all her learning on line, except for 1hr per week that she's expected to attend a short lecture.