hibs.net Messageboard

Page 37 of 75 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 2247
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, it’s not the Premier league that is refusing numbers into grounds, the Government have stopped this huge revenue stream for clubs therefore need to be helping out. Clubs aren’t struggling due to their own decisions, they are struggling due to a pandemic and the decisions the Government have made around that.
    The problem is the government are piling up debt - £370 billion this year which is about 29% of the existing total. They are cutting back on support to industries that could not survive or could be moth balled. Football falls into the latter category.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Our ‘solution’ seems to be to hide and hope it’s disappeared when we come back out. When we realise it hasn’t, repeat. And so on.
    There seems no long term strategy. Most folk knew a second wave was coming yet Johnson was telling folk to get to work yet a month later they’re are told to work from home. The govt here has done a lot better but still no plan in how we will tackle the upcoming economic hardships that are here already or about to happen. Sunaks ridiculous comment that he can’t save all business shows he’s no plan whatsoever. He was still working on an autumn budget till a few days ago. It seems many political heads are well and truly stuck in the sands and no even remotely long term thinking is happening. We knew a second wave was coming but now the daily mail is saying no fans this season. It’s heart breaking watching folk losing their jobs and debts piled up. It doesn’t have to be this way imho.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 25-09-2020 at 08:20 AM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I don’t see this happening, and it would be a terrible idea IMO. Having a stake in a football club would very rarely lead to any return.
    Maybe, although share issues back to fans could work - more chance of a return than just giving out money to clubs, which would have zero return.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    There seems no long term strategy. Most folk knew a second wave was coming yet Johnson was telling folk to get to work yet a month later they’re are told to work from home. The govt here has done a lot better but still no plan in how we will tackle the upcoming economic hardships that are here already or about to happen. Sunaks ridiculous comment that he can’t save all business shows he’s no plan whatsoever. He was still working on an autumn budget till a few days ago. It seems many political heads are well and truly stuck in the sands and no even remotely long term thinking is happening. We knew a second wave was coming but now the daily mail is saying no fans this season. It’s heart breaking watching folk losing their jobs and debts piled up. It doesn’t have to be this way imho.
    I don’t want to get involved in the political side of this as such (I think Boris is a clown) but they are hindered by the fact a good percentage of our population are a-holes who think only of themselves.

There is now an "increased risk" the new Highland League season will not go ahead, as Scottish football's Joint Response Group ask all clubs if they can play without fans.

https://t.co/GRAKTGgd7n https://t.co/iMkkwO9xTf

Fans in at Hertha Berlin v Frankfurt. Doesn’t look like that many but at least they’re making a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This has me stumped aswell, why are they not doing their lessons online?
    It might have something to do with the money made from renting out to the students.I heard one saying that she was paying a lot to the university when most of her classes were online.

Fans in at Hertha Berlin v Frankfurt. Doesn’t look like that many but at least they’re making a start.
    We’re not in Germany though and their new cases are running at less than a third of ours. And with a much bigger population. They’re in a better place than us.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    We’re not in Germany though and their new cases are running at less than a third of ours. And with a much bigger population. They’re in a better place than us.
    Can someone please tell the powers that be, what needs to be done

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It might have something to do with the money made from renting out to the students.I heard one saying that she was paying a lot to the university when most of her classes were online.
    £7000 for a year at Murano the BBC said.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Can someone please tell the powers that be, what needs to be done
    Italy was the early European epicentre. They’ve recovered fantastically. You’d think it would be obvious that our politicians would be speaking to theirs. I have no idea if thats happening or not but you’d hope they would be.

What about Hungary last night? Or the fans at games in France?

Orban and Hungary are in complete denial about the situation, and I speak as someone who was in Budapest last month.

I wouldn't be paying attention to their 'official' figures either.
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 25-09-2020 at 08:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Italy was the early European epicentre. They’ve recovered fantastically. You’d think it would be obvious that our politicians would be speaking to theirs. I have no idea if thats happening or not but you’d hope they would be.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...o-deadly-virus

Suggestion by the Italian doctor seems to be a far more intrusive test and trace program based on a wider use of testing.

The article also seems to suggest that the Italian public have taken safety precautions to heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea why they’re allowing it with their current numbers. Its bizarre. The question is just because some countries are letting crowds back when their numbers are going through the roof - Hungary’s highest first wave daily change was just over 200 cases and its now just under a thousand - would you be happy if we followed suit? I don’t think now’s the time for that. Record numbers appearing every day. And I do appreciate the higher numbers seen now can at least partly be put down to increased testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...o-deadly-virus

Suggestion by the Italian doctor seems to be a far more intrusive test and trace program based on a wider use of testing.

The article also seems to suggest that the Italian public have taken safety precautions to heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Johnson seems scared to impose anything that might come close to clamping down on our Great British freedoms.

No idea why they’re allowing it with their current numbers. Its bizarre. The question is just because some countries are letting crowds back when their numbers are going through the roof - Hungary’s highest first wave daily change was just over 200 cases and its now just under a thousand - would you be happy if we followed suit? I don’t think now’s the time for that. Record numbers appearing every day. And I do appreciate the higher numbers seen now can at least partly be put down to increased testing.
    I’d be happy if we started getting people back in to grounds safely. I think it is substantially less likely to drive infection than some of the other things that are being allowed.

Unfortunately, it’s pretty clear that government in this country don’t have any desire to get fans back in to stadiums (not just football fans).

Very healthy crowd at the reims PSG game

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Very healthy crowd at the reims PSG game
    Give it a week or two and maybe they won’t be so healthy.

I’d be happy if we started getting people back in to grounds safely. I think it is substantially less likely to drive infection than some of the other things that are being allowed.

Unfortunately, it’s pretty clear that government in this country don’t have any desire to get fans back in to stadiums (not just football fans).
    I still feel it is not about the stadiums but more about the travelling and people going to the pubs before and after.
    I think the government feel it is easier to maintain the status quo of keeping crowds out rather than taking on the headache of devising a new set of guidance to allow games to go ahead.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This has me stumped aswell, why are they not doing their lessons online?
    In the Philippines all schools/university all studies are from home using online, teleconference and study packs. Population is 110 million with 5,000 deaths.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    In the Philippines all schools/university all studies are from home using online, teleconference and study packs. Population is 110 million with 5,000 deaths.
    Off subject I know but never realised the population was that size. I checked on google in case you had mistyped but they say over 109m. You learn something new every day!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Give it a week or two and maybe they won’t be so healthy.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    🏆 Our William Hill @ScottishCup semi-final has been scheduled for Saturday 31 October, with a 5pm kick-off at Hampden.

📺 The match will be screened live on BBC Scotland and Premier Sports. https://t.co/19mJSwxn4o
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    In your prior post to this you agree that people need to get back to some normality.

But here you think students should all learn remotely, which is very far from normal for a university experience. Not a criticism but it just shows there are no easy answers. For me peoples education should come first and football is at the back of the queue. If that means lower divisions all mothball for a year, so be it
    I agree it’s not normal for students, but there has to some restrictions. I’m sure they’d be happier living at home living a normal life rather being under house arrest in student halls. There isn’t any easy solution to this, but we seem to be determined to go down the road of closing things down and stopping movement for everyone. I wonder if it’s time to start using a system where people who’ve had the virus don’t have to follow the guidelines.

United we stand here....

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    You look at Parkhead on Sunday and think that there must be a way to safely house a percentage of the capacity in the stadium to watch the game. I'm always loathe to go for the "if you can do this, then why can't you do that?" arguments as they're generally fairly fundamentally flawed, however if you look at non-essential leisure activities such as going to the cinema then you would have to ask how that is manageable but a vastly reduced capacity at a football stadium isn't.

Away from the general arguments about covid and the restrictions, I see the issues for football being the volume of people who would congregate in one area at the same time to get in (and then out) of the stadium, the enforcement of social distancing within the ground once people are in, and, well, that's about it. Maybe the shouting and that, but if folk are required to wear masks and follow the rules, then that's not an issue either. I suppose making sure people stick to rules could be problematic given that week in/week out we have people that struggle with that concept even without Covid regulations. Maybe that has shaped the thinking on it as well, from the governments point of view.

I don't see how it's ok to allow other hospitality/entertainment industries to open up because of the economic damage caused to them by keeping them closed, but not for football.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    You look at Parkhead on Sunday and think that there must be a way to safely house a percentage of the capacity in the stadium to watch the game. I'm always loathe to go for the "if you can do this, then why can't you do that?" arguments as they're generally fairly fundamentally flawed, however if you look at non-essential leisure activities such as going to the cinema then you would have to ask how that is manageable but a vastly reduced capacity at a football stadium isn't.

Away from the general arguments about covid and the restrictions, I see the issues for football being the volume of people who would congregate in one area at the same time to get in (and then out) of the stadium, the enforcement of social distancing within the ground once people are in, and, well, that's about it. Maybe the shouting and that, but if folk are required to wear masks and follow the rules, then that's not an issue either. I suppose making sure people stick to rules could be problematic given that week in/week out we have people that struggle with that concept even without Covid regulations. Maybe that has shaped the thinking on it as well, from the governments point of view.

I don't see how it's ok to allow other hospitality/entertainment industries to open up because of the economic damage caused to them by keeping them closed, but not for football.
    I’m 100% with you on this Matty, really getting fed up with some of the baffling decision’s getting made just now

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't get about 4-5,000 at a stadium like Parkhead. It's outdoors which instantly makes it lower risk, there's plenty of seats available to spread people out across the full stadium. It's utter nonsense that fans cannot safely return to games.

Sadly the government doesn't appear to have the slightest interest in allowing fans back and it looks very much like it will be next season before any games are played before a crowd.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't get about 4-5,000 at a stadium like Parkhead. It's outdoors which instantly makes it lower risk, there's plenty of seats available to spread people out across the full stadium. It's utter nonsense that fans cannot safely return to games.

Sadly the government doesn't appear to have the slightest interest in allowing fans back and it looks very much like it will be next season before any games are played before a crowd.
    I think there’s pressure starting to build on the government and they will loosen their stance soon.

I personally think you could get a hell of a lot more in Parkhead than that amount, you could get about that many per stand in a stadium that size, I don’t dispute that there’s no chance of the government seeing it that way.

From a spectators perspective I can’t say I’m in any rush to get back and sit with the current restrictions in place, think I’d rather just wait a while longer and enjoy going back when I get to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think there’s pressure starting to build on the government and they will loosen their stance soon.

I personally think you could get a hell of a lot more in Parkhead than that amount, you could get about that many per stand in a stadium that size, I don’t dispute that there’s no chance of the government seeing it that way.

From a spectators perspective I can’t say I’m in any rush to get back and sit with the current restrictions in place, think I’d rather just wait a while longer and enjoy going back when I get to go again.
    I agree with you on the numbers side of things, Parkhead could easily have around 15,000 people inside and for it still to be "Covid secure". The problem with that though is the more people you allow in, the more people you'll have travelling about outside before and after the match.

The reason I used 4-5,000 as the figure is that might be the figure that the government would be looking at as a compromise compared with the 300 that turned up the other week at Aberdeen and Ross County. That tells us nothing, particularly in a stadium the size of Parkhead.