hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Rangers drawn with Royal Antwerp. Pretty decent draw for them

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rangers drawn with Royal Antwerp. Pretty decent draw for them
    Antwerp are quite decent, gave Spurs a good game and beat them at home. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Rangers get knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Antwerp are quite decent, gave Spurs a good game and beat them at home. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Rangers get knocked out.
    They are sitting 7th in the Belgian league after 16 games so Rangers will fancy themselves to beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    They are sitting 7th in the Belgian league after 16 games so Rangers will fancy themselves to beat them.
    They probably will, I just wouldn’t be surprised to see them lose. And I hope they lose.

Pretty easy draws for the two Ukrainian teams too though. Really a must win tie for rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Pretty easy draws for the two Ukrainian teams too though. Really a must win tie for rangers
    I wouldn't say Dynamo Kiev have an easy tie.

Club Brugge are top of the Belgian League and only lost 2 games in the Champions League whilst drawing 2 and winning 2. I watched their game away against Lazio and despite having 10 men were a lick of paint away from qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League when they hit the underside of the bar in the last minute.

I'd actually make Brugge favourites for that one.

I know how this thread is hated by everyone on here apart from SJNB Hibby and me .

After tonight's results Scotland remain in 11th place after picking up half a point tonight for Rangers win in Belgium although they did all they could to mess it up with some truly horrific defending. Fortunately the opposition were chucking them in at the other end as well.

Meanwhile
    We closed on Austria who are 10th after their 2 remaining teams Red Bull Salzburg and RZ Pellets WAC both lost at home.
    However, 12th place Ukraine closed in on us after their two teams grabbed a win and a draw. Shakhtar Donetsk winning and Dinamo Kiev drawing. We are now less than a win ahead of them therefore The Rangers need to win next weeks match to give us a chance of remaining in 11th.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 18-02-2021 at 10:26 PM.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I know how this thread is hated by everyone on here apart from SJNB Hibby and me .

After tonight's results Scotland remain in 11th place after picking up half a point tonight for Rangers win in Belgium although they did all they could to mess it up with some horrific defending. Fortunately the opposition were chucking them in at the other end as well.

Meanwhile
    We closed on Austria who are 10th after their 2 remaining teams Red Bull Salzburg and RZ Pellets WAC both lost at home.
    However, 12th place Ukraine closed in on us after their two teams grabbed a win and a draw. Shakhtar Donetsk winning and Dinamo Kiev drawing. We are now less than a win ahead of them so The Rangers need to win next weeks match to give us a chance of remaining in 11th
    Hope the huns get absolutely pumped at Ibrox in the return fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Hope the huns get absolutely pumped at Ibrox in the return fixture.
    Nah, best if they win next week and get pumped in the next round

Nah, best if they win next week and get pumped in the next round
    We'll never move up to the next group and too far in front even with a disastrous season to drop below 15th (given other countries around us will lose a better years record than us for next years figures).

Hibs to get 3rd and watch this thread rocket in popularity

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    We'll never move up to the next group and too far in front even with a disastrous season to drop below 15th (given other countries around us will lose a better years record than us for next years figures).

Actually. What's Important for a team like hibs is that we stay top 12. Means the cup winners get into PO round of EL, guaranteeing football until Christmas.

Only happening this year because there won't be a defending champion in the Conference League.

It's really important that rangers do better than shaktar and Kiev. As its these countries we are competing with for the decent spots for 3rd placed teams
    Last edited by Juniper Greens; 19-02-2021 at 06:19 AM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Actually. What's Important for a team like hibs is that we stay top 12. Means the cup winners get into PO round of EL, guaranteeing football until Christmas.

Only happening this year because there won't be a defending champion in the Conference League.

It's really important that rangers do better than shaktar and Kiev. As its these countries we are competing with for the decent spots for 3rd placed teams
    Where do you find the detail for that part?

I find Wikipedia really good for showing coefficient ranking and what that means in terms of places in the tournaments but it lacks the entry stage detail.

I hadn't appreciated that the #1 Europa qualifying team getting through to the playoff was a bit of a fluke this year.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    As I understand it (and open to correction on this) there are two major cut off points that matter to Hibs - top 12 and top 15.

Top 12: Five European places for Scottish teams, cup winner or third placed team gets Europa League playoff - so guaranteed group stage football in either the Europa League or the Europa Conference.

13th to 15th: Five European places for Scottish teams and cup winner or third placed team goes in at the Europa League third round stage - so just needs to win one qualifying tie to get the Europa Conference group stages (two qualifying tie wins needed for Europa League).

If Scotland was to fall back out of the top 15 leagues again it's back to only four European places and we go in at the early rounds like we have done in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    As I understand it (and open to correction on this) there are two major cut off points that matter to Hibs - top 12 and top 15.

Top 12: Five European places for Scottish teams, cup winner or third placed team gets Europa League playoff - so guaranteed group stage football in either the Europa League or the Europa Conference.

13th to 15th: Five European places for Scottish teams and cup winner or third placed team goes in at the Europa League third round stage - so just needs to win one qualifying tie to get the Europa Conference group stages (two qualifying tie wins needed for Europa League).

If Scotland was to fall back out of the top 15 leagues again it's back to only four European places and we go in at the early rounds like we have done in recent years.
    Exactly. It's in the picture I posted earlier this morning if you want clarification.

Noting the quirk that this season, Hibs would be certain to get group stages, but celtic would not!

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

I find Wikipedia really good for showing coefficient ranking and what that means in terms of places in the tournaments but it lacks the entry stage detail.

I hadn't appreciated that the #1 Europa qualifying team getting through to the playoff was a bit of a fluke this year.
    A guy called Bert Kassies runs a brilliant coefficient page. Updates it every night that there are games. Has done for 15 years or so. Give it a Google and then bookmark it. It's brilliant if you are interested in coefficients

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    I get the feeling that a lot of Hibs supporters are/were still a bit hung up on the cup semi finals and haven't actually realised or are only very recently realising how close we currently are to European group stage football for the first time ever. It's potentially huge for the club, biggest thing since 2016 by a long way. Aberdeen have been finishing third or higher for years with little reward but if we can stay ahead of them this year there is a massive bonus in it for us next season in Europe.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    The Rangers are doing the rest of Scottish football a big favour with their European runs over the past few seasons.

They are also keeping the lights on at Ibrox of course.

I

Meanwhile
    We closed on Austria who are 10th after their 2 remaining teams Red Bull Salzburg and RZ Pellets WAC both lost at home. .

There were three Austrian teams playing yesterday.

Wolfsberg lost 4-1 at home to Spurs.

RZ Pellets and Wolfsberger are the same team.

I get the feeling that a lot of Hibs supporters are/were still a bit hung up on the cup semi finals and haven't actually realised or are only very recently realising how close we currently are to European group stage football for the first time ever. It's potentially huge for the club, biggest thing since 2016 by a long way. Aberdeen have been finishing third or higher for years with little reward but if we can stay ahead of them this year there is a massive bonus in it for us next season in Europe.
    8 games will be a big shot in the arm. The ranking/points system is stacked against the small countries so any group stages boosts the chances of points for seasons to come.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

You get that specific info in the "access list" section of the previously mentioned Bert kassies website

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    As long as the Scottish Cup isn't completed and won by a team outside of the top 3

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    To be fair the only reason Hibs would be in Europe at Christmas would be because of this new third competition, you are comparing Aberdeen with the europa league against the Conference League, don’t get me wrong it’s Greg if we get there but it’s not going to be as big names as the other competitions

If you look forward, at present we would start next season in 9th, ahead of Holland and Belgium, and only a fraction behind Austria. Rangers good run is guaranteeing 5 clubs in Europe for a few years to come

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    A guy called Bert Kassies runs a brilliant coefficient page. Updates it every night that there are games. Has done for 15 years or so. Give it a Google and then bookmark it. It's brilliant if you are interested in coefficients
    That's the one I use.

It's brilliant.

When Hibs qualify I go on it every night to see what clubs from other countries have qualified and where it leaves us in terms of being seeded.

Canny whack sitting up on a Saturday night to 11pm to check who finished fourth in the Czech League and if we are ranked above them.
    Last edited by scoopyboy; 19-02-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    As long as the Scottish Cup isn't completed and won by a team outside of the top 3
    Reporting this morning SFA planning to complete next season (it is the Sun mind)

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    To be fair the only reason Hibs would be in Europe at Christmas would be because of this new third competition, you are comparing Aberdeen with the europa league against the Conference League, don’t get me wrong it’s Greg if we get there but it’s not going to be as big names as the other competitions
    But if we win our play off we would be in the Europa league group stages

Hertz

Updated your chart for you

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    But if we win our play off we would be in the Europa league group stages
    Yeah I know that, you got to remember what kind of team we will get drawn against, the times we got been in the qualifiers before we couldn’t get past the second or third round, I would imagine we would be unseeded against a decent side