hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Even after Motherwell and Aberdeen's defeats last night things are still looking good on the coefficient front.

Right behind Turkey which makes Rangers Galatassary next week even more interesting.

If the league can stay at that ranking it makes it even more important that hibs come third at some poing over the next couple of seasons, as that would guarantee us getting into the groups of either the Europa or Europa Conference.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2.250 points for Scotland already this season.
    A third of the way to the another decent number.
    Comfortably 13th and chasing the Ukraine (only half a point behind).

Got to be looking at the old firm both winning next week but Motherwell and Aberdeen will be up against it.
    Coincidently, Motherwell's second half performance was absolutely appalling last night. Tactically inept.
    Scotland up to 12th and little more than half a point behind Turkey.
    Celtic have a relatively easy draw compared to Rangers next week although they are playing away from home. If both can get through Scotland will be on for another healthy points total and heading for some automatic group places in the years that follow.
    The top 6 countries are set in stone but Scotland could climb another couple of places in a years time when Hibs get their chance to contribute.
    It would be good for the Scottish game to be recognised as one of the top 10 leagues in Europe.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 25-09-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Gonna be good viewing in the morning. Will be close to having matched the 2016-17 total, and a good run for the Old **** could eliminate the 2017-18 total, that we were part of. Could be a good run of years in Europe for the Hibees, and maybe not having to start in the middle of June, which I think is part of the reason Scottish clubs have suffered

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Gonna be good viewing in the morning. Will be close to having matched the 2016-17 total, and a good run for the Old **** could eliminate the 2017-18 total, that we were part of. Could be a good run of years in Europe for the Hibees, and maybe not having to start in the middle of June, which I think is part of the reason Scottish clubs have suffered
    Scotland are equal top country this season along with Hungary and Israel on 4 points each.
    We now have 28.875 points and Turkey and Ukraine are a baw hair ahead of us on 28.900 and 29.100 respectively and will almost certainly overtake both on the next European match night which will see Scotland as 11th best European league.
    Brilliant considering we were a horrific and unacceptable 26th a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 01-10-2020 at 10:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Scotland are equal top country this season along with Hungary on 4 points each.
    We now have 28.875 points and Turkey and Ukraine are a baw hair ahead of us on 28.900 and 29.100 respectively and will almost certainly overtake both on the next European match night which will see Scotland as 11th best European league.
    Brilliant considering we were a horrific and unacceptable 26th a couple of years ago.
    But BBC Sport sound say our game is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    But BBC Sport sound say our game is crap.
    There are no countries leagues higher than Scotland in the UEFA coefficient that have a smaller population.
    Next match day our league will move above the leagues of Turkey and the Ukraine. Turkey has a population of 82 million people and Ukraine 42 million.
    For a tiny country of 5.5 million people our league is good and our supporters the most supportive in Europe.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 01-10-2020 at 10:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    There are no countries leagues higher than Scotland in the UEFA coefficient that have a smaller population.
    Next match day our league will move above the leagues of Turkey and the Ukraine. Turkey has a population of 82 million people and Ukraine 42 million.
    For a tiny country of 5.5 million people our league is good and our supporters the most supportive in Europe.
    I think the problem here is that I'm not sure the league is good - it's Celtic and Rangers picking up all the points.

When was the last time anyone outwith those two teams got near the group stages?

Dundalk qualify for the group stage 2nd season in a row. No reason non Glasgow bigots can't do it.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I hope you are right CM but I don't think it is guaranteed by any manner of means.

Turkey still have two teams left in, one in the CL group and one in the EL. Neither team has kicked a ball yet as they are direct entries.

Ukraine have two teams in the CL and one in the EL.

The coefficient is getting better without doubt but to get much higher now will be tough.

@hibs.net private member
    The Old Firm are that far ahead of us that i'm prepared to accept them being successful in Europe as I see it benefitting us in the longer term. If their performances give us a better co-efficient thus greater chance of more European night at Easter Road i'm prepared to stomach it for now. Goal has to be for us to reach Europa league stage ourselves at some point which would provide us with revenue to challenge them better domestically.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I hope you are right CM but I don't think it is guaranteed by any manner of means.

Turkey still have two teams left in, one in the CL group and one in the EL. Neither team has kicked a ball yet as they are direct entries.

The coefficient is getting better without doubt but to get much higher now will be tough.
    Turkey, Belgium and Austria all did really well in 16/17. That drops off soon so there's a good chance of going above them - we're 8th as it stands if you exclude 16/17.

Direct entry to Champions league and Europa league is looking very possible in the near future. Challenge will be keeping the average up with another club in Europe.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    The Old Firm are that far ahead of us that i'm prepared to accept them being successful in Europe as I see it benefitting us in the longer term. If their performances give us a better co-efficient thus greater chance of more European night at Easter Road i'm prepared to stomach it for now. Goal has to be for us to reach Europa league stage ourselves at some point which would provide us with revenue to challenge them better domestically.
    Agreed

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Hate to admit it but thats kind of where i'm at too. Still not and never will be at the stage of actively wanting them to win mind you, but not going to be too disappointed when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Turkey, Belgium and Austria all did really well in 16/17. That drops off soon so there's a good chance of going above them - we're 8th as it stands if you exclude 16/17.

Direct entry to Champions league and Europa league is looking very possible in the near future. Challenge will be keeping the average up with another club in Europe.
    Cool, so will this mean teams finishing well in the league this year (hopefully us) will benefit if we qualify for Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    Cool, so will this mean teams finishing well in the league this year (hopefully us) will benefit if we qualify for Europe?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

I think its best, at this stage, to focus on year over year. Next year 2016-17 points disappear, and thats 4.375 points---we've already got 4 points, and the old firm will surely accumulate enough points to beat that, then we're looking at only 4 points from 2017-208.
    Last season may have been about the best we can do, but if we could average 7 points a season we'd be challenging the top 10, but getting some automatic qualification for the Group stages is the key to long term benefit.

Another good sign is how well the countries behind us are doing. We are sitting , a fraction behind Ukraine & Turkey, but the closest country behind us with MORE teams left in competition is the Greeks 18th, and 5 points back. The Czechs are 20th with 3 teams left, and thats it. The 4 teams immediately below us have only one team left each

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    I think its best, at this stage, to focus on year over year. Next year 2016-17 points disappear, and thats 4.375 points---we've already got 4 points, and the old firm will surely accumulate enough points to beat that, then we're looking at only 4 points from 2017-208.
    Last season may have been about the best we can do, but if we could average 7 points a season we'd be challenging the top 10, but getting some automatic qualification for the Group stages is the key to long term benefit.

Another good sign is how well the countries behind us are doing. We are sitting , a fraction behind Ukraine & Turkey, but the closest country behind us with MORE teams left in competition is the Greeks 18th, and 5 points back. The Czechs are 20th with 3 teams left, and thats it. The 4 teams immediately below us have only one team left each
    Agreed and the Danes are in a really hard group in the Champions League where they will be lucky to pick up anything.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Read elsewhere that third place in the league (or cup winner if outside the top three) is guaranteed group stage European football next season in the new Europa Conference at a minimum. If that's correct we really need to get the midfield sorted this week and have a good go at third this season.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Mixed back for the two Scottish clubs left:

Celtic
    Sparta Prague
    AC Milan
    Lille

Benfica
    Standard Liege
    Rangers
    Lech Poznan

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

Celtic
    Sparta Prague
    AC Milan
    Lille

Benfica
    Standard Liege
    Rangers
    Lech Poznan

could see them both progress from those groups. (assuming thats what this is )

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    could see them both progress from those groups. (assuming thats what this is )
    Arsenal have to be the jammiest team in world football

Celtic
    Sparta Prague
    AC Milan
    Lille

Benfica
    Standard Liege
    Rangers
    Lech Poznan
    They're strong groups with no weak links, but AC is the only team i'd put any money on right now to progress, although they were lucky to actually progress last night

Celtic
    Sparta Prague
    AC Milan
    Lille

Benfica
    Standard Liege
    Rangers
    Lech Poznan
    Despite being top seeds Celtic have a tougher group than Rangers who were in Pot 3.

Celtic
    Sparta Prague
    AC Milan
    Lille

Benfica
    Standard Liege
    Rangers
    Lech Poznan
    Hard group for Celtic. Lille probably the best team from pot 4.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    On ranking points, Celtic got the second best team from each pot. Very tough draw for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    On ranking points, Celtic got the second best team from each pot. Very tough draw for them.
    Looks tough, 2 from 3
    Rangers group looks okay, so a really good bet to finish in the top 2

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Dundalk qualify for the group stage 2nd season in a row. No reason non Glasgow bigots can't do it.
    The draw seems to be kinder to the teams that get launched out of the Champions League qualifiers.
    Dundalk beat a team from the Faroes last night and Rangers by comparison had to beat Willem II followed by Galatasaray. Unfortunately the path for Hibs, Aberdeen etc would be the Rangers one, which most times will be a tough ask.
    What will be interesting is how the teams in each country are affected financially by Covid in the years to come.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 02-10-2020 at 05:07 PM.

The draw seems to be kinder to the teams that get launched out of the Champions League qualifiers.
    Dundalk beat a team from the Faroes last night and Rangers by comparison had to beat Willem II followed by Galatasaray. Unfortunately the path for Hibs, Aberdeen etc would be the Rangers one, which most times will be a tough ask.
    What will be interesting is how the teams in each country are affected financially by Covid in the years to come.
    There are two routes into the group stages.

Dundalk and Celtic were in the Champions path whereas Rangers, Aberdeen and Motherwell were in the ordinary route.

The Champions League has a similar path, ie Celtic couldn't get any of the really hard teams, only champions of other countries that didn't get direct entry.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i think sevco will progress, i wouldn't put money on sellick getting through though

Its easier to get into the group stages by falling out of the ECL qualifiers, and the later the better, but for the group stages they're seeded. Just the luck of the draw. Luxembourg teams have made it in the past.
    Celtic were unlucky but they have the ability to get out of the group, as fo Rangers
    I reckon if they can both get out of their groups we will be in the top 10 for 22-23, and likely top 7-8 for 23-24.
    But with covid, all football will be suspended just as Hibs prepare to enter the ECL at the group stages
    Last edited by SJNB Hibby; 02-10-2020 at 06:13 PM.