hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lost my stream in Brugge as Kiev scored.
    Ukraine overtake Scotland if Brugge can't equalise.
    Brugge have been all over them but couldn't score.
    Does it make any material difference for 2022-23 though?
    We'll have at least a 1 point spread over Ukraine starting next season

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Does it make any material difference for 2022-23 though?
    We'll have at least a 1 point spread over Ukraine starting next season
    Someone posted that 11th place this season would gain an automatic qualification place in the Champions League..............probably for 2022=23
    P.S. Scotland still 0.025 of a point ahead of Ukraine after tonights matches because their wins were worth 0.4 of a point each and Rangers win was worth 0.5

P.P.S. Last Russian team has bitten the dust
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 25-02-2021 at 09:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Remember as far as Hibs and the other non Glasgow teams go top 12 is all we need year on year and we're comfortable for that for next season. The whole think with Ukraine is more to do with champions league places for Rangers and Celtic, from our point of view Rangers winning is good and we don't really need to worry about what Dynamo Kiev are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Remember as far as Hibs and the other non Glasgow teams go top 12 is all we need year on year and we're comfortable for that for next season. The whole think with Ukraine is more to do with champions league places for Rangers and Celtic, from our point of view Rangers winning is good and we don't really need to worry about what Dynamo Kiev are doing.
    Yeah, I get that. still want Scotland to win win win!

All falling into place.
    The countries above Scotland in the coefficient but below the untouchable 6 countries: Russia, Belgium and Austria have had all their teams knocked out. Holland like Scotland have 1 team left and our chasers Ukraine miraculously have 2 after a completely outplayed Dynamo Kiev stole a late goal against a very impressive Club Brugge.

1 more Matt Johnson match win in the next round would see Scotland jump Austria, Belgium and Russia in the UEFA coefficient into 8th place when next season starts.
    Have we ever been any higher?
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 25-02-2021 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Agreed, but qualification for the CL group stages gives you 4 bonus points(how on earth do England spain germany and italy manage to hang on to the top 4 ) which almost makes up for it, the rich get richer etc etc etc. Imagine if Killie and the Huns hadnt lost to Welsh and Luxemburgians
    Not got my head around the new system yet but it looks like we're comfortable for the next 3 seasons for places. 27 points seems to be the cut off point.

What I've not quite figured is how the new competition will affect that. Whilst they've reduced the EL, they have created 16 extra group stage places across the two and more chances to gain points for those clubs. The CL teams will just gain more competition points. That could aldo in effect cement the middle ranking nations with more games and set adrift the minnows which could of been us if this was 3 seasons ago.

At the moment, you get four points for qualifying for CL group stages, to reward it being tougher than the EL. With this new ECL, I wonder if we will see some bonus points allocated to EL in a similar way?

The draw for the last 16 has just been made and is decent for Rangers and potentially the Scotland coefficient:
    They play Slavia Prague with the 2nd leg in Scotland on the 18th March after the 1st leg a week earlier.

The Ukranian teams are drawn as follows:
    Dynamo Kiev play Villarreal with the 2nd leg in Spain
    Shakhtar Donetsk play AS Roma with the 2nd leg in Ukraine

Can Scotland get more coefficient points than Ukraine from this round?
    Will one or both Ukraine teams get knocked out

To get through Rangers have to beat a team Leicester failed to beat last night and a team that destroyed a useless Celtic team home and away
    Rangers will have to defend a lot better than they did in both games against Antwerp were they gave away 4 of the 5 goals they conceded in the tie.

Let the I hate Rangers and all they stand for and hope they get pumped posts begin
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-02-2021 at 11:39 AM.

The draw for the last 16 has just been made and is decent for Rangers and potentially the Scotland coefficient:
    They play Slavia Prague with the 2nd leg in Scotland on the 18th March after the 1st leg a week earlier.

The Ukranian teams are drawn as follows:
    Dynamo Kiev play Villarreal with the 2nd leg in Spain
    Shakhtar Donetsk play AS Roma with the 2nd leg in Ukraine

Can Scotland get more coefficient points than Ukraine from this round?
    Will one or both Ukraine teams get knocked out

To get through Rangers have to beat a team Leicester failed to beat last night and a team that destroyed a useless Celtic team home and away
    Rangers will have to defend a lot better than they did in both games against Antwerp were they gave away 4 of the 5 goals they conceded in the tie.

Let the I hate Rangers and all they stand for and hope they get pumped posts begin
    It was Sparta Prague who beat Celtic.

Slavia Prague are also undefeated in their league campaign with 16 wins and 4 draws from 20 games only conceding 12 goals. I’m not sure how that league compares to here but they are above Sparta Prague who as mentioned beat Celtic comfortably home and away. Managing to knock out Leicester and not conceding any goals over 2 games is good going, I think Slavia Prague might be too good here.
    Last edited by Magpie; 26-02-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    It was Sparta Prague who beat Celtic.

Slavia Prague are also undefeated in their league campaign with 16 wins and 4 draws from 20 games only conceding 12 goals. I’m not sure how that league compares to here but they are above Sparta Prague who as mentioned beat Celtic comfortably home and away. Managing to knock out Leicester and not conceding any goals over 2 games is good going, I think Slavia Prague might be too good here.
    Thanks Magpie. As you say Slavia are a much better team than Sparta who are now 8 points them in their league. No league losses is very impressive and as we know is a good habit and it will stand them in good stead against Rangers as it did against Leicester. Rangers recent habit of losing lots of poor goals could cost them.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-02-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks Magpie. As you say Slavia are a much better team than Sparta who are now 8 points them in their league. No league losses is very impressive and as we know is a good habit and it will stand them in good stead against Rangers as it did against Leicester. Rangers recent habit of losing lots of poor goals could cost them.
    Rangers are also a far better side than Celtic though, and although that side humped Celtic, I wasn’t overly impressed by them. Be a proper 50/50 tie this one for Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Rangers are also a far better side than Celtic though, and although that side humped Celtic, I wasn’t overly impressed by them. Be a proper 50/50 tie this one for Rangers.
    Sam, you may have followed me into the trap. It was Sparta that beat Celtic not Slavia.
    Slavia are much better than Sparta and Rangers are much better than Celtic.
    The Rangers defence has started to fail but Moelos could be coming into form and could make the difference.
    Rangers scored 4 goals hen he was on the field last night. he scored 1, set up 2 and won the penalty for the other.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-02-2021 at 01:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    The Czech league is a similar standard to the Scottish league. The Rangers v Slavia has the potential to be an excellent tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    The Czech league is a similar standard to the Scottish league. The Rangers v Slavia has the potential to be an excellent tie.
    Slavia are doing really well this season considering they lost right back Vladimir Coufal and midfielder Tomas Soucek to West Ham. Obviously they got more than £20 million in their tail which I presume they partially reinvested.
    They look a well organised and athletic team in the limited highlights I've seen of their European games.
    Rangers will be hoping they can get Tavernier, Roofe & Jack back for the tie but Tavernier looked pretty busted to me so can't see him back in 3 weeks despite Gerrard's chat.

Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-02-2021 at 02:57 PM.

The Europa League doesn't look particularly strong this season to me. I'd say Sevco are probably slight favourites to beat Slavia and if they get a favourable draw in the quarters it's not beyond the realms of possibility they could make the semi finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    The Europa League doesn't look particularly strong this season to me. I'd say Sevco are probably slight favourites to beat Slavia and if they get a favourable draw in the quarters it's not beyond the realms of possibility they could make the semi finals.
    The thought of those khantz getting that far gives me the boak...

@hibs.net private member
    Nah. If they play AC Milan, Arsenal, Spurs, Ajax or Roma I think they'd be out. Probably Villareal as well. The only tie I think they'd be favourites is if they played the winner of Granada vs Molde.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Not much of a betting man but if I was having a fiver on the outcome of the Slavia v Rangers tie it would be on the Czechs. Rangers might be happy with that draw but I dont think Slavia will exactly be breaking out the nappies. Its an interesting tie but I think Slavia will prevail. Of the British Clubs I think United and Spurs will go through, Arsenal and Rangers to exit.

Sam, you may have followed me into the trap. It was Sparta that beat Celtic not Slavia.
    Slavia are much better than Sparta and Rangers are much better than Celtic.
    The Rangers defence has started to fail but Moelos could be coming into form and could make the difference.
    Rangers scored 4 goals hen he was on the field last night. he scored 1, set up 2 and won the penalty for the other.
    No, I maybe never explained it well, not sure who had mentioned it was a different team than beat Celtic and Slavia are far better, my point was that Rangers are also far better than Celtic so should still be a 50/50 game.

Stuff the co-efficient. I hope the Stickies getting absolutely pumped by Slavia Prague, both home and away. Club and their "frothy layer of dirty water" fans need brought down a peg or twenty.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    We're at the point where it won't make a huge amount of difference to Hibs status if they do badly anyway, so we happily enjoy them losing if they do.

@hibs.net private member
    Another good night for Scotland. I’m to lazy to do the maths though

It's that time again with Scotland starting the night ahead of Ukraine by the smallest of margins.

Thanks to an uber save by angry goalie, Scotland have a quarter of a point from tonight's game.

Dynamo Kiev kicked off at the same time at home and were predictably pumped by their Spanish opponents.
    The 2nd Ukrainian team, Shakhtar Donetsk kicked off at 8pm against AS Roma and after 30 minutes the Romans are one up.
    So as things stand, zero points to the Ukraine tonight.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 11-03-2021 at 07:35 PM.

If rangers win it do 3rd get the champions league place as they would qualify as Europa winners

Quote Originally Posted by Helensburghhibs View Post
    If rangers win it do 3rd get the champions league place as they would qualify as Europa winners
    I don’t believe so. It would favour another country’s competition I believe.

That’s correct.

What a con!

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    What a con!
    It’s actually designed to stop the very top leagues gaining from it.

It's that time again with Scotland starting the night ahead of Ukraine by the smallest of margins.

Thanks to an uber save by angry goalie, Scotland have a quarter of a point from tonight's game.

Dynamo Kiev kicked off at the same time at home and were predictably pumped by their Spanish opponents.
    The 2nd Ukrainian team, Shakhtar Donetsk kicked off at 8pm against AS Roma and after 30 minutes the Romans are one up.
    So as things stand, zero points to the Ukraine tonight.
    3-0 AS Roma.
    Shakhtar buried.
    Looking good for Scotland finishing the season ahead of Ukraine so long as Rangers get through next week.
    That's still a very big if at the moment but both Ukraine teams look like they will be going out.

Tonights top top coefficient fact

If The Rangers get at least a draw next week Scotlands top league will start next season ahead of the mighty Russia in the UEFA coefficient.

They will already be ahead of Belgium and Austria.

So Scotland looking at starting next season in 8th place!!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Tonights top top coefficient fact

If The Rangers get at least a draw next week Scotlands top league will start next season ahead of the mighty Russia in the UEFA coefficient.

They will already be ahead of Belgium and Austria.

So Scotland looking at starting next season in 8th place!!!!
    Does this change anything for Hibs coming 3rd / 4th (with the possibility of a non top team wining Scottish cup).