hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar

Watching Hibs on TV - crippled with nerves

Does anyone else really struggle with watching Hibs games on the telly, to the extent of being beset with almost paralysing anxiety? For example, when the fixtures came out I was all "aw brilliant, Dundee United at 6pm on a Tuesday. I'll finish my work, sort out my tea and watch the game". But by the time Tuesday came round I was hit with a wave of gloom every time I remembered the game was on as I knew Id be a bag of nerves by the time it started.

I don't get this going to games, no doubt helped by bevvy and being around other folk, or even if I watch a game in a boozer, but at home its a trial. Back in the day I'd have had a drink or two to calm the nerves, but I'm not too into getting mangled on a Tuesday evening or even a Saturday lunchtime as much anymore. Given that we're likely to only be watching games on telly for a while its shaping up into a tough few months ahead.

Is anyone else so afflicted?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Naw, it's just you

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Have you tried the traditional Scottish remedy for match nerves - bevy?

I can confirm that six pints of Guinness works like a charm.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 14-08-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    I'm the same. Especially second half against Killie.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Aye I hate it. Sooner we’re back in stadiums the better! Pretty much watched the last 5 minutes of the Dundee United game through my fingers... although that’s not too dissimilar to normal in fairness

Don’t know why it is, maybe it’s just cause there’s less distractions that you’d normally have in stadiums or because it’s on a screen opponents attacks seem more dangerous and imminent than they actually are when you can see the full pitch normally, god knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m the opposite.

Obviously I still want us to win but I don’t feel the same raw involvement that you have when you’re at the game.

I’m a fairly laid back chap and don’t get as wound up about football as I used to, full stop, but the derbies still get me wound up in a big way. My partner also pointed out to me that Sevco games affect me in a big way, not a good way, so I’ve actually stopped going to those. I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to Ibrox and I hate their Friday night bigotfests at ER. Their hatred brings it out in me and I just don’t want to be like that.

It’s just a game. Sometimes you need to think about the effect it’s having on you, and whether it’s healthy. I’m not sure if the reaction you describe above to a game vs Killie or Utd on tv really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you tried the traditional Scottish remedy for match nerves - bevy?

I can confirm that six pints of Guinness works like a charm.
    That would undoubtedly been my solution not too long ago, but I've just not been drinking much at all since the first couple of months of lockdown. I figured I could do without it, even when watching football. Shows what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Naw, it's just you

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post

Don’t know why it is, maybe it’s just cause there’s less distractions that you’d normally have in stadiums or because it’s on a screen opponents attacks seem more dangerous and imminent than they actually are when you can see the full pitch normally, god knows.

I think that distractions thing has something to it. There's always something else going on when you're at the ground, or you're talking to someone about something totally unrelated to the game. Even though my missus and kids are around in the house I struggle to speak to them like a normal person when Hibs are on the telly. I think that's maybe part of it as well - having non-football folk around who don't really understand what you're going through or what it means, however well meaning they might be.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    Does anyone else really struggle with watching Hibs games on the telly, to the extent of being beset with almost paralysing anxiety? For example, when the fixtures came out I was all "aw brilliant, Dundee United at 6pm on a Tuesday. I'll finish my work, sort out my tea and watch the game". But by the time Tuesday came round I was hit with a wave of gloom every time I remembered the game was on as I knew Id be a bag of nerves by the time it started.

I don't get this going to games, no doubt helped by bevvy and being around other folk, or even if I watch a game in a boozer, but at home its a trial. Back in the day I'd have had a drink or two to calm the nerves, but I'm not too into getting mangled on a Tuesday evening or even a Saturday lunchtime as much anymore. Given that we're likely to only be watching games on telly for a while its shaping up into a tough few months ahead.

I'm exactly the same as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post
    Doppelganger

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post
    +1. Can't watch us live on TV and get palpitations when I look up the score after. No problem when I'm there in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

It’s just a game. Sometimes you need to think about the effect it’s having on you, and whether it’s healthy. I’m not sure if the reaction you describe above to a game vs Killie or Utd on tv really is.
    Probably not!

I like to think I'm a fairly well-balanced, sensible chap with a good sense of perspective of what's important in life and what isn't, and I can fully see the ridiculousness of the situation. I cope pretty well with the stresses and worries of everyday life, but watching Hibs on the telly brings it all out. If nothing else, the sense of relief when its over makes it worthwhile.

Yes , 100% and it’s driving me and family mad. Far worse on telly than in stadium

Me too mate I absolutely hate it to the point I'm considering not watching live and recording it then watching knowing the results. Its horrendous and the quicker we are back in stadia the better

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Aye I get myself pretty nervous as well.

Could barely watch the last ten mins v Utd

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I’m the opposite.

Obviously I still want us to win but I don’t feel the same raw involvement that you have when you’re at the game.

I’m a fairly laid back chap and don’t get as wound up about football as I used to, full stop, but the derbies still get me wound up in a big way. My partner also pointed out to me that Sevco games affect me in a big way, not a good way, so I’ve actually stopped going to those. I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to Ibrox and I hate their Friday night bigotfests at ER. Their hatred brings it out in me and I just don’t want to be like that.

I’m the same as you. I’m less into matches.

I was wandering around talking to mates during the Killie game - all in a socially distanced way of course

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I’m a nervous wreck for three days before every derby and obviously the 90 minutes itself is torture.

i never get nervous for any other game.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    I'm usually a bag of nerves unless we're 4-0 up with 5 mins to go, which is once every 10 years or something. That's whether i'm watching in the house or at the game but usually it's better being at the game.

Listening to a must win or close game on the radio is worse. I usually avoid the score until later. Well i used to until my wee man and Mrs started giving me updates every 5 mins, which winds me up. So if things are really bad I take a drive somewhere and turn my phone off completely until after the game. Extra time is just another realm of anxiety!

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Me too mate I absolutely hate it to the point I'm considering not watching live and recording it then watching knowing the results. Its horrendous and the quicker we are back in stadia the better
    I think I'd really struggle not to look up the score. At about 85 minutes the other night I thought to myself "you know, I could just turn this off, go and do some weeding in the garden or something and find out the score later" but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I know I'd be tempted to check the score every couple of minutes and get into a tizzy waiting for it to come up, like in the old days of watching the game on Teletext and waiting for the page to turn over. I did feel a sense of achievement when it got to full time though, so that's something. Then I acted nonchalant about it to the missus.

I feel more relaxed watching on us on TV. It doesn’t feel as real when I’m used to being there every week.

Blog Entries

Been like that for years unfortunately. I end up going for a walk in the garden when oppo have free kicks, corners etc! Do my 10k steps watching Hibs!5

I'm exactly the same. When you're at the game you feel that somehow you can influence the outcome - eg by cheering on our team, booing oppositon and referee. But watching on tv at home - I feel I can't do anything to help. I remember having the same feeling when I was a guest in one of the boxes in Famous 5. Felt cut off.

Yeah. Me. Totally fine at the games, but it’s more nerve wracking watching on tv. Have to say though, radio is FAR worse! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Dibben View Post
    Yeah. Me. Totally fine at the games, but it’s more nerve wracking watching on tv. Have to say though, radio is FAR worse! 😂
    Don't even start with the radio! Every time the ball's in the Hibs' half it might as well be a goal.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    First of all we’ve been lucky this month with all our games on Hibspass and Sky. Also is good for fans who can’t get to ER, to see Hibs
    As a fan who went to most games home and away, I’m finding watching Hibs on TV really brutal
    At the game you can see everything going on, TV only gives you a snapshot
    Also at the game you can get rid of your anxiety by getting on you feet, and shouting at the opposition players/ref

It’s also shame for Hibs just now, 3 wins on the trot, and they’d be getting a bumper crowd at the game tomorrow, in normal times

I’m hoping, maybe come October, we can get back to ER

I actually feel physically sick watching a Derby... its truthfully an ordeal at the game or on TV no matter what the score is !!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Some folk need hypnotherapy 😉

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby;6268366[B
    ]I'm exactly the same. When you're at the game you feel that somehow you can influence the outcome - eg by cheering on our team, booing opposition and referee. But watching on tv at home - I feel I can't do anything to help[/B]. I remember having the same feeling when I was a guest in one of the boxes in Famous 5. Felt cut off.

That's just how I feel. Not as bad in the boozer or at home with a few pals but home alone - bag of nerves.

Derbies for me, the build up is horrible pre match interviews with the managers etc.. knowing what’s coming up will affect how u feel for the next few weeks

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Don't even start with the radio! Every time the ball's in the Hibs' half it might as well be a goal.
    This.
    No matter who the commentator is he always seems more excited when the opposition has the ball in or around our box and the contrary when we are in the opponents half. I even find myself turning the volume down if we concede a corner when it sounds as if a goal is more or less a certainty! 😂