hibs.net Messageboard

Handling the heat

Its been ridiculous weather past few days down here in the south east of england, currently 31c.

Far to hot for me, how do you guys handle it and yes I know most on here wont see much sun 😄

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I live on the upslope of a valley and can literally sit in the garden and watch the storms or rain pass by, half a mile away, a lot of the time.

It has been hot here though, to the extent we ordered a tower fan. I think keeping hydrated is important. The heat definitely leads to more sluggishness. Maybe more for the wildlife thread but we have more sources of water out in the garden. We didn’t really get the phenomenal downpours that a lot of the country got, though the collapse of the A68 at Fala wasn’t reassuring. Under normal circumstances I would use that road several times a week.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

It was hot in Edinburgh today after last night's thundershow. A mild breeze. London can be very oppressive.

Use a double sheet instead of a duvet or blanket.
    plastic water bottle in freezer an hour before bedtime, take it to bed (screw that top tight!)
    cool shower before bed.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its been ridiculous weather past few days down here in the south east of england, currently 31c.

Far to hot for me, how do you guys handle it and yes I know most on here wont see much sun 😄
    I have never experienced heat in Scotland yet that required any special measures 😁

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    It was hot in Edinburgh today after last night's thundershow. A mild breeze. London can be very oppressive.
    Now back to the norm, cloudy and the sun might make an appearance for a hour at tea time.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I live on the upslope of a valley and can literally sit in the garden and watch the storms or rain pass by, half a mile away, a lot of the time.

It has been hot here though, to the extent we ordered a tower fan. I think keeping hydrated is important. The heat definitely leads to more sluggishness. Maybe more for the wildlife thread but we have more sources of water out in the garden. We didn’t really get the phenomenal downpours that a lot of the country got, though the collapse of the A68 at Fala wasn’t reassuring. Under normal circumstances I would use that road several times a week.
    What's the difference between an upslope and a downslope? I thought I was a geography nerd, so that's been bugging me all morning 🤓

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    What's the difference between an upslope and a downslope? I thought I was a geography nerd, so that's been bugging me all morning 🤓
    Presumably valleys don't have downslopes.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Presumably valleys don't have downslopes.
    Unless you're at the top?

Or is it from the perspective of the valley floor?

Edit.... this doesn't help a ****ing bit.

https://wikidiff.com/upslope/downslope

As nouns the difference between upslope and downslope is that upslope is an upward slope while downslope is a descent or declivity.
    As adjectives the difference between upslope and downslope is that upslope is in a direction up a slope while downslope is in a direction down a slope.
    As adverbs the difference between upslope and downslope is that upslope is up a slope while downslope is down a slope.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 13-08-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Unless you're at the top?

Or is it from the perspective of the valley floor?

Edit.... this doesn't help a ****ing bit.

https://wikidiff.com/upslope/downslope

As nouns the difference between upslope and downslope is that upslope is an upward slope while downslope is a descent or declivity.
    As adjectives the difference between upslope and downslope is that upslope is in a direction up a slope while downslope is in a direction down a slope.
    As adverbs the difference between upslope and downslope is that upslope is up a slope while downslope is down a slope.
    If you imagine that you’re Kermit’s nephew Robin on his favourite step. Everything behind him is upslope and everything in front of him is downslope.

Unless for some inexplicable reason he’s facing the wrong way 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    If you imagine that you’re Kermit’s nephew Robin on his favourite step. Everything behind him is upslope and everything in front of him is downslope.

Unless for some inexplicable reason he’s facing the wrong way ��
    So, everyone above Robin is on the upslope.... ok. Except those who live 100 yards above him are on the downslope compared to those who live 100 yards above them.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Where the **** is MA to settle this? Apart from on the upslope, obviously.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    So, everyone above Robin is on the upslope.... ok. Except those who live 100 yards above him are on the downslope compared to those who live 100 yards above them.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Where the **** is MA to settle this? Apart from on the upslope, obviously.
    Does the wind still blow up the alley

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Does the wind still blow up the alley
    Yep, and I'm lying in the arms of MA....

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    ****, now got that tune in my head
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member

Did she correct his first mistake or lead him into it ?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I've been making chilled soups for lunches - can be taken into work if not working from home, can sit in the fridge otherwise. The one I've been making and really enjoying is a pea and mint chilled soup.

About half a bag of frozen peas (the cheapest kind is fine) into a pan, top it up with chicken stock until it just tops the peas and simmer for three minutes. Add mint leaves to taste (you'll need a fair few) and blitz. Add seasoning and potentially more mint leaves to taste.

Add a small dollop of natural yoghurt, mix and refridgerate for a few hours. Top with more torn mint leaves and another small dollop of yoghurt if you want. In fact, you could leave the yoghurt out all together if you wished, but it's a really cheap, tasty, summery soup that's great for hot days.

Other than that, gazpachos are great especially if you've added things like smoked paprika, red pepper, tobasco etc. because any leftover gazpacho can be made into an absolutely killer bloody mary

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Use a double sheet instead of a duvet or blanket.
    plastic water bottle in freezer an hour before bedtime, take it to bed (screw that top tight!)
    cool shower before bed.
    I used to do the cool shower thing before bed until a Spanish girlfriend told me to try hot showering instead. It works a treat and the initial cool contrast of the air after exiting the shower lasts for a while as the bodies blood vessels near the surface of the skin are widened allowing you to give up more body warmth. A whisky before bed has a similar effect and is the main reason you shouldn't give someone alcohol who has hypothermia.

I was going to tell you before you made the post about lying in the arms of MA. Now I am worried

It is a fair question and I guess my rationale is that, there is a river in the middle of the town and everything builds up away from it on either side of the valley. My house is quite high up, so you drive or walk up from the lowest point and then onto a flat street - a terrace I guess technically. My house is on the side that continues going up, so my driveway and front garden goes upwards from the road and the back garden, which is the main garden slopes up away from the town.

I can see your point though. But for added info/entertainment Google ‘hand ba Jedburgh’ and it will maybe explain why I automatically said upslope!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I used to do the cool shower thing before bed until a Spanish girlfriend told me to try hot showering instead. It works a treat and the initial cool contrast of the air after exiting the shower lasts for a while as the bodies blood vessels near the surface of the skin are widened allowing you to give up more body warmth. A whisky before bed has a similar effect and is the main reason you shouldn't give someone alcohol who has hypothermia.
    Cue mass redundancies for St Bernard’s dogs. Hopefully they will get support to retrain and develop other skill sets.

I was going to tell you before you made the post about lying in the arms of MA. Now I am worried

It is a fair question and I guess my rationale is that, there is a river in the middle of the town and everything builds up away from it on either side of the valley. My house is quite high up, so you drive or walk up from the lowest point and then onto a flat street - a terrace I guess technically. My house is on the side that continues going up, so my driveway and front garden goes upwards from the road and the back garden, which is the main garden slopes up away from the town.

I can see your point though. But for added info/entertainment Google ‘hand ba Jedburgh’ and it will maybe explain why I automatically said upslope!
    Finally 🙏

Thank you. Now I can sleep. I'm no longer all of a Quiver.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Cue mass redundancies for St Bernard’s dogs. Hopefully they will get support to retrain and develop other skill sets.
    I've heard they've been outsourced to China, where there's a much bigger market for St Bernard's, Huskies, labradors, poodles and bats.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Finally 🙏

I’d forgotten all about Quiver

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Did she correct his first mistake or lead him into it ?
    Finally 🙏

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I’d forgotten all about Quiver
    To all those that are having whoosh moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G93_uxIBRY
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.