hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying in to this Hibs side - excited

We all love our club and follow them unconditionally but I have a feeling this is a Hibs team we can all really buy in to. Similar to Mowbrays team and Stubbs/Lennon's side before it went a bit Pete Tong. There's characters like big Gogic and Doidge, young Doig, Nisbet and a good manager. Something feels good. Feels like something is brewing. I don't know about you lot but I'm buzzing to get back to Easter Road and cheer them on. Like I said I feel this is a Hibs side we can all buy in to 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We all love our club and follow them unconditionally but I have a feeling this is a Hibs team we can all really buy in to. Similar to Mowbrays team and Stubbs/Lennon's side before it went a bit Pete Tong. There's characters like big Gogic and Doidge, young Doig, Nisbet and a good manager. Something feels good. Feels like something is brewing. I don't know about you lot but I'm buzzing to get back to Easter Road and cheer them on. Like I said I feel this is a Hibs side we can all buy in to 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬
    It makes a difference eh? I've been thinking of the 2000/01 team a bit recently, for the some of the reasons you've mentioned there: characters in the team, a manager with who looks like he has a plan and knows what he's about, a bit of backing to bring in quality players and consistency in team selection so far. I mind having a similar feeling after the first three or four games that year as I do now.

Not getting carried away yet, but its promising and like you say, I have that feeling that its a team we can really get behind.

Agree 100% I really like the spine of our squad, a really solid group and some flair players on top.

Great mix, great characters too. Only the beginning but hopefully we're onto something!

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    It makes a difference eh? I've been thinking of the 2000/01 team a bit recently, for the some of the reasons you've mentioned there: characters in the team, a manager with who looks like he has a plan and knows what he's about, a bit of backing to bring in quality players and consistency in team selection so far. I mind having a similar feeling after the first three or four games that year as I do now.

Not getting carried away yet, but its promising and like you say, I have that feeling that its a team we can really get behind.
    Yeah definitely not getting carried away. We're going to have slip ups but really feel like it's a Hibs team the fans can respond to. Positive signs!

Not going to argue with 3 wins, but attempting to put the green specs to one side, last night's game was awful. We dug in well and ground out a win but entertaining it was not!

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Not going to argue with 3 wins, but attempting to put the green specs to one side, last night's game was awful. We dug in well and ground out a win but entertaining it was not!
    I agree we should put the green specs to one side, however Dundee United were very direct last night, from the number of long balls they played last night their tactics are quite obvious - I honestly don’t think many teams will have an entertaining game against Dundee United.

In games like that we need to scrap for everything, it’s encouraging we showed both the desire and ability to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by granty6_2 View Post
    I agree we should put the green specs to one side, however Dundee United were very direct last night, from the number of long balls they played last night their tactics are quite obvious - I honestly don’t think many teams will have an entertaining game against Dundee United.

In games like that we need to scrap for everything, it’s encouraging we showed both the desire and ability to do so.
    Exactly what I thought. Teams are going to struggle to break Dundee United down with the way they play. We've shown, albeit in only three games, we can win in different ways. Another test awaits against Motherwell.

Winning sides aren't always entertaining week in week out.

Under the circumstances I can accept a few crap games if we're still winning. It's not like Jack Ross's sides so far haven't shown any flair or entertainment, far from it.

Yes, agree with all that. But we did work our way into some decent positions and, especially in the first half, the final ball was usually poor.

I'm encouraged, but a bit off excited at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Winning sides aren't always entertaining week in week out.

Under the circumstances I can accept a few crap games if we're still winning. It's not like Jack Ross's sides so far haven't shown any flair or entertainment, far from it.
    You can accept poor football for one or two seasons if you are winning and are doing well in league and cups any longer and you end up like Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    You can accept poor football for one or two seasons if you are winning and are doing well in league and cups any longer and you end up like Aberdeen.
    I'm not talking about poor football for seasons long, I said a few games here and there.

Jack Ross since joining has clearly shown that more often than not he will have us playing stuff which is good to watch. Compare him and Heckingbottom and it's absolutely night and day.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I think the simple truth about last nights game is that a lot of Hibs teams down the years would have lost it. We showed real character to play against a team that wanted and mostly succeeded in stopping us playing. We dug in, never really looked like losing a goal and scored a belter to win. I think that takes a balanced team to do that. I’m not getting carried away but I kinda agree with the OP, I think this group of players and this manager are worth getting excited about.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Yes, agree with all that. But we did work our way into some decent positions and, especially in the first half, the final ball was usually poor.

I'm encouraged, but a bit off excited at this stage.
    Yup excited is getting urmm a bit excited.

I didn’t see the Livi game so have missed our best performance but the Killie and United games, while good results, were hardly vintage football that got me excited. In fact the second half against Killie was down right awful.

A long way to go before I see us matching some of the swashbuckling teams of yore but considering the circumstances coming into the season and our restricted numbers then more than happy to credit Jack with putting out a solid team that knows what it’s doing.

But pure excitement, naa not yet I’m afraid.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I'm excited. No every game is going to be a flowing masterclass but I'm excited about the potential the team has, the fact we've options and can change the team to adapt to the opposition. Though I know we won't win every game I have regained that feeling where I am looking at each fixture and thinking "aye, we can win that one".

Agree with all of that. What I found particularly pleasing last night was the fact our CH's dealt with everything that was thrown at them. For at least the last 20 minutes of the game I felt they battered us a bit and put loads of balls into the box, despite that (other than a couple of close calls) I never felt like they were going to score.
    I'd have thought in that position this time last year I'd just be waiting on the equaliser going in. We seem to have a different mindset this year. Perhaps it's actually helping without the nervousness from the stands emanating onto the players - or maybe we've just improved significantly in that area.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Three winning games on the bounce, top of the league, young players coming in and making an impact, no goals conceded from open play, defence looking good, strikers scoring, new signings making an impact, the most beautiful green and white strip in a long time. How can you not be excited about that?

Tornados comparison

I, like probably thousands of Hibs supporters on that day in 2016, woke up with a feeling that this felt different and this current Hibs team, even this early in what will no doubt be a long and torturous season, feels different. I go back a long way, to Turnbull’s Tornados, and noting the reference in the media to that team being the last one to win their first three league games made me consider a comparison between the two sides.

Without doing a man for man I would just suggest that we had a great captain and the defence was pretty damn good with at least one world class player in John Brownlie. We also had a world class midfielder in Mickey Edwards and a great strike partnership with Gordon and O’Rourke. When you added Cropley and Arthur Duncan with guile and pace you could see that the ingredients were there.

Jack Ross has shown that he can make decisive tactical changes. Scott Allan could be compared to Edwards except to say that Edwards appeared to be a fully formed genius of a player as anyone who recalls his debut for Dunfermline would testify, whilst Allan seems to still be developing.

We have won our last three games by a real combination of hard work, discipline, tactical nous, flair and what seems like a developing sense of working as a team.

The great Tornados failed to win the league and there are many who recall the misfortunes, injuries and downright bias they faced but this team perhaps has a more level playing field. So who knows? What I will say is that it definitely feels different

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Agree with all of that. What I found particularly pleasing last night was the fact our CH's dealt with everything that was thrown at them. For at least the last 20 minutes of the game I felt they battered us a bit and put loads of balls into the box, despite that (other than a couple of close calls) I never felt like they were going to score.
    I'd have thought in that position this time last year I'd just be waiting on the equaliser going in. We seem to have a different mindset this year. Perhaps it's actually helping without the nervousness from the stands emanating onto the players - or maybe we've just improved significantly in that area.
    Another difference from last season is perhaps improved luck, maybe you make your own luck who knows. Doig could have been offside for our goal but I think that would have been harsh and no one has seen an inline view of it, other than the linesmen and he didn't notice anything. You can understand why when you follow the path the ball took. We were wiser than we have been in the past for example their best chance, the volley, Porteous did enough to put him off balance for the volley. If that had been on target I think it's in. However, over all I think most people would have noticed, even if chances were even, that we looked more the accomplished side with faith and confidence higher than theirs too.

Agreed, we need another midfielder that can really grab the game by the scuff of the neck and dictate play. if not drive the team forward. Docherty would be good for this but I see hes tempted by Hull City at the moment. They are now league 1 so will have to comply with the salary cap and maybe we can offer a decent wage to complete...

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Few more players to add some depth but overall the squad is in good shape.

Totally agree, but these were the games Hibs of old would lose or draw. I was pleased to see a bit of steel in the side and after getting the goal, seeing the game out.

Not pretty but not for the want of trying either. A very good result.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Im excited.
    Think i Will combust if we win again at the weekend.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Three winning games on the bounce, top of the league, young players coming in and making an impact, no goals conceded from open play, defence looking good, strikers scoring, new signings making an impact, the most beautiful green and white strip in a long time. How can you not be excited about that?
    👌🏽

This will be the hardest season Celtic have faced in 10 years..

Can we win 3 or 4 OF games this season?

Pre season vs Celtic we looked way off. But Ross really appears to have managed to get us defending really well as a team and great on counter- which also suits OF games.

Who knows! 5000-1 anyone?!

Can’t argue about the start but Motherwell this Saturday is a massive test. We’ve played hard, stuffy sort of teams this season and whilst Motherwell have that too they have plenty players that can threaten us so will be interesting to see how we cope.

Would like to see us controlling more of the game however I think Ross is quite content at times with us not having the ball as were very threatening on the counter with our speed and ability.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I got told a stat earlier by my brother (good chance he got it here so apologies if I’ve stole it off somebody!) but Doidge and Nesbit have scored 95 goals between them in the last 2 seasons + 3 games this season.

That’s utterly incredible and reason enough to be excited in itself. Throw in an exciting 18 year old, a new hard man in the middle and Boyle and we’ve plenty to be excited about

One thing I like about this team is there are no freeloaders such as Flo.All of the team are working flat out .
    The two up front put themselves about and of course they score goals.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    This will be the hardest season Celtic have faced in 10 years..

Can we win 3 or 4 OF games this season?

Pre season vs Celtic we looked way off. But Ross really appears to have managed to get us defending really well as a team and great on counter- which also suits OF games.

Who knows! 5000-1 anyone?!
    It was Hibs Reserves v Celtic Reserves with a few first team players so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky Bet top 3 finish:

Hibs 3/2
    Aberdeen 5/4
    Motherwell 12/1
    Kilmarnock 18/1

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Im excited.
    Think i Will combust if we win again at the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    Sky Bet top 3 finish:

Hibs 3/2
    Aberdeen 5/4
    Motherwell 12/1
    Kilmarnock 18/1
    That is a very short price however we could be at least 12 points clear of Aberdeen by the time they restart. That is an awful long way back even with three games in hand.