hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dont you know that Hibs fans are unique in being the only ones to get restless when they see their team drop 10 yards to defend a 1 goal lead?

Hibs fans = bad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was a weird question then and it’s not any less weird now.
    I don't think the question is that weird, if we keep winning games by close margins it could be a sign that without fans getting nervous and reacting negatively the team performs to it's capabilities however the problem is unless the players came out and specifically said it then it's impossible to prove. Some of our support could definitely do with keeping the head a bit when the players are up against it.

First Team Regular
    I think there may well be in certain games, like nervy last five minutes for example.

But there is a flip side to that, that we might find it harder to build momentum and pressure if we are behind with 10 to go.

I think lack of crowds will make small differences, but it wont be to anyone's particular advantage, it will change depending on circumstances.

Also wonder if fewer bookings will happen?

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I don't think the question is that weird, if we keep winning games by close margins it could be a sign that without fans getting nervous and reacting negatively the team performs to it's capabilities however the problem is unless the players came out and specifically said it then it's impossible to prove. Some of our support could definitely do with keeping the head a bit when the players are up against it.
    I remember years ago Butcher mentioning on the radio that when he brought ICT down the road Hibs fans sometimes took the pressure off his own players a bit as they were busy getting on the backs of their own :-/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

From a tactical and communication point of view several coaches and managers have said it makes it easier to relay messages out to players in the current climate, so there are practical benefits to having empty stadia it seems.

The Hibs support has always been quick to criticise and get on players backs as long as I have been going to Easter Road, some folks ain't happy if they don't have something to moan and shout about it seems.

Maybe not having the boo boys at the stadium targeting their player of choice this season for 90 minutes is actually a help? Who'd have thought it!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs on the telly?
    You’re right, the questions not weird, it’s absurd.

Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs on the telly?
    You’re right, the questions not weird, it’s absurd.
    That wasn't the original question though! It was are we benefiting from having no fans at games, not are we happy watching Hibs on the telly forever.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I started a similar thread after the opening day win over Killie.

Question: Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs playing on TV with no crowds if they kept winning?
    I'll stay away for as long as we keep winning games!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    I remember years ago Butcher mentioning on the radio that when he brought ICT down the road Hibs fans sometimes took the pressure off his own players a bit as they were busy getting on the backs of their own :-/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    That was a pretty dark period for us though, any clubs fans would be the same. If you take Saturdays game as an example, 3 wins on the bounce, the club and fans all on a high, we would have a big crowd roaring the team on. To not have that is a big advantage to Motherwell.

United we stand here....

On fans not being there Jack Ross has said previously that he and his players get so engrossed in the game that they forget we're not there. He is a manager that will have had his share of boo boys so they weren't exactly the comments of someone relieved to have no fans.

Fans will get negative at the right time. It's a fact of life in football. If a poor defence is inviting attacks or a stubborn manager wont change things we'll react. It is less of an issue if you have a good manager managing a good team. The only things that really influence results are the actions on the park.

Currently we have a good manager managing some good players. That is the reason for our good start. Not the lack of fans. I doubt Heckingbottom would have fared any better last year behind closed doors with his style and his players. That wasn't negative fans at work I'm damn sure of that.

I reckon as a fan base we'd have got nervous at the end of the Dundee Utd. game - of course we would- but it would have made no difference. The team had that one. They were good.

This is a good group and they will continue to be when we're allowed back to see them.

Not sure it’s made that much of a difference. Ourselves and Ross County seem to be well up for the games and well prepared. Teams like Hamilton etc seem to be in pre season mode. If it is helping though long may it continue.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    That wasn't the original question though! It was are we benefiting from having no fans at games, not are we happy watching Hibs on the telly forever.
    You’re right about the original question however then this was put forward:

Question: Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs playing on TV with no crowds if they kept winning?

And “no” should always be the answer to that

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If we were guaranteed to keep winning without fans then I think I could cope with not going back!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    It was exactly the question asked in the post I quoted. Read it again my man. You’ll find the original remark in post #23. That’s the bit I’m finding weird, improbable and very daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Think about that. You go on holiday abroad or take that long awaited trip to Old Trafford. Miss a couple of games and Hibs win them both unexpectedly. Would superstition keep you away from the 3rd game? Away fan reaction never lost Hibs a game at Tannadice or Livingston. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    You’re right about the original question however then this was put forward:

And “no” should always be the answer to that
    I'd quite happily watch hibs win the scottish cup twice in one season, with the league title in the bag, before lifting the champions league trophy... so yes, I'll take one for the team and only watch them on the tele!

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    I'd quite happily watch hibs win the scottish cup twice in one season, with the league title in the bag, before lifting the champions league trophy... so yes, I'll take one for the team and only watch them on the tele!
    You took a ridiculous notion too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Agreed. We're not in the Champions League this season so it'll have to wait a year.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Tbf it was in retaliation vs people not having enough fun with the question!

It was a light hearted, clearly hypothetical question which in my opinion was jumped on.

First Team Breakthrough Spender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I do think it may be. Hopefully fans will be watching things at the moment and seeing the benefits of keeping cool when things go wrong. Maybe even staying til the end!
    Who do you mean 'staying to the end" lol

Left by mutual consent!

It was a light hearted, clearly hypothetical question which in my opinion was jumped on.
    Spot on.

How about the club goes further, sells ER for housing and relocates to a simple, four-walled football arena. The walls could be utilised to generate TV advertising income. Meanwhile we can all sit back in comfort at home and watch Hibs (unhindered by edgy fans) winning week in, week out

Spot on.

How about the club goes further, sells ER for housing and relocates to a simple, four-walled football arena. The walls could be utilised to generate TV advertising income. Meanwhile we can all sit back in comfort at home and watch Hibs (unhindered by edgy fans) winning week in, week out
    Haha I watched about 30 seconds of the NBA earlier tonight... Clippers game? And they have video screens/walls all the way around the court with fans watching live. Ron will be all over this! 😆

Didn’t sound that way if I’m honest, sounded clear in an anal analytical way like a lot of things tend to from the man asking. Weird.

Spot on.

Why didn’t you use the old “clearly hypothetical“ angle stuff with your bait?

People out there believe Hibernian is a better thing with no spectators as we all make it really bad, and is something best left to the telly as we have won three games mum.
    Just like it is supporting somebody like Brazil or Boca or Australian teams and that.
    Or Basketball. Or the moon.
    As Bad Martini used to say...END OF.

Didn’t sound that way if I’m honest, sounded clear in an anal analytical way like a lot of things tend to from the man asking. Weird.
    Fairs do's tbh I'm not usually paying enough attention most of the time to work out posters trends!

Left by mutual consent!
    Flip side of the debate yesterday. Could we have done with the fans there to kick-start us into action and roar us to victory?

Or would having fans there have seen us lose the game as they boo-ed the sub-standard performance and unnerved the players?

We'll never know of course, although it's probably fair to say that 'home' advantage may prove to count for less this season if crowds continue to be kept away. It'll be interesting to see how clubs' home and away records compare.

Flip side of the debate yesterday. Could we have done with the fans there to kick-start us into action and roar us to victory?

Or would having fans there have seen us lose the game as they boo-ed the sub-standard performance and unnerved the players?

We'll never know of course, although it's probably fair to say that 'home' advantage may prove to count for less this season if crowds continue to be kept away. It'll be interesting to see how clubs' home and away records compare.
    I commented on Saturday that the fans would've been encouraging the team forward to try for a winner in the last 10 mins, when it kind of looked like we were happy with a point. Of course, you're right to ask whether the crowd's nerves may have transferred to the team and we'd have lost a goal near the end! We'll never know, but I like to think that, with the team shooting 'down the slope' so to speak, the backing of the fans would have seen us put 'Well under more pressure in the latter stages.