hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

Are we benefiting from no fans?

Strikes me that the last 10 minutes against Killie and last night, the fans nerves & tension may well have influenced the performance. Is having no fans actually helping, especially the likes of Doig?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think there might have been a thread like this already?

I don’t think so to be honest especially away from home. Our away support is very good and an advantage. If crowds were allowed I would imagine 18500/19000 on sat

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies, can’t see anything on the first page.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    What did it say?

I do think it may be. Hopefully fans will be watching things at the moment and seeing the benefits of keeping cool when things go wrong. Maybe even staying til the end!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    No, it’s the same for all teams. The fans are more likely to cheer us on to victory, we’ve had two away games where the nervousness of fans wouldn’t have been a factor.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    No, it’s the same for all teams. The fans are more likely to cheer us on to victory, we’ve had two away games where the nervousness of fans wouldn’t have been a factor.
    There was a study of German (and possibly English) games which suggested teams lost home advantage though. But this was due to the home fans not having an influence on referee decisions.

So might be a while before the Huns get 4 penalties at Ibrox.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    There was a study of German (and possibly English) games which suggested teams lost home advantage though. But this was due to the home fans not having an influence on referee decisions.

Not a chance!!!!

I think so. We have a habit of signing talented players who are inconsistent and that inconsistency probably has something to do with mentality and that playing without lots of boos and shouts probably helps that mentality.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    What did it say?
    Same thing as this one...

Glad we are winning but still think there's a lot of room for improvement performance-wise. I feel like home fans but could improve that but away from home it might go the other way.

I agree, but the op is basically saying that being at home with fans is a disadvantage for us as the players can’t handle fans getting nervous towards the end of games.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    I don’t think so to be honest especially away from home. Our away support is very good and an advantage. If crowds were allowed I would imagine 18500/19000 on sat
    At Livi we often outnumber the home support many times over. That support can be quite quiet and expectant of victory at a tough venue. We’ve taken a few big supports to Tannadice in the past too.

Not sure we’re any different to any other support but a big Hibs crowd can be difficult - home of away - when things aren’t going our way.

I’m not sure we weren’t better off in an empty ground.

Man Utd believe that their young players have thrived in the empty grounds.

We are not benefiting at all from having no fans. Getting these results with no fans is coincidental. We'd have got the same results with fans in attendance because the results come from the hard work that the club and the players have put in. We've recruited well and Ross prepares well and we were ready to put these results down.

I feel sad for the players that they are getting these good results and don't have the crowd to play to. Hopefully it wont be long before we're all back in it together.

Quite possibly. I've said before that a Hibs player needs to have the mental strength to deal with the fans getting on their back because it's going to happen. Part and parcel of being at a big club where demands are higher. I think that mental strength has been missing somewhat. You can have all the ability in the world but if you fall apart when the crowd get edgy you won't make it at Hibs.
    Last edited by Since452; 12-08-2020 at 09:33 AM.

I agree, but the op is basically saying that being at home with fans is a disadvantage for us as the players can’t handle fans getting nervous towards the end of games.
    Well I remember another article, can't remember who the player was, it may have been a secret footballer thing, where the player was saying their manager said at Easter Road get in Hibe faces from the off. Apparently at that time we had a reputation amongst other teams of getting on the players backs quickly. This was when we were **** though.

I'd say the answer is yes and no. It depends on the player. Some players say they don't notice the noise from the stands, others say it does have an impact.

If we're going to continue with this winning run, I'll happily stay away for as long as it takes!

Well I remember another article, can't remember who the player was, it may have been a secret footballer thing, where the player was saying their manager said at Easter Road get in Hibe faces from the off. Apparently at that time we had a reputation amongst other teams of getting on the players backs quickly. This was when we were **** though.

I'd say the answer is yes and no. It depends on the player. Some players say they don't notice the noise from the stands, others say it does have an impact.
    I remember that as well, but it’s only really one side of the story. At times the crowd can lift the players especially when we’re on a good run, the crowd at Easter Road isn’t any more critical or nervous than the crowd anywhere else, so I’d say we’re not benefiting from there being no crowds at games.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Notice St Mirren should have had a pen at Ibrox on Sunday ironically by the same ref who did give 4 pens to Rangers in the same fixture previously.

No I’m not. I’m asking the question and mentioned 2 games, one home and one away. There’s no definitive answer , of course but thought it was worthy of discussion.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    No I’m not. I’m asking the question and mentioned 2 games, one home and one away. There’s no definitive answer , of course but thought it was worthy of discussion.
    I've been wondering the same thing. It's definitely worth discussing but, with as you say no definitive answer, not worth getting too entrenched over.

Left by mutual consent!
    I started a similar thread after the opening day win over Killie.

Question: Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs playing on TV with no crowds if they kept winning?

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

Question: Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs playing on TV with no crowds if they kept winning?
    I already do with our women's team.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Strikes me that the last 10 minutes against Killie and last night, the fans nerves & tension may well have influenced the performance. Is having no fans actually helping, especially the likes of Doig?
    Yeah, our fans are toxic

If it's helping Hibs in such situations then it's helping everyone.

Contrary to popular belief our fans are no worse in a tense last 5 minutes than any other set of fans.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff

No thanks.

Definitely not.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

It was a weird question then and it’s not any less weird now.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Quite possibly. I've said before that a Hibs player needs to have the mental strength to deal with the fans getting on their back because it's going to happen. Part and parcel of being at a big club where demands are higher. I think that mental strength has been missing somewhat. You can have all the ability in the world but if you fall apart when the crowd get edgy you won't make it at Hibs.
    This 100%