Three games, three wins, nine points and all gained in a different fashion. Against Killie we had a two goal lead and were pegged back to 2-1 following a wonder strike. Killie enjoyed the bulk of possession for the remainder of the game but the three points never looked in danger.

Against Livi we started on the front foot and pretty much stayed there throughout. We bossed the midfield, defended well and caused lots of problems with our attacking play. Against United we went with the same starting eleven, never looked in danger and won the points with a smashing goal by big Doidge.

This is a Hibs team that seems capable of adapting to suit a situation and so far that has worked very much in our favour. It wasn’t pretty at any point but it was effective.

The first half was a dull affair with little to enthuse about and the main talking point being the clash of heads between Robson and McGinn. I heard Micky Mellon’s post match interview and he was complaining about Robson’s yellow card. To me it was a stick on caution as Robson arrived at pace and aggressively and even supposing he hadn’t had to go off he was on a yellow regardless.

The second half started a bit like the first – no decent passages of play and a lot of misplaced passes from both sides. It wasn’t pretty if truth be told but on the hour mark Hibs carved out a chance when Nisbet just couldn’t get enough on the ball from just outside the six yard box. The chance was set up when Boyle used his pace to get down the right and deliver a good cross which Doidge got something on.

Five minutes later and Boyle was involved again. McGinn played a fine ball into the outside right area and Boyle got there ahead of his marker. This time though, he cut inside and fed Gogic who hoisted the ball towards the eighteen yard line. Nisbet got the slightest of touches which took Connolly out of the game and the ball reached Doig who forced it past his marker. Doidge gathered and created the space to send a fine left foot shot high into the net past Siegrist.

Hibs settled after that and went looking for a second but the final ball just wasn’t there. Nisbet hit a shot on target but it was weak and Siegrist collected easily. At the other end, Peter Pawlett should have done better than hooking a shot high over the bar.

The clock ticked down and Hibs never looked in trouble as they held on for three fantastic points. Watching on Sky is never good fun and it’s made all the less enjoyable by the inane comments of Andy Walker who has the skill of stating the bleeding obvious down to a fine art.

The players

Marciano – Rocky had little or nothing to do and I can only really recall him having one save in the game. Distribution dropped below the level of last week’s but I’ll be happy if he’s as busy in future games.

McGinn – Took a really sore one in that head clash but got up, dusted himself off and went on to complete a solid 90 minutes – again.

Porteous – Big Ryan will never have it this easy again. Nicky Clark was woeful and Appere wasn’t much better.

Hanlon – Another good 90 minutes from our captain and it was good to see him pressing Hibs forward on occasions by joining in the build up play.

Doig – The lad had a fine game although it was a bit worrying that Bolton skipped past him on the inside a couple of times. Josh was excellent going forward and seems to have limitless energy.

Boyle – I thought Boyler was quiet for most of the first half but thankfully whatever ailment he needed treatment for didn’t affect him coming on to a good game in the second half.

Newell – Joe was much quieter today and got himself a silly early booking. Later, he had to leave play before the end after a head knock in a challenge with Peter Pawlett.

Gocic – I thought he was quieter today but effective when it counted. He was involved in the move that led to the only goal and his quick thinking in delivering a ball to the edge of the box early was crucial in determining the outcome.

Horgan – Daryl was great against Killie and put in a fine shift today, especially defensively in protecting Doig. I was a little surprised when he was substituted to be honest.

Nisbet – The first half was torture for him as he got little or no service to work from. He got better in the second and once again there were glimpses of a good partnership with Doidge.

Doidge – Like Nisbet he got scraps to work with in the first half but even so he put himself about, coming short, laying off etc. In the second half the service improved and he was a constant thorn in the flesh of United’s central defence.

Allan – Scotty replaced Horgan, Jack Ross hoping his trickery could open up United’s defence. Things didn’t quite work out that way but Scott put a decent shift in physically which I know he’s been criticised for not doing before.

Hallberg – Melker replaced the injured Joe Newell for the last ten minutes or so and played his part in keeping United out.

Man of the match – Horgan was in with a shout; Doidge came close thanks to his winning goal but for me the calmest and most impressive Hibby on the park was Paul McGinn.

Jack Ross – Three out of three must please him enormously.

The fans – I tried to imagine what the feeling would be amongst us had we all been there. I’m pretty sure disappointment until we scored and ramping up to elated at the final whistle.

Don Robertson – I thought he was too quick with yellow cards early in the game and feared that we might be reduced to ten later in the game but thankfully he did ok otherwise and was particularly good with the advantage rule.