hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was just meant to show up below the thread title to explain that the topic had been extensively covered, we're working on it with the providers, and that right now PM membership is the answer for ad free. Obviously that note didn't show up which is a shame, but it's been spoken about now.

There's nothing more interesting about it than that, I'm afraid.
    Lets be honest....you and many others reading that statement's know that's not true. If anyone posts a simple work-around the pop-up thread is immediately closed....only to re-appear elsewhere:-)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    Lets be honest....you and many others reading that statement's know that's not true. If anyone posts a simple work-around the pop-up thread is immediately closed....only to re-appear elsewhere:-)
    No, it is true. If everyone used an alternative way of getting round ads, the site wouldn't exist. They get deleted because obviously a site that relies upon ad revenue to function can't detail ways to avoid ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    No, it is true. If everyone used an alternative way of getting round ads, the site wouldn't exist. They get deleted because obviously a site that relies upon ad revenue to function can't detail ways to avoid ads.
    How much does it cost to run this site per year?

And how does the site pull in from adverts in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post

The income from ads and memberships exceeds the cost of the servers, the excess is all given to Hibs in some form or other. It's well publicised on here.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    I trust our admins to do the right thing, so will leave it at that................

Apart from saying that I don't get the grey bar at the bottom of each page when I click on any other website. Only on Hibs.net do I see that.

Also, I have to open Hibs.net on Chrome as when on MS Edge, I always get redirected to a page that says that my Flash Player needs updated - I believe it to be a scam. I never get that on any other website. Only on Hibs.net.

And finally, I'm getting ads on top of the grey bar ad. Only on Hibs.net.

There's a trend there, admins. If you're talking to your providers, I would ask what's going on.
    I was getting that on other sites, but not on .net - I started a thread about it in the Technical Help board. It seems to be a Microsoft problem rather than a Hibs.net one and it fixed itself with an update that didn't happen automatically. Check your Windows updates for any that haven't taken root.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    All things being equal, everyone should chip in to access the service - its not free after all.
    There's the donation option - £10 per year.
    or ads - £0 per year.

How would you suggest you pay to view hibs.net?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    The income from ads and memberships exceeds the cost of the servers, the excess is all given to Hibs in some form or other. It's well publicised on here.
    As well as the account being filed, returned and available online. Its all quite transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    As well as the account being filed, returned and available online. Its all quite transparent.
    Any chance you could provide a link to this?

Any chance you could provide a link to this?
    https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/d...b8a2194192ec61

Shows a profit of £3 (THREE POUNDS!).

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Dunno if the link is specific to the pc that it was generated on

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...pdf&download=0

Basically its at companies house

All things being equal, everyone should chip in to access the service - its not free after all.
    There's the donation option - £10 per year.
    or ads - £0 per year.

How would you suggest you pay to view hibs.net?
    I don't wish to pay for it.....however, if you want to make a donation that's fine by me.

Dunno if the link is specific to the pc that it was generated on

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...pdf&download=0

Basically its at companies house
    Thanks...much appreciated. I'll look at it later. Got to run for the match i paid good money for.

I don't wish to pay for it.....however, if you want to make a donation that's fine by me.
    If you don't wish to pay for it then you should accept it as it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    If you don't wish to pay for it then you should accept it as it comes.
    I do ....but i don't get the ads.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    If it wasn't for Jonty there wouldn't be a Hibs.net for you to enjoy for free.

He's the only admin that can do all the tech stuff

I do ....but i don't get the ads.
    The comment was directed at everyone really - avoid the ads if you can, if you can't suck it up.

He already pays for his Private Membership as well as putting in countless hours of skilled work for free.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

So you want something but don't want to pay for it?

I normally stay out of these threads as I am always wary that I will end up ranting.

However some of the comments on this and other threads are well below the belt with veiled accusations of profiteering, claims people are being coerced to take out private membership and a total dismissal of the work it takes to keep a site like this online. For balance there have also been many supportive comments and criticism that has been constructive and taken on board.

The facts are it costs a not insignificant sum to keep Hibs.net online. Along with the monthly server costs there are various incidentals which arise from time to time that also need paid for. In addition to those costs we support the club by taking out at least 2 player sponsorships every year, we give away STS, run 1st goalscorer competitions and make sizeable donations to the club on an annual basis which have paid for key pieces of equipment that may otherwise not have been bought or have seen funds redirected from elsewhere. That all costs money.

We have always had adverts and the lack of adverts on the mobile site was an anomaly that has now been rectified. Given that is where a huge chunk of our traffic comes from now that is hardly an unreasonable change to make. We have taken on board constructive comments about the intrusive nature of some ads and continue to work on a solution that satisfies the needs of the site and the user experience.

There are 2 options that have already been covered. An annual subscription of £10 (a price that has not risen in around a decade) to have an ad free site or browse in a way that is free at the point of entry but contributes to revenue through advertising. The £10 charge is not a 'donation' there is a range of perks provided for the money. Either way is absolutely fine and no one needs to feel pressured into paying for a membership they don't wish to. There has to be a trade off though.

As has been said above by myself and others people put a lot of hours into keeping the site online on a voluntary basis. It is no ones full time job so changes take time. We try and will continue to try to keep the experience of the user as positive as possible on the site but ads in some format on both mobile and desktop views are here to stay.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I normally stay out of these threads as I am always wary that I will end up ranting.

However some of the comments on this and other threads are well below the belt with veiled accusations of profiteering, claims people are being coerced to take out private membership and a total dismissal of the work it takes to keep a site like this online. For balance there have also been many supportive comments and criticism that has been constructive and taken on board.

The facts are it costs a not insignificant sum to keep Hibs.net online. Along with the monthly server costs there are various incidentals which arise from time to time that also need paid for. In addition to those costs we support the club by taking out at least 2 player sponsorships every year, we give away STS, run 1st goalscorer competitions and make sizeable donations to the club on an annual basis which have paid for key pieces of equipment that may otherwise not have been bought or have seen funds redirected from elsewhere. That all costs money.

We have always had adverts and the lack of adverts on the mobile site was an anomaly that has now been rectified. Given that is where a huge chunk of our traffic comes from now that is hardly an unreasonable change to make. We have taken on board constructive comments about the intrusive nature of some ads and continue to work on a solution that satisfies the needs of the site and the user experience.

There are 2 options that have already been covered. An annual subscription of £10 (a price that has not risen in around a decade) to have an ad free site or browse in a way that is free at the point of entry but contributes to revenue through advertising. The £10 charge is not a 'donation' there is a range of perks provided for the money. Either way is absolutely fine and no one needs to feel pressured into paying for a membership they don't wish to. There has to be a trade off though.

As has been said above by myself and others people put a lot of hours into keeping the site online on a voluntary basis. It is no ones full time job so changes take time. We try and will continue to try to keep the experience of the user as positive as possible on the site but ads in some format on both mobile and desktop views are here to stay.
    Very well said, PB. To all .net users, even if you only post intermittently, surely a tenner per year makes it worthwhile, in order to keep the site running. In fact, even if you only read the site for your Hibs news, you are still part of the .net community. As said above, it's three pence per day! Everyone stick your tenner in, help the site and Hibs, and also avoid the ads when you're here.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Thanks...much appreciated. I'll look at it later. Got to run for the match i paid good money for.
    Tragic patter, what an inane contribution.

Bottom line, pay a tenner and support the site and Hibs, otherwise gie it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Tragic patter, what an inane contribution.

Bottom line, pay a tenner and support the site and Hibs, otherwise gie it a rest.
    Yep, that's the top and bottom of it. I don't see how anyone can complain about a tenner per year: two pints, the price of a taxi etc. Massive value for three pence per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Excellent post. It’s so easy to forget that .net and all the mods are volunteers. Same applies to HSL.

These guys are doing a great job.

Mind you, if I don’t get Blissy Pillowcases as a gift, I swear I’ll do time.

Ok the ads are a pain but I'm not going to moan about them as they fund the site.

To the admins and techies...keep up the good work. (does that convert my next yellow card to a waggy finger? )

Post Edited: Not something we want to encourage considering the ads help to fund the site
    Last edited by Jay; 12-08-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Ok the ads are a pain but I'm not going to moan about them as they fund the site.

To the admins and techies...keep up the good work. (does that convert my next yellow card to a waggy finger? [/B])
    Naw, pay your tenner!
    Last edited by Jay; 12-08-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post

To the admins and techies...keep up the good work. (does that convert my next yellow card to a waggy finger? )
    I've never had a yellow card or a warning and I still had to pay for the PM board. Ungrateful Admin *******

Last edited by Jay; 12-08-2020 at 09:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member

Far too many adverts

I saw a thread not long ago saying exactly the same thing - complaining about the sudden OTT proliferation of adverts on Hibs.net. The response from the admins at the time was along the lines of "we are just trying things out" - so, like most folk I thought - play along for a bit and let the admins test things out a bit.

Well - you've tried them out now - they are crap - annoying - irritating in the extreme! So how about scaling them back now?!?

The ones at the bottom that pop up on every click are the most infuriating. PLEASE do away with them!

I don't get any.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I saw a thread not long ago saying exactly the same thing - complaining about the sudden OTT proliferation of adverts on Hibs.net. The response from the admins at the time was along the lines of "we are just trying things out" - so, like most folk I thought - play along for a bit and let the admins test things out a bit.

Well - you've tried them out now - they are crap - annoying - irritating in the extreme! So how about scaling them back now?!?

The ones at the bottom that pop up on every click are the most infuriating. PLEASE do away with them!
    Pay £10 for a membership and you won’t have any adverts. You must be accessing the site for free so that’s why you’re getting adverts.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I don't get any.
    Are you a PM?