hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Pop up thread closed

Pop up thread closed

Why was this thread closed ?

I agree with OP these ads are horrendous, intrusive and appear to be getting worse

They definitely spoil your online experience and puts you off visiting the site

By the way I am a PM but they appear when I casually browse the site on my mobile when I am out and about and I have to login to lose them

Any feedback from admins re making the site more user friendly would be welcome as I appreciate you were working behind the scenes on this issue

2. Log in to remove the advert

Appears the admins won't be hearing the complaints anymore. Its either pony up or suck it up.

3 - 2 - 1....

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    And with PM fees set at 83p per month (that’s nearly 3p every single day!) it’s clear that there’s a profiteering racket going on at .net.

Ads on a free site? Whoda thought it?

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I just don’t get the complaints about this. If you use any website you get ads, usually intrusive and usually annoying. You tube is a prime example. Since google bought you tube the ads have been a nightmare. I have a straight choice, I put up with the ads in order to pay for my use of the site or I sign up to premium and get rid of the ads. Spotify is a decent streaming service for your music, you use it without paying for it then expect an ad every few songs. If you don’t like the ads you pay a monthly sub and get rid.
    £10 a yea is great value to browse this site without ads. If you don’t want to or can’t pay it then you need to put up with the ads or stop using the site if they annoy you that much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pop up thread closed

Why was this thread closed ?

I agree with OP these ads are horrendous, intrusive and appear to be getting worse

They definitely spoil your online experience and puts you off visiting the site

By the way I am a PM but they appear when I casually browse the site on my mobile when I am out and about and I have to login to lose them

Any feedback from admins re making the site more user friendly would be welcome as I appreciate you were working behind the scenes on this issue
    The admin team have given plenty feedback on the many other threads which have popped up.

We are currently discussing this with our suppliers and working towards a balanced solution.

There really is no need for any more threads on this. We are well aware of the issues.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    I just don’t get the complaints about this. If you use any website you get ads, usually intrusive and usually annoying. You tube is a prime example. Since google bought you tube the ads have been a nightmare. I have a straight choice, I put up with the ads in order to pay for my use of the site or I sign up to premium and get rid of the ads. Spotify is a decent streaming service for your music, you use it without paying for it then expect an ad every few songs. If you don’t like the ads you pay a monthly sub and get rid.
    £10 a yea is great value to browse this site without ads. If you don’t want to or can’t pay it then you need to put up with the ads or stop using the site if they annoy you that much.
    Agree I am a private member and have no issue with £10 per annum worth every penny in my view

It used to be that my mobile was set to go straight into the site no problem but now I have to log in once again no big deal

The frequency and the amount of ads started to piss me off and I found myself manually cancelling all the ads through google which was becoming exhausting and time wasting only to reappear five minutes later

It got me thinking how a guest must feel viewing our site?

Would it put them off visiting ?

Is footfall on the site down ?

The ads are definitely more frequent and intrusive than say YouTube or the Daily Mail

I suppose it is simple for me to login but an update from an admin on this annoying issue would be welcome

If this is it and the best it is going to be fair enough

It is what it is

Only looking for clarification?

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    The admin team have given plenty feedback on the many other threads which have popped up.

We are currently discussing this with our suppliers and working towards a balanced solution.

There really is no need for any more threads on this. We are well aware of the issues.
    Fair enough

I suppose my issue was why the ‘pop up’ thread was closed without explanation ?

Best of luck finding a solution

It's also worth pointing out that all excess cash is donated to the club so in effect you are actually donating your tenner to Hibs.

My original point was that EVERY time I went to write something pop ups intruded on to my screen. THEN I can't see my script without knocking the pop up off and then it appears again.This is my last post. To hang with this guff.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    It's also worth pointing out that all excess cash is donated to the club so in effect you are actually donating your tenner to Hibs.
    That makes it worse for me. I had hoped my cash went to an Illuminati Admin elite to spend on their high roller lifestyles but now I find it’s being frittered away on a club.

Ten squid and its sorted. Simples. As an side, YouTube ads drive me crazy. They are varying them just to annoy me.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    For a tenner a year problem solved. I didn't even know there are pop up ads, as I've never seen one. A chance to make a wee contribution to the site and solve an annoying problem
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Agree I am a private member and have no issue with £10 per annum worth every penny in my view

It used to be that my mobile was set to go straight into the site no problem but now I have to log in once again no big deal

The frequency and the amount of ads started to piss me off and I found myself manually cancelling all the ads through google which was becoming exhausting and time wasting only to reappear five minutes later

It got me thinking how a guest must feel viewing our site?

Would it put them off visiting ?

Is footfall on the site down ?

The ads are definitely more frequent and intrusive than say YouTube or the Daily Mail

I suppose it is simple for me to login but an update from an admin on this annoying issue would be welcome

If this is it and the best it is going to be fair enough

It is what it is

Only looking for clarification?
    You raise a few interesting questions there Billy and I’m sure the site management have thought of these and they will know the exact numbers in terms of footfall onto the site. You’d need to assume, given we don’t know the numbers, that they are doing what’s best for the site, if that means slightly less people looking at it but increased revenue, or some other analytics, I trust those in charge to manage it properly. Ads are never going to be liked by site users but it is a fact of modern life, if you want access to something for free you’ll almost certainly be subject to that sites ads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    You raise a few interesting questions there Billy and I’m sure the site management have thought of these and they will know the exact numbers in terms of footfall onto the site. You’d need to assume, given we don’t know the numbers, that they are doing what’s best for the site, if that means slightly less people looking at it but increased revenue, or some other analytics, I trust those in charge to manage it properly. Ads are never going to be liked by site users but it is a fact of modern life, if you want access to something for free you’ll almost certainly be subject to that sites ads.
    Agree with all of that and hopefully in time it is resolved to an acceptable happy medium

My gripe was that a thread asking a perfectly acceptable question was closed without explanation

Just noticed that the OP has just resigned from the site- quite right IMO
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 11-08-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Agree with all of that and hopefully in time it is resolved to an acceptable happy medium

My gripe was that a thread asking a perfectly acceptable question was closed without explanation

Just noticed that the OP has just resigned from the site- quite right IMO
    Who was the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Who was the OP?
    Me!

No the OP from the original thread

@hibs.net private member
    I now pay the £10 but the ads continuously appear on the initial screen, every time.

Also, why can a thread be discontinued without an explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I now pay the £10 but the ads continuously appear on the initial screen, every time.

Why don't you PM an admin and they will sort this for you?

That'd be because you're not logged in at the initial screen.

A reason was left in the notes but didn't show up. Threads aren't closed without reason. It's even been explained on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    That'd be because you're not logged in at the initial screen.

A reason was left in the notes but didn't show up. Threads aren't closed without reason. It's even been explained on this thread.
    What notes?

Is that the admin notes?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post

Maybe a sticky post to save more threads?

Left by mutual consent!

When you log in make sure you tick the box to keep you logged in. Then there will be no adds.

I trust our admins to do the right thing, so will leave it at that................

Apart from saying that I don't get the grey bar at the bottom of each page when I click on any other website. Only on Hibs.net do I see that.

Also, I have to open Hibs.net on Chrome as when on MS Edge, I always get redirected to a page that says that my Flash Player needs updated - I believe it to be a scam. I never get that on any other website. Only on Hibs.net.

And finally, I'm getting ads on top of the grey bar ad. Only on Hibs.net.

There's a trend there, admins. If you're talking to your providers, I would ask what's going on.

What notes?

Is that the admin notes?
    It was just meant to show up below the thread title to explain that the topic had been extensively covered, we're working on it with the providers, and that right now PM membership is the answer for ad free. Obviously that note didn't show up which is a shame, but it's been spoken about now.

There's nothing more interesting about it than that, I'm afraid.

@hibs.net private member
    Im spending 3p today to access this site, read all the hysterics, AND donating money to the cabbage.

3p.

Tremendous value.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 8 7 5 View Post
    Im spending 3p today to access this site, read all the hysterics, AND donating money to the cabbage.

3p.

Tremendous value.
    Nail on the head
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Change the style to Lite. You don't get any ads at all.

Can someone help me please, I go on here with my mobile and have just got used to the ads. I pressed a button at the bottom of the page which might be the lite style which looks like desktop version.

How do I get it back to mobile?

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Can someone help me please, I go on here with my mobile and have just got used to the ads. I pressed a button at the bottom of the page which might be the lite style which looks like desktop version.

How do I get it back to mobile?
    There’s a drop down menu at the bottom left corner. Choose the lite version and that will get you back to the mobile site

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    There’s a drop down menu at the bottom left corner. Choose the lite version and that will get you back to the mobile site
    Thank you so much.