hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Livingston 08082020)

Game 2 in the league saw Hibs and me both in Livingston. Hibs to face the home team whilst I visited my brother to watch the game online. I’ll be honest and say I had optimistically predicted a score draw, given Livi’s excellent home record, their disaster of a pitch and the wobbly bits of our winning performance last week. I couldn’t have been more wrong as a fabulous performance saw Hibs run out 4-1 winners.

The early exchanges were pretty even but Hibs defended well whilst at the other end a couple of half chances were squandered due to poor decision making or weak efforts at goal. Everything changed after twenty five minutes when a super piece of play by Daryl Horgan saw him deliver a low and hard cross into the Livi six yard area. Showing his prowess at losing his marker, Kevin Nisbet was on hand to stroke the ball home from close range. In truth that had been coming as Hibs were forcing the issue by being strong and resolute at the back and controlling in midfield.

Around ten minutes later Josh Doig strode forward in midfield before laying the ball off to Horgan. The wee man jinked left and right before sending over a sumptuous cross into the middle where Nisbet leapt high above John Guthrie to send a header goalwards. McCrorie in the Livi goal got a hand to it but couldn’t keep the ball out of the net, meaning Nisbet’s efforts had secured a two goal lead.

Our defenders continued to deny Livi a sight at goal and it was very noticeable that very few crosses were coming in from wide areas. This was due in part to the sterling work of Boyle and in particular Horgan in carrying out their defensive duties. Those crosses that did come into the box were met with Marciano collecting them or the heads of Hanlon, Porteous and McGinn heading clear. Young Josh Doig was particularly impressive for one so young and his reading of the game was excellent when denying Pittman the chance to cross with Hanlon and Porteous slightly out of position.

Half time was approaching when Hibs nabbed a third. A corner from Joe Newall was headed goalwards and as Hanlon went to make contact he was bowled over. It looked a penalty all the way but referee Euan Anderson didn’t oblige. Thankfully, Hibs played to the whistle and Porteous drove the ball towards goal where it was deflected into the path of Christian Doidge who knocked the ball in from close range.

It was more than I could have hoped for in securing a 3-0 lead after 45 minutes and at the break we speculated as to how Hibs might play in the second. Jack Ross, unfairly in my view, took a fair bit of criticism following the Killie game with some suggesting he’d set up the team not to concede rather than having them push on for another goal.

In the opening minute of the half, Marciano saved comfortably from Pittman before Martin Boyle really should have made it 4-0 when he passed up an excellent chance to score by trying instead to feed Nisbet and losing possession in the process.

On the hour mark, Euan Anderson decided that a push on Poplatnik by Ryan Porteous merited the awarding of a penalty kick. Two things spring to mind here. Firstly, the push looked identical to the one on Hanlon prior to our third goal and yet Paul got no penalty awarded to him. Secondly, I was a tad miffed with Porteous for making the challenge as no danger to our goal existed. Lyndon Dykes easily beat Marciano to make it 3-1 and for a short spell Livi enjoyed more possession without really causing Hibs any problems.

Hibs played out the match with relative ease and even managed a fourth goal near the end when Marvin Bartley fouled Hallberg in the 18 yard area and Kevin Nisbet stepped up to score, claiming the match ball in the process.

The players

Marciano – I actually thought Rocky’s distribution was excellent today, especially throwing overarm to set our wide men away. His kicking was better too and you wonder if this is anything to do with the fact that he’s working with a new coach.

McGinn – I honestly feel that he goes under the radar at times with his fellow defenders drawing rightful praise. McGinn is a good, solid professional and he was first class today.

Porteous – Ryan had a great game but I have to mention his role in the awarding of a penalty against us. Whether it’s youth or simply of experience that causes these daft moments I do not know but on the plus side and that one moment apart he defended exceptionally well.

Hanlon – This was a real captain’s performance today. He was at his very best in both leading the side and in reading the play. Lyndon Dykes can be a handful but in that clash, Paul emerged street’s ahead. Took a sore one from Bartley but thankfully he was able to continue.

Doig – This young lad is going to be a leading light in the months and years to come. Josh plays with a maturity that others of his age may lack and his ability to get up and down the park is admirable.

Boyle – Martin was hardly involved in the early parts of the game, at least in an attacking sense that is. After we scored our first he came more and more into the picture but still lapsed into not lifting his head on a couple of occasions.

Gocic – I truly believe we have won a watch here. The lad was everywhere at once and proved that his game is not just about physicality. A number of excellent passes and a fair few occasions at breaking up the play resulted in a top performance.

Newall – Joe is so calm in possession and makes things look easy at times. Deployed in his best position he is a real asset to the side and many of his deliveries were right on the button.

Horgan – I’ve been very critical of Daryl in the past but for me, today was his best performance in a Hibs shirt. Added to his two assists was a willingness to assist young Doig whilst defending.

Doidge – I caught Richard Gordon stifling a laugh when describing Christian’s goal today. It’s what I’ve come to expect from Gordon but as long as the big fella is scoring I couldn’t give a toss which part of his body the ball hits last. His overall play was superb both in an attacking and a defending sense so maybe Mr. Gordon could be a little more gracious in future.

Nisbet – Partick released him so, by his own admission he screwed the nut and scored for fun in joining Raith Rovers. His move to Dunfermline drew remarks that the step up in grade might be too much. He scored for fun with Dunfermline. He’s joined Hibs and the same doubters queried whether he could step up. A hat trick today and an almost instant partnership with Doidge will maybe have the doubters, doubting their own words. There were a good few in contention for my man of the match but it has to go to Kevin for his goals and his all round performance.

Hallberg – replaced Horgan and played a bit further forward than he has done for Hibs in the past and that was referenced by the fact it was him that Bartley felled in the box to allow Kev to claim his hat trick.

Gullan – Only got a couple of minutes and had no real chance to influence the outcome.

Jack Ross – Apparently his face was tripping him at the pre match press conference. At 3-0 up the camera showed a dour looking Jack Ross on the bench. Maybe that look is because he is focussed 100% on his job, rather than any other spurios suggestions.

The fans – It is torture watching on TV, especially when I was only a mile or so from the ground but winning and winning well helped ease the frustration.

Euan Anderson – I was baffled but not surprised at his interpretation of what constitutes a penalty but even more baffled by his leniency towards Marvin Bartley. I love big Marv but he could and should have been shown red for that challenge on Hanlon. He got a yellow and should have had a second for fouling Hallberg for the Hibs penalty.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

👍 superb report as per. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Game 2 in the league saw Hibs and me both in Livingston. Hibs to face the home team whilst I visited my brother to watch the game online. I’ll be honest and say I had optimistically predicted a score draw, given Livi’s excellent home record, their disaster of a pitch and the wobbly bits of our winning performance last week. I couldn’t have been more wrong as a fabulous performance saw Hibs run out 4-1 winners.

The early exchanges were pretty even but Hibs defended well whilst at the other end a couple of half chances were squandered due to poor decision making or weak efforts at goal. Everything changed after twenty five minutes when a super piece of play by Daryl Horgan saw him deliver a low and hard cross into the Livi six yard area. Showing his prowess at losing his marker, Kevin Nisbet was on hand to stroke the ball home from close range. In truth that had been coming as Hibs were forcing the issue by being strong and resolute at the back and controlling in midfield.

Around ten minutes later Josh Doig strode forward in midfield before laying the ball off to Horgan. The wee man jinked left and right before sending over a sumptuous cross into the middle where Nisbet leapt high above John Guthrie to send a header goalwards. McCrorie in the Livi goal got a hand to it but couldn’t keep the ball out of the net, meaning Nisbet’s efforts had secured a two goal lead.

Our defenders continued to deny Livi a sight at goal and it was very noticeable that very few crosses were coming in from wide areas. This was due in part to the sterling work of Boyle and in particular Horgan in carrying out their defensive duties. Those crosses that did come into the box were met with Marciano collecting them or the heads of Hanlon, Porteous and McGinn heading clear. Young Josh Doig was particularly impressive for one so young and his reading of the game was excellent when denying Pittman the chance to cross with Hanlon and Porteous slightly out of position.

Half time was approaching when Hibs nabbed a third. A corner from Joe Newall was headed goalwards and as Hanlon went to make contact he was bowled over. It looked a penalty all the way but referee Euan Anderson didn’t oblige. Thankfully, Hibs played to the whistle and Porteous drove the ball towards goal where it was deflected into the path of Christian Doidge who knocked the ball in from close range.

It was more than I could have hoped for in securing a 3-0 lead after 45 minutes and at the break we speculated as to how Hibs might play in the second. Jack Ross, unfairly in my view, took a fair bit of criticism following the Killie game with some suggesting he’d set up the team not to concede rather than having them push on for another goal.

In the opening minute of the half, Marciano saved comfortably from Pittman before Martin Boyle really should have made it 4-0 when he passed up an excellent chance to score by trying instead to feed Nisbet and losing possession in the process.

On the hour mark, Euan Anderson decided that a push on Poplatnik by Ryan Porteous merited the awarding of a penalty kick. Two things spring to mind here. Firstly, the push looked identical to the one on Hanlon prior to our third goal and yet Paul got no penalty awarded to him. Secondly, I was a tad miffed with Porteous for making the challenge as no danger to our goal existed. Lyndon Dykes easily beat Marciano to make it 3-1 and for a short spell Livi enjoyed more possession without really causing Hibs any problems.

Hibs played out the match with relative ease and even managed a fourth goal near the end when Marvin Bartley fouled Hallberg in the 18 yard area and Kevin Nisbet stepped up to score, claiming the match ball in the process.

The players

Marciano – I actually thought Rocky’s distribution was excellent today, especially throwing overarm to set our wide men away. His kicking was better too and you wonder if this is anything to do with the fact that he’s working with a new coach.

McGinn – I honestly feel that he goes under the radar at times with his fellow defenders drawing rightful praise. McGinn is a good, solid professional and he was first class today.

Porteous – Ryan had a great game but I have to mention his role in the awarding of a penalty against us. Whether it’s youth or simply of experience that causes these daft moments I do not know but on the plus side and that one moment apart he defended exceptionally well.

Hanlon – This was a real captain’s performance today. He was at his very best in both leading the side and in reading the play. Lyndon Dykes can be a handful but in that clash, Paul emerged street’s ahead. Took a sore one from Bartley but thankfully he was able to continue.

Doig – This young lad is going to be a leading light in the months and years to come. Josh plays with a maturity that others of his age may lack and his ability to get up and down the park is admirable.

Boyle – Martin was hardly involved in the early parts of the game, at least in an attacking sense that is. After we scored our first he came more and more into the picture but still lapsed into not lifting his head on a couple of occasions.

Gocic – I truly believe we have won a watch here. The lad was everywhere at once and proved that his game is not just about physicality. A number of excellent passes and a fair few occasions at breaking up the play resulted in a top performance.

Newall – Joe is so calm in possession and makes things look easy at times. Deployed in his best position he is a real asset to the side and many of his deliveries were right on the button.

Horgan – I’ve been very critical of Daryl in the past but for me, today was his best performance in a Hibs shirt. Added to his two assists was a willingness to assist young Doig whilst defending.

Doidge – I caught Richard Gordon stifling a laugh when describing Christian’s goal today. It’s what I’ve come to expect from Gordon but as long as the big fella is scoring I couldn’t give a toss which part of his body the ball hits last. His overall play was superb both in an attacking and a defending sense so maybe Mr. Gordon could be a little more gracious in future.

Nisbet – Partick released him so, by his own admission he screwed the nut and scored for fun in joining Raith Rovers. His move to Dunfermline drew remarks that the step up in grade might be too much. He scored for fun with Dunfermline. He’s joined Hibs and the same doubters queried whether he could step up. A hat trick today and an almost instant partnership with Doidge will maybe have the doubters, doubting their own words. There were a good few in contention for my man of the match but it has to go to Kevin for his goals and his all round performance.

Hallberg – replaced Horgan and played a bit further forward than he has done for Hibs in the past and that was referenced by the fact it was him that Bartley felled in the box to allow Kev to claim his hat trick.

Gullan – Only got a couple of minutes and had no real chance to influence the outcome.

Jack Ross – Apparently his face was tripping him at the pre match press conference. At 3-0 up the camera showed a dour looking Jack Ross on the bench. Maybe that look is because he is focussed 100% on his job, rather than any other spurios suggestions.

The fans – It is torture watching on TV, especially when I was only a mile or so from the ground but winning and winning well helped ease the frustration.

Euan Anderson – I was baffled but not surprised at his interpretation of what constitutes a penalty but even more baffled by his leniency towards Marvin Bartley. I love big Marv but he could and should have been shown red for that challenge on Hanlon. He got a yellow and should have had a second for fouling Hallberg for the Hibs penalty.
    Great as ever John & I like your comments about Doidge. He's just a natural at sniffing out goals. With Kevin's 2nd goal their keeper got a finger to it & turned it against the post. If it had come back out into play then Christian would have scored another 1 foot special! As ever he was in the right place.
    PS, I just posted in another thread about Marvin, 100% a red card!

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    I thought Porteous was harshly treated by the ref ,very very soft pen . But 4-1 on that joke of a pitch . Happy as a dog with ,,, a stick 😃
    Good summary as per JB .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Thanks John. I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights tomorrow as I wasn't able to watch the game today.

You'll be getting pelters again for praising Paul Hanlon though...

Think I agree with pretty much everything in that post.

Left by mutual consent!
    Always a satisfying read with a cuppa.
    Thanks Jonnyboy!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I don’t think Porteous should have been penalised for their penalty, sift an understatement with it.

Good report, JB, thanks for sharing.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Agreed John - just said the same about Newell on his thread.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Thanks John
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

The players

Good report, thanks.

Just a few more points I feel are worth mentioning :-

Marciano - flapped at crosses or balls onto the box a couple of times (doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest!)
    Horgan - agree he did really well, hope his injury isn't too bad
    The Ref - other than the soft pen for Livingston, I thought he did pretty well and let the game flow as much as he could

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    My love for Marvin Bartley ebbs further each time I see and hear him I’m afraid.
    Darryl Horgans finest match remains immortalised though John.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I don’t think Porteous should have been penalised for their penalty, sift an understatement with it.

Good report, JB, thanks for sharing.
    Apparently it was hanlon who conceded the penalty. Porto was booked for complaining.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Apparently it was hanlon who conceded the penalty. Porto was booked for complaining.
    Someone said that on tv but the booking came very quickly. I still can't see an infringement.

@hibs.net private member
    I find myself quite disconcerted by the change in the date format in the thread title.

@hibs.net private member
    I doubt that - unless there was a handball Hanlon done nothing wrong.

After watching the replays several times, it was Porteous and I can see why it was given. May have been slight but he did appear to shove the Livi player and clearly had 2 hands doing it.

The quality of replays on offer is a total joke though!

There was a push by Porto. No idea how Hanlon could have been involved in the pen. It was a soft pen, but a daft challange by porto.

First Team Breakthrough
    Thanks for doing these reports. Great effort.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I honestly think the JonnyBoy 'This is How it Feels MOM' should be more of a thing. This kind of accolade needs recorded and rewarded.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Great work as always, Jonny. A pleasure to read your post match posts; thanks for taking the time to write them.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Great report as usual John. Rocky's kicking was awful a couple of times.Thought the date was a dodgy phone line scam too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Always the after match post I look out for thanks Jonnyboy

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    There was a push by Porto. No idea how Hanlon could have been involved in the pen. It was a soft pen, but a daft challange by porto.
    I agree, but just going by what a daily record journo said I the twitter.

(obviously not a great source tbf 😂)

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks as always: always look forward to reading your report.

Even obvious Hibs slant aside, compare this with the BBC report which actually tells you nothing about the three first half goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53618622

So thanks again.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Thanks for the report as always Jonny. It kind of feels that awaiting your review of the game is like waiting for the pink news (older folks know) coming out to read the match report from the days game. You're bringing those memories back Jonny, always a good read and look forward to it, keep up the good work as much appreciated 👍

Good read ... Only saw the highlights so I wont attempt to comment on individual players. For whatever reason the Bartley challenge wasn't included on the Sportscene highlights so all I know about it is what folk have said on here and social media.

Though it doesn't sound great I will say that some of the comments I've seen are way over the top ... sure have a go at him over the challenge, but the way some folk are going on it's like his name should be stricken from all Hibs records and the massive contribution he made at Easter Road, especially to get us to that cup final, should be totally forgotten about.

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers OP, great read and agree with every word.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant read as usual Jonnyboy

Well done

Rocky still gives me the fear but in fairness he did ok

Horgan’s best game in a HIBS shirt must surely still be his double at Tiny ?

Doidge has the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time and can continue to blast in rocket shots from 2 mm out and score off his bahookey as long as they go in - regardless of what some Aberdeen supporting journo might think

As expected Nisbet is looking like the ‘ real deal’ long may it continue

Already looking forward to your match report on Tuesday

Keep up the good work

Promising Youngster
    Two points about yesterday’s game. Doig really impressed me again. He really adds something with his driving runs forward on the ball. He was instrumental in the 2nd goal when he ran forward sucked players in and slipped it to Horgan.

Secondly it was also good that we showed we are not 100% reliant on Boyle. Whilst he had a quieter game others really stepped up.

Great performance all round.