hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Gary O'Connor documentary

Theres a documentary about him on BBC Scotland on Tuesday 18th at 10pm. Just seen an advert for it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Reminder: Playing The Game: Garry O’Connor

On tonight 10pm The BBC Scotland Channel

Left by mutual consent!
    That will be interesting. The classic tale of a Scottish player who had it all and lost it. In the past it was usually the bevvy or gambling that did them in but in this case it has a modern twist with the vices being drugs and the inability to handle the pressure of getting very rich quickly at a young age

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Reminds me of this scene from Trainspotting.

https://youtu.be/pQD-dXfHrvk

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reminds me of this scene from Trainspotting.

https://youtu.be/pQD-dXfHrvk

J

"We all get old, we canne hack it any more, and that's it."

Sounds about right.

Heard him saying "I made mistakes" on the trailer. Wee bit of an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Heard him saying "I made mistakes" on the trailer. Wee bit of an understatement.
    He made plenty of good decisions as well. Being a pro footballer for 10(?) years - playing in the top leagues in Scotland, England and Russia, playing for Scotland, making loads of money, having a family etc.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    He made plenty of good decisions as well. Being a pro footballer for 10(?) years - playing in the top leagues in Scotland, England and Russia, playing for Scotland, making loads of money, having a family etc.

Sounds pretty good to me.
    And if he'd screwed the nut how much more would he have achieved?

The same could be said of me, maybe you? everyone on this thread or likely everybody reading this, we're all flawed to a certain extent and possibly will never reach our full potential in certain aspects of our life. Unfortunately for some, their failings are played out in a goldfish bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    The same could be said of me, maybe you? everyone on this thread or likely everybody reading this, we're all flawed to a certain extent and possibly will never reach our full potential in certain aspects of our life. Unfortunately for some, their failings are played out in a goldfish bowl.
    Definitely. It's frustrating to see the guy we would like to have been not going on to do all that he could've because of the choices he made.
    Roy Castle sang a song about it.

In Gary's defence.

If I had had the money he had at such a young age I'd probably be deid by now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Set record. Looking forward to this. Remember watching him against Gala one summer evening and think he scored four goals (?) He was on fire back then. Met him in Dublin too before a friendly. Top Hibernian!

I'm sure you have to put a lot of work into it to be able to play football for your country.

Perhaps once he'd achieved all this, that was all he had, or that was all he wanted to do.

I'd say he's been successful - not many people can say they've done all the things that he's done.

Hopefully it's a good programme - I'll watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Theres a documentary about him on BBC Scotland on Tuesday 18th at 10pm. Just seen an advert for it.
    A sorry tale. Perfect example of the footballer with talent and opportunity, making a horrid mess of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I'm sure you have to put a lot of work into it to be able to play football for your country.

Perhaps once he'd achieved all this, that was all he had, or that was all he wanted to do.

I'd say he's been successful - not many people can say they've done all the things that he's done.

Hopefully it's a good programme - I'll watch it.
    More successful than most but not as much as he could've been. If what he achieved was the height of his ambition that's even more of a shame.

First Team Regular
    Each to their own, but i couldnt think of anything worse.

Boy who had a good career and made life changing money in massive self pity fest because he blew it all.

I liked OConnor as a player, but i hate this genre of programme, where a fallen star basically blames the world for all this bad stuff happening to them.

@hibs.net private member
    Will 100% watch.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post

Boy who had a good career and made life changing money in massive self pity fest because he blew it all.

I liked OConnor as a player, but i hate this genre of programme, where a fallen star basically blames the world for all this bad stuff happening to them.
    Life in 2020 virus UK is bad enough without watching that.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Will be recording it if only for his Si Ferry interview in which he gave details of body blood transfusions in Russia and the goings ons before that Cup Final

Must be more to come ?

Box Office !

Got ma popcorn at the ready cannae wait

Loved O'Connor on the park. Off the park not my cup of tea. Doesn't play in a green and white shirt anymore so not too interested.

Stick in Gary. You were a great player for us . Good luck Sir.

That'll be gettin' watched. Only reservation is that GOC has been a fan of the odd fabrication over the years, so I'll be taking a lot of it with a large pinch of salt (no other white substances). Good thing (of which there are few) about social media, is that folk in the know will probably call out BS or back him up in real time.

Is his son Josh still with Hibs?

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Is his son Josh still with Hibs?
    Yes

First Team Regular
    He should have taken a look at the pictures in the stadium " The famous fans Turnbulls tornadoes and certainly Pat Stanton and how they managed to play and conduct themselves in a decent manner

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    He should have taken a look at the pictures in the stadium " The famous fans Turnbulls tornadoes and certainly Pat Stanton and how they managed to play and conduct themselves in a decent manner
    G O just wasted what he had . Sad

Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    Indeed Hibs icons all of them. They didnt command the sort of money that Gary had thrown at him.

He played football because he loved the game and he knew he could play a bit.

Pressures in the famous five and Stanton days were a whole lot different that when gary played.

Sure he made mistakes and didnt go on to bigger things, but there wasnt the support surrounding young talent as their is now.

His so called pals soon left when he hit the slide and had to sell off all he had.

He was just a thick wee laddie who loved to kick a ball around and entertain the public.

The money and fame turned his head and him towards doing some awful things .

The worst i felt for him was the pictures of him lying on the ground outside a pub in Leith Walk, being handcuffed. it made me sad to see

him like this but he was his worst enemy.

Im going to watch this programme but dont think i will learn anything knew from it.

Just wish him the best of luck with what he does with his future and remembers the thrill of it all for Hibs!

Left by mutual consent!

Gaz blames nobody but himself. He’s realised that now. If he’s getting paid some money by the bbc for sharing his story then good on him.

Garv never blamed anyone but himself. He also doesn’t pity himself, he’s goes out and still tries to push his own career to better others. To show youngsters what can happen. There’s no doubt that there should have been better support networks, but he was just a daft laddie from Port Seton who had a fair amount of talent and turned into a multi millionaire overnight. Like a poster above said, I’d have also been dead with all that money and fame with no support other than some scrounging ‘pals’.

I'll watch this on catch up. I suspect Garry may well fall into the category of 'unreliable narrator' if some of the stuff he's come out with in the past is anything to go by.

I don't think many are in a position to condemn him though. As said above if I'd had the money and temptations he had at the same age who knows where I'd have ended up. He made mistakes, hopefully he has learned from them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years