hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Europe

Europe

Just reading about our coefficient and there is big incentive to make sure we get it right this year. Five European places up for grabs, not entering in the first qualifying round in any of them.

“ However, due to Olympiacos' defeat to Wolves in the competition, Scotland are now in 14th place in Uefa's coefficient table.

And that means this season's Premiership champions will go straight into the Champions League third qualifying round next summer.

While the runners-up, who have had to settle for the Europa League in recent seasons, will go into the second qualifying round.

Our new ranking is good news for the 2020-21 Scottish Cup winners as well, as they'll go into the Europa League's third qualifying round.

Whichever clubs finish third and fourth in the Premiership will go into the second qualifying round for the new Europa Conference League”.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just reading about our coefficient and there is big incentive to make sure we get it right this year. Five European places up for grabs, not entering in the first qualifying round in any of them.

“ However, due to Olympiacos' defeat to Wolves in the competition, Scotland are now in 14th place in Uefa's coefficient table.

And that means this season's Premiership champions will go straight into the Champions League third qualifying round next summer.

While the runners-up, who have had to settle for the Europa League in recent seasons, will go into the second qualifying round.

Our new ranking is good news for the 2020-21 Scottish Cup winners as well, as they'll go into the Europa League's third qualifying round.

Whichever clubs finish third and fourth in the Premiership will go into the second qualifying round for the new Europa Conference League”.
    Also with the cup winner likely to come from the top 4 there's a good chance the team that finishes 5th in the league can get into Europe.
    That has to be our minimum target.

@hibs.net private member
    Interestingly, the league places will be 1st/2nd place into champions league and 3rd/4th place into the new Europa Conference League.

Only the winners of the Scottish Cup get into the Europa League.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Interestingly, the league places will be 1st/2nd place into champions league and 3rd/4th place into the new Europa Conference League.

Do you know if those knocked out of the Europa go into the conference in the same was as those knocked out of the CL go into Europa?
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Do you know if those knocked out of the Europa go into the conference in the same was as those knocked out of the CL go into Europa?
    Yes there will be teams knocked out of both the Champions League and the Europa League that will go into this new competition.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    You'd like to think we can finish top 5 with our resources compared to the other clubs, but as we know we have rarely performed relative to budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Yes there will be teams knocked out of both the Champions League and the Europa League that will go into this new competition.
    Not as many though.
    10 teams knocked out of the Europa League playoffs and 8 teams knocked out of the Europa League groups

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875

Hmm that's strange.

So just say Celtic win the Scottish cup and the European spot goes to the team 5th in the league right? Does the 5th placed team go into the Europa league, the better competition. Or does that Europa league place go to the team in 3rd and the 5th place gets the new Europa Conference place?

One of the best things about a euro trip? The planning thread! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Hmm that's strange.

So just say Celtic win the Scottish cup and the European spot goes to the team 5th in the league right? Does the 5th placed team go into the Europa league, the better competition. Or does that Europa league place go to the team in 3rd and the 5th place gets the new Europa Conference place?
    It would go to the 3rd place team.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    Cheers. That's definitely fairest.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    Correct... I think.... obviously nothing been stated in writing about this, has there?

But what you say should be the way it all happens.

To be honest I think the potential of the top 5 getting European places makes a good case for league expansion. Almost half the top tier getting into Europe seems a bit odd.

Correct... I think.... obviously nothing been stated in writing about this, has there?

To be honest I think the potential of the top 5 getting European places makes a good case for league expansion. Almost half the top tier getting into Europe seems a bit odd.
    I haven't seen anything confirming it, just purely basing it on how it worked previously. In the past, when the cup winner had already qualified for europe, the league placing spots were adjusted so that the highest placed team entered at the later qualifying rounds. I can't see why they would change it now.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar

Knowing Hibs we will get 6th.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Knowing Hibs we will get 6th.

J
    Or 5th, and lose the cup final to cowdenbeath...

Champions league here we come!
    Last edited by gbhibby; 07-08-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Hmm that's strange.

You only get the European spot if you win the Cup, not if you finish runner up to the team that won the league. That change was introduced a few years ago because it was damaging the coefficient.

So when Celtc won the Cup in 2019 the runner up didn't qualify, otherwise we'd have seen a lower league side qualify for Europe only to get knocked out by a part time Maltese team.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Imo we will still bring in a good couple of quality additions

James
    Hallberg
    Stirling
    Innes Murray
    Sean Mackie

All the above could be moved on either permanently or loan.

Absolutley no reason we cant be competing for 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

James
    Hallberg
    Stirling
    Innes Murray
    Sean Mackie

I hope you are right. Aberdeen have shot themselves in the foot, and I really hope we are in a position to take advantage and get third

And to think there were folk on here not wanting the ugly sisters to do well in Europe & to hang with the coefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    You only get the European spot if you win the Cup, not if you finish runner up to the team that won the league. That change was introduced a few years ago because it was damaging the coefficient.

So when Celtc won the Cup in 2019 the runner up didn't qualify, otherwise we'd have seen a lower league side qualify for Europe only to get knocked out by a part time Maltese team.
    The change to stop cup runners-up playing in the Europa league was taken by UEFA not the SFA. The rule had applied to all countries so I don't understand how it damaged the Scottish co-efficient relative to anyone else.

If the SFA had wanted to keep lower division clubs out of the Europa league they wouldn't have allowed the 2016 cup winners access to the tournament.

James
    Hallberg
    Stirling
    Innes Murray
    Sean Mackie

Don’t think there’s any point moving the youngsters on. It’s clear we don’t have the money to bring loads in, and lower leagues don’t start until mid October. I’d rather keep them and have them there if and when needed, especially with 20 man match day squads.

James
    Hallberg
    Stirling
    Innes Murray
    Sean Mackie

I can still see Halberg doing a good job for us.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    i don’t think JR rates him at this point. Newell a much better option on form.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Genuine question. What job? To start with I thought he had something. But the more I saw, he just seems to run around a lot but I’m not sure what he’s good at.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

Cheers. I get you now. So if Celtic were to win the cup we'd then have no entrants in the Europa league. As third and fourth get Europa Conference. Or is that when the team in third would get the Europa League spot?

I don't know why I'm asking anyway. We're obviously winning the cup this year!

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    The change to stop cup runners-up playing in the Europa league was taken by UEFA not the SFA. The rule had applied to all countries so I don't understand how it damaged the Scottish co-efficient relative to anyone else.

If the SFA had wanted to keep lower division clubs out of the Europa league they wouldn't have allowed the 2016 cup winners access to the tournament.
    The difference was that we won the Cup.

And a lower league club won't be winning it this year, to the disappointment of part time Maltese teams
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Cheers. I get you now. So if Celtic were to win the cup we'd then have no entrants in the Europa league. As third and fourth get Europa Conference. Or is that when the team in third would get the Europa League spot?

I'd assume that third gets the Europa League place and it would be fourth and fifth in the Europa Conference.

But as you point out, that is purely hypothetical

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Winning the Scottish Cup this year wont get you into Europe.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    Winning the Scottish Cup this year wont get you into Europe.
    Good point. Can we get an added stipulation, that if Celtic win league and cup next year, then the 19-20 cup winners get the Europa place??