hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EFL Salary Cap

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I think it will do is open up the market for us. Allowing us to pay more for players all these tin pot league 2 clubs used to outbid us for.
    A salary cap up here would be a better idea.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    A salary cap up here would be a better idea.
    If only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    I'm confused how this would work. If there's a limit on how much they can pay their players, then what happens to the excess cash a club might receive (assuming the club is profitable)? Does that mean a mega windfall for the owners of the club with the money passing to the owner rather than the players?

Quote Originally Posted by big gogs View Post
    Explain to me how is it disgusting,they were offered.a salary and they took it,what is the problem here,would you refuse to take a disgusting wage or salary offer.money talks in all walks of life.
    It’s not disgusting in the way you quote it, of course we would all do and take the same if offered, but that,in my book, doesn’t make it right, the system needs looking at and changed because it will all come to an abrupt end and more than a few clubs will go to the wall. It simply lets the richest clubs mop up all the better players, a bit like, but slightly smaller scale, the two West coast clubs do in our league.

Quote Originally Posted by cocteautwin View Post
    I'm confused how this would work. If there's a limit on how much they can pay their players, then what happens to the excess cash a club might receive (assuming the club is profitable)? Does that mean a mega windfall for the owners of the club with the money passing to the owner rather than the players?
    Yes which is why salary caps are so popular in American sports but it also means that clubs can direct resources to investment in things that improve the fan experience as well without adverse affect on the quality of player available. This is the reason that American stadiums are much more fan friendly places.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    What Ozy said.

But there is also the opportunity to reduce debt, either to the owners or external. For me, that's one of the main drivers behind the move; to allow clubs to get back to a sustainable position.

First Team Breakthrough
    It appears to include everything, image rights, agents fees, the lot!
    It will make it much tougher for bigger clubs like Sunderland to get promoted

The majority of clubs still won't be making much profit - the average turnover for 'constant' League 1 clubs seems to be £6-7m and they have the usual fairly hefty running costs on top of wages. They also tend to have large losses brought forward from previous years and that rules out paying dividends to owners even if they do make a profit. The bigger clubs that find themselves down there like Sunderland and Ipswich all seem to have negative Balance Sheets as well meaning profits will just go towards recouping losses and reducing debt. This cap is badly needed.

The gap between the Championship and League 1 (and big clubs/small clubs within the Championship) is surprisingly big.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Wolves just fell foul of that. Wonder if they will make it stick?

The fine in minimal, losing 2 players from their squad will hurt them more

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    The fine in minimal, losing 2 players from their squad will hurt them more
    Also the fact that they need to reduce their salary costs to get under next years cap as well will hinder them.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Also the fact that they need to reduce their salary costs to get under next years cap as well will hinder them.

Are Man Utd not interested in one of their top earners

First Team Breakthrough EAZY-ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big gogs View Post
    Explain to me how is it disgusting,they were offered.a salary and they took it,what is the problem here,would you refuse to take a disgusting wage or salary offer.money talks in all walks of life.
    300k + a week for playing a game when some families can't even feed thier kids or pay thier rent ...yes its disgusting..... let's also add that some clubs are struggling to pay thier players and having to make massive job cuts in order to survive
    Last edited by EAZY-ME; 08-08-2020 at 10:49 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by EAZY-ME View Post
    300k + a week for playing a game when some families can't even feed thier kids or pay thier rent ...yes its disgusting..... let's also add that some clubs are struggling to pay thier players and having to make massive job cuts in order to survive
    It’s the way of the world,some people are making a fortune playing football ,or any other major sport,agents and chairpersons agree terms for the players.it is disgusting that people are using food banks,charity shops or breakfast clubs ,and parents going without a meal to make sure the kids are fed.it does not change the fact the rich get richer,and the poor get poorer.if someone is offered a massive wage or salary they would be mad not to accept it.right or wrong it will never change.