hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFL Salary Cap

EFL Salary Cap

I see they are voting on this today. I didn’t know much about it but just read this article.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.h...te-4401085.amp

very interesting and I think this can only be good for Scottish football as surely we must have a higher wage bill than 2.5 million?

hopefully it goes through.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    It feels a little strange to have something like that introduced half way down the league system. Getting relegated from the Championship would be an absolute disaster for teams.

Not sure how much it would affect Scottish football, we'd generally lose our (Hibs anyway) better players to the championship rather than League 1 - although with time and an unchecked wage system that might end up happening. In theory it should be easier to poach L1 players, although that doesn't always work out too well either anyway.
    Mon the Hibs.

I would imagine all Championship contracts would have to have a relegation clause.

First Team Breakthrough
    Read it works out with a 20 man squad of an average 2.5k a week per player. Can't see it going through for this year, if it does imagine there will be clause for relegated clubs to league.
    For example Sunderland are still paying Mcgeady 10k a week as well as Cattermole who left last season the same and this is some 2 years after relegation. Would cripple them, plus would result in going back to brown envelopes as clubs look to get round rule.

First Team Breakthrough EAZY-ME's Avatar
    Should have been done years ago.. the money some of these guys are on is just disgusting

What I think it will do is open up the market for us. Allowing us to pay more for players all these tin pot league 2 clubs used to outbid us for.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It feels a little strange to have something like that introduced half way down the league system. Getting relegated from the Championship would be an absolute disaster for teams.

Not sure how much it would affect Scottish football, we'd generally lose our (Hibs anyway) better players to the championship rather than League 1 - although with time and an unchecked wage system that might end up happening. In theory it should be easier to poach L1 players, although that doesn't always work out too well either anyway.
    When Sunderland went down a few seasons back was their wage bill not in the tens of millions? They would have been goosed.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by EAZY-ME View Post
    Should have been done years ago.. the money some of these guys are on is just disgusting
    Explain to me how is it disgusting,they were offered.a salary and they took it,what is the problem here,would you refuse to take a disgusting wage or salary offer.money talks in all walks of life.

Current higher contracts are counted as £1,300 a week so it can be phased in. Not sure if they will keep that long term for relegated teams otherwise it could be carnage.

That's it been voted through. May help us get Docherty if infact we are after him? Still not sure we could afford the transfer fee

@hibs.net private member
    Could be good news for us that.

First Team Breakthrough
    Unbelievable decision for the better.
    Existing contracts to be honoured but it’s been brought in for the upcoming season.
    Hopefully it’s an end to players like Adam Rooney going from Aberdeen to Salford! Surely the SPL becomes more attractive to players than league 1 and 2

The only fly in the ointment,i think, is that there is no cap on bonuses? Obv that could be open for abuse.

Been saying for years we need this in Scotland. We need to bring in an element of competition to the league. Having the same winner every season is bad for the game. Works great in other sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal G View Post
    Read it works out with a 20 man squad of an average 2.5k a week per player. Can't see it going through for this year, if it does imagine there will be clause for relegated clubs to league.
    For example Sunderland are still paying Mcgeady 10k a week as well as Cattermole who left last season the same and this is some 2 years after relegation. Would cripple them, plus would result in going back to brown envelopes as clubs look to get round rule.
    Existing deals will be exempt to allow legacy contract to expire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/foot...mpression=true

It’s been passed.

@hibs.net private member
    Its a positive move but it is the top leagues that i want to see this brought in on.

The money the top players are earning is obscene and all the while the cost to the fans is going up and up through tickets and tv.

Sponsorship deals etc. fine but salaries should be capped imo.

Unfortunately that, along with many other things e.g. champs league set up, doesn't help with the rich getting richer attitude within elite football and so unlikely to happen anytime soon.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    The only fly in the ointment,i think, is that there is no cap on bonuses? Obv that could be open for abuse.
    The clubs will learn from Saracens 😈

Bonuses are included in the salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The clubs will learn from Saracens 😈
    You would hope so! I havent seem the details but could they not have a basic salary and large win bonuses?

Could work out for Scottish clubs, being able to offer larger wages to these players

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Bonuses are included in the salary cap.

Had a quick look, not all bonuses are included. Cup games and promotion are not included.

Won't see it happen in any top league unless everyone across Europe did it in a co-ordinated fashion which I really can't see happening

You would hope so! I havent seem the details but could they not have a basic salary and large win bonuses?
    And houses.

And holidays.

Some clubs will find a way around it.

And houses.

And holidays.

Some clubs will find a way around it.
    All those things have to be included in a players contract.
    Clubs might try find a way round it but they will be caught. So long as the penalties are substantial then the system should work. I’m assuming the league will appoint a salary cap auditor.

Clubs might try find a way round it but they will be caught. So long as the penalties are substantial then the system should work. I’m assuming the league will appoint a salary cap auditor.

I hope it does.

But it will still be looked on as a challenge to those who want to get that extra edge in attracting the better players. Nigel Wray might be looking for a job.

I hope it does.

But it will still be looked on as a challenge to those who want to get that extra edge in attracting the better players. Nigel Wray might be looking for a job.
    Since they introduced it in the NRL in Australia there have been numerous breaches by teams but they always get hammered.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/01/...tigers-undone/

Any under the counter deals should also see the agent concerned lose his license.

It'll be enforced in the same rigid way FFP has been the saviour for top level European clubs...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    It'll be enforced in the same rigid way FFP has been the saviour for top level European clubs...

Given that it's the clubs themselves that have brought this in, rather than having it imposed on them (as with FFP), enforcement won't be the issue. Detection might be, but hopefully the clubs will learn from the Saracens saga.

Meanwhile, the PFA don't like it. Whodathunkit?

League One & Two clubs vote to introduce salary cap - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696424
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 07-08-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post

Wolves just fell foul of that. Wonder if they will make it stick?