hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Aberdeen fixtures

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mind Spiers but that is an awful take. He's had folk point out the hospitality industry would be ****ed if they weren't allowed to open but he isn't interested.
    And now we've got kheredine idessane saying the people shouldn't be complaining about footballers instead we should be angry about the SQA. wtf has happened to these bbc sports journalists?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    What’s happened with the Saints game is bad enough, but if their game against Hamilton is stopped then Aberdeen have to be heavily punished. But can they be? What offence have they committed? That’s a genuine question. The SPFL have sorted out emergency rules for football finishing early this season, but have they made provision for the bumps in the road?
    Cormack said that Aberdeen were willing to play the fixtures, so it would be unfair to punish them for a decision taken by the Scottish Government.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Cormack said that Aberdeen were willing to play the fixtures, so it would be unfair to punish them for a decision taken by the Scottish Government.
    If Aberdeen players hadn’t broken the rules the fixture could have went ahead. Aberdeen are in the wrong here.
    Football got a special deal to let them open again. There are businesses in Scotland that would have loved that treatment and now football is throwing it back in the SG’s face.
    If it happens again every club in Scotland could be shut down. Too right Aberdeen should be punished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    If Aberdeen players hadn’t broken the rules the fixture could have went ahead. Aberdeen are in the wrong here.
    Football got a special deal to let them open again. There are businesses in Scotland that would have loved that treatment and now football is throwing it back in the SG’s face.
    If it happens again every club in Scotland could be shut down. Too right Aberdeen should be punished.

Agree 100% and now a precedent has been set. The fixtures guy was on the radio a few weeks back saying there's virtually no space in the calendar. Letting them off with a postponement is likely to lead to an utter shambles of a season.

I understand the argument that it's not fair on others if St Johnstone get the points for nothing but it's no more unfair than what happened to Hearts. Bless them...

So you want Aberdeen punished for something the players did in their own time and without the club's knowledge, and for which Aberdeen were willing to take the hit for by being without those players for three games? It's the individual players who should be punished, not their employer.

It would be a different story if Aberdeen had organised the meal for their players.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

So you want Aberdeen punished for something the players did in their own time and without the club's knowledge, and for which Aberdeen were willing to take the hit for by being without those players for three games? It's the individual players who should be punished, not their employer.

It would be a different story if Aberdeen had organised the meal for their players.
    Fine, hit the players with a three game suspension starting when their isolation ends. If this was Hibs I’d be saying the same.
    Football asked for special treatment. They need to show they can keep their side of the deal.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Fine, hit the players with a three game suspension starting when their isolation ends. If this was Hibs I’d be saying the same.
    Football asked for special treatment. They need to show they can keep their side of the deal.

Why just three games? I’m old enough to remember a Hibs man get an 8 week ban without indulging in life and livelihood threatening activity. Hammer them properly the mugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I wonder if last week's vote was intended to let the board make decisions on situations like this. It was voted down though.
    As soon as that vote was denied, the SPFL leadership should have had the clubs around the table to force them into making rules for the season coming. No ifs buts or maybes. Cover all angles. Season finishing early (what stage depending on what outcome), individual misdemeanours like this etc. None of this waiting til an event happens, it took us by surprise in march, there’s no excuse now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    As soon as that vote was denied, the SPFL leadership should have had the clubs around the table to force them into making rules for the season coming. No ifs buts or maybes. Cover all angles. Season finishing early (what stage depending on what outcome), individual misdemeanours like this etc. None of this waiting til an event happens, it took us by surprise in march, there’s no excuse now.
    I agree, and in fact I think they should have circulated a draft set of rules as an alternative option in that vote. I don't think it's realistic to predict every complexity but they've had months to draw up a list of likely issues to be addressed. This one was entirely predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I agree, and in fact I think they should have circulated a draft set of rules as an alternative option in that vote. I don't think it's realistic to predict every complexity but they've had months to draw up a list of likely issues to be addressed. This one was entirely predictable.
    Correct. As much as I defended the SPFL in the scenario last season, it’s things like this that really gets my goat with them. Reactive at every turn rather than proactive.

They're employees of the club, who undertook an obligation to adhere to certain protocols to enable their profession to return to work. If the employees were insufficiently trained to appreciate the implications of breaking those protocols then the club has to be punished, they must then punish their employees accordingly.
    (Edit. In my line of work I'd be under no illusions that would be summary dismissal, pro footballers who have a financial value to the company are different but still relevant).
    It has to be realised that if every player in the SPFL had behaved like them this week then football would be stopped. Fullstop. I would wager a large % of professional footballers would be out of work if that was the case, Scottish football is on a knife edge atm.
    I said it before but I'm more angry if their actions prevent kids and amateur footballers getting back into action, some like us in the North haven't had any football for 12 months at the end of this month
    Last edited by Kaff; 07-08-2020 at 11:37 PM.

We are only one week into a season that will test everyone and could end at any time if the virus becomes uncontrollable. The Aberdeen players were completely selfish and knew exactly what they were doing. Apart from the obvious life threatening health risks; they have put Scottish football in jeopardy along with their own, and every other player’s livelihood. There really is no excuse for their behaviour. There is normally a golden rule; it is always systemic, but in this case it really is hard to see past individual stupidity. I realise this will sound totally reactionary but I would consider a suspended sine die so that if they display that level of stupidity again they would be out of the game. One despairs. They would probably go out to celebrate having got off with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    like the contingency plans most organisations will have in place right now.

@hibs.net private member
    Motherwell player to self isolate after returning a positive test followed by two negative tests after supposedly having a night out with friends outside the football bubble. These players are going to get football stopped.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Motherwell player to self isolate after returning a positive test followed by two negative tests after supposedly having a night out with friends outside the football bubble. These players are going to get football stopped.
    Yep you’re right they are. After all the hard work put in behind the scenes to get it back up and running & the players can’t put a night out on hold until things start dying down a bit. It’s a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Depends on the circumstances to be fair.

The Aberdeen players were sitting in a group that breached all rules. The Motherwell player might have sat having dinner with a couple of mates adhering to the rules and been unlucky. Might have been sitting in a packed pub of course.

Hopefully the last couple of days are a wake up call for all players/staff.

Why does a player who's tested negative twice need to isolate?

So what’s the situation with the players WAGS ?

Are they allowed to mix ? If they meet up and go for a drink then back to partners..

Even footballers will train to home - maybe out for a coffee - see family etc.

Where do you draw the line ?!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post

Are they allowed to mix ? If they meet up and go for a drink then back to partners..

I don’t think there is anyway football can have any kind of say in how someone’s Mrs spends her time.

If you take the football aspect out of it, it’s about folk adhering to the rules that the general public have to adhere to. In the Aberdeen example, they didn’t do that first and foremost (same as plenty non football folk).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    I said it before but I'm more angry if their actions prevent kids and amateur footballers getting back into action, some like us in the North haven't had any football for 12 months at the end of this month
    good post all round, this in particular. Already cost my lad a fair crack at Scottish cup last season, along with other stuff too. Particularly at older age groups an extended suspension will just result in kids being lost to the game.

Yes. The players ARE Aberdeen.

I think we are being extremely naive if we think Hibs players (and players of every other club) haven't done the same as those Aberdeen players. I saw the photo of the 4 Aberdeen boys sitting at a table in a pub with no other group anywhere near them.

You can guarantee dozens of players have done exactly the same, meeting a few friends or family members in cafes, pubs and restaurants.

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    I think we are being extremely naive if we think Hibs players (and players of every other club) haven't done the same as those Aberdeen players. I saw the photo of the 4 Aberdeen boys sitting at a table in a pub with no other group anywhere near them.

You can guarantee dozens of players have done exactly the same, meeting a few friends or family members in cafes, pubs and restaurants.
    I think in addition to that picture they proceeded to go on a bit of a pub crawl into busier bars.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post

Honestly don't think you can presume that. There are clear rules re number of households in indoor areas. Aberdeen players clearly broke this.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Craig75 View Post
    I think in addition to that picture they proceeded to go on a bit of a pub crawl into busier bars.
    Ah, didn't know that! Thought they'd just been sat at a table on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Craig75 View Post
    McInnes said they went for dinner then went to one pub for half an hour.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    McInnes said they went for dinner then went to one pub for half an hour.
    May be wrong but have my doubts about how accurate that may be. One of the news programmes were saying the players were inside the pub that had the huge queues outside.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    May be wrong but have my doubts about how accurate that may be. One of the news programmes were saying the players were inside the pub that had the huge queues outside.
    Maybe they were there early. Who knows. They clearly did wrong but they’d soon be proved to be telling lies if they were in multiple places etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post

The line is that you follow the rules set by the SG. Those Aberdeen players did not.
    Partners are not covered by the guidelines.