hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup. There isn’t a female footballer in the world that would be able to play even in League Two in Scotland imo due to the physicality difference. If this is the start of the two genders merging within sports then I can’t see any way it’s a positive for women.
    What are you basing this on? Genuine question.

I haven't watched enough high end women's football or league 2 in Scotland to comment on the differences.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Very few women can kick a ball 60 yards?
    I’ve seen 12 year old girls play 60 yard passes. I’m going to assume the poster doesn’t watch much of the girls / women’s games.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The 60 yard comment is nonsense. You see that week in week out in the women’s game.
    That's true, but can they kick it that far trying to control a ball, like Flo Kamberi can?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Can ping a ball 60 yards...yes. It’s not just my opinion , it’s that of some of the top women’s football coaches in Scotland whom I’ve heard in discussion about this ...it’s one of the few differences

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

I haven't watched enough high end women's football or league 2 in Scotland to comment on the differences.
    Personally I think you could slot a top end midfielder into a league 2 team and they’d cope. Kim Little / Caroline Weir type. There are some utter mince footballers in League 2 football.

@hibs.net private member

Women in men’s teams

The 60 yard comment is nonsense. You see that week in week out in the women’s game.
    It’s not ...came from top women’s coaches in Scotland ..and I’m not taking about the distance. I’m talking about pinging with speed a long diagonal pass.

The poster has obviously never seen Shiv playing for Hibs Women. 60 yard diagonal pass to the winger is her specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Maybe in a "sport" which does not rely on muscles and physiology - say, snooker or darts?

Any sport where the physical advantage of men over women exists this would be daft and counterproductive.

Obviously there may be exceptions - Serena Williams would still earn a living but not at the same level. In my opinion, Wimbledon has it right - pay the same money for the winners of the event but keep separate competitions.

I am also quite surprised that Dutch women would want this as the unintended consequence potentially removes so many from earning a living from their chosen sport.
    Didn't she lose to a world ranked 500 guy who was a bit pished at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    It’s not ...came from top women’s coaches in Scotland ..and I’m not taking about the distance. I’m talking about pinging with speed a long diagonal pass.
    Id love to bring these coaches to some of the games they are missing then. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    The poster has obviously never seen Shiv playing for Hibs Women. 60 yard diagonal pass to the winger is her specialty.
    I never want Shiv hitting a ball in my direction. 😂

@hibs.net private member
    Id love to bring these coaches to some of the games they are missing then.
    Well one was the national team coach , I’m sure they see more women’s football than most

@hibs.net private member

Women in men’s teams

I never want Shiv hitting a ball in my direction.
    There may be some , I said very few.....

The broader point is it was one small example of the importance of power and strength in football . It will stop women competing at the same level

Ps. I notice you don’t mention that there are a number of women who play at a decent level who can’t do it ..and do often lack power in their striking of a ball ..

Be balanced about the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    There may be some , I said very few.....

The broader point is it was one small example of the importance of power and strength in football . It will stop women competing at the same level

Ps. I notice you don’t mention that there are a number of women who play at a decent level who can’t do it ..and do often lack power in their striking of a ball ..

Be balanced about the debate.
    I’m very balanced. I’ve said physically women cannot compete v men at a higher level. Btw if Shelley Kerr reckons players can’t ping 60 yard passes it maybe makes sense why she keeps picking the same poor CHs for the national team. 😂. To keep the balance there are plenty men in the game that can’t ping a ball 60 yards. Our keeper struggles for starters!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

It’s just my opinion. Until it is actually attempted we’ll of course never know. But I would be very surprised if there was a woman at the top end of the female game who had the technical ability combined with the physical ability to compete with the men in that league. The technical ability would be there I’m sure but they’d get ran all over. Unless the women is a freak of nature it would be similar to sticking a Barcelona under 15 team into Scottish League Two.

I’m very balanced. I’ve said physically women cannot compete v men at a higher level. Btw if Shelley Kerr reckons players can’t ping 60 yard passes it maybe makes sense why she keeps picking the same poor CHs for the national team. 😂. To keep the balance there are plenty men in the game that can’t ping a ball 60 yards. Our keeper struggles for starters!
    I’d be stunned if there’s any men in professional football that can’t comfortably hit a ball 60 yards. I’m half decent at football, nowhere near pro, built like the side of a fiver yet I can quite comfortably clear half a pitch. If there’s a pro male that can’t do it (accuracy is a different thing mind!) then I’m yet to see it.

No he doesn't.

To me it is and it isn’t. Whilst I would agree with that outwith sport of course, when it comes to sport it wouldn’t be equality at all. Any sport that relies on physical prowess would see it become nigh on impossible for a woman to make it as a professional. Separate competitions make that possible.
    OK - so take this as an example.

Messi is the best player in the world (subjectively). He is 5ft 7in, 10 stone and at a serious physical disadvantage, yet plays against very physical opponents, and comes out on top 90% of the time.

Why would this be different for a female?

I have said this for years, it will happen one day that a female player breaks into, what we now call the 'men's game'.

Historically, a career in football has never been an option for females, this is changing and over generations i sincerely hope gender is not a barrier to playing football at the top level, and with all due respect to some of the posters on this thread, change the antiquated attitude (IMO) of males towards females in football.

First Team Breakthrough Green Cabbage 7's Avatar
    Some men couldn’t do what’s in this video I played at a decent level and couldn’t do half of it. Some pings into the back of the net from distance too also some men couldn’t do it, a lot of nonsense getting spouted on here.

https://youtu.be/C3mEzh4wOj4

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Football isn't all about physical strength though, there is nothing stopping a female being world class technically and in theory being the best technical player in the world or to take it further being the most technically gifted player ever.
    Sorry I hold a very different view. Football does have a significant level of physicality, especially at the lower levels. Any equivalent level games will be non competitive. Men are naturally stronger, faster and taller. The degree of technical ability a woman would need to compete basically does not exist. Maybe a large woman could make it as a goalie. As an example the World champ USA women’s team average height is 5 7, with the tallest 5 11 . The average Man in the Premiership is over 6 foot. They are giving away about 10kg in weight, more in terms of bone and muscle. Yip you get short men like Stirling but they are fast, strong and skilful. No woman is built like him.

Someone mentioned Serena Williams in tennis. That is a game where they have lots of stats and understanding of skill levels. The analysis shows that Williams would not make it as a professional tennis player. Her strengths of serving and service return would be weaknesses in the men’s game. She would be almost 6 inches smaller than the average player. She just would not be at the races and not make it past college level.

Darts, bowls, archery etc. Yes. Contact sports no. In any case what is being proposed does not make sense. Women are allowed to compete is men’s games but men cannot compete is women’s? How is that justified. Worse we end up with just one competition for everyone? What you will end up with is women pushed out of many sports except for the odd exception. We separate on age, disability and even weight to create competitive scenarios. Are we changing those too?

Even in golf where you'd think that women could have a chance of competing with men. The best player at the time Michelle Wie moved onto the PGA Tour. I think she was cut 7 tournaments out of 7 and by a lot of shots. It's not sexist to recognise when it comes to physicality there is a difference between men and women

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granty6_2 View Post
    with all due respect to some of the posters on this thread, change the antiquated attitude (IMO) of males towards females in football.
    Its not about sexist or antiquated attitudes - well, not in my case.

I have no issue at all with women competing with men - my post on page 1 related to the physicality aspects and potential lost income for professional female sportspeople.

If there was a "Messi" out there in womens football who could compete at the highest level then great - let it happen.

But in truth - same as the mens game - amazing players are one offs and their existence shouldnt be used as a way of developing any overarching strategies for womens sport in general.

As I said on page 1, there could be unintended consequences which hinder the development of womens football at the top level or reduce the money.

You should see the throw-ins, most of them throw like a girl.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    The Dutch FA have given permission for a woman to sign for a Dutch 4th tier team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53649795

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this? I’ve no issues with it in that if they’re good enough then bash on.

Is there a possibility though that this could work against women when it comes to sport? If we use the best female players - say Alex Morgan - nobody would ever have heard of her if she had been playing in mixed teams due to the fact she’d be playing at such a low level. Likewise people like the Williams sisters in tennis - if they were playing in mixed tournaments they’d be struggling to get past the first round the vast majority of the time rather than winning grand slam after grand slam.

Whilst on the surface it looks like the right thing to do, could it do more harm than good for female sports?
    I fear it would lead to less interest and investment in the women's game and you'd see only a few making it in to the mixed teams, leading to good talent giving up the game, similar to the scenario if you merged the Scottish, Northern Irish and English national sides, how many if our players would actually get capped, one maybe two?

What would probably help the women's game is more mixed training sessions, you see in a lot of sports that when males and females train together the gap in performance is reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cabbage 7 View Post
    Some men couldn’t do what’s in this video I played at a decent level and couldn’t do half of it. Some pings into the back of the net from distance too also some men couldn’t do it, a lot of nonsense getting spouted on here.

https://youtu.be/C3mEzh4wOj4
    Just about anyone and anything can look good in a youtube video.

Its not sexist or nonsense to point out the physical advantage men have. Do you genuinely think a female could play 60 games a season at the intensity of the mens game?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    When I was a kid, there was a girl that used to play football with the boys (though I don't think she was allowed to play for the school team).

She was about 4'10 and was a nasty wee piece of work. Mess with her on the pitch and your gonads might be getting carried home in your school bag.
    ????? Bannerman?

OK - so take this as an example.

Messi is the best player in the world (subjectively). He is 5ft 7in, 10 stone and at a serious physical disadvantage, yet plays against very physical opponents, and comes out on top 90% of the time.

Why would this be different for a female?

I have said this for years, it will happen one day that a female player breaks into, what we now call the 'men's game'.

Historically, a career in football has never been an option for females, this is changing and over generations i sincerely hope gender is not a barrier to playing football at the top level, and with all due respect to some of the posters on this thread, change the antiquated attitude (IMO) of males towards females in football.
    Even the example you used - you’ve used the best player in history who is probably about the same height as the average female football player and I’d be willing to bet is significantly more powerful than any female footballer on the planet. That’s why it would be different for a female.

There’s nothing ‘antiquated’ about saying women will never be able to physically compete in men’s sports. Short of women becoming streets ahead technique wise - and I’m talking absolutely light years ahead of the best men technique wise - they’ll never be able to compete at all. It’s just the way it is.

Hopefully the focus remains on growing the women’s game rather than attempting to shoe horn them into the men’s game which would inevitably see players who are superstars now such as Alex Morgan, Carly Lloyd etc not even make it professional.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 05-08-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

What's your thoughts on men breaking into women's football?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No he doesn't.
    Goes out for a throw in most weeks.

Its all about levels tbh. i could 100% put a womens team together that would hammer a Hibs.Net team. But there is not a chance that could ever happen at the top levels, and no one involved in womens football thinks otherwise.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    That’s not the best example. It was a bounce game the day before an international and the women were told not to tackle. But the main point is correct. Physicality is important in football.
    What about this example? Australia Women 0-Newcastle Jets (under 16's) 7.

There are lots of examples on line. Big defeats for top women's sides and international teams. Is it embarrassing? Not sure, but there are so many examples of this that you have to conclude that there is a clear pattern and that is that elite women's teams cannot compete against men, probably from mid teens onward. I would back a Hibs Net select v Hibs women on that basis.

The only way we will ever see a woman playing football v men at a high level will be on the basis of gender reassignment or some such malarkey. It is probably inevitable in our bizarre world.