hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Did the absence of fans possibly help Hibs in situations like last Saturday?

Been away for a few days so apologies if this has already been debated, but I was wondering if the lack of a crowd against Killie may have actually been to Hibs' advantage bearing in mind how the game played out? There have been a good few games like that in recent seasons when we've started strongly and built up a solid lead only to find ourselves hanging on for the win. When you're at such matches you can almost feel the crowd bracing itself for the last-minute equaliser and the nervousness takes over the whole stadium.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Good question! I suppose it goes one of two ways with the fans. If we're nervous and get frustrated then there's the danger that seeps onto the pitch (and vice versa, by the way) and we lose the lead. The flip side, is we've seen when we've been under the cosh and the fans get right behind the team and we see it out (like Saturday, but noisier!).

I think with no crowd there, the players can be more confident in what they're doing do it probably did help.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I think Tam McManus mentioned something similar on the HTV coverage. Initially I thought to myself 'that's quite a statement,' but when I thought about it, I tended to agree. To an extent, anyway.

Hibs fans are generally excellent and I fully believe they've cheered the team into holding on to victories many, many times in the past, but having suffered the downturn in both Lennon's and Hecky's reigns, there is definitely an added anxiety around losing leads. You can feel the atmosohere become edgy when we're only one goal ahead and the other team starts to have some possession. It's understandable, given our poor record on this front recently, and it will be alieviated if we get more results like the one on Saturday.

However I still think the absence of fans played only a small role in Saturday's victory, ultimately it was simply a better drilled team, with more balance thanks to the likes of Gogic and Porteous. Ross has had a pre season to get his defensive drills across to the players and I think that showed. Ross specifically mentioned our issues with losing leads and dropping points in his interviews post-match and said that they had done a lot of work around these issues.

If we can put a strong run together before fans are allowed back in stadia, that'll go a long way in creating a positive atmosphere.

Good question, Heckingbottom would agree. IIRC he once said the fans' nervousness transferred onto the pitch. It's one of those questions that's up for debate as to the reasons for it. Hopefully we are better at seeing out games this season, regardless of the reasons why.

On the other hand we might have scored three in first half with the crowd behind us. Canny have it just one way.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kato; 04-08-2020 at 04:34 PM.

I wonder if we'd have got the penalty if the crowd were there...

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    For a lot of that second half on Saturday I could just visualise the atmosphere inside Easter Road. That frustration at conceding after being 2 up and Kilmarnock enjoying a lot of ball would not have made for a great atmosphere. The 5 minutes injury time would also have been too much for some as we tried to hold on for the win!

First Team Breakthrough
    Massive sweeping generalisation here but I think it definitely helps the players, for a long time we’ve watched on nervously and that’s oozed onto the pitch.
    I believe we have some great footballers who maybe just lack a big of mental toughness

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...The 5 minutes injury time would also have been too much for some as we tried to hold on for the win!

At least half of the supporters would have left by then anyway.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Throwing away leads late on has been a problem for Hibs for as long as I can remember. Our fans are always nervous because we have countless memories of pishing away points from winning positions.

its an infuriating and slightly endearing trait of our beautiful club.

Remember a game last season we threw away a two goal lead against St Johnstone or Killie. When it went 2-1 the atmosphere was toxic. Players looked a bag of nerves. Definitely didn't help matters but then if you're at a big club like Hibs you need to have the mental strength to deal with that
    Last edited by Since452; 04-08-2020 at 08:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Remember a game last season we threw away a two goal lead against St Johnstone or Killie. When it went 2-1 the atmosphere was toxic. Players looked a bag of nerves. Definitely didn't help matters but then if you're at a big club like Hibs you need to have the mental strength to deal with that
    Or maybe we should be more supportive.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    They’re professional footballers ffs, if they can’t handle a bit of nervousness from the stands they should give up the game. Good players thrive on it and play better. It’s a two way street, if they score another goal the tension disappears.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    They’re professional footballers ffs, if they can’t handle a bit of nervousness from the stands they should give up the game. Good players thrive on it and play better. It’s a two way street, if they score another goal the tension disappears.
    You say that but there were folk around me pissing themselves with nerves at 3-0 against Aberdeen.

They're professional footballers, not bomb disposal experts, they naturally get emotional and react to the crowd. Same as they do when we cheer them on.