hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scott Allan is to Hibs much more than Paul Hanlon is for instance. :
    Is that cup winning, Championship winning, 405 appearance winning Paul Hanlon who other than a loan spell has only ever been at Hibs Paul Hanlon, never rocked the boat to try and get a big move Paul Hanlon?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Amazing. Then anyone says Lewis stevenson isn’t good enough check the rage. Scott Allan is to Hibs much more than Paul Hanlon is for instance. He’s one of our best players. Same people will be willing McGeough to fail ij Aberdeen. Imagine trying to slag Scott Allan off being a Hibs fan. If makes no sense at all. While trying to hope that Slivka or Halberg become a player safying Kamberi is utter pants and hoping others come good.

Newell and Gogic are very good players. Allan is a level above: trying to run him down is silly:
    Couldn't agree more, Allan is a fantastic player that would be first on my teamsheet, for folk to say we would be a better team without him is absolutely mental. It sounds like some folk wont be happy until we get a midfield full of four sideways passers with zero creative threat pretty much exactly like we had under fenlon.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Is that cup winning, Championship winning, 405 appearance winning Paul Hanlon who other than a loan spell has only ever been at Hibs Paul Hanlon, never rocked the boat to try and get a big move Paul Hanlon?
    Maybe best not mention Championship winning. Utter beamer for this club being in that division. Totally agree with the rest though

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Couldn't agree more, Allan is a fantastic player that would be first on my teamsheet, for folk to say we would be a better team without him is absolutely mental. It sounds like some folk wont be happy until we get a midfield full of four sideways passers with zero creative threat pretty much exactly like we had under fenlon.
    I agree. All he needs is one sublime pass or bit of skill and boom, goal, as we saw at the weekend. Absolutely priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Maybe best not mention Championship winning. Utter beamer for this club being in that division. Totally agree with the rest though
    Nah, I disagree. Those were really ****ty times for the club during and immediately after the post Butcher era, finding ourselves in a league below when the Championship was the strongest in its history. We had some players who stuck around to reverse the damage of that era - Stevenson, Hanlon, Cummings and even the ones who joined in the following months and have since shown that they are Hibernian through and through and I'm grateful to them for not looking for a move so they can say they're a top flight footballer but instead righting some wrongs.

Anyway, back to the topic. Joe Newell's got a bit of everything - can pick a nice pass, is neat and tidy and is a more mobile McGeouch in my mind. Gogic adds a bit of steel so we're not far away from what we need.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Probably worth pointing out that Paul Hanlon is nothing without players like Scott Allan creating at the other end, and Allan is nothing without the likes of Hanlon turning up and doing the dirty work every week.

These are both players we’ll look back on very fondly in 20 years, for the reasons mentioned.

Nah, I disagree. Those were really ****ty times for the club during and immediately after the post Butcher era, finding ourselves in a league below when the Championship was the strongest in its history. We had some players who stuck around to reverse the damage of that era - Stevenson, Hanlon, Cummings and even the ones who joined in the following months and have since shown that they are Hibernian through and through and I'm grateful to them for not looking for a move so they can say they're a top flight footballer but instead righting some wrongs.

Anyway, back to the topic. Joe Newell's got a bit of everything - can pick a nice pass, is neat and tidy and is a more mobile McGeouch in my mind. Gogic adds a bit of steel so we're not far away from what we need.
    I also don’t think it was just the middle 3 who weren’t quite right on Saturday. It was the whole team, back to front, and any solution is going to have to go further than just the middle 3.

Doidge in up front and Boyle to RWB would make a huge difference to me.

I think that middle 3 could be really good together given a bit of time to gel and the right players around them.

Amazing. Then anyone says Lewis stevenson isn’t good enough check the rage. Scott Allan is to Hibs much more than Paul Hanlon is for instance. He’s one of our best players. Same people will be willing McGeough to fail ij Aberdeen. Imagine trying to slag Scott Allan off being a Hibs fan. If makes no sense at all. While trying to hope that Slivka or Halberg become a player safying Kamberi is utter pants and hoping others come good.

Newell and Gogic are very good players. Allan is a level above: trying to run him down is silly:
    Paul is also one of our best players tbf. Excellent since the turn of the year.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    It wasn’t a solid defensive show.

Their goal, silly errors that were evident against Celtic the week prior and last season.

Comparisons with Allan and Latapy are laughable. It’s only their position that could be argued that are similar.

It is appropriate to look at Scott and his game and where he can improve. Of he’s to stay in the team he needs to be more streetwise around our box otherwise we’ll concede goals. On Saturday we were lucky not to concede twice due to his errors. The fact he was hooked at 60 mins suggests his performance wasn’t great.

I’d be delighted if he was in the team as like many have said, he gives us something nobody can do: for he killer pass. It wasn’t good enough in 60% of the games last season and funnily enough it wasn’t good again on Saturday.

I don’t dislike Scott Allan as a person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post

Their goal, silly errors that were evident against Celtic the week prior and last season.

Comparisons with Allan and Latapy are laughable. It’s only their position that could be argued that are similar.

It is appropriate to look at Scott and his game and where he can improve. Of he’s to stay in the team he needs to be more streetwise around our box otherwise we’ll concede goals. On Saturday we were lucky not to concede twice due to his errors. The fact he was hooked at 60 mins suggests his performance wasn’t great.

I’d be delighted if he was in the team as like many have said, he gives us something nobody can do: for he killer pass. It wasn’t good enough in 60% of the games last season and funnily enough it wasn’t good again on Saturday.

If that wasn’t solid defensively then I’ve no idea what is. They had 2 shots on target, one was a wonderstrike from a dead ball situation. We were compact in the middle which unfortunately gives up the wide areas, as we were confident of dealing with crosses, and we did, with ease.

Scott Allan could’ve been better, but I’ve no idea what errors he made that we were lucky to get away with? Add in his moment of magic which resulted in a win and I’ll take that all day long over someone who runs about daft, and gets in peoples faces.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I agree. All he needs is one sublime pass or bit of skill and boom, goal, as we saw at the weekend. Absolutely priceless.
    With that logic we could lose 4-1 and you’d be happy with his performance.

Hypothetically if he gave the ball away three times that directly lead to goals but he provided one exceptional pass that would be priceless?

I don’t want to become attritional like the Dons or Livi but I would rather we struck the correct balance and played with our heads sometimes. If that’s without Scott Allan then so be it.

"Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    If that wasn’t solid defensively then I’ve no idea what is. They had 2 shots on target, one was a wonderstrike from a dead ball situation. We were compact in the middle which unfortunately gives up the wide areas, as we were confident of dealing with crosses, and we did, with ease.

Scott Allan could’ve been better, but I’ve no idea what errors he made that we were lucky to get away with? Add in his moment of magic which resulted in a win and I’ll take that all day long over someone who runs about daft, and gets in peoples faces.
    Correct. Our defenders will have to defend at times and they did that well on Saturday. We weren’t getting cut open. The goalie wasn’t making save after save. We were as comfortable as we’ve been defensively in ages.

If that’s all teams can muster against us going forward I’ll be quite happy. Especially because, with a bit more sharpness and Doidge being fit again, we’ll be better going forward ourselves.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

With regard to Allan, I agree with much of what you say. He's a mercurial player. At his best he's capable of creating and taking chances, unlocking a tight defence and turning a game in our favour. That said, he's had his fair share of mince games and criticism will follow. Why should he be exempt? Hopefully, Hibs find a way to make the best of him and he has a solid season, but in tight games against teams where retaining and winning possession is essential (such as v Hearts and the Hun last season at ER) he will need to improve.

As for Newell, my verdict is still out on him. He had a few decent games during the latter part of the season, but he hasn't convinced me that he offers anything like enough to think he's going to make us a better team and challenge for third place this season.

Gamer IDs

Looks like JR is of a similar opinion with regards to Allan.

Gamer IDs

Played with pace, power and precision today. All without Scott Allan, who would have thought.

Just because we don’t have Allan Coe at me a we immediately become crap to watch and attritional.

Played with pace, power and precision today. All without Scott Allan, who would have thought.

Just because we don’t have Allan Coe at me a we immediately become crap to watch and attritional.

Bizarre that instead of just praising Newell for his performance, you decide to lay into Scott Allan instead.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Joe Newell, top player.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Bizarre that instead of just praising Newell for his performance, you decide to lay into Scott Allan instead.
    Reads to me more that it's aimed at those who would have you think that without Scott Allan on the pitch, Hibs can't play football.

Hopefully it's a wake up call that if you're wanting to start for this team, you absolutely have to work hard and work for the team, no questions asked and no excuses accepted.

Our midfield were excellent today, Newell was excellent, Horgan created tons and worked hard and Hallberg won a penalty with his movement. Really brilliant stuff.

Absolutely made to be a deep lying playmaker or box-to-box midfielder. Can't believe we were playing him out wide. You can tell he's growing in confidence all the time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Absolutely made to be a deep lying playmaker or box-to-box midfielder. Can't believe we were playing him out wide. You can tell he's growing in confidence all the time too.
    I've said it before, he's my first name on the teamsheet each and every week. People were clamouring for us to bring McGeouch back when he fell out of favour at Sunderland; for me he's everything that McGeouch was and a lot more. Recycles the ball well, calm in possession, great distribution, good set pieces but also gets about, can break play up and more.

Fabulous and I don't think we've yet seen the best of him.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Can you clarify where I’ve laid into him?

Historically this was a thread saying Newell should be dropped at Allan’s expense. On today’s showing we coped fine without him.

I can’t quite see how that constitutes “laying into Scott”. Presumably Jack Ross must have been laying into him by not starting him.

Well played Hibs and Joe Newell, maybe Scott will get a game on Wednesday and up his concentration levels in light of that excellent performance today.

Very tidy player

Much better from Newall today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Reads to me more that it's aimed at those who would have you think that without Scott Allan on the pitch, Hibs can't play football.

Hopefully it's a wake up call that if you're wanting to start for this team, you absolutely have to work hard and work for the team, no questions asked and no excuses accepted.

Our midfield were excellent today, Newell was excellent, Horgan created tons and worked hard and Hallberg won a penalty with his movement. Really brilliant stuff.
    Cheers. That’s the case. I want to see Hibs win and win attractively. That’s all. If it’s with or without Allan I don’t really care.

Class today!!clearly getting to grips with his role in the team.

Oozed calmness and intelligence when in possession.

Plenty positives to chew over in the team today.

None of us will look back on Heckingbottom’s time at the club with all that much fondness, but the signings of Newell and Doidge have the potential to be up there with our best in recent years, if a wee bit short of the John McGinn mark.

Can you clarify where I’ve laid into him?

Historically this was a thread saying Newell should be dropped at Allan’s expense. On today’s showing we coped fine without him.

I can’t quite see how that constitutes “laying into Scott”. Presumably Jack Ross must have been laying into him by not starting him.

Well played Hibs and Joe Newell, maybe Scott will get a game on Wednesday and up his concentration levels in light of that excellent performance today.

Newell was as classy as scotty at his best today imo.jack ross knows what he's doing.and it's refreshing to be able to say that about a gaffer for a change.

Excellent player, silky smooth and can get his foot in as well.

Am I right in thinking he's only under contract until the end of this season? Really need to get him signed up for longer if so, very classy operator

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Class player