hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Certainly turning it round and looked good first half on saturday but lets not get carried away here. People suggesting he’s the best midfielder at the club or the first name on the team sheet were probably the same ones saying he was alan o’brien with a burst tyre after a friendly v stirling last year.

Don’t agree with the notion we can’t play him and allan together. I think gogic allows us to do exactly that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Certainly turning it round and looked good first half on saturday but lets not get carried away here. People suggesting he’s the best midfielder at the club or the first name on the team sheet were probably the same ones saying he was alan o’brien with a burst tyre after a friendly v stirling last year.

Don’t agree with the notion we can’t play him and allan together. I think gogic allows us to do exactly that.
    It didn’t seem to work in the midfield on Saturday playing those three together?

Both newell and Allan have to work harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    It didn’t seem to work in the midfield on Saturday playing those three together?

Both newell and Allan have to work harder.
    Thought it worked fine first half, I’d put the second half down to Ross’ game management. I think he decided to sit on the lead.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Thought it worked fine first half, I’d put the second half down to Ross’ game management. I think he decided to sit on the lead.
    You’re possibly right. Traits of last season and also the Sunderland fans’ issue with him in charge. If it works and we win, fine but it’s not really the players fault.

Reminds me of Liam Craig but a better tackler

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Do you think it was Ross’ tactics for Scott Allan to give the ball away multiple times?

What amazes me the most is our tendency to cling to certain players and vilify others so extremely. In Allan’s case, for many supporters he is un-droppable?

On Saturday he gave the ball away countless times which led to the whole team being put under unnecessary pressure. On another week, against better opposition we may have been punished. He spacial awareness, when defending is appalling. This is odd considering his awareness when attacking borderlines on telepathic.

He set up the goal but never had a shot on goal all day. He may have had shielding issues which will have affected fitness but these sort of performances were all too evident last season as well.

Compare this to Joe Newell who had shots on goal, hardly gave the ball away and defended admirably.

Scott Allan can be exceptional but I think we’ll be a better team when he isn’t in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    Do you think it was Ross’ tactics for Scott Allan to give the ball away multiple times?

What amazes me the most is our tendency to cling to certain players and vilify others so extremely. In Allan’s case, for many supporters he is un-droppable?

On Saturday he gave the ball away countless times which led to the whole team being put under unnecessary pressure. On another week, against better opposition we may have been punished. He spacial awareness, when defending is appalling. This is odd considering his awareness when attacking borderlines on telepathic.

He set up the goal but never had a shot on goal all day. He may have had shielding issues which will have affected fitness but these sort of performances were all too evident last season as well.

Compare this to Joe Newell who had shots on goal, hardly gave the ball away and defended admirably.

Scott Allan can be exceptional but I think we’ll be a better team when he isn’t in it.

I would say the opposite. Allan is becoming a scapegoat for some for some reason.

Allan didn’t have the best of games and was hooked as a result. Were we any better in the half hour, after he went off, than we were in the hour he was on?

I’m not seeing who was sitting on the bench that makes us a better team. It was the first game of the season. The lockdown has probably been tougher for him than most. He still provided a moment of quality that helped win us the game and with more games he’ll provide more of those moments.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Allan didn’t have the best of games and was hooked as a result. Were we any better in the half hour, after he went off, than we were in the hour he was on?

I’m not seeing who was sitting on the bench that makes us a better team. It was the first game of the season. The lockdown has probably been tougher for him than most. He still provided a moment of quality that helped win us the game and with more games he’ll provide more of those moments.
    Completely this.

Please nobody say Halberg either.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I would say the opposite. Allan is becoming a scapegoat for some for some reason.
    Scape goat: the word used on fans’ forums to protect those from criticism.

Allan was honking on Saturday but will probably be afforded leniency due to his condition and the pandemic. My main point relates to the fact that people are quite happy dropping Newell in order to keep Allan in the team.

"Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Gamer IDs

I am. Doidge would improve us, and the effectiveness of Nisbet because he couldn’t hold up a shelf on Saturday.

When Doidge is fit, he will start. So who drops out?

I don’t think he is. Everyone is pointing out his massive influence but we have defended badly as a team for years. So it’s still important to look for improvements. If 2 of those crosses had led to goals the defence would have got the blame. We still have too many crosses to defend.

I am. Doidge would improve us, and the effectiveness of Nisbet because he couldn’t hold up a shelf on Saturday.

When Doidge is fit, he will start. So who drops out?
    If you’re playing one up front it’s Doidge instead of Nisbet. If it’s two up front Boyle reverts you his wide position and you drop Wright for me.

Someone needs to play in Scott Allan’s position but I don’t think there is a better candidate than Scott Allan to play in that position.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I don’t think he is. Everyone is pointing out his massive influence but we have defended badly as a team for years. So it’s still important to look for improvements. If 2 of those crosses had led to goals the defence would have got the blame. We still have too many crosses to defend.
    This is the issue. We seem poor in allowing crosses into the box. It seemed on Saturday that Scott was slow to close down on multiple occasions, the worst being a really lazy and thoughtless backward header that must have frustrated JR no end.

He can be so influential but if we want to improve we can’t carry guys that may turn up or not. Teams like Aberdeen, Motherwell and Livi don’t carry passengers.

Gamer IDs

Joe Newell

If you’re playing one up front it’s Doidge instead of Nisbet. If it’s two up front Boyle reverts you his wide position and you drop Wright for me.

Someone needs to play in Scott Allan’s position but I don’t think there is a better candidate than Scott Allan to play in that position.
    Why does somebody need to be in the ‘Scott Allan’ position? I’m also not convinced we’ve paid money for somebody to sit on the bench.

It’s been a problem for a few years that managers have tried to find a formation to suit a player as opposed to a formation that suits a team. Scott isn’t a hard enough worker to play in a 4 hence why we have never played that. It’s also no surprise that he played his best football when in the team with SJM. Even then we had an odd, unbalanced team.

Why does somebody need to be in the ‘Scott Allan’ position? I’m also not convinced we’ve paid money for somebody to sit on the bench.

It’s been a problem for a few years that managers have tried to find a formation to suit a player as opposed to a formation that suits a team. Scott isn’t a hard enough worker to play in a 4 hence why we have never played that. It’s also no surprise that he played his best football when in the team with SJM. Even then we had an odd, unbalanced team.

Because we will always set up with someone playing in that ‘number 10’ type position.

Honestly, you’d think we got slaughtered at the weekend. It’s amazing that we managed to win with our passengers yet Aberdeen, Motherwell and Livingston all lost despite the fact none of them play with any passengers!

Also, some of our best performances last season were playing a four. St Johnstone away, Hearts away, Aberdeen at home when we played a diamond with Allan scoring or assisting in them all. In the Hearts game, one of his assists was even from making a tackle. Imagine that.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 04-08-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Russell Latapy wasn’t a hard enough worker to play in a 4 so McLeish built a team around him.

Scott Allan has shown enough in a Hibs shirt in the past to suggest he’s worthy of similar.

It’ll be a sad day when Hibs prefer more workmanlike players to the more mercurial ones like Allan.

I’ve watched literally hundreds of Hibs games that were crying out for a player like Allan to make the crucial difference.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Russell Latapy wasn’t a hard enough worker to play in a 4 so McLeish built a team around him.

Scott Allan has shown enough in a Hibs shirt in the past to suggest he’s worthy of similar.

It’ll be a sad day when Hibs prefer more workmanlike players to the more mercurial ones like Allan.

I’ve watched literally hundreds of Hibs games that were crying out for a player like Allan to make the crucial difference.
    To play devils advocate, why haven’t/aren’t Arsenal building a team around Ozil?

For what it’s worth I think Allan is good enough to build a team around (although don’t think him and Newell can play together other than against the poorer teams) but despite what the stats show his form has been ropey for a while now.

Allan is 29. We aren’t building a team round him now. We kind of have the last few season. Back on topic Newall is a first pick for now but needs to keep showing it. Nothing wrong with bringing in more energy to midfield

Allan is 29. We aren’t building a team round him now. We kind of have the last few season. Back on topic Newall is a first pick for now but needs to keep showing it. Nothing wrong with bringing in more energy to midfield
    He’s not even been here for the last few seasons!

First Team Regular

Allan gets away with murder for us at times. Absolutely correct, there’s playing a killer pass and there is stupid passes that are never on and we concede possession needlessly. It is also dangerous as our players commit forward. At least for his assist he just played a simple ball to Boyle. Sometimes that’s all it takes. His dink over the midfielder was lovely.

Don’t get me wrong, Allan on song is a joy to watch. Sometimes just keep it basic and retain possession.

He’s not even been here for the last few seasons!
    I think you know what i mean. Its a bit late to be building a team around. Our style has always been to be more attacking than defending. But if we want to be tighter at the back he will have to change his style a bit OR we just accept we will be open to more attacks than other teams.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    The boy Gogic is barely in the door. We’ve been crying out for a proper defensive midfielder that we can count on for years.

Maybe we should look at building our midfield around him.

I think you know what i mean. Its a bit late to be building a team around. Our style has always been to be more attacking than defending. But if we want to be tighter at the back he will have to change his style a bit OR we just accept we will be open to more attacks than other teams.
    Not sure I do. If we change Scott Allan’s style we lose the things he’s good at. We were tight enough defensively on Saturday, kept our shape well and let the opposition pass the ball about in front of us without going anywhere.

Obviously that is one game and we need to see how things pan out. But it was a midfield that had never played together competitively. A back three (and four) that has never played together competitively.

Scott Allan is definitely one (not the only one) to build a team Around because he does things not many others do. He still needs to earn his place, and be better than Saturday, but I think some of the talk about what he doesn’t do is over the top.

Not sure I do. If we change Scott Allan’s style we lose the things he’s good at. We were tight enough defensively on Saturday, kept our shape well and let the opposition pass the ball about in front of us without going anywhere.

Obviously that is one game and we need to see how things pan out. But it was a midfield that had never played together competitively. A back three (and four) that has never played together competitively.

Scott Allan is definitely one (not the only one) to build a team Around because he does things not many others do. He still needs to earn his place, and be better than Saturday, but I think some of the talk about what he doesn’t do is over the top.
    We werent tight. Luckily our defence did very well with all the balls in. On another day we could have missed those interceptions and lost a few goals. For me we have tightened up centrally we just need more out wide. Some of the crosses come in even before it gets to the full backs. Thats the gap for me right now. I'm not for a second disputing the benefit of Allan...... we maybe just cant have two attacking minded players in that midfield three.... which is probably why managers have tried 4231. Newall isnt a player that will sit in.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We werent tight. Luckily our defence did very well with all the balls in. On another day we could have missed those interceptions and lost a few goals. For me we have tightened up centrally we just need more out wide. Some of the crosses come in even before it gets to the full backs. Thats the gap for me right now. I'm not for a second disputing the benefit of Allan...... we maybe just cant have two attacking minded players in that midfield three.... which is probably why managers have tried 4231. Newall isnt a player that will sit in.
    I think that Saturday would have been a notably different game had Dodge been fit and Boyle played on the wing.

With Boyle up front, Killie were able to pin our full backs back (particularly Doig, who had to deal with Burke). If Boyle is wife then the pressure goes in the other direction and Killie would have been defending the wing instead.

We defended very narrow on Saturday. Virtually all of Killie’s attacks came from early crosses on their right hand side, iirc. Porteous and Hanlon won almost everything that came into the box but they had very little to contend with in front of them.

Boyle playing wide is a significant change to the set up, and I’d suggest that both Allan and Newell would have had more attacking influence on the game if we’d been more effective out wide.

Think Newell and Gogic be two very important players under Ross

Left by mutual consent!
    Amazing. Then anyone says Lewis stevenson isn’t good enough check the rage. Scott Allan is to Hibs much more than Paul Hanlon is for instance. He’s one of our best players. Same people will be willing McGeough to fail ij Aberdeen. Imagine trying to slag Scott Allan off being a Hibs fan. If makes no sense at all. While trying to hope that Slivka or Halberg become a player safying Kamberi is utter pants and hoping others come good.

Newell and Gogic are very good players. Allan is a level above: trying to run him down is silly:

The more game time these lads get together the better they'll become. Day one, three points and a solid defensive show which was our Achilles heel last season.

Amazing. Then anyone says Lewis stevenson isn’t good enough check the rage. Scott Allan is to Hibs much more than Paul Hanlon is for instance. He’s one of our best players. Same people will be willing McGeough to fail ij Aberdeen. Imagine trying to slag Scott Allan off being a Hibs fan. If makes no sense at all. While trying to hope that Slivka or Halberg become a player safying Kamberi is utter pants and hoping others come good.

Newell and Gogic are very good players. Allan is a level above: trying to run him down is silly:
    It’s been a very reasoned debate. Nobody is saying he isn’t good enough ( like they do with Lewis and Paul)