hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

@hibs.net private member Bad Habits's Avatar

Joe Newell

Not sure if he has been discussed or not yet. Thought he did a great job on Saturday, got in and amongst tackles and played some neat football. There were a few moments under pressure that he shielded the ball really well and got a simple pass off to the impressive gogic.

Just seen today that he's in the whoscored.com team of the week for his influence in the game.

When he first arrived I saw him as a bit of a soft touch, not willing to 'get stuck in'. My old boss is a Rotherham fan and pretty much told me as much. Good to see him proving me wrong :)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    One of my favourite players for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if he has been discussed or not yet. Thought he did a great job on Saturday, got in and amongst tackles and played some neat football. There were a few moments under pressure that he shielded the ball really well and got a simple pass off to the impressive gogic.

Just seen today that he's in the whoscored.com team of the week for his influence in the game.

When he first arrived I saw him as a bit of a soft touch, not willing to 'get stuck in'. My old boss is a Rotherham fan and pretty much told me as much. Good to see him proving me wrong :)
    He was indeed tidy on the ball and put in a few challenges but let’s not ignore the fact we lost the midfield on Saturday. Needs to do a lot more closing down when not in possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    He was indeed tidy on the ball and put in a few challenges but let’s not ignore the fact we lost the midfield on Saturday. Needs to do a lot more closing down when not in possession.

Aye that’s where I’m at

He done well when on the ball but him and Scott Allan done little to get in the faces of the killie midfield.

Allan does this thing where he pretends to cut off a pass then just stops when the ball goes past him.

We still look very lazy and lethargic in the midfield when we aren’t on the ball. I’d give pass marks to gogic for trying to get out to it.

Shat myself opening the thread incase he'd picked up an injury. Great player

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    First name on the team sheet for me.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

The forwards not holding the ball at all was as much to blame as anything. If they had held it and brought the midfield into the game more it would've been a much easier game.

Different game when Doidge came on..

Did we really lose the midfield?

They had a lot of the ball, particularly in the second half, but could that have been due to us being content to sit in our shape and let them pass it from side to side (something that was analysed on the highlights). Whereas we scored two goals, right through the middle of the park, one from Nisbet dropping deep obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Did we really lose the midfield?

They had a lot of the ball, particularly in the second half, but could that have been due to us being content to sit in our shape and let them pass it from side to side (something that was analysed on the highlights). Whereas we scored two goals, right through the middle of the park, one from Nisbet dropping deep obviously.
    Even if we did I wouldn't blame Newell who was happy to put in a tackle as well as pass the ball about nicely nor Gogic who puts himself about. Would be silly to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Allan either needs to add the things to his game that he sometimes gives the impression that he can't be bothered doing or move aside for another player who can play a killer ball a little less often but will put in similar graft to the other players around them.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Even if we did I wouldn't blame Newell who was happy to put in a tackle as well as pass the ball about nicely nor Gogic who puts himself about. Would be silly to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Allan either needs to add the things to his game that he sometimes gives the impression that he can't be bothered doing or move aside for another player who can play a killer ball a little less often but will put in similar graft to the other players around them.
    You can get grafters no bother. Much better (and easier) to get players to compliment Allan’s strengths than the other way round IMO.

I’ve always thought the criticism of Allan being lazy is, erm, lazy. He doesn’t run about like a headless chicken but, IMO, he’s one that knows when to press. He’s good at winning the ball up high up the pitch. On Saturday, the ball didn’t stay high enough up the pitch. I don’t think Allan should need to be running 80 yards to win the ball back at right back. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he should work hard, but I want him to do it in the right areas. Just like I wouldn’t expect Gogic to be pressing their centre halves. I’ve just never thought Allan is as lazy as is made out.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The Joe Newell redemption arc has been a hibs.net cinematic classic.

You can get grafters no bother. Much better (and easier) to get players to compliment Allan’s strengths than the other way round IMO.

I’ve always thought the criticism of Allan being lazy is, erm, lazy. He doesn’t run about like a headless chicken but, IMO, he’s one that knows when to press. He’s good at winning the ball up high up the pitch. On Saturday, the ball didn’t stay high enough up the pitch. I don’t think Allan should need to be running 80 yards to win the ball back at right back. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he should work hard, but I want him to do it in the right areas. Just like I wouldn’t expect Gogic to be pressing their centre halves. I’ve just never thought Allan is as lazy as is made out.
    I'm not asking him to run 80 yards to win the ball at right back, I'm asking him to press a little more in midfield to allow us to have more presence in the centre of the pitch.

That and he misplaces way too many passes. Yes, he does make some lovely passes but he needs to learn that the hollywood pass isn't always the right one. If he's not learned that at this point in his career then he needs to do so quickly as if we had to lose one out of the midfield three we had the other day there wouldn't be a moments thought about it IMO.

I'm not asking him to run 80 yards to win the ball at right back, I'm asking him to press a little more in midfield to allow us to have more presence in the centre of the pitch.

That and he misplaces way too many passes. Yes, he does make some lovely passes but he needs to learn that the hollywood pass isn't always the right one. If he's not learned that at this point in his career then he needs to do so quickly as if we had to lose one out of the midfield three we had the other day there wouldn't be a moments thought about it IMO.
    He does that, though.

Read this, specifically the defensive contribution part

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/pl...alysis-tactics

Can we not get 3 to do all? Messi contributes defensively. No one is expecting everyone to run box to box but work harder to win the ball back in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He does that, though.

It’s a good analysis.

I do wonder if we’d be looking to leave Allan out against the Old Firm this season. As that summary highlights he has been overwhelmed in the recent games and we’d be better using different tactics against them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It’s a good analysis.

I do wonder if we’d be looking to leave Allan out against the Old Firm this season. As that summary highlights he has been overwhelmed in the recent games and we’d be better using different tactics against them IMO.
    I agree that is definitely worth considering. He has had some decent games against the OF though, but our reliance of him can be taken advantage of. I personally would always play 3 in the middle against Rangers and Celtic. 451 is the way to go against them.

He does that, though.

It clearly says he picks and chooses his time to press. We need more. And again its not about criticising Allan its about what we need to do to improve as a team.

My problem with leaving out our most skillful players is the almost admission of defeat by doing so.
    We've always been at our best when we have had a go and for us to really penetrate against those teams we need the craft of Allan. Let's get that bit of verve back again that we lost during Lennons 'meltdown' (too strong a word really) and Heckingbottoms low block tactics of conceding possession.
    Hopefully Jack showed signs of wanting to use our flair players on Saturday and continuing to improve with them in the side.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Just checking this is the Joe Newell thread, aye?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    It clearly says he picks and chooses his time to press. We need more. And again its not about criticising Allan its about what we need to do to improve as a team.
    So does any sensible player. Running about like a fanny is how you are knackered by 30 minutes. You can keep a solid shape and press when you can isolate someone, make them go backwards, trap them or nick the ball.

It is something we need to improve but more importantly, we need to improve keeping the ball so pressing is less important. We gave it away for fun against Killie.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Just checking this is the Joe Newell thread, aye?
    I mistakenly left Joe out of my post, I consider him to be one of our flair players so include him in the list of those who should start against the OF👍

So does any sensible player. Running about like a fanny is how you are knackered by 30 minutes. You can keep a solid shape and press when you can isolate someone, make them go backwards, trap them or nick the ball.

It is something we need to improve but more importantly, we need to improve keeping the ball so pressing is less important. We gave it away for fun against Killie.
    Multiple crosses came in from our left side when he was on. In a lot of those occasions he should have been closing down the player. He chose not to. Thats not running about like a fanny its making sure you are doing your job. Not much came through the middle on Saturday. The team now need to ensure they close down the wide areas. Every player has a part to play in that.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    excellent player

When did Newell become this wonder midfielder some on here are seeing. He's decent with a nice left peg but for me he's a good squad player who gets a good 6.5 most games, again if we want to be better we'll need better, this season due to Covid that'll not happen. Hopefully Gogic and another energetic midfielder will allow players like Newell, Allan and Mallan to be more adventurous.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It’s a good analysis.

Good point this. Bring him on 60 minutes in.

Testimonial Due
    It has been a mad turnaround for him. He was slaughtered on here this time last year.

His good outweighs his bad by a mile. Since he came back he averages a goal or assist every second game. So if we had to lose one of the midfield from the other day, there would have to be quite a lot of thought put in to it if you were going to drop that kind of contribution.

Gogic and Newell still have a lot more to prove in a Hibs jersey than Scott Allan does. He’s not perfect by any means and does give the ball away at times. A bit like Gogic getting needlessly caught on the ball outside his own box allowing Killie to win the free kick they scored from.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    It has been a mad turnaround for him. He was slaughtered on here this time last year.
    It has, but Hecky played him as an out and out left winger

Guy just oozes class. He may not be hard as nails but he never shirks a challenge and I'm perfectly happy with his work rate.

Best midfielder at the moment in my eyes, and has to play centrally.

I'm still not sure what brought about the overwhelming criticism of him- there was an inexplicable dislike of him before we got out of the League Cup group stages from some fans. think most people see him as a good player now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Guy just oozes class. He may not be hard as nails but he never shirks a challenge and I'm perfectly happy with his work rate.

Best midfielder at the moment in my eyes, and has to play centrally.

I'm still not sure what brought about the overwhelming criticism of him- there was an inexplicable dislike of him before we got out of the League Cup group stages from some fans. think most people see him as a good player now.
    Out on the wing he looked like Alan O’Brien.