hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Joe Newell

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Humble pie time for me. At this time last year, I’d written him off and he did little for the rest of the season to change my mind.

Different story this season and he’s off to a blinder. Long may it continue.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Humble pie time for me. At this time last year, I’d written him off and he did little for the rest of the season to change my mind.

Different story this season and he’s off to a blinder. Long may it continue.
    Was much the same, didn't get off to the best start. To be honest I wasn't that impressed by how PH used some of our players at the time.

Ironic thing is there's plenty Peterborough fans round here and my neighbour said Newell was a good footballer who he thought would go onto bigger things if he gets stuck in and gets a run of games.

I'm delighted for the guy as he's looked impressive.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

This time last year I wasn't as critical as some about Newell, but that was because I was too busy using him to criticise Heckingbottom for signing someone who claimed to be a central midfielder to play in a wide role.

Means I don't have to eat humble pie on Newell as long as I don't admit that I thought he was a dud player on a par with Vela.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This time last year I wasn't as critical as some about Newell, but that was because I was too busy using him to criticise Heckingbottom for signing someone who claimed to be a central midfielder to play in a wide role.

Means I don't have to eat humble pie on Newell as long as I don't admit that I thought he was a dud player on a par with Vela.
    Im confused here Did you always like him or not?

@hibs.net private member
    Contract extension asap please Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Im confused here Did you always like him or not?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Read his passing accuracy was 85% compared with 84% from the previous one week, not sure how that stacks up with others in his position and how many passes he makes. He does look to make forward passes and not just take it of the CB's and pop it back off to them.
    A very good player

@hibs.net private member
    Hopefully he’s ok after having to come off. Not his best game today but every good player has an off day.

Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    Hopefully he’s ok after having to come off. Not his best game today but every good player has an off day.
    He had a poor first half but was getting better as the game wore on. United closed us down so quickly in the first half, but they couldn’5 keep that level of effort over 90 min.

Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    He had a poor first half but was getting better as the game wore on. United closed us down so quickly in the first half, but they couldn’5 keep that level of effort over 90 min.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    2 against 3 in the midfield is never easy. Not at his best tonight it wasn’t a game where we were going to be in total control against an energetic side eager to prove themselves.

He always had 2 players around him, as did Boyle and Horgan to an extent but Daryl has his way of wriggling away from situations like that.

Think today he showed a decent defensive side to his game, especially after being booked so early (both CM's booked after 25 minutes must be close to a record, ridiculous yellows I felt). He done well to track back and stand up attackers and force them down other ways with more Hibs bodies. As others have said not his best performance on the ball but I think he showed another side of his game that a few people were questioning he had.