hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squirrel

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He can’t leave for free this summer
    If there is no meaningful bid that is worth it to the club we can. Many reasons it may be worth keeping him as Saturday showed. I think ideally we get a decent price for him however how likely is that if Celtic are bidding.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    If there is no meaningful bid that is worth it to the club we can. Many reasons it may be worth keeping him as Saturday showed. I think ideally we get a decent price for him however how likely is that if Celtic are bidding.
    Sorry, I’m not following. Why would we let him leave for nothing this summer?

I’m in favour of letting boyle’s contract run down. There are 4 trophies to play for this season and we are already in the semi-final of one of them against a lower league club. We have a good chance of European qualification as well. I don’t think an offer big enough will come in that would be worth putting those goals at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I’m in favour of letting boyle’s contract run down. There are 4 trophies to play for this season and we are already in the semi-final of one of them against a lower league club. We have a good chance of European qualification as well. I don’t think an offer big enough will come in that would be worth putting those goals at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree. In these market conditions we are not going to get a good price for him especially in last yesr of his contract.

Max we would get is £1m. So that has to be weighed up against potential position at end of season. At his age his is totally right to try and get a decent move down the Championship.

He can’t leave for free this summer
    I'm forgetting it's only August lol, was referring to next summer

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    There is a chance he will sign an extension but we need to offer it before January rolls round and his head could be turned by the offers he’ll get. I know he and his family is settled here so that’s an advantage. This has to be treated as urgent by the club, we won’t find another player who will improve as much as Boyler has since he arrived at Hibs. Make him one of our best paid players, give him a good length contract and he will repay us with more great football.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

First Team Breakthrough EAZY-ME's Avatar
    Everytime a player does well at hibs there's always some ex glasgow player that comes out and says one of the old firm should buy them ... then the media keep whipping it up. They hate to see us do well and know he's one of our main threats

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Sorry, I’m not following. Why would we let him leave for nothing this summer?
    Apologies you are right thought you meant next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    We would make more money from merchandise sales by keeping Martin Boyle, beating Hearts in the Scottish Cup semis and (who knows) going for it in the final.

WHen it comes to the Scottlsh Cup and derbies, and the choice of cashing in on a player that frightens the opposition or keeping him for the big game, I'm a 2016 kind of guy, rather than a 2006 kind of guy (when we cashed in on Garry O, giving Hearts a massive boost before the semi final, or when Hearts sold Osman Sow in 2016 just before the Hanlon game and the money spinning reply)
    Whilst i agree with what you have written, to a degree, i can understand if we do sell him. We are always going on about signing young players, develop them and then sell them on. There was widespread approval that we got Nisbet for 4 years for that very reason. If we decide not to take this course, and keep MB, then im not going to critisize the board if they dont spend as much cash in Jan or next summer. Say we get 1 mill, then thats at least 3/4 players on decent wages.

Your way off Commons. Lazy player , lazy commentator.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i know i'm probably in a very small minority but i feel he owes the club at the very least an extension, same type of deal as jason cummings done and at least getting us a decent transfer fee, after at least 215 days out just for knee surgery, yeah i know he didn't ask for it etc etc i just think he can give us sonething back

P.S. commons is way outa line

Can't see us keeping Boyle, although would love to.

Will come down to what someone is willing to pay for a player in the last year of his contract. Only way price likely to go up is if there is more than one club interested.
    Commons is one of Lennon's pals so wouldn't be surprised if he's been put up to say that figure. As a Club always get the impression Celtic do their business through the media to unsettle the player and club.

If he goes I hope that it's south like John McGinn.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Worth a reminder about how the genius that is Alex Mcleish allowed him to slip away to Australia........

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16953749.alex-mcleish-says-what-will-be-will-be-over-hibernian-star-martin-boyles-scotland-future/
    The decision even at the time not to call boyle up was terrible,and still he has improved further.massive unforgivable mistake that will tarnish mcleish's reputation in my eyes forever more.and I really enjoyed his time at hibs as manager and rated him highly.

Unfortunately as often happens, playing for hibs makes it hard to get a game for scotland.in your place will be crap english based mediocre players and old firm journeymen before you are considered.

Dangerous talent boyle,strikes fear into any defence,is the most rounded forward ive seen at hibs,a joy to watch more often than not.

Dreaming he stays at easter road,but preparing myself for his exit.which will be a hard blow.

Hopefully we get the deserved asking price,and the money is spent on an adequate replacement.

Alex McLeish hang your head in shame!!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Wouldn't want to see him go unless it was to the premier league in England, and we have a decent sell on clause.

Angry

HFC and Squirrell will already be in talks...or should be.

If he extends a bit for more money and keeps ripping up defences he will get a move and HFC will get decent a transfer fee.

Win win.

Both know that.

The problem is agents working in their own interests

Do the right thing Squirell!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    The decision even at the time not to call boyle up was terrible,and still he has improved further.massive unforgivable mistake that will tarnish mcleish's reputation in my eyes forever more.and I really enjoyed his time at hibs as manager and rated him highly.

Unfortunately as often happens, playing for hibs makes it hard to get a game for scotland.in your place will be crap english based mediocre players and old firm journeymen before you are considered.

Dangerous talent boyle,strikes fear into any defence,is the most rounded forward ive seen at hibs,a joy to watch more often than not.

Dreaming he stays at easter road,but preparing myself for his exit.which will be a hard blow.

Hopefully we get the deserved asking price,and the money is spent on an adequate replacement.

Alex McLeish hang your head in shame!!

That's a bold claim...

I'd have Griffiths, Fletcher and GoC ahead of him, and that's without thinking hard

Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    Can't see us keeping Boyle, although would love to.

Will come down to what someone is willing to pay for a player in the last year of his contract. Only way price likely to go up is if there is more than one club interested.
    Commons is one of Lennon's pals so wouldn't be surprised if he's been put up to say that figure. As a Club always get the impression Celtic do their business through the media to unsettle the player and club.

If he goes I hope that it's south like John McGinn.
    I hope so but I fear he is not robust enough for the English leagues.
    He'd have a field day at Parkhead though - unfortunately.

Really depends on whether Boyle wants to leave if an offer comes in. If Celtic offer buttons to Hibs but offer to treble Boyles wages then it puts us in an awkward position. Boyle has never struck me as someone who would throw his toys out the pram but it is a short career. Personally I hope we do what we did with McGinn and set an asking price and don't budge unless it's met.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Really depends on whether Boyle wants to leave if an offer comes in. If Celtic offer buttons to Hibs but offer to treble Boyles wages then it puts us in an awkward position. Boyle has never struck me as someone who would throw his toys out the pram but it is a short career. Personally I hope we do what we did with McGinn and set an asking price and don't budge unless it's met.
    He can sign a PCA with another club in 4 months, I think that might be what happens.

Good luck to him.

Chairman has to dig deep now and pay him a decent contract even so we can cash in.

Hibs have looked after Martin when he has has 2 knee injuries so would hate for him not to allow us to cash in.

He’s been a wonderful player for us and deserves a big money move.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    That's a bold claim...

I'd have Griffiths, Fletcher and GoC ahead of him, and that's without thinking hard
    I'd probably call those three strikers rather than forwards,with maybe griffiths being the exception.
    But griffiths being a loaned player I never truly think of him as ours.

But boyle compared to griffiths,I think boyle has more in his locker,and a better attitude.I saw griff give hibs fans the vickys and could generally be a bit stroppy.so aye I'd put him all things considered above griffiths as a forward as well.

Love all the players you mentioned though.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    That's a bold claim...

Riordan. Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    I'd probably call those three strikers rather than forwards,with maybe griffiths being the exception.
    But griffiths being a loaned player I never truly think of him as ours.

But boyle compared to griffiths,I think boyle has more in his locker,and a better attitude.I saw griff give hibs fans the vickys and could generally be a bit stroppy.so aye I'd put him all things considered above griffiths as a forward as well.

Love all the players you mentioned though.

I don't necessarily agree, but I can see your reasoning

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    That's a bold claim...

And on top of that more modern day pile, Derek Riordan.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby